PDA

View Full Version : New Formula Adjusts Historical Baseball Stats for Drug Inflation

che422
02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
The inflated stats produced via performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) have sparked intense debate as to how these stats are to be handled and viewed in the context of the game's hallowed history. Next Monday, two professors from the University of Chicago will hold a press conference to announce an explosive new paper that argues for a new way of assessing and providing historical context to baseball statistics. The new formula revises the Babe's home run total to a staggering 1,030. Here's more: http://sportsmansdaily.com/Baseball_Stats_for_Drug_Inflation.html

misterd
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Cheap publicity stunt. There are far too many variables to consider for this to mean anything.

cambovenzi
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
no offense, but they sound like idiots with a degree.
you cant just go around adding and multiplying people's actual numbers.
sure, there are more homers and runs hit these days, but its not all from steroids, and there is no way of telling all the guys that were roided up.

so lets multiply all the past players numbers to ridiculous totals that didnt happen, and screw over all the newer guys? thats just dumb.

if you want to recognize that some people did steroids in this past era, that is fine.
but rewriting the records on a whim and inconclusive formula is not the way to do it.
there is no way in hell they even have a close to decent formula, as it is just not possible.
they dont know who took roids, and another part of the reason why numbers go up is from rule changes, stronger athletes in general, a more lively baseball(who remembers those shenanigans?), etc etc.

Ortegananda
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
So let's see how many homers did the Babe hit without black players to compete against??..oh 714....How many homers did Hank Aaron hit ..AFTER they lowered the mound??..sorry I don't know...Now I am not for taking anything away from Hank or Babe Ruth...so let's just leave the "records" as they are..

BLooDShoT_GrK
02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Best players in the MLB go by generation at least thats what i think. You cant compare Albert to Babe and Babe to Aaron not fair because the level of competition isnt the same.

che422
02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Guys...sorry if the article mislead -- it's a satire meant to show the futility of aligning stats from different eras, irrespective of those "influenced" by PEDs. The typical approach, particularly when comparing steroids-era stats and those that came before is to revise current stats downward. This obviously takes the reverse approach. King Kauffman of Salon had a recent column that came at this from a somewhat different angle -- he was watching a doc on Don Larsen's perfect game and realized how different that era was from this one...for instance, he was taken with how many of the hitters moved around in the box as the pitch was approaching, something you simply couldn't do in today's game (presumably because today's pitchers throw, on average, much harder, perhaps even with more variety).He came to the conclusion that for all intents and purposes we're talking about two completely different games. I recommend you look for the column, as I'm sure I'm not doing a great job capturing his observations and arguments (www.salon.com).

goldglove212
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
this sounds ********