PDA

View Full Version : Favre out means more for Cassel ?

bagwell368
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Of course I don't believe Brett will retire, but if he can sell everybody on that for a few weeks, we could trade Cassel in that time, and get a bit more.

It sounds like 4-5 teams are talking about him, which is also good for us.

Thankfully more sober minds in the media and here has tossed cold water on the two #1's for Cassel idea. I got axed for talking about a #2 and #3 here last week, but I'm telling you: best case is Detroit's 20th, and that may cost us Cassel and a 4th. That's just fine, better then getting stuck with him.

DeputyMosi
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I hear you. Philly got two second round picks for A.J. Feely from Miami a couple of years ago.When the draft approaches thins tend to heat up. The wild card is of course K.C. Pioli knows Cassell better than anybody so we have to wait and see. It's all bonus but they have to pick right of course if they do land extra picks they can't afford to miss.

The Intimidator
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Of course I don't believe Brett will retire, but if he can sell everybody on that for a few weeks, we could trade Cassel in that time, and get a bit more.

It sounds like 4-5 teams are talking about him, which is also good for us.

Thankfully more sober minds in the media and here has tossed cold water on the two #1's for Cassel idea. I got axed for talking about a #2 and #3 here last week, but I'm telling you: best case is Detroit's 20th, and that may cost us Cassel and a 4th. That's just fine, better then getting stuck with him.

I'm gunning for a first rounder for Cassel, no doubt. I don't think that any teams will fork over two #1's though, like you said. I think that Detroit would be the first choice, seeing that they have another #1 already, but Minnesota would be the perfect destination for Cassel IMO.

superius
02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Cassel will be probably be gone the first week of Free Agency...that's my prediction anyway. I'd say sooner if they were allowed to trade before Feb 27 (or whenever league year ends)

JerseyBrave
02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I just don't see how the Pats can afford to keep both Brady and Cassel. almost 30 million committed to 2 players, would be the most idiotic thing. The Pats should trade Cassel, and then sign Jeff Garcia as a veteran insurance policy, when he is released by the BUcs, Garcia will be a safety net incase Oconnel isnt ready, if brady goes donwn again.

The Intimidator
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Cassel will be probably be gone the first week of Free Agency...that's my prediction anyway. I'd say sooner if they were allowed to trade before Feb 27 (or whenever league year ends)

Cassel can't sign with other teams. He accepted our one year tender, and therefore forfeited his right to sign elsewhere. He can still be traded, but basically we control where he goes.

poppa12645
02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Jeff Garcia Wants to be a starter and hes 40 or so and from what I hear the Vikings are very interested in him

Morgan
02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I just don't see how the Pats can afford to keep both Brady and Cassel. almost 30 million committed to 2 players, would be the most idiotic thing. The Pats should trade Cassel, and then sign Jeff Garcia as a veteran insurance policy, when he is released by the BUcs, Garcia will be a safety net incase Oconnel isnt ready, if brady goes donwn again.

That's exactly what I think the Pats will do. Trade Cassel and pick up a veteran like Garcia in case Brady isn't ready right away. There's no way we're keeping Cassel though.

Super.
02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
That's exactly what I think the Pats will do. Trade Cassel and pick up a veteran like Garcia in case Brady isn't ready right away. There's no way we're keeping Cassel though.

Garcia wants to start

bagwell368
02-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Garcia wants to start

Garcia is my favorite of the 36+ year old QB's out there - because I think he can fit the Pats. If the Pats make the deal for Cassel, there is one less chair available when the music stops. Garcia may be forced to play here as the opportunity guy - Brady is hurt to start with, or gets hurt again, you get to lead. If he plays you get a ring.

MVPedroia
02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I would be shocked if we don't trade Cassel. Our management is too smart too hold on to a 14 mil insurance policy.

The Intimidator
02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth, I would have loved to see Garcia brought in as soon as Brady got hurt Week 1. However, I knew it wouldn't happen because Tampa would have asked for a King's Ransom in return because we were desperate.

Sportfan
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Garcia is my favorite of the 36+ year old QB's out there - because I think he can fit the Pats. If the Pats make the deal for Cassel, there is one less chair available when the music stops. Garcia may be forced to play here as the opportunity guy - Brady is hurt to start with, or gets hurt again, you get to lead. If he plays you get a ring.

i think garcia is going to go somehwere where he can actually start. im guessing vikes

The Intimidator
02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
i think garcia is going to go somehwere where he can actually start. im guessing vikes

I don't think so. The Vikings don't need a one-year solution at QB. If they decide not to stick with Jackson at QB (and it can be assumed that they aon't because they started Gus Frerotte over him), then you can assume that they'll make a trade for Cassel or draft Josh Freeman. Who knows, they may even trade up for Sanchez. Either way, they need a younger QB who can come in and start for years to come.

BigShowShoot
02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm gunning for a first rounder for Cassel, no doubt. I don't think that any teams will fork over two #1's though, like you said. I think that Detroit would be the first choice, seeing that they have another #1 already, but Minnesota would be the perfect destination for Cassel IMO.

As much as everybody wants to deny it. Cassel is a horrible solution for the Vikings. Cassel going from a well stocked weapons inventory (Moss, Welker, Gaffney, etc.) to the vikes would not work at all. Not to mention Cassel is not comfortable at under center. he only likes shotgun. Believe me as a Pats fan i lovee waht he did for the team. And hope we get a good return. But it just doesnt look like the right place.