PDA

View Full Version : N.B.A. makes another mistake? No Jamario in the dunk contest

bman2380
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Nuggets guard J.R. Smith has been named to replace injured Memphis forward Rudy Gay in Saturday’s slam-dunk contest during All-Star Weekend. Gay is out with a left hip flexor strain. Smith is the fifth Nuggets’ player to appear in the contest, and the first since forward-center Chris Andersen was third in 2004. Rocky Mountain Newshttp://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/10/nuggets-smith-be-slam-dunk-contest/

Am I the only one who thought that Jamario should have been the automatic selection here?

ramz.n
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Jamario plays for toronto so i guess he doesn't get as much recognition from the league..but he also hasnt done anything that should label him a sure in for the dunk contest.

Dragan
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
He has had a bad year. Plus he is not dunking as much as last season. He does not deserve to be there.

And the whole argument that he plays in Toronto and that's why he did not get selected is BS. He got selected last year. No?

DaoudS
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
wait...Moon dunks?

HoopsDrive
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Not many dunks and when he put 'em up they weren't really flashy at all (except for that crowning against a Clippers player).

JR has been putting up good slams this year but if they could select him why not get J-Smoove instead? He's been putting up some sick dunks almost every game he's played this season and been posterizing a lot of players around the league. Heck, even Iguodala would have been a better choice IMO. And AI has something to prove, I bet he feels that he got stolen against lil' Nate.

ramz.n
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
He has had a bad year. Plus he is not dunking as much as last season. He does not deserve to be there.

And the whole argument that he plays in Toronto and that's why he did not get selected is BS. He got selected last year. No?

Than can you explain why Yi Jianlian beat bosh in votes and almost beat KG?obviously becauses hes playing in a big market with a high Chinese population..Toronto games aren't televised as much in the States, so if you ask them if they have ever heard of Jamario Moon they would probably say no, and you pretty much answered my question of why he was selected last year and not this year...and i quote"he is not dunking as much as last season".

Mikeleafs
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
wait...Moon dunks?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

bartron_44
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Igoudala was robbed! should have been Iggy

B2theRY
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
wait...Moon dunks?

I was going to say that... .

Dragan
02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Than can you explain why Yi Jianlian beat bosh in votes and almost beat KG?obviously becauses hes playing in a big market with a high Chinese population..Toronto games aren't televised as much in the States, so if you ask them if they have ever heard of Jamario Moon they would probably say no, and you pretty much answered my question of why he was selected last year and not this year...and i quote"he is not dunking as much as last season".

hahahahahhahahahah.

What?

Bob_at_york
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
They like having younger players in the contest so it isn't surprising.

pebloemer
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
All star slam dunk competition is about entertainment. Moon had his chance last year and didn't bring any excitement so no Moon should not be the automatic choice. I figured Westbrook or Alexander would get get the nod as they were the others considered in the fan voting.

pebloemer
02-11-2009, 02:08 PM

I don't know how that is a valid comparison based on the fact that the slam dunk replacement was not decided by fan voting....

Do you honestly believe the only reason Moon isn't at the dunk competition is because he plays for the Raptors????

I agree completely with Dragan on this one.

jrob23
02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Joey Graham has been throwing down nicer dunks than Jamario this season lol...

Kaptain Kanada
02-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Jamario was also in the dunk contest last year and really sucked.

He blew his chance already.

More shats!
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
wait...Moon dunks?

I ask the same thing.

Frank Costanza
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
anyone remember Chris"the BirdMan"Anderson try a dunk over 8 times that was a moment in dunk off history ill never forget, hope superman takes it again or baby nate

BALLER R
02-11-2009, 09:55 PM
wat mistake...smith deserves it more than moon. i love watching that guy play i always hoped raptors could somehow get him

Jacob K.
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
smith was already in the dunk comp.

rapsfan11
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Yi gets more votes not because he plays in a bigger market, it's because all of China votes for those guys... That's why Yao leads voting for centers, and thats y Artest, mcgrady, Scola, are getting votes too...

rapsleafsjays
02-11-2009, 10:25 PM
he doesn't drive as much as last year plus jr smith is a massive dunker i wouldnt be surprised if its him and dwight in the final round

lorenz00
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
wait...Moon dunks?

lol... u cant see in a real game that he can dunk because he scared to drive the ball hahaha.... and yeah moon dunks :):)

Mcnabb_vision
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
This is why hes in the dunk off..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85WnlYIwzs

GO JR!...that was a sick dunk..hope he does it this year, in his nuggets jersey..oh yeaaaaa

bartron_44
02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Igoudala,....was robbed by baby nate the first time. I am not soo impressed with the guys who aren't that tall like Webb and Nate. I am only 5'9 and I can dunk, who cares if you can jump over someone who is 5'2. now if nate jumped over someone like 6'2 then maybe, but spudd webb, I mean it was nice to see, but he should not have won.

hawkaveli
02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
y not rodney carney? and i dunno if im wrong but wasnt chris andersen on the hornets at that time?

blujaysrock
02-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Jamario Moon had some nice dunks last comp, but he failed miserably on his one where he was suppose to jump before the ft line... that was a big fail right there

Musical Tempo
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Jamario was also in the dunk contest last year and really sucked.

He blew his chance already.

^^^100% the truth. He didn't pull of any amazing dunks that left the crowd :speechless:

J.R. Smith is way underrated when it comes to dunking, he is probably top 10 in the league. (Could be because he settles for the 3pointer so much)

I remember him in the dunk of while his days in NOH. He did the behind the back dunk, I was shocked he pulled it off so smoothly. I really want to see his potential especially with Billups being a perfectionist when it comes to setting up players.

Could be similar to Steve Nash and Amare, but a lot more creative, since all Amare had to do was finish it.

It sad news we don’t get to see Rudy Gay.

My questions:

Why didnt they select the 2nd runner up for the voting we did between Rudy, Alexander, Westbrook, I forget who the last guy was.

Musical Tempo
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
y not rodney carney? and i dunno if im wrong but wasnt chris andersen on the hornets at that time?

Rodney Carney isn't all to creative, I watched a coverage of a charity event they held at Memphis, he was just doing power dunks from faraway ( You should be able to google it), but then again thats pretty much what Dwight did for his last dunk and took it home.

And yeah they made a huge mistake, both Chris Anderson, and JR Smith were with the NOH

blujaysrock
02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Why didnt they select the 2nd runner up for the voting we did between Rudy, Alexander, Westbrook, I forget who the last guy was.

I agree, that would have made more sense

Gup
02-12-2009, 05:46 PM

haha nice

You do realize that ANYONE can vote as long as you have the internet. When you come from a country thats over populated, such as Yi, than its not hard to get millions of votes, even if you dont deserve to start.

hawkaveli
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
That's true and if anything they should bring gerald green back in there. He did have some nice dunks the past 2 years. Wilson Chandler would be nice too even though he's a big man

the life
02-13-2009, 08:14 AM
he was in the dunk last year and he wasn't good enough.
he had his chance