PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Coast2Coast: Artest for VC in the works

Chronz
02-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Chris Brossuard just reported this on NBA Coast to Coast, the Rockets are making a package around Ron Artest to acquire Vince Carter. Seems like a fair deal, Artest gives the Nets the expiring contract but also gives them the ability to make the playoffs. Hard to come by for VC, on the other end Vince gives the Rockets a legit number 2 option allowing Tmac to focus on being a 3rd guy.

Raidaz4Life
02-11-2009, 12:15 AM
makes sense for both sides

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I would think a T-mac for Vince would make more sense.

Toronto_Fan
02-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow, how ironic would that be for the two cousins.
I would love to see Vince in a Rockets uniform for one more push.

I like that trade.

GunFactor187
02-11-2009, 12:22 AM
How bout a package consisting of Battier and a couple of picks and some fillers for VC?

td0tsfinest
02-11-2009, 12:22 AM
wow trade rumors are flying from all corners. Right now it seems like VC is the big fish on the block. If he goes to houston, TMAC can sit off a few games(dude really needs some rest, did anyone else see that breakaway dunk attempt yesterday?) A VC and Yao tandem could be deadly and a healthy macgrady for the playoffs could make them the team to beat.

Sigh..if VC and T-Mac stayed in Toronto, this it what it could've been like.

Chronz
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Nope

DRE'-MAC
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=136~25~3421~2834~2763&teams=10~17~17~17~17&te=2990:10-255&cash=

kntresistheheat
02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Man, I love trade rumors:clap::clap::clap:

stevefrancis
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
dam i think this team is good enough just need to get a consistent pg that if tmac is suckin he can pick it up. whats wrong with the 2 best perimeter defenders on the same team. artest might just go to the lakers or boston in the summer

lakers4sho
02-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Now they don't have a defensive stopper :shrug:

IRUAM #21
02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Now they don't have a defensive stopper :shrug:

Battier :shrug:

Lakers09
02-11-2009, 12:42 AM
i feel bad for Artest...T-Mac let him down

albertc86
02-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Interesting. The two cousins on the same team again. They would have crazy chemistry too.

kv9588
02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Tmac and Vince are too similar. And theyre both washed up. Won't work

lakers4sho
02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Battier :shrug:

He has been disappointing this season IMO.

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM

How exactly is Vince washed up?

21/5/5

*Superman*
02-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Wow that would be interesting. Im not gonna get to excited though, because when Artest was traded to Houston, I though it was a ring for Tmac for sure.

kv9588
02-11-2009, 12:53 AM
How exactly is Vince washed up?

21/5/5

...playing for the nets....Slava Medvedenko could do that on the nets

*Superman*
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Nope

I would too, Tmac expires in 2010, Isn't that what the Nets are looking for even if they don't get Lebron.

carter15
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM

u are a very educated basketball fan :rolleyes:

edit - if anything playing on a bad team (nets rnt that bad) wud make it harder to get those numbers...since
a) its hard to get assists since ppl around him cant make shots
b) defenses can focus on him since theres not a lot of other weapons...and he only takes around 17 shots a game.. and is shooting 44% so its not lik hes chucking shots all game to get his pts.

KnickVeteran
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
wow, i actually like this trade for both teams, especially the Nets.

stevefrancis
02-11-2009, 01:09 AM
if vince carter gets traded then i can't hear the PA annoucner say "did you see vc" or "vc for 3333333" at net games.

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:12 AM

thanks for outing yourself. No more posts from you will be necessary.

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
And note to Rod and Kiki: Please don't do this.

IndiansFan337
02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Chris Brossuard just reported this on NBA Coast to Coast, the Rockets are making a package around Ron Artest to acquire Vince Carter. Seems like a fair deal, Artest gives the Nets the expiring contract but also gives them the ability to make the playoffs. Hard to come by for VC, on the other end Vince gives the Rockets a legit number 2 option allowing Tmac to focus on being a 3rd guy.
Just what Houston needs....Another soft guy, who sulks when the pressure mounts. T-Mac wants to get out of the first round, but I don't think VC is the guy to get them beyond that point. Artest doesn't seem to be either now that he seems more focused on launching 3's than meshing with his teammates.

For Houston. But why in the world would NJ want T-Mac right now? :confused:

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:19 AM

LOL exactly. People are basically saying "The Nets should trade a great player for a lesser player."

DRE'-MAC
02-11-2009, 01:21 AM

Because he can still bring in a crowd and because his contract expires in 2010 meaning more room for Lebron

hotpotato1092
02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Makes sense

Fire&Ice2&33
02-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Ohhhh I would lovvee this....

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
This does not make sense for the Nets, at all.

A) The Nets have no starter-worthy SG. CDR is FAR from ready to start on the NBA level.
B) There's a huge logjam for minutes between Simmons, Hayes, and Artest, none of which would be able to play SG adequately.
C) Artest is a worse player than Carter, even factoring his defensive prowess.
D) Vince Carter brings more fans to the Izod Center than Artest - who is best known for being suspended for an entire year - ever will.

This is a bad deal for the Nets, plain and simple.

codes238
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
this actually makes a lot of sense... tmac for vince makes even more sense though...

kb24ap28
02-11-2009, 02:15 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=136~25~3421~2834~2763&teams=10~17~17~17~17&te=2990:10-255&cash=

why in the world would houston do that? :confused:

Chronz
02-11-2009, 02:15 AM
I would too, Tmac expires in 2010, Isn't that what the Nets are looking for even if they don't get Lebron.
Artest expires this year and is viewed as the more durable player

thedfactor
02-11-2009, 02:20 AM

I agree.

NYKnickFanatic
02-11-2009, 02:33 AM
T-Mac and VC reunite? :speechless:

fredv
02-11-2009, 05:39 AM
No for a Tmac+VC reunite. Both old, didn't work in Toronto, won't work right now.

Yes for Artest+VC unite.

astrosmaniac
02-11-2009, 08:40 AM
He has been disappointing this season IMO.

because he is still recovering from his foot surgery. he felt he had to rush back since artest and t-mac were hurt early on

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
No for a Tmac+VC reunite. Both old, didn't work in Toronto, won't work right now.

Yes for Artest+VC unite.

You mean on the Rockets?

lakerboy
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I feel sorry for anybody playing with McGrady. He lets everybody down. If he can't play, he should just retire!

lakerboy
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey how bout a triple trade,.. NJ gets LA's 2nd round pick, Morrison, while LA gets Artest.

Bigpopp50
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I dont pressume to know a whole lot. But i'd love to see Artest come to Phoenix I've been a Artest fan since his early Chicago Bulls days. Trade Amare and Barnes for Artest and Battier

Trouble87
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
wow .... they making a lil family reunion in Houston

feel bad for rocket fans & Yao....

agobbi17
02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
you pare amare next to yao ming. you have a david robinson - tim duncan combo that will wreck the paint every night

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey how bout a triple trade,.. NJ gets LA's 2nd round pick, Morrison, while LA gets Artest.

You really think the Nets will take Adam Morrison and the last pick in the draft for Vince Carter?
:eyebrow:

MJ-BULLS
02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
that be good for the both teams

Bigpopp50
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
you pare amare next to yao ming. you have a david robinson - tim duncan combo that will wreck the paint every night

I think the same was said when Shaq came to phoenix. Amare and Shaq didn't really work out. Maybe Amare and Yao would... Being a local suns fan, i'd like to see Amare out of phoenix. I just dont see him stepping his game up to the next level. But I know for certain he'll act like he has and demand a 20mill contract come 2010. I say he isn't worth it...

SeoulBeatz
02-11-2009, 01:36 PM

hater anyone?

i hate the nets but u Carter isnt washed up. he couldve made the all star team this year.

The nets are a really young team, of course they suck, but Vince and Harris have been the lone bright spots over there and they are both very good.

A T-Mac and VC combo is what ive been waiting for my whole life.

They used to be two of my favorite players back in the early 2000's when they were both top tier shooting guards next to Kobe and AI.

Finally to see the two cousins on the same team could be fun to watch, probably wont work, but it will be fun

NJrockPD
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Raptors 2.0

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Let me repeat, for people still saying this deal makes sense for both sides.

This does not make sense for the Nets, at all.

A) The Nets have no starter-worthy SG. CDR is FAR from ready to start on the NBA level.
B) There's a huge logjam for minutes between Simmons, Hayes, and Artest, none of which would be able to play SG adequately.
C) Artest is a worse player than Carter, even factoring his defensive prowess.
D) Vince Carter brings more fans to the Izod Center than Artest - who is best known for being suspended for an entire year - ever will.

This is a bad deal for the Nets, plain and simple.

sep11ie
02-11-2009, 02:06 PM

2009 Vince Carter-21/5/5...Washed up:confused:

Tom81
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

agreed

02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I dislike this trade as much as the next Nets fan...BUT it can work out both from a basketball and financial standpoint.

1.) SG Issue: Rockets are stocked at SG, and I've read recently that RT likes Luther Head for some reason. So its likely he'll be in a potential deal--if not then Brooks/Von Wafer. NOT a substitute for VC, but it will be a temporary fix.

2.) Why Artest? Artest will provide good scoring and D. Artest might be able to push our youth in NJ as well---Kevin Martin said Artest was critical to his development as a player. We still have a shot at the playoffs with Artest on board. And importantly, his contract expires at the end of this year.

I just hope that we don't have to assume Battier's 20 mill though. He makes 7 million in 2011 and would be our second highest obligation that year next to Harris.

In the end, we would get salary cap relief, a young player, an expiring contract, and hopefully can get another #1 draft pick.

theuuord
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I dislike this trade as much as the next Nets fan...BUT it can work out both from a basketball and financial standpoint.

1.) SG Issue: Rockets are stocked at SG, and I've read recently that RT likes Luther Head for some reason. So its likely he'll be in a potential deal--if not then Brooks/Von Wafer. NOT a substitute for VC, but it will be a temporary fix.

2.) Why Artest? Artest will provide good scoring and D. Artest might be able to push our youth in NJ as well---Kevin Martin said Artest was critical to his development as a player. We still have a shot at the playoffs with Artest on board. And importantly, his contract expires at the end of this year.

I just hope that we don't have to assume Battier's 20 mill though. He makes 7 million in 2011 and would be our second highest obligation that year next to Harris.

That's still an issue at SG. Head and Artest are definitely not worth Carter, IMO, and there aren't enough minutes in the game to allot for Simmons, Artest, and Hayes. Not to mention we already have a PF logjam too when Yi is healthy.

JMG15
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
You really think the Nets will take Adam Morrison and the last pick in the draft for Vince Carter?
:eyebrow:

Ahahaha! Thats even worse than the Pau trade.

02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
That's still an issue at SG. Head and Artest are definitely not worth Carter, IMO, and there aren't enough minutes in the game to allot for Simmons, Artest, and Hayes. Not to mention we already have a PF logjam too when Yi is healthy.

I totally agree with you. But if the Nets make a deal with Houston, this is how I would want it to go:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=136~25~2763~3217&teams=10~17~17~17&te=&cash=

Plus a #1 coming in from Houston.

chicagowhitesox
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
sounds realistic. that would be pretty crazy.

JIDsanity
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Wait, so why do the Nets do this?

theuuord
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I totally agree with you. But if the Nets make a deal with Houston, this is how I would want it to go:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=136~25~2763~3217&teams=10~17~17~17&te=&cash=

Plus a #1 coming in from Houston.

I do like Carl Landry but the two things you have to consider here are:
1) a #1 pick from Houston isn't going to be worth much for the next couple of years, especially if you give them Carter, and
2) We already have a major PF logjam and to add Landry to that mix is just adding gasoline to the fire.

I just don't see a logical deal coming out of Houston.

JIDsanity
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
No one knows about NJ trades, they just happen. If it's been reported it won't happen, so I'm not worried

02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I do like Carl Landry but the two things you have to consider here are:
1) a #1 pick from Houston isn't going to be worth much for the next couple of years, especially if you give them Carter, and
2) We already have a major PF logjam and to add Landry to that mix is just adding gasoline to the fire.

I just don't see a logical deal coming out of Houston.

Again, I agree with all points, but we don't have control of what RT/Kiki do. If they want to trade VC to the Rockets we can't stop them. The only hope I have is that they are able to get 1.) Expirings: Artest 2.)Young players: Landry, Head 3.) draft picks: big ??? here.

And who knows what other trade plans they have to alleviate our logjam at PF. All it takes is one trade (eg. something like the Amar'e deal) to rid our logjam. Its never a bad thing to have a logjam at the 4/5.

theuuord
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Again, I agree with all points, but we don't have control of what RT/Kiki do. If they want to trade VC to the Rockets we can't stop them. The only hope I have is that they are able to get 1.) Expirings: Artest 2.)Young players: Landry, Head 3.) draft picks: big ??? here.

And who knows what other trade plans they have to alleviate our logjam at PF. All it takes is one trade (eg. something like the Amar'e deal) to rid our logjam. Its never a bad thing to have a logjam at the 4/5.

When you're not getting enough minutes to the players that deserve it, players can become disgruntled, etc. A logjam can be bad at any position.

I mean, we obviously have no say in what actually happens with regards to Rod & Kiki's decisions. I just don't think that there's any logical deal with the Rockets that can be made, and I assume that Rod & Kiki will probably see the same thing.
There's no need to force a deal, or multiple ones. Messing with this team's chemistry could very easily tear it apart, even if we get a star like Amare. Like I said earlier, the juice might not be worth the squeeze.

theimortalone
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
If this deal happens, i can't see Amare coming to New Jersey.

Kabowdos
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Nothing seems to be working for HOU. I don't think VC is going to fix their problems. I think they need to get rid of McGrady and Artest and rebuild the franchise with YAO as the center piece. Maybe try getting some one is free agency and trade away an efficient TMac and Artest.

cali72888
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
yea IMO T-Mac is the problem, not only is he injury prone, but he kills the momentum of the team. Rockets will be playing very good for a week or two and then T-Mac will come out of the wood works with some injury.

T-Mac needs to go, he is past his prime and is a liability. Build around Yao.

Ballah0liC1
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
why is everyone saying rebuild around yao hes not as young as many ppl think, we brought in artest in to lead the D and be that third scorer
1) artest calls tmac out saying tmac needs to lead the D, then why the **** was he former defensive player of the year and needs to relie on other to play D.
2) Artest has no offensive gm, him an mac r averaging the same amount of pts and tmac is coming off 2 surgeries in which he came back two months early.

As 4 carter
1)can hit the open three, which artest cannot do.
2)can drive in, artest doesnt want to.
3) not that good of a defender, artest doesnt look like former DPOTY.
4) carter is consistent when given chances, artest very inconssistant EX shoot 1-14 then the next gm 1-10 then the next gm he scores 28

02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
When you're not getting enough minutes to the players that deserve it, players can become disgruntled, etc. A logjam can be bad at any position.

I mean, we obviously have no say in what actually happens with regards to Rod & Kiki's decisions. I just don't think that there's any logical deal with the Rockets that can be made, and I assume that Rod & Kiki will probably see the same thing.
There's no need to force a deal, or multiple ones. Messing with this team's chemistry could very easily tear it apart, even if we get a star like Amare. Like I said earlier, the juice might not be worth the squeeze.

A Logjam at the 4/5 is NOT bad, just ask the Celtics---bigs are always valued in the NBA. But this is not the topic of this thread.

This thread was created because it was reported that the Nets were talking about a trade with Houston centered around Artest's expiring.

The Nets have talked to Houston about Luther Head earlier this year when we were thinking about adding another point guard. So just adding 2+2 if that makes any sense to you.

FOBolous
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
why is everyone saying rebuild around yao hes not as young as many ppl think

because Yao > Tmac. because everyone know Yao should be the player leader the Rockets...not Tmac. because everyone knows Yao should be the focal point of the Rockets...not Tmac. something I've been saying in the Rockets forum for a long time now but nope...you and all the other little Tmac fan boys are too blinded by your love for Tmac to see.

why is everyone saying rebuild around yao hes not as young as many ppl think, we brought in artest in to lead the D and be that third scorer
1) artest calls tmac out saying tmac needs to lead the D, then why the **** was he former defensive player of the year and needs to relie on other to play D.
2) Artest has no offensive gm, him an mac r averaging the same amount of pts and tmac is coming off 2 surgeries in which he came back two months early.

1) Artest is not the only player have called out Tmac. Other players, such as Rafer Alston, have also called out Tmac. Yao allegedly also had an confrontation with Tmac...something Yao denied but knowing Yao and how diplomatic he is with the media...he's probably just doing damage control. Notice the the trend? all the negative reports...all the allege drama...it's all surrounding Tmac. Tmac is the common denominator to all the negative reports about the Rockets. Tmac is the problem.

2. Artest is more reliable than Tmac offensively this season. Tmac has yet to really have a good game and Artest had several already.

Ballah0liC1
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
because Yao > Tmac. because everyone know Yao should be the player leader the Rockets...not Tmac. because everyone knows Yao should be the focal point of the Rockets...not Tmac. something I've been saying in the Rockets forum for a long time now but nope...you and all the other little Tmac fan boys are too blinded by your love for Tmac to see.

1) Artest is not the only player have called out Tmac. Other players, such as Rafer Alston, have also called out Tmac. Yao allegedly also had an confrontation with Tmac...something Yao denied but knowing Yao and how diplomatic he is with the media...he's probably just doing damage control. Notice the the trend? all the negative reports...all the allege drama...it's all surrounding Tmac. Tmac is the common denominator to all the negative reports about the Rockets. Tmac is the problem.

2. Artest is more reliable than Tmac offensively this season. Tmac has yet to really have a good game and Artest had several already.

I never said yao wasnt better than tmac now, but yao is not young i want the rockets to win now not 5 years later,
2) u kinda just proved my point on artest of being inconsistant hes had big games but hes only avg .2 more than tmac

dillon8928
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Vc and tmac dangerous couple

FOBolous
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I never said yao wasnt better than tmac now, but yao is not young i want the rockets to win now not 5 years later,
2) u kinda just proved my point on artest of being inconsistant hes had big games but hes only avg .2 more than tmac

i don't deny that Artest isn't doing so well this season either but at this point...Artest > Tmac

fairandbalanced
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM

2 family members with history of injury playing same position makes no sense to me. Without Artest. they will be one of least defensive NBA teams.

Ballah0liC1
02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
2 family members with history of injury playing same position makes no sense to me. Without Artest. they will be one of least defensive NBA teams.

well i quess u havent seen the rockets play this year

FOBolous
02-11-2009, 04:36 PM
well i quess u havent seen the rockets play this year

what we need is JVG as our coach again

slack_justin
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
how bout this , mcgrady to detroit for iverson and any role player they want , sorry detroit fan :)