PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Vince Carter to the Spurs for Roger Mason and filler?

Faneik
02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

"...the Spurs recently called the Nets to inquire about Carter's availability.

A deal would be extremely difficult to make, however, because among those players San Antonio is making available, the Nets have interest in only Roger Mason -- now arguably the game's top 3-point shooter, and one of its best closers -- and backup point guard George Hill."

Full Article (http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/02/new_jersey_nets_vince_carter_g.html)

Opinion article by a writer of the Newark Star-Ledger.

what54!?
02-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't do it if I was the spurs. Those two have given them good mins and they need the young legs

Joshtd1
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Seen it before. Doubt it happens though.

With the way Mason and Hill have been playing this year, I really dont know why Spurs would do it.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Mason makes what, $3.5 million? The Spurs would have to give up 3-4 players for him.

Joshtd1
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Yea Mason makes 3.5 I believe, and then Hill's rookie contract.

The other reports were that Mason and Bowen would be thrown in, but they would be waived and come back to us.

Wilson
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I really think this trade would hurt the Spurs a lot more than it'd help them. Vince Carter wouldn't be any better than Mason is for them now, since he'd have to play as a spot up shooter with Tony Parker running the point.

Sport
02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
From a Spurs standpoint, I dont like it.

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I really think this trade would hurt the Spurs a lot more than it'd help them. Vince Carter wouldn't be any better than Mason is for them now, since he'd have to play as a spot up shooter with Tony Parker running the point.

:speechless:

Wilson
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM

That's not to say that Mason is a better individual player. I just think he's a much better fit with the Spurs.

Carter is a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be as effective as he can be (and as effective as he needs to be to earn the money he's making). That doesn't mesh with the Spurs because they have Tony Parker controlling the ball, then Manu does when Parker's on the bench.

Mason, on the other hand, is just as reliable a spot up shooter, whilst being much younger and much cheaper.

Frank Costanza
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
bad move for the nets, they have something going with carter and harris, mason wont fill the void left by carter

3lite-Raps
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
it would have to be something like

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=136~3422~3438~1721~2805~846&teams=24~24~17~17~17~17&te=&cash=

but i dont know why either team would make this deal they both have great chemistry

Hustla23
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Seems like a dumb trade for both teams.

Lakers4ItAll
02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Spurs don't need a trade

JIDsanity
02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Its not a rumor, it just says that the only player that NJ has intrest in is Roger Mason. That just means it is very unlikely a deal gets done, because that isn't fair value.

_Sn1P3r_
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
If I were the Spurs, I wouldn't do it. Mason and Hill have been impressive plus they are still fairly young.

JabberJaw
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Bad move by the Spurs if they lose Hill in the deal. He looks like he is going to be a very good piece for their future, plus adding Vince and losing to younger guys makes them a team full of guys on their way down. Vince can still hoop, but I don't think that is the right move. There are probably better guys to out there also.

Missing56&33
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I think its a good move for the spurs. Pop will use Carter the right way. If u have a chance to get Vince i say do it. IMO I think it makes them the favorite in the west if they bring in Carter

Missing56&33
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
there are three types of players in the nba. all have talent but you have ....mediocre, good, stars ...Vince is a star this would be his shot at a title. Do spurs

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
This will not happen.

Kaptain Kanada
02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Why bring in Wince and screw up what the Spurs have going already?

Punkindrublic03
02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I know that Tim Duncan is crossing his fingers this deal goes down so that Vince Carter doesn't dunk on him anymore! HAHAHAHA seriously how many times has Duncan been smashed on by vince... hell VC started dunkin on timmy in college lol

Wilson
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
there are three types of players in the nba. all have talent but you have ....mediocre, good, stars ...Vince is a star this would be his shot at a title. Do spurs

The most succesful teams are usually a good mix of stars and good playes (or role players). A team full of stars will struggle to win, because there are too many guys who need the ball.

Great role players are essential for team chemistry and ability, and guys like Roger Mason and George Hill are great role players for the Spurs.

colinskik
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm not so familiar with those San Anton players, but taking away Vince from the Nets would def leave a hole that I don't think those players could fill.

elnino9
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
really cant see why the spurs would do this. mason and hill have been playing well and they have a good thing going. no point to break it up now

LAKERMANIA
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I dont like it for the Spurs.. Why fix something that isn't broken? Vince will mess up the chemistry and wont be a good fit for the Spurs.

marques724
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
This trade just makes the spurs that much older by trading young talent. Plus they need another big man to help Duncan more than a perimeter player in my opinion.

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
You guys have to be kidding me if you don't think this will elevate the Spurs.

A lineup of:

Parker
Vince
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto/Thomas

with Manu and Finley off the bench?

You don't have to worry about Vince behaving because he knows it is Duncan's team.

NYMetros
02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't think I would do it if I were the Spurs. George Hill and Mason have been critical to their success this season. Both of them had major roles in beating the Celtics the other day. Carter is a good player, but I just don't think it's worth it.

cuttygiantsfan
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
^^ but where does vince go because manu needs to get into the game and he come in for finley, vince would maybe get 12-15 mins

Missing56&33
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
mason and hill couldn't hold vince's jock strap even with his old depleted body. I would actually watch the spurs if vince went there

Wilson
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
You guys have to be kidding me if you don't think this will elevate the Spurs.

A lineup of:

Parker
Vince
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto/Thomas

with Manu and Finley off the bench?

You don't have to worry about Vince behaving because he knows it is Duncan's team.

Think of it this way: Tony Parker is going to control the ball on the perimeter, so he's either going to pass it to Duncan or drive to the basket. When he decides to drive, or when Duncan makes a move inside, then Mason is spotting up to stretch the defense. That's basically what Carter would have to do as well (there wouldn't be enough room in the paint for him to do anything there), so he'd be doing the exact same thing as Mason, only costing $30 million more.

Gup
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Carter would only mess up things in Spur country

T.O.Fan:)
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Nets are getting raped in this deal.

phila_gorilla
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't do this from either team's standpoint. As stated before, Mason and Hill would not fill the void left by Carter. Also, Mason fits with the Spurs perfectly. He's not a big time scorer, which he would have to be for the Nets.

Durant is hype
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
If I were the Spurs, I wouldn't do it. Mason and Hill have been impressive plus they are still fairly young.

Hill is going to be good.

Durant is hype
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I dont like it for the Spurs.. Why fix something that isn't broken? Vince will mess up the chemistry and wont be a good fit for the Spurs.

Exactly,If Carter comes in it's going to take a while for them to have the same chemistry they seem to have right now.

todu82
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The Spurs don't do this. Vince Carter would ruin the chemistry on that team.

thedfactor
02-10-2009, 06:00 PM
As a Mavericks fan I say the Spurs go for it. Is Vince Carter going to make them better? Most likely, but in the long run Carter is older and isn't the same anymore. On the plus side the Spurs will lose two younger (Mason is 28 i believe) players in Hill and RM. For Mason it would be a slap in the face though, so the Spurs need to take in consideration some loyalty here. Mason has won several games this season for the Spurs and is a huge reason for SA being the 2nd seed out west.

Raidaz4Life
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Seems like a dumb trade for both teams.

my thoughts exactly

Kabowdos
02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
If the Spurs don't think that Mason and their other supporting cast can take them to the finals than they should go definitely get Carter. Why? Duncan is just as old as Carter and they will go after the title to try and get one more (and VC's first).

If I was the Spurs, I wouldn't do it. They are hot right now and probably are only going to get better.

JJ81
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Bad trade for the Spurs

Faneik
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
nvm

nd4T.O.
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
as a lakers fan i love it haha....but if im a spurs fan im getting raped in this trade

YankeeFan89
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I think if VC comes to the Spurs...it would help them because I think the spurs really lack a go to wing man..Manu is a good player but VC is very clutch IMO.

Also makes your team very deep and takes pressure of duncan,parker and manu..your adding another "allstar" to your team. It helps in the short run IMO.

Spurred1
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
I do not want this trade to happen. The Spurs are fine as is right now with Mason and Hill-esp. with Mason being the clutch shooter for a few games. I don't care if Vince can do acrobats and dunk the ball all game long-he just will not fit in. Nothing against him, I just value what the Spurs have going on right now much more.

Rocco007
02-10-2009, 07:26 PM
The Spurs need to pull this off..They need another impact player..They will only be in contention until Duncan retires..He's got a few good years left..There's no need to wait on developing players..Hill is a nice PG but Parker is too young to replace any time soon..Unfortunately this is where they are..But they do draft well...Personally, I think they need help upfront..

Parker
Carter
Ginoboli
Duncan
Thomas?

and restock the bench..

Joshtd1
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
^^Thats why if we trade for someone, I'd rather it be a good big. Our back court is fine.

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Same thread just different paper. This won't happen because the Spurs have to move 4-5 players just to get a 32 year old non defending guard. Mason has fit in very well and is much younger. He has two daggers that have buried very good teams in the Lakers and Celtics this year. I don't know how we'd even look at it other than that.

raptor fan
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
i dont see this deal happening; the spurs dont have the pieces to get a deal done. i agree, the spurs should add a big like joe smith or something

mrblisterdundee
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
The Spurs should not acquire Vince Carter. They can reference Phoenix as a reason why more than three lead players creates trouble.

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 12:44 AM
The Spurs need to pull this off..They need another impact player..They will only be in contention until Duncan retires..He's got a few good years left..There's no need to wait on developing players..Hill is a nice PG but Parker is too young to replace any time soon..Unfortunately this is where they are..But they do draft well...Personally, I think they need help upfront..

Parker
Carter
Ginoboli
Duncan
Thomas?

and restock the bench..

Manu would come off the bench still.

SJSHARKIES
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Spurs don't need him, he won't fit with the system. I think it's a bad trade.

albertc86
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
That trade makes little sense to me. What does this do to Parker and Manu? Bad trade.

lakers4sho
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Spurs are about to make a mistake if/when they do this.

Trading away a serious frontrunner to be GOAT?? :pity:

theuuord
02-11-2009, 01:09 AM
People here are insane .... A 21-5-5 guy and one of the best shooting guards in the league - who has been playing his butt off ALL season, i might add - isn't going to help the Spurs more than a role starter in Roger Mason... right...

seriously. the hate on VC is sickening.

and no, there is no deal. The piece was how a deal WASN'T going to happen. Because it was so wildly unrealistic. Because the Nets are not that dumb.

IversonIsKrazy
02-11-2009, 01:47 AM
spurs would have to give up 3-4 player to make the salaries match. we finally have a kind of young role players with Mason, Hill, Bonner, and they want both of them for VC. Which i dont think we should do, our back-court is pretty good.

PG: Parker/Hill
SG: Mason/Ginobili
SF: Finley/Bowen/Udoka

I think Bonner has been playing pretty good for us, one of the top 3 point % in this league. So our front-court doesnt really need help neither.

C: Bonner/Oberto
PF: Duncan/Thomas

Out of the people that are available and is realistic, i'd go after Chris Wilcox to boost our front court bench.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1731~2805~866~874&teams=24~25~25~25&te=&cash=