PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Remember This....Ray Allen Diss

ProdigyI
02-10-2009, 01:57 AM
I remember on draft day when it was announced that The Celtics had traded for Ray Allen.

All the commentators were saying how bad of a trade it was for the Celtics because Allen was old, over the hill, past his prime ect.

Then literally the second KG came aboard, it's like everybody pulled a 180 and were saying how great all 3 of them were going to be and all that.

I just find it funny and odd that many people were saying how bad Allen would be and then completley change their minds.

GoatMilk
02-10-2009, 01:59 AM
well damn.
that much pressure that Allen was gonna have was put on KG.
Allen could then become a solid 2 and the C's would still have KG and Pierce.
turns out Allen still has some gas and the C's are winning

Talick
02-10-2009, 02:23 AM
what's the diss?

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-10-2009, 02:28 AM
It was probably a correct statement prior to the trade for KG. You have to remember that PP was talking about being traded at the time, they had been losing for a while, what they had was not working. I think everyone thought they were going to try to start over with that high draft pick.

A team with Pierce and Allen would be nice, but they would not win a championship. And having two guys over 30 as your main players, and knowing it would not be enough to win a championship would have been bad. But they got KG and the rest is history

Lakers09
02-10-2009, 02:34 AM
funny how sports casters change their toughts by the play litterally

SJSHARKIES
02-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Yeah that is pretty stupid, it goes from, "look how old he is," to "The Big Three."

Point being don't listen to ESPN experts on everything, they change their minds all the time.

ProdigyI
02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
It was probably a correct statement prior to the trade for KG. You have to remember that PP was talking about being traded at the time, they had been losing for a while, what they had was not working. I think everyone thought they were going to try to start over with that high draft pick.

A team with Pierce and Allen would be nice, but they would not win a championship. And having two guys over 30 as your main players, and knowing it would not be enough to win a championship would have been bad. But they got KG and the rest is history

Well at that time they had Allen, Pierce, and Al Jefferson....So a championship wasn't necessarily out of the picture totally.

ProdigyI
02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah that is pretty stupid, it goes from, "look how old he is," to "The Big Three."

Point being don't listen to ESPN experts on everything, they change their minds all the time.

very true

cameroncrazies2
02-10-2009, 02:47 AM
The reason nobody believed in the trade then was because KG wasn't aboard yet. I felt the same way when the news came out. It was surprising because it was like this was the help Pierce was suppose to get? I wasn't expecting another big trade after that, so it wasn't just that he was old or wasn't going to be able to contribute it was the fact that nobody expected the KG trade after.

Joshtd1
02-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Hmm..media and analysts saying one thing, then flip flopping to a complete different thing. Would have never guessed.

colinskik
02-10-2009, 03:00 AM
That's because without KG aboard Allen really was "too old" to be the superstar of a team, and once they got KG there were three legitimate stars who complement each other nicely, each big time in their own right, thus "the big 3."

It's not flip-flopping if the issue at hand has changed.

djeller1139
02-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Maybe it wasn't such a good trade? Jeff Green has done great and could/should become even better.

Al Jefferson and Jeff Green would have been a pretty good start into the future had they not made those trades.

Still, it worked out last year so it has been worth it.

conway429
02-10-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't really remember anyone "dissing" Ray Allen at the time.
And I disagree with everyone here saying he was too old to still make any significant impact on the team himself. Did he not average 26.4 points per game that season?

ItsTheLastAce
02-10-2009, 04:53 AM
i remember at the time there was a 4 or 3 team trade in place where they would of gotten j oneal and ray would go somewhere else or he wasnt even part of cant remember for too sure, kg to lakers, odom and bynum to minnisota and . something along those lines cant fully remember. i think that alot of people thought j oneal would of been a better fit wit PP than ray.

when kg cam on board he did fit well with pp and kg, he didnt need to be a superstar like most thought he would have to be.

bostncelts34
02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
yea ididnt understand it. We traded west and j. green for a future HOF (hopefully).

We still had

Rondo/telfair
Allen/Allen/G. Green
Pierce/Gomes
Jefferson/Scal
Perkins/powe

still a great starting 5..i didnt put posey/house because who knows if they would have came with no KG. THat 5 stillwould have HAD a chance, probabaly not won, but been competetive.

kntresistheheat
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I must say you do put up some pointless threads up:mad: (No Disrespect)

JJ81
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
It was probably a correct statement prior to the trade for KG.

i agree

BTownTeamsRKing
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
before that summer, i said this summer is going to be the most important summer for the Celtics in a long time.

They were halfway through rebuilding. they had the roster someone posted above (except -ray, +delonte, wally), but Pierce wasnt getting younger. DA had a decision to make:

1. Find good help for Pierce and trade away the young assets and risk it all.
2. Trade Pierce and build around Big Al

i loved the Ray Allen deal for a few reasons. he was always a favorite player of mine and it gave us a different BIG 3. If the Celtics didnt get KG, they would have traded Perkins in a package for somelike Cammby.

no doubt Ray was dissed, but so was Pierce for 8 years of his career.

Testaverde16
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
It was because Pierce needed big man help, not a shooter, once they both got KG though, they both had the big man that they both needed.

I don't remember dissing Ray, but I know I didn't think much of the squad when they only added him.

op12
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Well at that time they had Allen, Pierce, and Al Jefferson....So a championship wasn't necessarily out of the picture totally.

this is true, they also had a lot of good youngs with these 3. the problem was this would have only made them a decent contender in the east and probably wouldnt put them over the top. everybody thought ainge was just trying to keep his job by only slightly getting better for the time being and giving up a high pick and good young in delonte. then when pierce and allen retired they would be in complete rebuilding mode again likely without winning anything. people have hated on ray all along, everybody thought he wouldnt be able to play after his surgeries, they were wrong.

mrblisterdundee
02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
It's just risky taking old guys. The Celtics would have been just as good (if not better) had they taken a young guard. There are plenty of them out there that would have cost less than Allen.

Afridi786
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Celtics would still be bad without KG.