PDA

View Full Version : James, Gasol named players of the week

JJ81
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers

Feb. 3 vs. Toronto: Tallied 33 points and seven rebounds in a 101-83 win over the Raptors.

Feb. 4 @ New York: Poured in 52 points and added 11 assists and nine rebounds in a 107-102 win over the Knicks.

Feb. 8 vs. L.A. Lakers: Recorded 16 points 12 assists and eight rebounds in a 101-91 loss to the Lakers.

Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers

Feb. 2 @ New York: Recorded 31 points, 14 rebounds and five assists in a 126-117 win over the Knicks.

Feb. 4 @ Toronto: Posted 31 points, 15 rebounds and four assists in a 115-107 win over the Raptors.

Feb. 5 @ Boston: Scored 24 points and added 14 rebounds in a 110-109 overtime win over the Celtics.

Feb. 8 @ Cleveland: Tallied 18 points, 12 rebounds and six assists in 101-91 win over the Cavaliers.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/02/09/players.of.week/index.html

I thought Kobe would get it but I'm happy with Gasol getting it too.

Chronz
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Why would you think Kobe wouldve gotten it?

Er1c
02-09-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah gasol! mr. consistant

Lakers4ItAll
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Kobe dropping 61 should have earned him the spot, but I'm ok Gasol

Lakers09
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I think Gasol got it because those are some damn consistent #'s. Kobe was a lil off during some of the road trip

da wood
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
well he should have got it based on the way he shut labron *** down while he was sick.

still1ballin
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Well deserved. ( Gasol )

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 01:11 AM
well he should have got it based on the way he shut labron *** down while he was sick.

:mad::mad:

what54!?
02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Thought kobe would have got it but whatever

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 01:16 AM
:mad::mad:

Damn JB. Why do you get so mad when Kobe does something great?

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Damn JB. Why do you get so mad when Kobe does something great?

It ain't getting mad, it's that someone brings up something to just stir up controversy in a thread that isn't even about that.

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 01:24 AM
It ain't getting mad, it's that someone brings up something to just stir up controversy in a thread that isn't even about that.

What controversy? Kobe did a great job of sealing and playing prevent D in the first two quarters against Lebron and a little bit in the third quarter. The Lakers team defense did the job from there. No controversy; it's a fact.

Plus, it does have to do with the thread because he is making a case for Bryant to get player of the week honors (although Pau was more consistent and their numbers were pretty much equal).

Hellcrooner
02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Every Faker that said anything related to Kobe in this tread instead of just congratulating Pau and being honored someone on our TEAM got the price should not deserve to be called Laker Fan.

Death to the Kobe Monks! Death to the Fakers! Death to the Bandwagoneers!!!!

Long live to the Lakers.

JJ81
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Because he had a great week, scoring 61 in one game and playing solid defense vs LeBron

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Detroit's Richard Hamilton, Golden State's Stephen Jackson, Houston's Yao Ming, Memphis' O.J. Mayo, New Jersey's Devin Harris and Utah's Deron Williams.

Kobe wasn't even a nominee? :rolleyes:

JJ81
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Every Faker that said anything related to Kobe in this tread instead of just congratulating Pau and being honored someone on our TEAM got the price should not deserve to be called Laker Fan.

Long live to the Lakers.

That was just a stupid post.

JJ81
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I think Gasol got it because those are some damn consistent #'s. Kobe was a lil off during some of the road trip

He wasn't off ill, he was just ill during the Cleveland game. He played every game.

JJ81
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM

It's about the player of the week... and some thought Kobe could have gotten it too... what's wrong with that? I thought this was a discussion board?

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
What controversy? Kobe did a great job of sealing and playing prevent D in the first two quarters against Lebron and a little bit in the third quarter. The Lakers team defense did the job from there. No controversy; it's a fact.

Plus, it does have to do with the thread because he is making a case for Bryant to get player of the week honors (although Pau was more consistent and their numbers were pretty much equal).

Like it has been mentioned, how exactly does him defending Lebron have to do with the player of the week?

It's like me saying Vince should have been player of the week when he shut down Kobe earlier this year.

Gibby23
02-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Like it has been mentioned, how exactly does him defending Lebron have to do with the player of the week?

It's like me saying Vince should have been player of the week when he shut down Kobe earlier this year.

But his team lost, they don't usually give it to losers.

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Long live to the Lakers.

lol. What are you talking about?? Kobe Monks?? lol, nothing more needs to be said, that was classic.

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I can't reccall Vince Carter shutting down anyone since he's been in the NBA.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
the king!

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Great to see Pau get some recognition, he's been great for the Lakers all season...

Unruly Fan
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Great to see Pau get some recognition, he's been great for the Lakers all season...

Not to mention him avging close to 25+ ppg and 10+ boards for the week.

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I can't reccall Vince Carter shutting down anyone since he's been in the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008112513

Bryant had difficulty with Vince Carterís defense, going 5-for-17 from the field in 28 minutes and finishing with 12 points in the Lakersí fifth straight victory. He shot 1-for-9 in the first half and didnít get to the free-throw line until 1:11 remained in the second quarter. The last time they met, the two-time scoring champion was outscored 27-6 by Carter and shot 3-for-13 with no free-throw attempts.

Gibby23
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Lakers beat them by 27 and Kobe didn't play in the 4th..

kingkobe
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

And Carter went for 14pts. It's not like he did a great job on the O end either.

Kobe had a great week:

61 against Knicks
36/9/5 against Raps
26/10/5 against Boston
19 w/ flu against Cavs while shutting down LBJ

Thats pretty good to be atleast considered in the running. But I guess, they don't consider him for POW anymore. He'll just get the Player of the Month haha.

Gasol had an awesome week too.

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 01:18 PM

61 points, 36 in Toronto, a win against the Celtics, and shutting down Lebron constitutes as a pretty damn good week overall. Like I said, I feel Pau is deserving of the award. Just playing devils advocate.

LOL @ the Vince comment. JB, don't try to fool me muh man. I was at that game and enjoyed every minute of it. The Lakers won by 29 points I believe. The Lakers just dominated the Nets in the second half and Carter had nothing to do with Kobe having a poor shooting night. The Nets doubled/tripled Kobe and Kobe missed a couple bunnies.

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
61 points, 36 in Toronto, a win against the Celtics, and shutting down Lebron constitutes as a pretty damn good week overall. Like I said, I feel Pau is deserving of the award. Just playing devils advocate.

LOL @ the Vince comment. JB, don't try to fool me muh man. I was at that game and enjoyed every minute of it. The Lakers won by 29 points I believe. The Lakers just dominated the Nets in the second half and Carter had nothing to do with Kobe having a poor shooting night. The Nets doubled/tripled Kobe and Kobe missed a couple bunnies.

It was a 2 point game at the half.

I saw the game as well and the article about the game or the summation hit the nail on the head.

Did you dodge reading the summary of the game for a reason? :D

Bryant had difficulty with Vince Carter’s defense, going 5-for-17 from the field in 28 minutes and finishing with 12 points in the Lakers’ fifth straight victory. He shot 1-for-9 in the first half and didn’t get to the free-throw line until 1:11 remained in the second quarter. The last time they met, the two-time scoring champion was outscored 27-6 by Carter and shot 3-for-13 with no free-throw attempts.

So not only this last time, but the time before, Kobe has struggled with Vince on him. Not sure why though.

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
It was a 2 point game at the half.

I saw the game as well and the article about the game or the summation hit the nail on the head.

Did you dodge reading the summary of the game for a reason? :D

So not only this last time, but the time before, Kobe has struggled with Vince on him. Not sure why though.

I know. I was at the game and mentioned in my post that the Lakers dominated...in the second half.

LOL. Do you want to take a guess to why he played bad that game? I'll give you a few seconds...

That was the game in which Kobe first dislocated and shredded his ligaments in his pinky on his shooting hand. He got injured while trying to intercept a pass going to Jason Kidd who was a Net at the time. He wasn't use to the bad finger yet and proceeded to have a bad game. He would even play badly the next game until he got a handle on the whole "not having a pinky" problem. :D Nice try JB. ;)

Hellcrooner
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Kobe Monks= People who cant see beyond their idol and jerk of to every move he does and do not care for team or anything else but their God , Blind Fools.Would fight any observation or reflexion with pointless Dogmas.

the revisited new millenium version of Jordan Monks, but those at least showed some allegance to the Bulls.

Lebron is starting his own moronic cult as of late.

Basically i was pointing out LAKERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe.

If you feel different then you dont deserve to call yourself a Laker Fan.

Man i woudl sign to get the next 5 rings consecutively at the expense of Kobe having a career ending injury, yo just wheres the dot line!!!!!

Kobe Monks woudl say Sacrilege!!!!!!!!

Is as stupid as saying they wouldnt want shaq For Walton , Mihm and some more **** third stringer because then People willstill say Kobe couldnt win withouth Shaq, come on ****!!!! the RIng is what matters, anything else.!!!!!

It drives me crazy.

Hellcrooner
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
It doesnt get more pathetic that putting up an Inet campaign to have the league remove other player achievement out of envy because that player shadowed a previous achievement by their " god"

How weak is that?

JordansBulls
02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I know. I was at the game and mentioned in my post that the Lakers dominated...in the second half.

LOL. Do you want to take a guess to why he played bad that game? I'll give you a few seconds...

That was the game in which Kobe first dislocated and shredded his ligaments in his pinky on his shooting hand. He got injured while trying to intercept a pass going to Jason Kidd who was a Net at the time. He wasn't use to the bad finger yet and proceeded to have a bad game. He would even play badly the next game until he got a handle on the whole "not having a pinky" problem. :D Nice try JB. ;)

That wasn't the problem. He has had that all along. It was just that Vince gets up to play lock down Defense on Kobe just like Pierce does.

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Kobe Monks= People who cant see beyond their idol and jerk of to every move he does and do not care for team or anything else but their God , Blind Fools.Would fight any observation or reflexion with pointless Dogmas.

the revisited new millenium version of Jordan Monks, but those at least showed some allegance to the Bulls.

Basically i was pointing out LAKERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe.

Man i woudl sign to get the next 5 rings consecutively at the expense of Kobe having a career ending injury, yo just wheres the dot line!!!!!

Is as stupid as saying they wouldnt want shaq For Walton , Mihm and some more **** third stringer because then People willstill say Kobe couldnt win withouth Shaq, come on ****!!!! the RIng is what matters, anything else.!!!!!

It drives me crazy.

So what are you? You aren't a Laker fan according to your own definition. You wanted to trade Bynum as well as others to give Pau Gasol more touches. Apparently YOU are the one jerking off to specific players.

For your information HellCrooner, I said Pau deserved the award so this better not be directed at me.

ARMIN12NBA
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
That wasn't the problem. He has had that all along. It was just that Vince gets up to play lock down Defense on Kobe just like Pierce does.

No. He had not. That was the VERY FIRST game in which Kobe got injured. Thus he was not use to the injury and the injury was at its worst in terms of pain. Of course he didn't have a good shooting night.

fresh prince
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Congrats To Pau and LBJ both very deserving..

There was no need to make this a Kobe thread

_Sn1P3r_
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Congrats to both players. Pau had a really good week, he deserved it.

Lost Art
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Cause he played insane in NY and Toronto. He had a subpar night in Boston, but other than that he was pretty much unbelievable. I guess I don't really care about POW honors, but I must say that this one is a sham.

Kobe's #'s for the week:

35.5 ppg (48% FG / 46% 3pt) 6.25 rpg 3.8 apg.........meanwhile dropping a record 61 points in MSG.

Pau's #'s for the week were nice.........but come on :eyebrow:

JJ81
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM

It drives me crazy.

And you have "KOBE" in the picture in your sig. :rolleyes:

Kobe is a player. The Lakers are a team. You think Kobe fans are against the Lakers? What Kobe fans have you been talking to!?

Well, I'm sorry that the two best and most entertaining players in league have fans...

You sound like a horrible fan, getting angry at people for liking your star players.:speechless:

KB24PG16
02-10-2009, 07:25 PM
nice gasol

hotpotato1092
02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Pau averaged like 25 and 15, he deserved it. LeBron always deserves it.

Gup
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Yea i would have gave it to Pau over Kobe as well

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 07:56 PM

I have never heard anyone say that Vince Carter plays lockdown defense. Carter=no defense. Has he ever made an all nba defensive first team??? Pierce has a guy by the name of KG directly behind him that man's the paint, I think that has something to do with his so-called lock down defense. When you have a seven footer controlling the paint like KG and helping off of his man, it's easier to play defense....

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
No. He had not. That was the VERY FIRST game in which Kobe got injured. Thus he was not use to the injury and the injury was at its worst in terms of pain. Of course he didn't have a good shooting night.

Exactly...

Lakersfan2483
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM

It drives me crazy.

Kobe Monks, Jordan Monks. lol. Come on man, relax, it's just a sports forum, everyone is going to give his/her opinion...:)

Hellcrooner
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
i have a LAKERS related sig, Kobe play for the lakes, im a laker fan and have been since mid eighties, it makes sense i have such a sig.

And no im not a Pau Monk, if trading him woudl provde us a title, then so be it.

If i was a Monk i would ask for Pau to be the leader of the team:p

I will still be a Laker fan long after pau is gone.

king4day
02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Congrats to both for getting it. Gasol especially since he's been forced to step up and has.