PDA

View Full Version : Why attach names to the tests?

thawv
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
The test was a voluntary survey test to see if there should be a testing program implemented the following year. If it was over 5%, there would be a program put into effect in 2004. The players were told that the results were confidential and in no way would they be disciplined if they failed.

That being said. Why would they even attach a name to the sample? Why not just a number if they are just looking for a percentage? This makes no sense at all. Did these people not think for one minute, that if any player's name was on their sample, that it would not leak out at some point? Of course they knew it would leak out at some point.

Also, if a player new he was on something, why on earth would he volunteer to take the test?

drty snchz
02-09-2009, 06:57 PM
This is Orza's fault from what I heard. 8% failed and he wanted to prove that enough of those were false positives in order to get the % down. That is why names were linked...

thawv
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
This is Orza's fault from what I heard. 8% failed and he wanted to prove that enough of those were false positives in order to get the % down. That is why names were linked...

I know he was tipping the players off when the program started. But how is putting names on the samples going to lower the percentage? By giving each sample a number would be the same.

fightins89
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
There's no way it was a voluntary survey, that would completely kill the point.

Seamhead
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I believe if you refused to take the test, then you were automatically counted as a positive.

NYMetros
02-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Correct. The percentage should actually be way higher because all the players knew when the test was coming up so they got off of whatever they were taking.

thawv
02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
There's no way it was a voluntary survey, that would completely kill the point.

If I'm not mistaken, the White Sox team refused to take it. If you choose not to take it, it's not mandatory. Therefore making it voluntary. There was zero ramifications for not taking it. It did not count as a positive test. If that were the case, the numbers would have been through the roof.