PDA

View Full Version : Lakers are better with Gasol and Odom then with Gasol and Bynum

JordansBulls
02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
This is strictly my opinion on this, but I feel that the Lakers are a better team with Gasol and Odom starting then with Gasol and Bynum starting.

Last year they showed it as well. They were 21-4 with those guys in the lineup and went 12-3 in the playoffs with them until the finals.

Sure the Lakers lost to Boston, but the Bynum and Gasol duo doesn't stack up to the Gasol and Odom duo.

Just look at this 6 game eastern trip and you will see why the Lakers are better off with both Gasol and Odom starting then they would be with Gasol and Bynum starting.

Some say that the Lakers need Bynum to start against the physical teams like Boston or Cleveland, but I beg to differ. Putting Lamar at PF creates soo many matchups for the other teams that it takes there big men away from the paint which clears things up for Gasol to go to work down low.

MJ-BULLS
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
i think that the lakers are better with gasol and bynum its just that odom has stepped up and has been playing well

lakersrock
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree, but if we get to where we're playing a really physical big, I'd rather see Odom/Bynum. I think these three guys would be willing to rotate around. If Odom can, Gasol and Bynum can too. It is a good problem though. Bynum is so young that when Odom and Gasol are gone, he could be paired up with anyone and be dominating.

Kyle N.
02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I always thought Gasol and Odom were a better duo.

mfb_lt1birdman
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Its all about matchups. Smaller teams we can get away with more Odom than Bynum. The thing is these guys are a trio rotation-a damn versatile one too. We are better with all 3 and Odom on the bench makes us that much tougher and deeper.

A big weakness to mention is dribble penetration from guards. Without Bynum to patrol the middle this weakness is even further exploited with Gasol/Odom.

Finally Odom had the game of his life against Cleveland and has been playing well since Bynum went down. Realize though if he sticks with the pattern us laker fans have come to know the last 4 years, he will disappear very soon.

marques724
02-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Lamar has played well the last two games but Bynum is the anchor of our defense and should be starting.

ttam68
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
They gain offense, lose defense. Personally, I'd rather have two talented 7 footers start then a thin 7 footer be forced to play center and a point forward play the 4.

JabberJaw
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I believe they are a better team with Bynum and Gasol...no offense to Odom at all. You could just see how important Bynum has been up until his injury. The Lakers got dominated by the Celtics without Bynum providing the muscle down low. I believe, while the Lakers are better, they would still get outmuscled in a playoff series against the C's. Bynum is the beast in the middle. It's undeniable

cambovenzi
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
get all 3 and rotate em around ofcourse. if that is an option.
if i had to pick just 2, it would be gasol+bynum.

yes odom had a great game, but he usually doesnt do that.
Bynum gives us the size, power and presence inside that we need more against most teams.

Super.
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Bynum > Odom
big time

CaptainCool79
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
It may seem like Gasol/Odom worked better in the game against the cavs but i dont think thats the case. Bynum, while nothing special IMO, serves a big role on the Lakers. His size clogs up the paint and he get the Lakers away from being "soft." The only reason Gasol/Odom looked great against the cavs is because they have no dominant big man. Ilgauskas is soft and Varejao is a pansy.

chicagowhitesox
02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
gasol and bynum easily. because this way, you still have odom, increasing your depth.

hotpotato1092
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Bynum and Gasol because then Odom can come off the bench.

KB24PG16
02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
i didnt vote because i still think that all 3 should start

HoLLyWooD PLK
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
No ...........

Lost Art
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Gasol and Bynum...........and its not even remotely close

Bynum changes everything in the paint on both ends of the floor. Yes we just squeaked out two big wins against Boston and Cleveland without Bynum...........but we handled those teams EASILY earlier this season with Bynum in the lineup. We pretty much manhandled them with Bynum out there.

NYKnickFanatic
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Odom and Gasol.

GspLAL
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Bynum changes everything in the paint on both ends of the floor.

Agreed, it's pretty simple, Bynum is our defensive anchor, shot blocker, and rebounder, when he scores it's an extra plus and it makes us even harder to defend. Gasol isn't a defensive post presence and neither is Odom.

lakerboy
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I wish Phil Jackson tried an Odom, Bynum, Gasol line up. Yeah, all three in together.

JordansBulls
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Bynum changes everything in the paint on both ends of the floor. Yes we just squeaked out two big wins against Boston and Cleveland without Bynum...........but we handled those teams EASILY earlier this season with Bynum in the lineup. We pretty much manhandled them with Bynum out there.

You didn't handle Boston easily earlier this year.
It was a back and forth game till the last 2 minutes.

Gibby23
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
You didn't handle Boston easily earlier this year.
It was a back and forth game till the last 2 minutes.

Bynum is his favorite player, so take it easy on him.

I think we are better with Bynum and Gasol starting. It's a good problem to have.

still1ballin
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
bynum

goku
02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
odom will have this one good game then disappear
bynum gasol line-up way better

lakers4sho
02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't think who's starting on paper really matters. What's important IMO is who gets the starter minutes and who closes out games :shrug:

Missing56&33
02-09-2009, 06:25 PM
i think that the lakers are better with gasol and bynum its just that odom has stepped up and has been playing well

I think the lakers see the potential in Gasol and Bynum but Bynum is still unproven. Odom is finally playing like the all star he once was. If Odom continues to play like he is and even higher when the playoffs start, they'll be tough to beat. I like the chemistry better with Gasol and Odom. If Odom hits the three????? The lakers will be unstoppable.

ink
02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice problem to have. lol.

There are about 25 teams in the league that wish they had the same problems.

I like either combination, but they definitely don't suffer too much with Odom in there. Very under-rated player.

Missing56&33
02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Bynum-Gasol....Odom-Gasol both good combo but the Lakers bench deserves>>>>>>:clap: :clap: :clap: Kobe and Odom was on the bench for 5mins of the 4th Q in Clev!

ARMIN12NBA
02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Gasol and Bynum. Better defensively and better offensively. Gasol takes advantage of the plenty of mismatches at PF when Bynum is in the line-up. As a center, he faces more bulky players and has to play in the low post. He is best suited to utilize his mid-range game and get into the low-post every now and then. Bynum can dominate in the low post both offensively and defensively (see last 12 games).

Also, the Lakers beat Boston by 9 and Cleveland by 17 with Bynum. I think the Lakers are much better with Bynum as a starter and Odom coming off the bench with the bench mob and playing a run 'n gun style of play.

ARMIN12NBA
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Nice problem to have. lol.

There are about 25 teams in the league that wish they had the same problems.

:laugh2: Very true.

Giants27
02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Gasol and Bynum are way better..

socalpkrbkr
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I said Gasol and Bynum. I think it's a tougher match up and LO is too inconsistent. He's been playing really well since the injury to Bynum but I know you saw Bynum becoming an unstoppable force in the paint right?