PDA

View Full Version : the Rays a little too cheap ???

Matt-the-great
02-09-2009, 07:14 AM
do you think it is completely ridiculous and unnessecary for the Rays to be going to Arbitration with a promising young catcher in Dioneer Navarro?

i understand they have a small budget and times are tight, but the difference is a mere 400 k. the Rays offered 2.1 mil, and he requested 2.5 mil....

couldn't they had just settled for 2.35 or 2.4 million and avoided this awkward and potentially damaging process?

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
They've resigned Shields, Kazmir, and even put Longoria on extension. They've added a decent bat in Burrell to the team which is significant, and they've added relievers. Just because they're apart on Navarro doesn't mean they are a cheap team.

JHG722
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
The way they run their team is great, but they need to raise their payroll, because I have a feeling that the 'factory' way of running their organization is destined to fail after a few years.

Ron!n
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
^^Especially when they arent the worst team in the division anymore and arent getting as many high picks as usual

JHG722
02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
^^Especially when they arent the worst team in the division anymore and arent getting as many high picks as usual

Exactly. It's actually worse if they succeed (how weird is that?). It's inevitable that after a few years of doing reasonably well that in order for them to not return to the basement, they need to raise payroll significantly.

Webslinger
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
The Rays need to stay smart. Signing players to huge salaries is what gets alot of teams in trouble. They have nothing to gain but increasing their payroll.

ThisIsTheYear
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Dioner Navarro is promising?

:confused:

Young, yes. Promising, not so much.

cambovenzi
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
do you think it is completely ridiculous and unnessecary for the Rays to be going to Arbitration with a promising young catcher in Dioneer Navarro?

i understand they have a small budget and times are tight, but the difference is a mere 400 k. the Rays offered 2.1 mil, and he requested 2.5 mil....

couldn't they had just settled for 2.35 or 2.4 million and avoided this awkward and potentially damaging process?

so they should throw away 400 thousand dollars b/c you think they are cheap?

i have no problem with them going to arbitration. that is their right.
let an arbitrator decide.
they knowingly choose to possibly risk him being upset with them, for the chance to save 400k.
if they are OK with that risk, then so am I.

Maine's the man
02-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Dioner Navarro is promising?

:confused:

Young, yes. Promising, not so much.

This was my point, Navarro, before last year was horrible and was not considered the answer at C. there is no point in trying to give him what he wants. he needs to atleast prove himself.

Why do ppl think that arbitration ruins player/club relationships?

Sport
02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
This was my point, Navarro, before last year was horrible and was not considered the answer at C. there is no point in trying to give him what he wants. he needs to atleast prove himself.

Why do ppl think that arbitration ruins player/club relationships?

It can if it keeps happening. A few years ago the Twins and Kyle Lohse went to arbitration for like 3 straight years. Needless to say, Lohse became unhappy and later traded. It really depends on the player too.

The Rays obviously have a reason for doing what theyre doing and it isnt being cheap.

After all they did sign some other key guys this offseason.

RaysFan
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
It is what it is. Tampa will try and save money where they can. Maybe they felt like their initial deal was fair?

Neely
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that's a little cheap.

RaysFan
02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Exactly. It's actually worse if they succeed (how weird is that?). It's inevitable that after a few years of doing reasonably well that in order for them to not return to the basement, they need to raise payroll significantly.

Well what will determine our success in the future (5-10 years from now) will be our attendance for the 2009 season, and sadly, I don't think our attendance will be enough for our organization to justify major long-term spending.

But the good thing for us is that we have NOT relied on our #1 draft picks alone. We have made many shrewd moves and we have drafted very well later on in the draft. Only Upton and Longoria were 1st round picks that really contributed, while Garza and Bartlett were obtained with a great trade that came through a 1st round pick.

I would love for us to become the Minnesota Twins but with better top-end talent. They are winners almost every year despite limited resources. They pick and choose the FA's they want to keep and make great moves when it is time to let them go.

BLOMETSFAN
02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Arbitration doesnt hurt the player-club relationship as long as both sides handle the situation properly, and it has been reported that Tampa has said that they will not go in and try and bash him to win the case. If both sides go in and present their arguments for their case in a non-attacking way, then there should be no harm done. And 400K might be pocket change for some teams, but not Tampa.

nithanyo
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
A salary cap would solve this. But then for New York and Boston fans that would mean spending the same as everyone else in a fair manner, like how sports are menat to be....and that just cant happen

cambovenzi
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
A salary cap would solve this. But then for New York and Boston fans that would mean spending the same as everyone else in a fair manner, like how sports are menat to be....and that just cant happen

says who? its a business.

the rays are nowhere near a reasonable cap limit. a measly 400K difference in a arbitration meeting doesn't have very much to do with a cap at all. it has more to do with them trying to save a little money.