PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks JO is durable enough to include in Raptors plans?

ink
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Who thinks JO is durable enough to include in Raptors plans?

DaoudS
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Wish I could say yes...

kanersen
02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
i'd say he's durable enough to include in our plans till 2010
from there i'd evaluate where he was physically

thomas1
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Durable or not, we're stuck with him. Obviously, with a week before the trade deadline I think there aren't any suitors for him.

WaterBoy24
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Asap..

kanersen
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
i don't think thats true at all^

nads83
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
id compare his career to mcdyess. there were questions weather mcdyess could stay healthy and he answered it with an emphatic yes. i think oneal can do the same. right now his conditioning is an issue. but he's a hard worker and i can almost garantee he'll be in the gym from the start of this offseason to the end. oneal is more than just a serviceable big, for the right price (12mil), he can be a huge part of this team going foward. he is the best defender, already, on one leg, this franchise has ever had. alvin williams a close 2nd.

nads83
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
oh sorry...durable beyond 2010. he'll miss games here and there

KingCanada
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I would like to keep him but he makes to much money

drewbius416
02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
He is in my humble opinion serviceable until 2010 then, re-assess the situation, best case is he resigns in summer of '10 for $7-12M AFTER we lure a top end FA.

Bricklayer
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I like J.O and everything he brings to the team, but I don't think he will stay healthy.

dgilbert
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I think JO is the consummate professional, I'd love to have him around, but I don't believe the guy can stay healthy.

dirtybird
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't think that durable is the right word, but I think he's getting more lift in his legs as the season is progressing. However, I don't think he's going to be able to avoid missing the odd string of 5-6 games in a row. But, JO is the only Raptor with any type of mental toughness. This team is in dire need of someone like Oakley. JO isn't him, but he could be something similar or better than Kevin Willis.

ramz.n
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
i think the bigger question is how much he thinks hes worth after 2010..for a player who is injury prone..if he decides to take the max mle ..i would consider resigning him as a player coming off the bench.

ink
02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
i think the bigger question is how much he thinks hes worth after 2010..for a player who is injury prone..if he decides to take the max mle ..i would consider resigning him as a player coming off the bench.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If we're considering keeping him it'd be good to know how long he will last for us ...

Bob_at_york
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Not durable enough. He is hot right now, I am really hoping that a team makes a good offer.

HoopsDrive
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Two words describe him right now: glass cannon.

If JO bangs his knee or comes down awkardly (has happened three times already this season) he's sure to miss from 4-8 games at the very least.

He's a solid player but right now, the price is just too high. 22 million for an injury waiting to happen is just too much liability to take for 15-10 every night.

With his current play, he could be useful to lure teams into nice trade offers.

blujaysrock
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
He's good to have on your team as a backup but not at 22M or whatever he makes

raptor fan
02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Not durable enough. He is hot right now, I am really hoping that a team makes a good offer.

i agree, he hasn't shown me that he has the consistency to grind out an 82 game season. i hope his recent play gets a team that's desperately for a big or for a push in the playoffs to overpay for his services

Big Game Son
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM

I agree. Here's what i don't like about JO. He takes very difficult shots that would be considered as a lower percentage shot. That doesnt mean he is bad. He is really good at it actually. He just takes alot of shots with a hand in the face and over bigger players in the lane. Here's the problem though.............the entire Raps team (jumpshot mania) takes low percentage shots. That added up with JO's difficult offensive opportunities = losing games frequently.

dirtybird
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh, I agree. If the Mavs for some reason offered Josh Howard for JO, I make that trade unless there some serious medical questions.

Big Game Son
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh, I agree. If the Mavs for some reason offered Josh Howard for JO, I make that trade unless there some serious medical questions.

^^^Well the lungs could be an issue, but I guess rly only after the offseason. LOL! Better than bum knees!!!!

hades
02-09-2009, 10:19 PM
keep him. what have you got to lose? OH WAIT. 20 million of salary cap!! thats what!

shifty
02-10-2009, 02:50 AM
do you really believe JO will sign for less than 15mil?

HoopsDrive
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
do you really believe JO will sign for less than 15mil?

For 15/10/1.5 and missing 1/4 to 1/3 of a season every season, max I'd give JO is 8 million MAYBE 10 depending on his play/health at the time (which I assume won't change that much in 1 year). Injury prone is a liability folks. If they are injured you still pay them. He's going to be 32 by then too, past his prime the curve is at the very best going to stay straight or start coming downwards.

Mile High Champ
02-11-2009, 12:04 AM
As I mentioned in the T-wolves/Raptors game thread, JO needs to be apart of this team for the forseeable future... He has something to prove to the league and I really see him staying healthy over the next two years at least.

Bob_at_york
02-11-2009, 12:26 AM
As I mentioned in the T-wolves/Raptors game thread, JO needs to be apart of this team for the forseeable future... He has something to prove to the league and I really see him staying healthy over the next two years at least.
I asked your opinion on the health comment in the other thread so in here I am going to ask you, what makes you so convinced that JO will stay here past 2010?

Mile High Champ
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I asked your opinion on the health comment in the other thread so in here I am going to ask you, what makes you so convinced that JO will stay here past 2010?

I think its a changing of situation. With Indiana, he grew tired of the on going garbage with the franchise (I did too as a pacers fan). When he was taken out of that situation his play elevated and so did his health. People forget that JO played on a knee with a torn miniscus for two years. I did it for 8 months of my university career and it was hell. Can't even imagine 2 years... Its one of the worst injuries ever, you can jump off the floor or make hard cuts for screens on the court or elevate for a jumpshpt unless you recieve surgery to fix the problem. Now that JO has had that done to repair his knee, his injury troubles will be behind him. Of course there are freak injuries like when a guy grabs you jersey and pulls you to the floor when your trying to dunk the ball. I just don't see those lingering injuries that bothered him in Indiana stopping him here from becoming a valuable part of this team. Bosh could certainly learn a thing or two from him about defense, rebounding, TAKING A CHARGE and much more. I really do believe JO is healthy once again.