PDA

View Full Version : Troubling scouting report on Stephen Strasburg.

Matt-the-great
02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I have been doing some internet research on the next "phenom"; Stephen Strasburg. I stumbled onto this troubling scouting report from Driveline Mechanics.

The similarities to Prior are truly frightening, i just hope this kid does not meet the predictions of this writer.

I really have no idea about the legitimacy of this source, but i am sure some of you members will be able to tell me how legit this site is. Maybe these guys always tend to paint a pessimistic picture because those aren't critisized as badly when they are incorrect.

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

-anyway, this kid looks amazing, cant wait to see him pitch.

C1Bman88
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Driveline Mechanics is an okay site. I'm not an expert on mechanics but I knew something was off with his arm action; and they did a great job of recognizing it.

There's really no telling what will happen with Strasburg. Like all pitchers, there's obviously a risk factor. But he's still above and beyond everyone else in the 2009 draft class.

bcransom
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I seen this kid pitch against USC. He threw a one-hitter with ease. 13 K's. Devastating curve. The Nats are lucky.

Matt-the-great
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I seen this kid pitch against USC. He threw a one-hitter with ease. 13 K's. Devastating curve. The Nats are lucky.

the reports i have read have only said he throws Fastball, Slider, and Change-up....but his change-up can act like a splitter, so maybe that is what you saw?

BluejaysFan08
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Diiiiiiirrrrtay

Telios9
02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
thats not good for the nats

Grifftiggs
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Lwt him fall the M's

bcransom
02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
the reports i have read have only said he throws Fastball, Slider, and Change-up....but his change-up can act like a splitter, so maybe that is what you saw?

Maybe so, it had sick dropping action.

Seamhead
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, Driveline mechanics is a good site. I've been slacking on reading their content lately. You can certainly see the similarities there, but there are other factors that need to be taken into account like body type. That's certainly a big warning flag there, though, that the Nats may or may not be aware of.

I'd e-mail it you Chris O'Leary, and ask for his take, if you're really that interested.

bcransom
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
If Boras is his agent, I could see him falling to 5th 0r 6th

brandonwarne52
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Ahh I wouldn't be too worried about one guy's take on a player.....

Who's the last pitcher they were universally happy about? Mark Prior?

:o

YanksNats1987
02-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Good article, brings up interesting points. I think anybody can be found with some flaw at one point or another, but Strasburg is a can't be missed #1 pick. The Nationals just gotta hope it all pans out. Because if they pass on him then they won't hear the end of it.

Matt-the-great
02-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Good article, brings up interesting points. I think anybody can be found with some flaw at one point or another, but Strasburg is a can't be missed #1 pick. The Nationals just gotta hope it all pans out. Because if they pass on him then they won't hear the end of it.

yeah, i think at this point it is a foregone conclusion that they will select him and pay whatever the hell Boras demands. (unless some terrible health issue arrives, knock on wood)

it is nice to see a Nats fan, i am a big fan of their offense. I am a huge Elijah Dukes and i like Willingham, Guzman, Zimmerman, and Milledge.

when they get some solid pitching that young offense is ready to break out

Twitchy
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
On the other hand, Strasburg won't have Dusty Baker asking him to pitch complete games while throwing 150 pitches every 5th day, so he might be a little better off that Prior was.

JHG722
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I definitely see what they're saying. Too much elbow action, and it really does look like he's putting a lot of pressure on his wrist. I dont like his leg kick either.