PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Chiefs Offseason

trevhipp7
02-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Trades
Larry Johnson and second round pick to Arizona for Anquan Boldin.
Tony Gonzales to Philly for second round pick.
Sign: Kelvin Hayden CB Colts, Trai Essex OT Steelers, Brandon Johnson LB Bengals.
Draft:
1. Mark Sanchez QB USC
2. (via Philly) Robert Ayers DE Tennessee
3. Cornelius Lewis OT Tennessee State
4. AQ Shipley C Penn State
5. Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
6. Manuel Johnson WR Oklahoma
7. Demonte Bolden DT Tennessee

Duffman
02-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Those trades wouldn't happen, and I really hope our draft isn't that bad.

trevhipp7
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
How bout this draft
Sanchez
Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina
Jarrett Dillard WR Rice
Sherrod Martin CB Troy
AQ Shipley C Penn State
Kyle Vandesteeg DE Minnesota

jterry
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
If I were GM... Not what I think we will do.
Trades
-Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and round 6 pick for Matt Cassel.
Signings
-Julius Peppers (DE), Jabari Greer (CB), Channing Crowder (MLB), Pierre Woods (OLB), James Butler (S), Jordan Gross (C), Correll Buckhalter (RB), and Devery Henderson (WR).
Draft
#3 - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
#34 - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
#67 - Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly
#98 - Sebastian Vollmer, OT, Houston
Round 5 - Demonte' Bolden, DT, Tennessee
Round 7 - Chase Patton, QB, Missouri

Duffman
02-09-2009, 04:08 AM
If I were GM... Not what I think we will do.
Trades
-Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and round 6 pick for Matt Cassel.
Signings
-Julius Peppers (DE), Jabari Greer (CB), Channing Crowder (MLB), Pierre Woods (OLB), James Butler (S), Jordan Gross (C), Correll Buckhalter (RB), and Devery Henderson (WR).
Draft
#3 - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
#34 - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
#67 - Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly
#98 - Sebastian Vollmer, OT, Houston
Round 5 - Demonte' Bolden, DT, Tennessee
Round 7 - Chase Patton, QB, Missouri

People need to get trading Gonzalez and LJ out of their heads. LJ could happen but I still doubt it. Also, people who think the Chiefs will/should trade for Cassel need to be shot. For the record, they wont part ways with him for just a 6th round pick.

Duffman
02-09-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm fine with people having an opinion, but please lets be realistic.

Thearchitect33
02-09-2009, 05:44 AM
How about for starters you start being realistic. First, you aren't a football god. If you were half as informed as you believe yourself to be, you would be working in the front office for some team, not posting compulsively on a forum. Second, I don't see you offering any better alternatives (although I am agreeing that these all sound far-fetched), and finally, I believe he was suggesting that we ship LJ, Tony and a 6th round pick all to NE for Cassel, which I think is offering entirely too much. I'm not personally very happy with the idea of bringing in a guy who's going to cost almost 15 million after only starting 15 games, even if he only makes that for a year. As a matter of fact, that might make things worse, if he has a good season in KC next year, he'll want the same type of money except on a longer term basis.

I really think that things will pick up now that we have a head coach in place, but I still wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign anyone until after the staff is settled. I don't think Haley and Pioli will start making decisions for the d coordinator even before he's hired. I would love to see them pick up a good linebacker or a good pass rushing DE, but I don't believe that Peppers is necessarily the answer. As I've said before, I think that if we were going to sign an established DE, we should have just kept Jared Allen. While Peppers doesn't have the off-the-field issues that JA did, he is older and I think it would be a waste to pay him when we are still at least a couple years from contending.

AllenHarms88
02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Alright here is what I would do if I was the G.M. for Kansas City.

I would trade LJ and a 3rd and 4th round pick to the Cleveland Browns for 25 year old D'Qwell Jackson (154 tackles,1st, 2.0 sacks,3 INT, back to back 100 tackle seasons)
And is a hard core ILB.

Then I would trade Tony Gonzalez to GB for young improving 25 year old WR Greg Jennings(80 REC,1292 YDS,16.2 AVG,9 TD's) and we would also grab a 3rd round pick. He also did better once Brett Favre left, so it isn't a fluke.

Then with our 1st pick I would draft RB Chris Wells, and if he was taken hopefully we could grab Brandon Jacobs in the free agency.
But most of all I would either grab Jonathan Vilma or J.P. from the Carolina Panthers in the free agancy. You have to make big moves if you want to turn around your franchise and that is what I would be going for. If I didn't make the move with LJ then I would draft a DE or DT with my 1st pick.

Duffman
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Man this place has some of the biggest homers/douches alive. No wonder everyone left this site, the only respectable poster left is BigRatt.

Nvchiefsfan
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Forget about trading Gonzales, he will retire a Chief. The Patriots are the only team that should even think about trading us for LJ after what they did with Moss maybe they could straighten him out to. The Patriots can keep Cassel he had 1 good season and everyone is giving him a metal like he just one the Superbowl can anyone say Derek Anderson all over again. We should sign Losman as a backup to Thigpen and draft Curry or a RT at #3 and give Thiggy one more year.

jterry
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Then I would trade Tony Gonzalez to GB for young improving 25 year old WR Greg Jennings(80 REC,1292 YDS,16.2 AVG,9 TD's) and we would also grab a 3rd round pick. He also did better once Brett Favre left, so it isn't a fluke.

Then with our 1st pick I would draft RB Chris Wells, and if he was taken hopefully we could grab Brandon Jacobs in the free agency.

I would love to make that trade for Tony G, but when we tried to trade him earlier the most we got offered was a 3rd round pick. So there is no way we are going to get their #1 WR and a 3rd, especially when they have a pretty good TE already.
And I don't agree with taking a RB in the first round. There are too many good ones you can get late, especially this year when there isn't really a dynamic back like AP or McFadden. I also don't think having a good RB is really that important at all. I think behind a good OL you can find any serviceable running back will be good, ex. Patriots.

And I retract my former statement about getting Cassel. After looking at his numbers, they really weren't better than Thigpen's (even though I still don't think he is the long term answer), and I think Pioli has proven he can find QB talent late in the draft. Or if Freeman from K-State is still there with the 34th pick I like him.

nsadoru2
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
The Chiefs should trade LJ straight up to Cleveland for Derek Anderson. I would even be willing to throw in a late round draft pick.

Duffman
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
The Chiefs should trade LJ straight up to Cleveland for Derek Anderson. I would even be willing to throw in a late round draft pick.

I would pass on that. I'm so confused why Chiefs fans are so into retread QB's. Pioli has his work cut out if he wants to de-Carlize the way Chiefs fans think.

Kcfanbaby212*
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
why is everyon up for trading Gonzo? You do realize hes the only consistency on this O right? Why Cassel? 1 year wonder anybody? Derek Anderson potential yeah? Ill take Stafford/Sanchez 3rd overall. Keeping gonzo makes more sense than dealing him. Yeah, we got a new HC, but Gonzo helping a rookie QB is priority. I dont understand the thinking, yeah LJ *****es alot, but who do you suppose we draft to take over? once we got to an ALL pro O? Charles/Smith? Ill pass on that....both got injured early on last season...LJ was only suspended, and if we had ran a pro style O, we wouldve been able to griind out atleast half of the game we lost in the 4th quarter...which was 10 by the way.

Duffman
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
If the Chiefs have a young QB they would be foolish to trade Gonzo.

Thearchitect33
02-10-2009, 02:30 AM
I don't think we should trade Gonzo, but I don't think we should keep him from being on a team that has a shot at a Super Bowl in the next few years either. The guy has been a complete professional no matter what, and he deserves that much at least.

Duff, you can leave anytime you want, you are just a replacement Rust anyway, another know-it-all who in reality knows very little. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion, but the fact that you feel as though you must insult other posters in the process is really weak.

Also, fanbaby, LJ has missed more games than he's played in the last few seasons whether it was for injury or because of off-the-field issues, so you really have no room to talk about Kolby or Jamaal being injured and unavailable. The other thing to consider is that neither one of them, to the best of my knowledge is a cancer in the locker room like LJ is. Again, as has been said many times before, if we had a decent O-line the running back wouldn't be such a big issue. Just about anyone could be good enough if we had any kind of blocking.

BigRatt
02-10-2009, 04:09 AM
Thearchitect33, where the hell is RUST anyway? We was always in each others S H I T, i miss that fool! Oh Duff reminds me of Rust!

BigRatt
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Duff that wasn't an insult. Did you used to post as Rustshack???? There is a striking resemblance there..

Duffman
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Thearchitect33, where the hell is RUST anyway? We was always in each others S H I T, i miss that fool! Oh Duff reminds me of Rust!

Him and everyone else are on a different site now, I used to post here when he did too.

Duffman
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Check your PM's bigratt.

BigRatt
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Him and everyone else are on a different site now, I used to post here when he did too.

what site?

Duffman
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Duffman
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM

Kcfanbaby212*
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
your the man duff!

Kcfanbaby212*
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't think we should trade Gonzo, but I don't think we should keep him from being on a team that has a shot at a Super Bowl in the next few years either. The guy has been a complete professional no matter what, and he deserves that much at least.

Duff, you can leave anytime you want, you are just a replacement Rust anyway, another know-it-all who in reality knows very little. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion, but the fact that you feel as though you must insult other posters in the process is really weak.

Also, fanbaby, LJ has missed more games than he's played in the last few seasons whether it was for injury or because of off-the-field issues, so you really have no room to talk about Kolby or Jamaal being injured and unavailable. The other thing to consider is that neither one of them, to the best of my knowledge is a cancer in the locker room like LJ is. Again, as has been said many times before, if we had a decent O-line the running back wouldn't be such a big issue. Just about anyone could be good enough if we had any kind of blocking.

yes I do realize that KS and JC combined could probably do it. However, JC in his career has missed more games than LJ....IR anyone? Jamaal isnt a every down back...and played injured all season, which was a reoccurence of an ankle injury in college. As a duo yeah no doubt they can do it.....as for every down grinding back...noone on this team except LJ.

Kcfanbaby212*
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Id love to rid of LJ..were on the same page...but honestly, no RB on our roster can do what he can.

Duffman
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
If we get rid of LJ we better be drafting another RB. Charles is too small to do it himself and Smith is just a backup.

theboweshow
02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
LJ whined even when Priest was there. He's been mad ever since we drafted him. Although we do need a RB, kolby smith showed promise when the chance was there, and no RB is too small bc look at darren sproles. if anything charles benefits because hes small and can be good in space. but yes i do this we need to bring someone in, weather its free agency or draft. sproles was a 4th round pick michael turner was a 5th round pick. we can find our guy and his last name doesnt ahve to be moreno or wells. pioli knows what hes doing at the draft thats why as fans we should be confident with whoever they pick.

Duffman
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Sorry I didn't know Sproles started all year for the Chargers. As for Smith, hes just a backup RB. Its really sad how most Chiefs fans cling to **** players and are afraid of upgrades.

BigRatt
02-11-2009, 03:42 AM
If we get rid of LJ we better be drafting another RB. Charles is too small to do it himself and Smith is just a backup.

Your gonna sit there on Sundays and watch a guy like Darren Sproles play and then question JC size. Come On! Sproles is 5-8, 181 and JC is 5-11, 199. I think Charles could carry the load if he had to, but that wont happen because everyone uses 2 backs. I bet after the offseason Charles comes in at 210 or so. Dont fool yourself, Sproles will be some teams Starter this year. Going RB at #3 is not a move Pioli is even considering because it is foolish.

Duffman
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Who the **** ever say anything about drafting a RB at #3? No teams should ever draft RB's in the top 5.

Duffman
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Its pathetic how some people think there is only one round in the draft.

BigRatt
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Who the **** ever say anything about drafting a RB at #3? No teams should ever draft RB's in the top 5.

Wasn't u hooting and hollaring about Wells and Moreno?

Duffman
02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Wasn't u hooting and hollaring about Wells and Moreno?

Don't believe I have ever talked about them.

Duffman
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Did you get this BigRatt? Everyone over there misses you especially RustShack!

kcguy58
02-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Trades
Larry Johnson and second round pick to Arizona for Anquan Boldin.
Tony Gonzales to Philly for second round pick.
Sign: Kelvin Hayden CB Colts, Trai Essex OT Steelers, Brandon Johnson LB Bengals.
Draft:
1. Mark Sanchez QB USC
2. (via Philly) Robert Ayers DE Tennessee
3. Cornelius Lewis OT Tennessee State
4. AQ Shipley C Penn State
5. Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
6. Manuel Johnson WR Oklahoma
7. Demonte Bolden DT Tennessee
I would love to see the Chiefs get Boldin but did you forget the guy Boldin was seen butting heads with during the playoffs? Yeah, that was Haley! I would love to see one of the Ravens free agents head this way, we could use a good defensive mind in the huddle.

Duffman
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I would love to see the Chiefs get Boldin but did you forget the guy Boldin was seen butting heads with during the playoffs? Yeah, that was Haley! I would love to see one of the Ravens free agents head this way, we could use a good defensive mind in the huddle.

The only reason that was a big deal was because it was in the playoffs and the media needed a story. Same thing happened with Fitzgerlad and Warner during the regular season and no one made a big deal about it because it happens on every team. Warner and Fitzgerald love Haley and Fitz credits Haley for the level of play hes reached.

rusthater
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
duffman why are you such a jerk to everyone expressing their opions its like rust all over again

rusthater
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
i highly doubt we trade anyone. if we sign very many free agents they are going to be mid tier guys not the superstars everyone wants us to sign

jboskie
02-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Cheifs Players- Gonzalez and Johnson will both remain starters in the 2009-10 season. Tony would like to leave but Pioli will convince him to stay and that this team will be competetive. Thanks to the Cardinals surge it shows any team can get hot and go to a superbowl. Gonzalez might have his best season next year will the open offense that Haley brings. Johnson wont go anywhere because he has no value every team has one if not two running backs and the ones that dont can get a RB in thr draft or even FA. What could the Cheifs really get for him? Nothing close to equal value. As for Charles and Smith both are very capable runners they could take the load if they needed to but unfortunatley for Smith the third best weapon on the ground doesn't get many carries.

Free Agents- Suggs would be a really nice fit. Rays probably going to get the franchise tag. Cheifs could give him a healthy payday putting Ravens in a bad position they still have other FA to sign Scott, Leonard, etc. If not Suggs Peppers would also be a nice addition.

Draft-
1st try to trade down alot of good players but non other than Crabtree deserving of the 3. Unless they want to make a weakness a strenth and select Crabtree. An O lineman would be a the most glaring need. in the 1st round.
2nd Michael Johnson is great value here even trade up a pick or five to get him.
3rd Take the bset available here WR, DT, LB, CB, C, QB.

Sign other 2nd tier FA's and use picks 4-7 to fill out the roster and look for potential starters and contributers.

jrenz11
02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Alright here is what I would do if I was the G.M. for Kansas City.

I would trade LJ and a 3rd and 4th round pick to the Cleveland Browns for 25 year old D'Qwell Jackson (154 tackles,1st, 2.0 sacks,3 INT, back to back 100 tackle seasons)
And is a hard core ILB.

I'm a cleveland fan, and that trades doesn't sound too appetizing to me. First of all Cleveland needs Defense. Why would we give up one of our best young defensive players for a washed up wife beater. We already have Jamal Lewis.

I suggest, we trade you Derek Anderson for your 2nd rounder/or Third. That way you don't have to pay millions of dollars for an unexperience QB in Sanchez.

Like someone said, we can get a RB late, its a pretty deep draft for RB. You guys need an O-line and Defense.

Me personally I would stick with Thigpen if I were you guys.

I would also like to draft Aaron Curry at the number 5 pick for the browns.

Good luck in the draft.

fightwookies
02-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Your gonna sit there on Sundays and watch a guy like Darren Sproles play and then question JC size. Come On! Sproles is 5-8, 181 and JC is 5-11, 199. I think Charles could carry the load if he had to, but that wont happen because everyone uses 2 backs. I bet after the offseason Charles comes in at 210 or so. Dont fool yourself, Sproles will be some teams Starter this year. Going RB at #3 is not a move Pioli is even considering because it is foolish.

there's no way sproles holds up over a whole season getting 20 carries a game. he'll be back in san diego and will split time with LT until he wears out in less than 2 seasons

BigRatt
02-12-2009, 03:00 AM
there's no way sproles holds up over a whole season getting 20 carries a game. he'll be back in san diego and will split time with LT until he wears out in less than 2 seasons

No way he goes back to San Diego unless they guarantee Sproles big dollars and agree to make him as big a part of the offense as LT. I believe they said the same thing about a guy by the name of Priest Holmes( 5'9, 213) who ended up playing 3 spectacular years before getting hurt halfway through the 4th year( 800 yards in 8 games).

BigRatt
02-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Did you get this BigRatt? Everyone over there misses you especially RustShack!

Na, i couldn't leave u brother! I LOVE YA TO MUCH TO LEAVE! I will stay here to PISS YOU OFF just like i did RUST!! :silly: :moon:

fightwookies
02-12-2009, 10:25 AM
No way he goes back to San Diego unless they guarantee Sproles big dollars and agree to make him as big a part of the offense as LT. I believe they said the same thing about a guy by the name of Priest Holmes( 5'9, 213) who ended up playing 3 spectacular years before getting hurt halfway through the 4th year( 800 yards in 8 games).

yeah, but the reason that wasn't true of priest was that his extra 20 lbs of muscle leped absob alot of hits. i'm not a believer in height as a factor, but when you weigh 180 lbs, no (smart) team is going to give you a big money contract. san diego will be his best offer (opportunity) and will likely stay

bornFrisco49er
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
NFL.com's Adam Schefter confirms that the Chiefs will implement a 3-4 defense under new GM Scott Pioli and head coach Todd Haley.
The Chiefs are picking scheme over personnel, which has a history of backfiring. KC lacks a two-gap nose tackle and its best front seven player, Derrick Johnson, is a run-and-hit linebacker who may have to "stay at home" more now. It's also unclear where Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali will fit.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4661

bornFrisco49er
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Despite the additions of Gary Gibbs and Clancy Pendergast to their coaching staff, ESPN's John Clayton suggests that the Chiefs could still hire Romeo Crennel to coordinate their defense.
Crennel known GM Scott Pioli well and would bring a strict 3-4 defense to Kansas City. It's uncertain if the 61-year-old wants the job, however.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=nfl

Gigantes4Life
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Interesting...

jterry
02-20-2009, 12:06 AM
I think they have plans for big changes this offseason to run the 3-4. Even if we have the wrong personnel it cant be worse than Herm and Gunther's conflicting defenses.

kcsportsfan09
02-20-2009, 02:47 AM
If the chiefs pick up the right personal to run the 3-4 it could work out, the one thing I don't like about it is that your counting on your linebackers to put pressure on the qauterback. Thus meaning Derrick Johnson would have to step his game up. Demario Williams showed some good qaulities last year when he played so he might be okay as the other outside linebacker, the inside linebackers is where things could be a problem unless the chiefs get someone in free agency or the draft. Boiman played okay at times though, but doesn't have the pure talent to be a play maker. Maybe the chiefs could move Pollard to linebacker, he's a heavy hitter, he's quick off the edge and could drop into coverage. This move would allow Dejaun Morgan to get into the starting lineup. Hali could thrive in the 3-4 because he's a good run stuffer, not a pass rusher. Dorsey and Tank lack the size though to be good nose guards in a 3-4. All I can say is that anything is better then running Herm's tampa 2.

Chiefsfan1
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't think that Gonzalez will be traded, if he is we have Brad Cottam who is awesome. And if Larry Johnson does get traded I would think it would happen within the next two months, before the draft. If you had to trade LJ, let him go to the Cowboys like he wants, I'm sure Jerry Jones would love having LJ and T.O lol.... But trade him for another player like Boldin, or trade him for a 2nd round draft pick. With a offensive style coach like Haley who knows if he will allow Larry to be traded. I just know that Haley won't take any of Larry's ****.
And another thing why get Cassel? Wow he had one good year, my grandma would too if she had Randy Moss and Wes Welker catching the ball. Just stick with Thigpen, they didn't stick with him just because they had to because they had Gray on the bench. They saw something with Thigpen, it's called talent. Just give him another year...

Lebowski
03-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Also, people who think the Chiefs will/should trade for Cassel need to be shot.

LMAO... I had to wake this back up cause I found it googling something else.

Who's this Duffman dumbass?

So does Scott Pioli need to be shot?

Ty Fast
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Now that the Chiefs got a QB, will Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson want to come back?

Fresno
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Now that the Chiefs got a QB, will Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson want to come back?
If they continue to make smart moves they will want to return.

They still have some holes on the right side of the offensive line,and on defense to fill.

poppa12645
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
yeah the Def need O-line and probably one more receiver and a defense

micahvargo
03-21-2009, 03:22 PM
they should trade gonzalis for a box of garbage....

Tulanehockey
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Crabtree