PDA

View Full Version : Raptors Draft Pick!

young_soldier
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Well, many of us will say that this year's season has been a dissapointment so far for the Raptors. There was so much expectation on the line for this team, from the progression of Bosh from an all star to a superstar, the transformation of Bargnani to the next Nowitzki, Calderon the next Nash, and of course Jermaine O Neal, the final piece to lead the Raptors deep into the playoffs.

Of course nothing went right, Calderon has been injured, Bargnani though preforming well is still not at the stage where he can lead this team, Jermaine O neal has been injured, and finally Bosh, while seemingly carrying the team for so long has finally broken down with an injured knee.

Well, they say every cloud has a silver lining, and of course in this scenario one has appeared. With the Raptors record currently standing at (19-33), is the possibility of a top 15 draft pick not looming over them with a great possibility?

With their records as of now, the NBA draft lottery is set in the following order,

1. La Clippers
2. Washington
3. Sacramento
4. Oklahoma City
5. Memphis
6. Golden Sate
7. Minnesota
8. Toronto
9. Indiana
10. Charlotte

With us in 8th, whos to say we won't lose a few more and move up into the top five?

Not to say the Raptors won't bounce back, as they are only about four games from the eigth playoff spot, but if they keep playing this way, a top 10 draft pick wouldn't be bad either...

_Sn1P3r_
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Let's get Derozan.

GodsSon
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
my vote is for Aminu

More shats!
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
James Harden or Earl Clark those are the players we need to go after in the draft.

koreancabbage
02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
yea we need to trade our players (Bosh and Oneal) to Washington and Clippers and get their first rounders. Lets start rebuilding now.

rapsleafsjays
02-08-2009, 01:14 AM
i think we should pull a boston and trade our high draft pick for a superstar like boston did with ray allen

marvILLous
02-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Aminu! or Harden!

The Wise 1
02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
With us in 8th, whos to say we won't lose a few more and move up into the top five?

Lets aim higher. Go big or go home! Sit Jose for the rest of the year because of the hammy and sit Bosh because of the knee. Lets go for top 3. Harden

carruthers32
02-08-2009, 03:26 AM
James Harden or Earl Clark those are the players we need to go after in the draft.

I really like Earl Clark and can go after the top 5. As much as I like Harden, I don't think he will be around when we pick.

carruthers32
02-08-2009, 03:27 AM
i think we should pull a boston and trade our high draft pick for a superstar like boston did with ray allen

So what teams are looking for a youth movement and are willing to give up a star? Rip maybe? Or Kevin Martin?

magikmc
02-08-2009, 03:37 AM
So what teams are looking for a youth movement and are willing to give up a star? Rip maybe? Or Kevin Martin?

well it depends on how good the pick would be....

Baron Davis, Arenas, Jamison, Butler, if the bucks fade Redd, maggette??

I doubt Martin would be avaliable because he's a young product they're building on...

magikmc
02-08-2009, 03:38 AM
we could also make a few trades before the deadline, and completely reshape the team and start winning... but i think if we keep bosh we will continue to fade.

B2B
02-08-2009, 05:50 AM
My pick's by position 2009 & 10

C- Thabeet,Cousins

PF- Griffin,Monroe,cousins,Hill

SF- Aminu,Clark

SG- Harden,X.Henry,Turner

PG- Wall,Evans,Holiday,Teague,Walker,Maynor

shatty
02-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I bet Derozan will be the pick if they dont trade it, super weak draft i would try to deal it 4sure

HoopsDrive
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Harden is my vote if we get that high but if not available Clark is a solid choice as well. Whoever we draft and if we don't trade it away for established players, it better be someone who can put the ball on the floor and go to attack the hoop.

Kaptain Kanada
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
yea we need to trade our players (Bosh and Oneal) to Washington and Clippers and get their first rounders. Lets start rebuilding now.

Let's trade 2 or our biggest assests for picks in one of the weakest drafts in years??? Thank god that BC doesn't answer to the PSD posters for his moves.

blujaysrock
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I bet Derozan will be the pick if they dont trade it, super weak draft i would try to deal it 4sure

I hope so

Propaganda
02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I like Earl Clark or Gerald Henderson. I think Hardin will be gone before the Raps pick if the lottery ends up as it is now. DeRozan is scary because he's not really dominating at the college level and I worry that he could be the next Gerald Green; athletic and skilled but can't put it together.

YungQ89
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Blake Griffin!!!!!!!

td0tsfinest
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
we have a lot of needs to establish. Lack of consistent wing play, a legit back up point guard and big man. One draft pick isn't going to change all this. If the raptors don't string together some good basketball after the break, than BC has some work to do in the offseason. I say we draft a wing; I really like Earl Clark, not a huge fan Aminu. The real problem is there isn't someone that really stands out in my mind. This draft is really a weak draft.

IMO, even though he's only put up a few good numbers, Demar DeRozan probably has the most upside of any player in the draft. If he does enter the draft, we can take a chance on him. Maybe he just needs the right coaching (I was never a big USC fan when it came to basketball)

Gup
02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
trade the pick away.... we need to win NOW!

and by Now i mean next year haha

ramz.n
02-08-2009, 02:04 PM
trade the pick away.... we need to win NOW!

and by Now i mean next year haha

pretty sure we have to keep a 1st round in 09

kanersen
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
we don't ^^
we technically 'kept' our pick last year

North Yorker
02-08-2009, 02:32 PM
If we keep on losing and the ping-pong balls go our way and we get pick #1, do you take Griffen and try to trade Bosh even though we would have no leverage knowing he would only be a rental(unless it's to a team that he would re-sign with-Miami,New York,Dallas,etc).

OR

Do you pull a Boston and trade the #1 pick along with JO to some team(Detroit,Philly,Wash) and get a boatload of talent(wing players) in return, have a good to great season next year an convince Bosh to stay?

kanersen
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
if we get the #1 pick i'd trade it
simply because Griffin is the concensus #1 and we aren't exactly lacking in the power positions

now if we get #2 or #3, i'd keep it and Harden in a heartbeat

B2B
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
if we get the #1 pick i'd trade it
simply because Griffin is the concensus #1 and we aren't exactly lacking in the power positions

now if we get #2 or #3, i'd keep it and Harden in a heartbeat

I like Harden but I think Aminu has the most potential in this draft. He's raw right now but when he puts it together he's a triple double waiting to happen night in & out.

He can pass
he can crash the boards
he can play inside out
he can block shots weak side & straight up due to his athleticism & 7' wingspan
he's got the size & length to be dominant at SF just needs to add weight
he can put the ball on the floor & create for himself
good in the open court
& most importantly the right attitude.

Aminu has been compared to Prince but I think he's got the potential to be better & this coming from someone that loves Prince's game. He plays at both ends.

If he's not scoring he won't be a liability defensively.

rosco
02-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Tyler Smith an Athletic Freak.... projected late First Round Sleeper...... (SF)

kanersen
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I like Harden but I think Aminu has the most potential in this draft. He's raw right now but when he puts it together he's a triple double waiting to happen night in & out.

He can pass
he can crash the boards
he can play inside out
he can block shots weak side & straight up due to his athleticism & 7' wingspan
he's got the size & length to be dominant at SF just needs to add weight
he can put the ball on the floor & create for himself
good in the open court
& most importantly the right attitude.

Aminu has been compared to Prince but I think he's got the potential to be better & this coming from someone that loves Prince's game. He plays at both ends.

If he's not scoring he won't be a liability defensively.

i agree, big fan of Aminu as well
if the raps get a pick in the #5 slot (which is what i'm realistically hoping for) and if he's still on the board, i'd take him for sure

koreancabbage
02-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Let's trade 2 or our biggest assests for picks in one of the weakest drafts in years??? Thank god that BC doesn't answer to the PSD posters for his moves.

they say that every year when there is only one consensus number one.

lol

Barg's year was "weak" but out came Gay, Roy, Rondo, Farmar, Rodriguez, Millsap, Aldridge. Pretty good young players there. No way this draft can be worse than that one before people drafted.

ModusOperandi
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Don't trade the pick; use it to draft the best player available. If its a pf, great; he can play bumper with Bosh and be great trade value. Trade J.O. for some sf help but if that's not possible than either let his contract expire or package him with our pick and Graham or Kapono to move up in the draft.

bartron_44
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
derozan does seem like an athletic freak, I see him as more of an Igoudala type, who will just take a couple of seasons to mature and put his game together. I also like BJ Mullens from Ohio State. He is an athletic 7 footer (7' ,275lb) with a legit inside game. If we draft him to be our franchise C, then we can use Oneals' $$ on a wing players. Either via trade, or in FA in 2010.

Another good SF no one is mentioning is James Johnson. He could be a sleeper with his game....smooth offensively,defensively and has a wingspan of 6'11 ;)

Bigbadmoffo
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p305vBYu7U&feature=related

Aminu is sick. This kid has superstar potential. Sounds typical but he reminds me of a skinny lebron.

hawkaveli
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Cunningham from villanova is a beast. He's not big enough for a centre but i was watching one game this guy's just having his own lil block party. He needs a little bit of time but he's going to be sick one day. First round sleeper for sure

Gup
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Derozen! i've been wanting this guy since the all american game

koreancabbage
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
if we trade Bosh i hope we can pick up some great future talents with an incoming future first rounder. IF WE TRADE BOSH, we'll be talented for the next 5 years +++. AND EXCITING. Bosh bogs down the offense with his slow and methodical waiting. doesn't play good defense. he's good but we can make this a BETTER team if we trade Bosh away. eVEN if we had Bosh, Raps would still suck. Just admit it, we sucked even before the injuries began and this coming from a guy who thought Raps would go to the conference finals with this line-up

book it.

6th man
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
What ever the Raptors do for the remainder of the season, I want them to grab another 1st round pick. This guy named Dajuan Blair would be a solid pick for our team.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

Found some videos if you guys are intersted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPPnfXuYgzU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNC-LC-SD6Q&feature=related

This guy is a beast on the boards. I know he's undersized, but he plays with so much heart and hustle. He reminds me of 2 players Paul Millsap (a guy who lead the NCAA in rebounding for 3 years, we could of picked, but we went with PJ Tucker instead), and also a bigger Dennis Rodman (one of the best rebounders the leauge has ever seen).

I also think this guy can be moved to SF, spot if need be.

Once the NCAA tournament finishes I can guarantee this guy should be a top ten pick (being a bad draft class), but some GMs will be scared to take him early. So, he may slip into the 15-25 range. This is where BC should not hesitate, and trade for pick.

Minnesota (7, 17, 28) and Oklahoma City (4, 25, 26) both have 3 1st round picks, maybe we can make a deal with them.

Dajuan averages 15 points and 12 rebounds, not to shabby for some who plays only 25mpg.

koreancabbage
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
this is goes in another thread CREATED for 1st round draft picks

6th man
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
What ever the Raptors do for the remainder of the season, I want them to grab another 1st round pick. This guy named Dajuan Blair would be a solid pick for our team.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ&feature=related

This guy is a beast on the boards. I know he's undersized, but he plays with so much heart and hustle. He reminds me of 2 players Paul Millsap (a guy who lead the NCAA in rebounding for 3 years, we could of picked, but we went with PJ Tucker instead), and also a bigger Dennis Rodman (one of the best rebounders the leauge has ever seen).

I also think this guy can be moved to SF, spot if need be.

Once the NCAA tournament finishes I can guarantee this guy should be a top ten pick (being a bad draft class), but some GMs will be scared to take him early. So, he may slip into the 15-25 range. This is where BC should not hesitate, and trade for pick.

Minnesota (7, 17, 28) and Oklahoma City (4, 25, 26) both have 3 1st round picks, maybe we can make a deal with them.

Dajuan averages 15 points and 12 rebounds, not to shabby for some who plays only 25mpg.

koreancabbage
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
he's not that good, sorry

bartron_44
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I wanna throw up when I hear about we could have had Paul Millsap instead of PJ effin Tucker....BLAH WTF!

jrob23
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
i want james harden or griffin

lets hope we can get another lottery spot

young_soldier
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
According to a certain Radio Show I was listening to, they referred to this upcoming draft as not as deep as previous ones.
(/Quote) As long as you do not get Blake Griffin in this draft, I would trade the draft pick and get a solid role player for the Raptors, mabye a SG like Caron Butler/Tayshaun Prince (Unquote/)

What do you guys think about the depth of this draft pick?

B2B
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
According to a certain Radio Show I was listening to, they referred to this upcoming draft as not as deep as previous ones.
(/Quote) As long as you do not get Blake Griffin in this draft, I would trade the draft pick and get a solid role player for the Raptors, mabye a SG like Caron Butler/Tayshaun Prince (Unquote/)

What do you guys think about the depth of this draft pick?

Aminu 18 NBA comparisson Deng/Prince 6'9" SF 7'2" wing span

Having turned 18 just over three months ago, Aminu makes up for his limitations on the offensive end with a superb package of size, length and athleticism—which gives him possibly the most upside of any freshman in college basketball.

Where Aminu stands out the most at the moment is in his ability to crash the offensive glass and operate in transition. He already ranks as one of the best rebounding forwards in the NCAA, at 12-boards per-40 pace adjusted, despite spending heavy minutes at the small forward position.

Quick and extremely explosive, he gets to the free throw line 5 times per game, which is an accurate reflection of the havoc he wreaks on the floor when he’s really dialed in.

Where he gets into trouble at times is in the half-court, where his limited skill-set can get exposed.

Like many freshman, he plays too fast and out of control, relying very heavily on his instincts rather than reading the floor and patiently surveying his options.

Another part of his game that needs plenty of work is his perimeter shot

Defensively, Aminu is doing a very nice job thus far, showing great tools (length, quickness, intensity) to get the job done, despite possessing average fundamentals and experience on the perimeter. He looks a bit flat-footed at times, but is more than athletic enough to compensate and recover back onto his man, being capable of absolutely smothering his matchup with his fantastic wingspan.

All in all, Aminu is clearly a superior talent with a huge upside to continue to improve down the road. He’s nowhere near ready to compete in the NBA right now, and probably won’t be for a few years, but someone would probably gamble on him with a lottery pick regardless if that’s the route he decided to pick. The question is whether he wants to come into the league on the red carpet--ready to play and produce-- or whether he’s just anxious to get his foot into the door. Either way, his future looks bright, as long as he continues to improve.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Al-Farouq-Aminu-1293/

Aminu is the type of long super athletic forward that has risen on draft boards the past few years. He's proven to be an excellent rebounder and runs the floor well. If he improves his perimeter shot, he will be virtually impossible to guard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2009/mockdraft

I want the Raps to draft him, he's in our draft range.

Aminu vs Monroe at AFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiZ4y0zxYA&feature=PlayList&p=109784B08BCB1346&playnext=1&index=103

Just as impressive as Farouq’s ability to score was his ability to contain Monroe on the defensive end, where he held his counterpart to a meager 8 points despite giving up 2 inches and 20 plus pounds. His length and refusal to back down seemed to frustrate Monroe, although he had plenty of help from his Norcross teammates. On the glass Aminu did an outstanding job of boxing out Monroe at times, trying his best to keep the freak from Louisiana off of the boards at every opportunity.

While it was an impressive game for Aminu, there were certainly some areas of his skill set that could use improvement. For starters, he must improve the consistency on his outside jumper if he hopes to play the wing full time at the next level. Showing the capability to shoot the ball out to three point range, he has seen mixed results in terms of accuracy.

bartron_44
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
If we draft around the 10 spot...I agree Aminu is good, but if we can trade our pick for caron butler or Tayshaun Prince.......I may have to take that offer..I don't think anyone in the draft is good enough right now to come in and be better then Caron Butler,..maybe in a few years, but not next year.

I really doubt we can get either one of those players for our pick though..unless it was like top 2 or 3...then I may have to reconsider.

B2B
02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
If we draft around the 10 spot...I agree Aminu is good, but if we can trade our pick for caron butler or Tayshaun Prince.......I may have to take that offer..I don't think anyone in the draft is good enough right now to come in and be better then Caron Butler,..maybe in a few years, but not next year.

I really doubt we can get either one of those players for our pick though..unless it was like top 2 or 3...then I may have to reconsider.

He will be off the board by then. Some drafts have him as high as the 5th pick even though he still raw.

Some 2010 drafts have him sloted at the 3rd spot claiming he may go #1 overall.

I would like him in 09 even though he may be raw at worst he will be a good to great defender who can crash the boards.

All of his flaws r mechanical which can be fixed by good coaching.

To let you know how much I like this pick if I had the #2 pick I would select him. Thankfully he's not drafting in the 2 spot.

As for trading for Prince or Caron. They would defenitely improve this team but we still won't be able to compete in my opinion

Tayshon had - Rasheed,Rip,Billups + solid bench = champions

if Tayshon was to come to the Raps we would have to give up what little talent we have to get him. Then it will be something like this.

Tayshon - Bosh,Calderon + weak bench = not a bad team but not enough.

Caron had - Jamison,Arenas,Stevenson + decent bench = 2nd round

if Caron was to come to the Raps

Caron - Bosh,Calderon + weak bench = not a bad team but not good enough

I say secure our future & keep the pick.

O'Neal,Bosh,Bargnani,Aminu,Calderon - then make a trade for the final piece.

Bargnani,Bosh,Aminu,Richardson,Calderon = nice :D

Maybe J.Johnson in 2010

Bargnani,Bosh,Aminu,Johnson,Calderon = Champs

young_soldier
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
He will be off the board by then. Some drafts have him as high as the 5th pick even though he still raw.

Some 2010 drafts have him sloted at the 3rd spot claiming he may go #1 overall.

I would like him in 09 even though he may be raw at worst he will be a good to great defender who can crash the boards.

All of his flaws r mechanical which can be fixed by good coaching.

To let you know how much I like this pick if I had the #2 pick I would select him. Thankfully he's not drafting in the 2 spot.

As for trading for Prince or Caron. They would defenitely improve this team but we still won't be able to compete in my opinion

Tayshon had - Rasheed,Rip,Billups + solid bench = champions

if Tayshon was to come to the Raps we would have to give up what little talent we have to get him. Then it will be something like this.

Tayshon - Bosh,Calderon + weak bench = not a bad team but not enough.

Caron had - Jamison,Arenas,Stevenson + decent bench = 2nd round

if Caron was to come to the Raps

Caron - Bosh,Calderon + weak bench = not a bad team but not good enough

I say secure our future & keep the pick.

O'Neal,Bosh,Bargnani,Aminu,Calderon - then make a trade for the final piece.

Bargnani,Bosh,Aminu,Richardson,Calderon = nice :D

Maybe J.Johnson in 2010

Bargnani,Bosh,Aminu,Johnson,Calderon = Champs

What if this trade for O Neal goes down, and we get Marion and resign him in the offseason

Then it would be: Bosh, Calderon, Prince/Butler, Marion, Bargnani - weak bench - that alone would get us into the 2nd round at least.

If Aminu ever goes soft he starts to sound an awful lot like Jamario Moon! What happens if he isnt used to the contact in the NBA and starts falling in love with the jump shot?

carruthers32
02-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Derozan I think is going to be alot like Gerald Green, maybe a bit better. He is to one dimensional like Green, just a dunker.

B2B
02-13-2009, 04:39 AM
What if this trade for O Neal goes down, and we get Marion and resign him in the offseason

Then it would be: Bosh, Calderon, Prince/Butler, Marion, Bargnani - weak bench - that alone would get us into the 2nd round at least.

If Aminu ever goes soft he starts to sound an awful lot like Jamario Moon! What happens if he isnt used to the contact in the NBA and starts falling in love with the jump shot?

How do you get Butler/Prince without giving up one of Bosh, Calderon, Marion, Bargnani?

Graham + Parker & a 1st for Caron or Prince?.

I agree Aminu sounds like Moon but he also sounds like Prince, it works both ways. What happens if he's better than Prince?.

6th man
02-17-2009, 01:11 AM
he's not that good, sorry

Still think Blair isn't good?

He scored 22 points, grabbed 23 rebounds(6 offence), and added a block shot vs. the #1 team in the nation, Connecticut.

He held the dominant big man, Hasheem Thabeet, to only 5 points and 6 rebounds.

Blair is listed at 6'8, but probably closer to 6'5 and Thabeet is listed at 7'3.

Blair is like a Rodman, Barkely type player. They were undersized, but they can get the job done. Management should be kicking themselves if they can't get this guy (trade for a pick or use our own).

Game stats
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290470041

I know its only one game, but man its huge.

Musical Tempo
02-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Still think Blair isn't good?

He scored 22 points, grabbed 23 rebounds(6 offence), and added a block shot vs. the #1 team in the nation, Connecticut.

He held the dominant big man, Hasheem Thabeet, to only 5 points and 6 rebounds.

Blair is listed at 6'8, but probably closer to 6'5 and Thabeet is listed at 7'3.

Blair is like a Rodman, Barkely type player. They were undersized, but they can get the job done. Management should be kicking themselves if they can't get this guy (trade for a pick or use our own).

Game stats
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290470041

I know its only one game, but man its huge.

He is a very hard worker, but he is very undersized, unatheltic, and biggest weakness his shot isn't wet like Barkley's was.

He isn't going to be a lottery pick but if you can trade banks for like late first round then you should be able to pick him up.

I would compare him to Reggie Evans if anyone. Since he is very coach able, hard worker, and most of all hustles for 48min night in and out.

Sidenote:

Thabeet is going to be an NBA flop more then likely all his has going for him is size. When he puts big numbers up against big teams some buddy holler at me. His biggest game was against Seton Hall, and supposidly their biggest guy was 6'7. He can't match up well against someone who can body him, like Blake did.

If you can get Brandon Jennings, or Harden into a Raptors uniform that would be key since even with Marion we will lack the guy who can create his own shot, and supposedly Jennings can light it up now since he been in Europe that's the rant going on on eurobasket.com

As for Harden, just youtube him and you will have your answer, guy can score, body is NBA ready, all he really might have to do is drop 5 pounds, and start dunking on people like he means it.

bartron_44
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Harden would be sick....maybe we can win the lottery like the Bulls did last season.....well we won't need #1 I don't think to get him...top 3 prob should do it though.