PDA

View Full Version : Rondo can't produce in the half court set

perkulation
02-07-2009, 06:49 PM
The way in which Kobe Bryant defended Rajon Rondo was laughable, but productive. Bryant could be seen, on several Boston half court sets, standing at the foul line instead of pressuring Rondo. In turn, Rondo was unable to drive to the basket and rendered useless. In fact, Rondo's lack of production was the reason why the Celtics lost. Anyone care to defend Rondo?

BoltLakerPadre
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
One player's lack of production was the reason for the loss? Was this by chance the first basketball game you've watched? Unfamiliar with the concept of team sports. I understand Boston fans aren't happy they lost at home to the Lakers, but to place all the blame on a ypung player like Rondo is foolish. Where were the Big 3? Or the bench? It's not on Rondo, and I really hate when people make excuses like this. His game has a weakness (outside shooting) and Kobe and the Laker's effectively took advantage of that. But it didn't decide the game.

bagwell368
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
How about KG being sick with the flu and looking like crap? How about grade z officials calling idiot fouls on the last two for KG? How about the non call at the end of the game when Allen got poked in the stomach by Mr. Overrated?

Now that I've ranted. It's quite simple. Any point guard that cannot shot well from outside can have this done to them. That does not keep Rondo from driving or passing. It also didn't keep him from taking successful shots earlier in the game when he was at good open spots for him. Better hope he doesn't ever become fully confident shooting from outside because that would put him in the top 5 in the NBA - instead of floating someplace in the 8-11 range - still pretty good considering his age and his draft position - wouldn't you agree?

cambovenzi
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
rondo cant shoot from long distance.
not really a new trend.

RileyJ
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM
The way in which Kobe Bryant defended Rajon Rondo was laughable, but productive. Bryant could be seen, on several Boston half court sets, standing at the foul line instead of pressuring Rondo. In turn, Rondo was unable to drive to the basket and rendered useless. In fact, Rondo's lack of production was the reason why the Celtics lost. Anyone care to defend Rondo?

The Celtics lost the game but, Rondo shredded the Lakers defense at will. I don't know where you get that he can't operate in the half court set. That's just stupid. He had 16 points 12 assists and 8 rebounds you fool.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2009, 07:06 PM
It is common knowledge that Rondo can't shoot, but the dude is a waterbug. The reason players sag off him is because he will go right around you if you get up on him. For all his weaknesses, I would love Rondo on my team. He makes good decisions, is everywhere on defense, and rebounds well for a pg.

Lakersfan2483
02-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Rondo is a solid point guard, I believe he almost had a triple double that game. He definitely needs to work on his jumper, but he's developing into a good player.

tonyd3b54
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
hahahahahaha can we clos this? the guy was 2 rebs away from a triple double...

Frrrrank!!!
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Obviously it isn't that big of a deal when they sag off considering they won it all last year and they played that D for most of the series against him.

Blaming Rondo for that game is stupid.:pity:

Wake's Fastball
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Honestly, if the Lakers are going to waste Kobe's defensive talents sagging off Rondo like that, there's no way that should hurt us.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Honestly, if the Lakers are going to waste Kobe's defensive talents sagging off Rondo like that, there's no way that should hurt us.

They dont use him to just sag off Rondo, they use him to help double KG and be a roamer. There is no use in having Kobe guard Allen, Kobe would have to be stuck to Allen and be ran off screens all day long. Fisher would be forced to be the roamer and help on KG. But he is too short so he would not make a difference.

The Lakers want Rondo to get the big numbers. That is why they always leave him open. They want to force the Big 3 to give up the ball to this guy. They started this game 3 of the finals. And since they started this, they have won 4 of the last 6 games vs the Celtics. Looks like they may have found a secret recipe.

kingkobe
02-07-2009, 08:48 PM
16 points
12 boards
8 assists

Do you have to be a moron to be a Laker fan or is just you?

Seriously, 2 dishes away from a triple double and hes being trashed on, please.

Ahahaha looks like the only morons are the Celtics fans as they can't even recognize their fellow idiots.

Just WOW!

perkulation
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe I'll change my thinking a little. A lot of factors were in play for the loss. I shouldn't be so quick to blame one guy. I was a little embarrased, being a Celtics fan and all, that they would let Rondo roam so freely. Kobe literally turned his back on Rondo several times to help and double others. I'm also a little frustrated with the hype placed on Rondo. I agree, he was a good pick that late in the first round. He still has a long way to go, though.

NYMetros
02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Rondo's a good player. He does it all. Sticks his nose in on rebounds, makes spectacular passes, and is one of the fastest players in the game.

Kevin Garnett said a couple of days ago that Rondo is one of the best in the game at throwing the best alley-oops passes.

perkulation, I think you're putting too much pressure on him.

He is still a very young player that is trying to develop, as well as lead his team to the promised land, all at the same time. There are still things that he hasn't learned yet.

He has one of the best basketball IQ's I've seen in a while.

The productivity that he is giving you right now exceeds anything that all the experts and analysts thought he would give you when he was drafted a couple years ago.

In many ways, he is a very unique and special player.

JAZZNC
02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Funny you call Laker fans an idiot for saying this, but the original poster is a Celtic fan. You should check facts before you start insulting people

In his defense there are a lot of idiot Laker fans:smoking: Just a fact. But any team with a huge fan base gets the casual know nothing fans that talk out of their mud cutters.

perkulation
02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
hahahahahaha can we clos this? the guy was 2 rebs away from a triple double...

No, we cannot "clos" this. The point is to not to get so excited over this guy or his numbers against the Lakers. Nobody was playing defense on him during the game. He is a great player in the transition.

kingkobe
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe I'll change my thinking a little. A lot of factors were in play for the loss. I shouldn't be so quick to blame one guy. I was a little embarrased, being a Celtics fan and all, that they would let Rondo roam so freely. Kobe literally turned his back on Rondo several times to help and double others. I'm also a little frustrated with the hype placed on Rondo. I agree, he was a good pick that late in the first round. He still has a long way to go, though.

Well they weren't really letting him roam freely. Even though Kobe was standing a bit far off that doesn't mean he wasn't paying attention to what Rondo was doing. Also, Rondo did get 16 points/12 assists which is REALLY good against the Lakers for a budding PG.

Also, since he is playing with the BIG 3 he doesn't have the mentality of taking over the games by himself in situations like that. I mean, he won't go and try to have a 30-40 pt game like Devon Harris does because he has the Big 3 to look up to.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
No, we cannot "clos" this. The point is to not to get so excited over this guy or his numbers against the Lakers. Nobody was playing defense on him during the game. He is a great player in the transition.

Good point. The Lakers wanted to give him the big numbers. Because it means the ball is out of the big 3's hands more often than not

But he is still a good point guard. Plays good defense and has good size. He turns the ball over a little bit too much for my taste but he is still young

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
In his defense there are a lot of idiot Laker fans:smoking: Just a fact. But any team with a huge fan base gets the casual know nothing fans that talk out of their mud cutters.

It is true, there are a lot of immature 14 and 15 years old on here as Laker fans who dont know better yet. I always PM idiot Laker fans and ask them how old they are. The average age of them is 13 years old. Too bad we cant card people to get into this place. I always ask them to cool it with the trash talking but they dont give a crap, they have all this new hair all over their bodies and the last thing they are worried about is computer educate

But still, the guy should not jump to conclusions. Its not like he has never seen an idiotic Celtic fan. If he hasn't, I can direct him to a few.

NYMetros
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM

No one was playing defense on Rondo?

I'm pretty sure the Lakers assigned Kobe Bryant to guard Rondo. Kobe is said by many to be one of the game's top defenders when he wants to be.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
No one was playing defense on Rondo?

I'm pretty sure the Lakers assigned Kobe Bryant to guard Rondo. Kobe is said by many to be one of the game's top defenders when he wants to be.

By Kobe guarding Rondo, means no one is guarding Rondo. They want Kobe to play help defense and leave Rondo alone.

NYMetros
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
By Kobe guarding Rondo, means no one is guarding Rondo. They want Kobe to play help defense and leave Rondo alone.

Then Kobe obviously did a terrible job because Rondo had 12 assists. Who, exactly, was Kobe helping out?

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Then Kobe obviously did a terrible job because Rondo had 12 assists. Who, exactly, was Kobe helping out?

Assist are a terrible way to look at Kobe's effectiveness helping. What is an assist? It just means Rondo hit a guy who went up and shot it. How is Kobe going to help out on that? Kobe sags off Rondo into KG'S lap. And if KG does get the ball, Kobe will go to help to get the ball out of KG'S hands. The plan is to get the ball into the hands of the non shooters. They left Rondo open and Big Baby late in the game. And it worked. Peirce put the ball in Big babys hands with the game on the line in the final minutes. He put up bricks and the Lakers won the game.

The Lakes would not mind if Rondo had 25 points, 13 assist and 8 rebounds. It just means that Ray Allen, KG, and Peirce dont have the ball in their hands for long periods of time. Kurt Rambis, the Lakers defensive coach said as much in a pre game show before the Celtic game.

Frrrrank!!!
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Rondos FG% in different scenarios:

Under 10Seconds: .588
11-15: .386
16+: .442

Wow, kinda disproves this thread.

Chronz
02-08-2009, 12:08 AM
OOPS Sorry I posted Tony Allens numbers

These are Rondo's
10Under: 60eFG%
11-15 : 48%
16+ : 46%

Obviously hes better when he has everyone on their heels but to say he cant produce in the halfcourt is stretching it. He cant play off the ball so hes very lucky to have 3 superstars who can, but he does a good job of getting them open shots.

Chronz
02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow, kinda disproves this thread.

I was going to say I couldnt believe those numbers, doesnt seem that bad when I watch him play but Tony Allen struggles in the halfcourt. 38% is not impressive though his overall FG% is still decent in the halfcourt, its a big drop from 60. Rondo is much better than him.

Frrrrank!!!
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
I was going to say I couldnt believe those numbers, doesnt seem that bad when I watch him play but Tony Allen struggles in the halfcourt. 38% is not impressive though his overall FG% is still decent in the halfcourt, its a big drop from 60. Rondo is much better than him.

Tony struggles in the half court because all he does is put his head down and flip up a shot and pray. While Rondo gets open looks because of his speed around screens and open cuts to the hoop because the D is focused on the big 3.

BUCSFORLIFE123
02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
How about KG being sick with the flu and looking like crap? How about grade z officials calling idiot fouls on the last two for KG? How about the non call at the end of the game when Allen got poked in the stomach by Mr. Overrated?

Now that I've ranted. It's quite simple. Any point guard that cannot shot well from outside can have this done to them. That does not keep Rondo from driving or passing. It also didn't keep him from taking successful shots earlier in the game when he was at good open spots for him. Better hope he doesn't ever become fully confident shooting from outside because that would put him in the top 5 in the NBA - instead of floating someplace in the 8-11 range - still pretty good considering his age and his draft position - wouldn't you agree?

or the lakers w/o bynum? or ray allens flop at teh end to try to draw a foul when no1 touched him?

NYMetros
02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
or the lakers w/o bynum? or ray allens flop at teh end to try to draw a foul when no1 touched him?

The Lakers are going to be without Bynum for a while. It's pretty weak to use that as an excuse when they very well might not have him until the 2nd round of the playoffs (or not at all). They need to learn how to play without him.

BUCSFORLIFE123
02-08-2009, 12:30 AM
The Lakers are going to be without Bynum for a while. It's pretty weak to use that as an excuse when they very well might not have him until the 2nd round of the playoffs (or not at all). They need to learn how to play without him.

if you noticed, someone used KG as having a flu and fouled out when lakers didnt have bynum the whole game to contradict that

BoltLakerPadre
02-08-2009, 12:57 AM

It's not an excuse cause we won, but someone else was whining about Garrnet being sick, and finally being called for the fouls he always got away with.

Bynum should be back long before the second round, but since when is it a weak excuse to mention the fact that your budding young big man is out?

As for learning to play without him, what kind of comment is that? Remember the team that went to the finals last year? The team that steamrolled the deepest, most talented Western Confrence ever? No Bynum on that team either, or Ariza for that matter.

JJ81
02-08-2009, 01:07 AM
pretty true

madiaz3
02-08-2009, 01:24 AM

Have you ever heard of letting some players get theirs so that others do not, and vice versa to WIN THE GAME?

Just wondering, because this was one of those cases. You're acting as if Kobe was playing man to man and Rondo drove by him and shot jumpers in his face, lmao.

Chronz
02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Umm if Rondo's getting 12 dimes, how exactly is that keeping the ball in his hands? If hes getting 12 dimes its because hes getting shots for others. You want Rondo to shoot as much as possible to take away from the teams real threats. Rondo is so good, that even when your playing him to take every shot, he finds a way to create.

Kaptain Kanada
02-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Nice.... good to see a Celtic fan crying about officiating. ;)

The1ronHorse
02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
The only thing rondo can do is drive and when there is pressure up in his face he can't do anything.

lakersrock
02-08-2009, 05:01 PM

That's funny. If a Lakers fan griped about the refs like you did, they woulda been crucified for it.