PDA

View Full Version : Boston needs bench help

oldenpolynice
02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
It doesn't show so much when they play weaker teams, but when they play the upper echelon teams like the Cavs and Lakers, the bench (especially Tony Allen and Big Baby Davis) lets them down.

It's tough to go seven-deep to a championship. The Celtics need at least one more reliable player off the bench.

Full coverage here:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/02/07/bostons-ensemble-isnt-strong-enough/

Thoughts?

Frrrrank!!!
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I think our biggest need is another big. Powe and Davis are nice, but I would like a big who is actually taller than 6'8. Mutombo would of been nice.:(

what54!?
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I can't believe people were saying big baby was a lottery pick a couple years back. They miss posey and P.J. Brown. (I doubt he comes back) Maybe they could make a under the radar trade.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
they should of kept posey i knew this was going to happen...being cheap.

Frrrrank!!!
02-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I can't believe people were saying big baby was a lottery pick a couple years back. They miss posey and P.J. Brown. (I doubt he comes back) Maybe they could make a under the radar trade.

Brown has said that he is staying retired.

MJ-BULLS
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
they should of kept posey i knew this was going to happen...being cheap.

yep:)

lakerboy
02-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Big Baby Davis,.. FTW!

Skin&Bones
02-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I think our biggest need is another big. Powe and Davis are nice, but I would like a big who is actually taller than 6'8. Mutombo would of been nice.:(

Thats true, you guys need length on your lineup.

bostncelts34
02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
well i dont understand why we arent using O'bryant for his length is size more. Kid is huge. Also, we are wasting a roster spot on Cassell. I think we should give giddens/walker more playing time. Walker especially, seems to have alot of potential and energy.

Celtics will NOT go into the playoffs with this team. Gaurenteed

BTownTeamsRKing
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
ok im very educated on the Celtics so heres my take:

Needs:
1st: Back up Center
2nd: Back up PG

The ideal situation would be Marbury and Joe Smith. while Smith isnt a center, at least he is a MUCH more consistant shooter than Davis.

Right now the Celtics are carrying about 4 players on the active roster that do nothing. UNACCEPTABLE if you want to win a championship.

Should they have kept Posey?
Yes, they should have. I admit the Celtics should have gone the extra year on Posey. DA made a mistake. Although production at his position has been fine, having Posey would have been better for experience.

THE MTL
02-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Stephon Marbury!

JJ81
02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Celtics forum

lakerfan4life1
02-07-2009, 07:43 PM
marbury aint happening no way knicks wont let him go 2 boston 2 try 2 win a championship.Marbury should of said nothing. Smith wont help much. Best bet is tryin to find Bonzi Wells where ever he is and signing him. He did a good job in houston last year and he has playoff experience and can score off the bench. Trade big baby and cassel to Denver for who ever yoy can get coach Karl would love 2 have Cassel in Denver workin side by side

JAZZNC
02-07-2009, 07:47 PM
The Celtics are fine. Their bench is fine. There is nothing to freak out about. They might could get Joe Smith. Why not try and get a guy like Collison or Brad Miller?

kingkobe
02-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Celtics forum??

oldenpolynice
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
The Celtics are fine. Their bench is fine. There is nothing to freak out about. They might could get Joe Smith. Why not try and get a guy like Collison or Brad Miller?

Sure, they're fine. But fine doesn't win championships. You can't have a weak link. And right now Big Baby and Tony Allen are weak links.

JAZZNC
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Why is it that only Laker fans think this should be in the Celtics forum??

BTownTeamsRKing
02-07-2009, 09:44 PM
marbury aint happening no way knicks wont let him go 2 boston 2 try 2 win a championship.Marbury should of said nothing. Smith wont help much. Best bet is tryin to find Bonzi Wells where ever he is and signing him. He did a good job in houston last year and he has playoff experience and can score off the bench. Trade big baby and cassel to Denver for who ever yoy can get coach Karl would love 2 have Cassel in Denver workin side by side

he is in China scoring 46 pts for zhangzzhu

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
he is in China scoring 46 pts for zhangzzhu

Are you being serious?

KeithLBC
02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Why is it that only Laker fans think this should be in the Celtics forum??

I think it's because usually when Laker's topic's are posted in the NBA forum everyone's tired of hearing about the Lakers so they complain until the post is moved. I personally get tired of that, but I don't have any control of it :shrug:

I think it's fine to have this thread here, although I do disagree with the topic. Supposedly the Lakers have the best bench in the league and the Celtics barely lost by one point. The Celtics have gone on 19 & 12 game winning streaks so why change something that's working?

The only change I'd suggest is maybe playing Powe more minutes than Davis. Davis seems like he could hit the 12-15 foot jumper a little more consistantly that Powe, but Powe is great at getting into the paint and usually gets the contact to get the and 1 :)

KB24PG16
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
they need too, just gave 60 points in the first half against the spurs

BTownTeamsRKing
02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you being serious?

well thats wat he scored in his debut. as for the team name. i forgot the actual one so i put that random name

Frrrrank!!!
02-08-2009, 06:15 PM
well thats wat he scored in his debut. as for the team name. i forgot the actual one so i put that random name

lol, you just made up a name?:laugh2: He scored 46 in his debut for the General Tso's Chickens! lol.

T.O.Fan:)
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Jason Kapono would be good for the celtics of the bench

lakerboy
02-08-2009, 06:17 PM
:mad:

boms-4
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Marbury contrat is terrible

oldenpolynice
02-08-2009, 07:41 PM
KG, Pierce and Ray Allen are having great years, but every time they leave the court the Celtics' offense goes in the crapper. When they get back into the game, they have to make up the difference. Against good teams (like the Spurs on Sunday) it's like they're always playing catch-up.

Danny Ainge needs to get these guys some help.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/02/08/the-boston-pressure-cooker/

GoatMilk
02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
They need a new starter, or two....

still1ballin
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
They need a bench.

NYMetros
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree. Their bench is pretty much non-existent. They stand no shot at beating the Cavaliers or Lakers as it stands right now. One of the reasons I love the Lakers is becausse of their depth. IMO it is the best in the NBA. Last year, Boston had a great bench. They clearly are missing James Posey.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
they don't have the supporting cast they had last yr.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
:laugh: They are like 40-10 and the defending champions. They'll get a vet or two closer to the end of the year and be fine.

snickers
02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
they need a bench and more offense firepower.

LA_Raiders
02-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Get Starbury, Reggi & Zo... LOL good luck with ur bench C.lowns

Nets fan 93
02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
They need a backup SF... who are they using? Tony allen 6'4" ?

KnicksorBust
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
:laugh: @ anyone ripping the Celtics in this thread.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
the Celtics bench is a mess. we have jams at SG and PF and then nobody at PG and Center. its time to deal some people and get some real help for the starters. this team cannot win it all as is.

today was the worst loss of the season.

Skin&Bones
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
The celtics looks very short when KG is on the bench. That sums up why they are having a hard time.

LAKERS 24/7
02-09-2009, 12:18 AM
leon powe always sticks out to me when it comes to the celts bench. he killed us during the finals and he played pretty well even when we beat them

kvrnm
02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
we are fine,we just need to play powe more, and have gabe pruitt run point as a backup instead of house, house is a shooter, not someone who can run point when rondo is out.

kvrnm
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
the Celtics bench is a mess. we have jams at SG and PF and then nobody at PG and Center. its time to deal some people and get some real help for the starters. this team cannot win it all as is.

today was the worst loss of the season.

overreacting slighlty? i think we have a great team and a great shot at repeating.

oldenpolynice
02-09-2009, 02:20 AM
overreacting slighlty? i think we have a great team and a great shot at repeating.

I don't think it is an overreaction. The problems that the Celtics had against the Spurs are the same problems they'll have against other teams in the playoffs. When the starters go to the bench at the beginning of the 4th quarter, it's almost guaranteed that they'll go on a scoring drought.

I like Powe, but House, Allen and Davis are inconsistent. They need more help or else they're toast when they meet Cleveland.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-09-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't think it is an overreaction. The problems that the Celtics had against the Spurs are the same problems they'll have against other teams in the playoffs. When the starters go to the bench at the beginning of the 4th quarter, it's almost guaranteed that they'll go on a scoring drought.

I like Powe, but House, Allen and Davis are inconsistent. They need more help or else they're toast when they meet Cleveland.

I agree that they do need somebody else, but in the post season, benches dont play as big a role as they do in the regular season. There are more T.V. commercial timeouts and the normal timeouts themselves are longer than normal. The starters typically play around 40 to 43 minutes in the playoffs.

Coaches typically shorten the rotation to around 8 players anyways in the playoffs. It might hurt them a little, but I dont think it will be the difference between winning and losing

BTownTeamsRKing
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM

heres why Boston lost vs. SA.

RONDO SAT ON THE BENCH. did u see the momentun just die when he left the game? is there any question how good he is and what he means to the team?? nope. he is the MVP of the Celtics by definition of the word.

the bench needs MAJOR work and yea the Celtics are fine, but fine doesnt get the Celtics Banner 18.

69centers
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
heres why Boston lost vs. SA.

RONDO SAT ON THE BENCH. did u see the momentun just die when he left the game? is there any question how good he is and what he means to the team?? nope. he is the MVP of the Celtics by definition of the word.

the bench needs MAJOR work and yea the Celtics are fine, but fine doesnt get the Celtics Banner 18.

Nothing proves this more than the inbounds pass that was botched by Ray Allen, when we were going for the tie and last posession down by 2. Doc inexplicably puts Eddie House out there instead of Rondo. Rondo was needed in that situation for his quickness and ability to break free for the inbounds, and also his ability to find the open man. I mean, he had 16 assists in the damn game, and Doc doesn't find him useful to get him in there to try for the game tying and saving play?!?! We didn't need the 3-point threat from Eddie on that play.

Meanwhile, because Paul Pierce couldn't break free, Ray Allen wanted to pull back at tossing him the inbounds because he wasn't open, and instead, lost control of the ball and the game.

We have a decent club, it's just our coach has to better figure out how and when to use them.

oldenpolynice
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I agree that they do need somebody else, but in the post season, benches dont play as big a role as they do in the regular season. There are more T.V. commercial timeouts and the normal timeouts themselves are longer than normal. The starters typically play around 40 to 43 minutes in the playoffs.

Coaches typically shorten the rotation to around 8 players anyways in the playoffs. It might hurt them a little, but I dont think it will be the difference between winning and losing

Good point on the TV timeouts in the playoffs. Shortening the rotation to 8 still won't help the Celtics, though. They only have 7 legitimate players (KG, Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo, Perkins, Powe and House) and only two of them are over 6'10".

Faneik
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Good point on the TV timeouts in the playoffs. Shortening the rotation to 8 still won't help the Celtics, though. They only have 7 legitimate players (KG, Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo, Perkins, Powe and House) and only two of them are over 6'10".

:pity:

You are severely underrating Tony Allen.

oldenpolynice
02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
:pity:

You are severely underrating Tony Allen.

Every time I see him play, he's unimpressive. Losing his man on defensive rotations, overcommitting, putting up ugly shots. I think I'm rating him just about right.

DaaBoTownSox
02-10-2009, 03:36 AM
It doesn't show so much when they play weaker teams, but when they play the upper echelon teams like the Cavs and Lakers, the bench (especially Tony Allen and Big Baby Davis) lets them down.

It's tough to go seven-deep to a championship. The Celtics need at least one more reliable player off the bench.

Full coverage here:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/02/07/bostons-ensemble-isnt-strong-enough/

Thoughts?

The Bench have their good moments (Mostly Eddie House), but I do agree they need some help.

Lakers09
02-10-2009, 03:53 AM
they cant afford bench help and dont have anybody worth trading...i find it hilarious watching them squirm, looking for help ahahahah

BTownTeamsRKing
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
theres always someone out there who can make an impact