PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Cavs, and Bulls are looking at Vince Carter????

kntresistheheat
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Vince, of course. Yes, it seems unlikely that any owner can sign off on a 32-year-old guy making $33M the next two years without blushing, but it's not impossible.

Two agents told us today that the Nets have talked to San Antonio, Cleveland, Chicago, and -- really, one said this, and we don't believe him - Toronto. Interesting choices, none of which fit into your "perfect world" scenario.

Spurs: They are contemplating whether Vince puts them over the top in the West, and the key component to any discussion would be Roger Mason ($3.5M) coming East. But the SA payroll is very top-heavy, so that makes it very complicated: They'd have to pile on some contracts to make it add up, and not even throwing in Bruce Bowen ($4.0) and Michael Finley ($2.5) would accomplish that. Still, at least one side believes some creative accounting can get it done (we doubt the Nets would also be able to land George Hill, a kid they like), though it would obviously involve a body count - probably with Bowen/Fin returning to the Alamo after the Nets cut them.

Cavs: There's always a doable deal with Wally and probably Delonte. But then, Rod and Kiki would never live down the accusation that they handed the Cavs their first title on a silver platter. Can't see it.

Bulls: We still have this fantasy in our little brains that Ben Gordon is getable, even though he'd have to relinquish his Bird Rights - you'd just have to whisper some magic words in the ear of Raymond Brothers (among them: "re-sign" and "cap space"). But. . . .longshot/no shot. Chicago probably hates Carter's contract anyway, as most teams do. We just like it because the Bulls aren't re-signing Ben anyway, and they'd have to include some nice frills (Nocioni, Sefolosha) in the package.

Raps: No clue what this means, unless it's the Nets' way to go all-in for 2010 (VC/Simmons for Jermaine), and give them enough space for two max players. Forget we even mentioned it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090207#STORY_16245

Draco
02-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes, it seems unlikely that any owner can sign off on a 32-year-old guy making $33M the next two years without blushing, but it's not impossible.

We just like it because the Bulls aren't re-signing Ben anyway,

Chicago's beat writer KC Johnson quoted Ben saying he'd consider resigning with the Bull's. Unlikely that any GM would want Carter is an understatement.

I guess it doesn't help Carter's image that beat writers in Newark are speculating about which other team they can unload this bum.

Trouble87
02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
cant see the spurs or cavs doing it...

chicago maybe... Toronto definitely seems logical

I would love to see Vinsanity back with the Raps & teamed with Bosh

Nets fan 93
02-07-2009, 12:36 PM
none of these trades help the Nets. they won't trade VC just for the sake of trading him.

MagicBucsSox
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
its helps the nets cap wise,i'd like to see him on the spurs finally theyll be exciting

JIDsanity
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Chicago's beat writer KC Johnson quoted Ben saying he'd consider resigning with the Bull's. Unlikely that any GM would want Carter is an understatement.

I guess it doesn't help Carter's image that beat writers in Newark are speculating about which other team they can unload this bum.

This is what makes his value so low, the people who think they know what they are talking about

Badluck33
02-07-2009, 01:06 PM
its logical for him to come to chicago for Hughes straight up.

it'll work.

for both sides.

cap space for Nets. Which is what they want

unloading LH and getting a solid SG next to rose.

stevefrancis
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
lets say the nets don't get anybody in 2010 whose gonna be there and who will watch the games?

Nets fan 93
02-07-2009, 01:41 PM
its logical for him to come to chicago for Hughes straight up.

it'll work.

for both sides.

cap space for Nets. Which is what they want

unloading LH and getting a solid SG next to rose.

yeah... no... :laugh2:

HOZ THE KNICK
02-07-2009, 01:47 PM
wild! carter on the cavs look scary.

DABEARS23
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I honestly dont see it benefiting anyone anywhere besides the Nets for salary purposes

Hawkeye15
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Pop or Mike Brown woulnd not be happy with Vince on the defensive side, but he may at least push them over the top in the next 2 years.

zambo4president
02-07-2009, 03:00 PM
If we give up LArry Hughes i am definitely for it.

Sport
02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Vince back in Toronto would be fun, but him in Cleveland would be VERY entertaining to watch.

Kakaroach
02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't see New Jersey trading him to any1 except for Chicago. Plus, what would Toronto offer them for Vinsanity?

MJ-BULLS
02-07-2009, 03:40 PM
dont want him

prodigy
02-07-2009, 03:47 PM
wally and west for VC??? ummm NO!!! wally/2 first rounders ok. But west is a fan fav, team fav, also really good player.

JordansBulls
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
If the Bulls can get Vince and Amare we would be like the Celtics with KG and Pierce and the Lakers with Gasol and Kobe.

Joshtd1
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Pop or Mike Brown woulnd not be happy with Vince on the defensive side, but he may at least push them over the top in the next 2 years.

I believe you're right about the defense...however I dont think there is anyway he could be worse then Finley.

I dont see this happening for us either way....not sure how it would play out either. As long as VC understood the offense wouldnt run through him I would accept it.

cmstophe
02-07-2009, 04:54 PM
LOL @ Cavs giving up West for VC. Nope.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I believe you're right about the defense...however I dont think there is anyway he could be worse then Finley.

I dont see this happening for us either way....not sure how it would play out either. As long as VC understood the offense wouldnt run through him I would accept it.

In order for the Spurs to get Carter, Mason, Bowen, and something would have to go. Their 3 stars make a lot of money, and they don't have any desirable mid range contracts, so they would have to get rid of a few players. That being said, NJ would almost for sure waive Bowen, and he would be back with the Spurs in time for the playoffs.

Nets fan 93
02-07-2009, 05:11 PM
LOL @ Cavs giving up West for VC. Nope.
seriously...
Carter>>>West

Nets fan 93
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Cmon people.

The offense is not ran through him here either...It is ran through Harris... in fact Lawrence Frank changed the whole offense to be ran through Harris.
Think before you type

Hawkeye15
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Cmon people.

The offense is not ran through him here either...It is ran through Harris... in fact Lawrence Frank changed the whole offense to be ran through Harris.
Think before you type

Harris does initiate all the offense, and I have even noticed them running quite a decent amount of plays for the big man, but Vince still gets the call when they need a big bucket, or deep into the shotclock much of the time.

Hellcrooner
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I would love for Carter to go back to raptros, it would be LSD like Stuff, i would chek the raps forum each 5 minutes to see fans reaction we loved you but now you are a sucker, but wait we love you!!!! to that

Hellcrooner
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
isnt west injuried? i thought you couldnt trade injured plaers..

Joshtd1
02-07-2009, 06:23 PM
In order for the Spurs to get Carter, Mason, Bowen, and something would have to go. Their 3 stars make a lot of money, and they don't have any desirable mid range contracts, so they would have to get rid of a few players. That being said, NJ would almost for sure waive Bowen, and he would be back with the Spurs in time for the playoffs.

Yep, and probably also Finley as well...but he'd also be waived it said. Apparently they like George Hill as well, so it would pretty much end up being Mason/Hill.

Jahari Kavi
02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
seriously...
Carter>>>West

yeah, but Carter has a huge contract and West has been a good fit on both ends of the floor.........Wally and some picks for Carter doesn't sound bad, but no way in hell I'd give up West for him as well............that's too much.

T.O.Fan:)
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Why would we bring back VC when he wanted out ?

shortlunatic
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
If this trade happens i will literally shoot John Paxson in the face. We overtacked at the guard position as is, the last thing we need is another one.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Yep, and probably also Finley as well...but he'd also be waived it said. Apparently they like George Hill as well, so it would pretty much end up being Mason/Hill.

I just can't see Carter in a lock em' down, game 5 defensive set against the Lakers though. However, Timmy is getting older, Manu as well, so rolling the dice may not hurt. I mean, if they get another ring, that is 5 for Duncan and co. Amazing. Plus, it would stave the Lakers off another year or two, and that is always a good thing. I can't believe I am pulling for the Spurs. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

YankeeFan89
02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
i dont see NJ trading VC

cmstophe
02-07-2009, 07:42 PM
seriously...
Carter>>>West

LOL yea if I wanted a CIVIL WAR VETERAN on my team.

Delonte West is the Cavs' best perimeter defender, whereas VC plays no D whatsoever. Delonte West is very young, whereas VC is a veteran of the Battle of Bunker Hill. Delonte West has proven to be successful before he got injured in the Cavs sytem, VC is a question mark.

Still think VC would be better for the Cavs? Then you're an idiot. Thanks.

Raps43va
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Why would we bring back VC when he wanted out ?

forget that, im down for vc to come back.

valade16
02-08-2009, 06:27 AM
cmstophe:

LOL, are you serious?! West > Carter??!!

Are you sure you aren't Isiah Thomas?

you'd take his 12 points, 3 assists, 3 boards, and 6-3 height over

Carters 21 points, 5 assits, 5 boards, 6-6 height and healthy dose of experience (yet still only 32)...

If the GM's of the teams got on the phone to discuss this deal it'd go something like this:

Nets GM: "hey, Cavs GM, were willing to trade you Vince Carter Straight up for Delonte We..."

(Interrupts quickly)

Cavs GM "Yes, no backsies!! Excuse me while I go soil myself over your stupidity..."

Wilson
02-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't understand getting Vince Carter for any of the teams listed.

The Spurs already have Tony Parker running the show in the back-court, with Manu taking over when Parker gets his rest. They'd basically be asking Vince Carter to be a spot up shooter and play defense, exactly what Mason does for them. The difference is, Mason is about $30 million cheaper.

It's the same deal for the Cavs. They've already got LeBron and Mo Williams handling the ball, why pay so much for Vince Carter to come in and be a spot up shooter?

The Bulls, Derek Rose.

The Raptors, Jose Calderon.

All these moves would be pretty stupid. They might generate a buzz, but it wouldn't win any games. If you want an example, how well did Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson work?

carlo4444
02-08-2009, 07:39 AM
forget that, im down for vc to come back.

same

netsfan91
02-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Cavs offer belongs to trash, i like bulls offer

Sportfan
02-08-2009, 08:45 AM
i dont see NJ trading VC

I agree, I think the nets want the veteran leadership of carter to help out the young guys like harris, lopez etc

prodigy
02-08-2009, 09:17 AM
seriously...
Carter>>>West

duhhhhhhh. lol

but VC is 32 and west is 25 I believe. But then wally's 13 mil expirng? not worth it.

JordansBulls
02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Getting Vince on your team with already a stable star = instant contenders and success.

Wilson
02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Getting Vince on your team with already a stable star = instant contenders and success.

I disagree, especially when you're talking about the Spurs and Cavs. They already have Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, LeBron James and Mo Williams. All Vince Carter would provide them is another guy taking the ball into the paint, and there's just not enough room.

Again, look at the Nets with Kidd, Carter and Jerfferson. All three players needed the ball in their hands, especially Kidd and Carter, and it never worked. You need balance, and outside shooting. Not just a collection of stars.

saint7888
02-08-2009, 10:45 AM
LOL yea if I wanted a CIVIL WAR VETERAN on my team.

Delonte West is the Cavs' best perimeter defender, whereas VC plays no D whatsoever. Delonte West is very young, whereas VC is a veteran of the Battle of Bunker Hill. Delonte West has proven to be successful before he got injured in the Cavs sytem, VC is a question mark.

Still think VC would be better for the Cavs? Then you're an idiot. Thanks.

this post made me laugh... west better then vc? Your str8 crazy, if west tried to cover VC str8 up 1on1 Vince would make him look like a little boy. VC was 1 of like 3 ppl to avg 20pts 5asst 5reb and the otha to Kobe, LeBron.... Delonte isn't in any kind of catagory w/ those to. The Cavs starting 5 would be crazy VC would make LeBron better 2, cuzz VC is a finisher, with all the attention that LeBron gets VC will get a lot of easy buckets.

swoosh15
02-08-2009, 11:11 AM
this post made me laugh... west better then vc? Your str8 crazy, if west tried to cover VC str8 up 1on1 Vince would make him look like a little boy. VC was 1 of like 3 ppl to avg 20pts 5asst 5reb and the otha to Kobe, LeBron.... Delonte isn't in any kind of catagory w/ those to. The Cavs starting 5 would be crazy VC would make LeBron better 2, cuzz VC is a finisher, with all the attention that LeBron gets VC will get a lot of easy buckets.

totally agree!!!!
especially at this time of vcs career it would be a perfect fit for cleveland!

Ollie Tabooger
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
any team getting carter would be a MISTAKE

JordansBulls
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I disagree, especially when you're talking about the Spurs and Cavs. They already have Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, LeBron James and Mo Williams. All Vince Carter would provide them is another guy taking the ball into the paint, and there's just not enough room.

Again, look at the Nets with Kidd, Carter and Jerfferson. All three players needed the ball in their hands, especially Kidd and Carter, and it never worked. You need balance, and outside shooting. Not just a collection of stars.

Those Nets were only good at the time because of Carter. Kidd was a shell of himself at the time.