PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Record Prediction?

Sprtsfan500
02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I see them losing 105 games, easily. Offense collapsed down the stretch without Bay and Nady. Left and rightfield will both have competition going into spring training, not a good sign, especially when you factor in the medocrity competing for the positions. McClouth should do just fine, if he sees pitching cause nobody will be in the lineup to protect him. The corner infield spots are a mess with the LaRoche brothers. It'll take until mid-june for Adam to get his 10th hit of the year and the way Andy played after coming over he'll be lucky to get 10 hits all year. Hinske doesn't impress me and would likely take over at third if Andy faulters. Middle infield is good defensively and above average offensively if sanchez can rebound, but wilson's age began to show in his range towards the end last year and I'm not sure he can lick the hitting numbers hes shown in the past. Doumit should be great if he can stay off the DL but that leaves two legit offensive threats in the lineup. By offensive threats I mean anybody who will hit .270 with over 20 homeruns, sad that the standards have been lowered to those marks. Pitching is disasterous. Gorzo i think was a one year wonder. Snell might rebound but even then, that leaves us with two above-average starters in Maholm and Snell. Bullpen is erratic with the exception of Capps and Grabow. And Grabow will be gone by July 31st for sure this year. I'm just not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. If anybody goes down, i.e McClouth, Doumit, Maholm, Capps, there is NO depth to replace them for the short-term let a lone the long-term.

burgh_fan66
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I have to ask Sprtsfan500 are you a Pirates fan? I understand the pesimisstic view but all of your posts are of this kind. Don't you see at least one bright spot for this team.

As for thier record 105 is definately not out of the possibility but I see a little better. I really dont see this team losing 100 games though they easily might. I see the offense doing ok, and some pitchers like Snell rebounding. So I see around 70-75 wins. Ill say 71-91. Well at the least hopefully they can show you something positive this year.

Sprtsfan500
02-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm an avid Pirates fan, but why be optimistic about losing? Its not that I'm being pestimistic either, its realism. I can't get excited about your prediction of 71-91. And while I do think that the new regime is making strides at improving the core of prospects, there's little reason to get excited about a new rebuilding process. I feel its better to be realistic about there season than to get excited about the hype, (i.e the new pitching coach being aggressive and not letting a player finish a drill until he masters it.) While I do think some of the things that have been hyped are a positive, they mearly take away from the real picture that they will break a record for 17 consecutive losing seasons and the stopping point of that record may not been seen for a couple of years. I do appreciate your concern with my views burgh_fan as I may jump the gun sometimes on putting doubt on this team, but I honestly think its sad when we stopped thinking about fielding a winner and instead cling to the hopes of a .500 season and a 3rd place finish in the division.

jesusncleats
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
88 wins SHOCK THE WORLD

MooseWithFleas
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
No way they lose 105 (and definitely not "easily").

I think the team will get around 68-70 wins, more if the starters bounce back some and McCutchen can provide a boost.

Prediction: 70-92

steelers=life
02-09-2009, 11:57 PM
72-90

Roy31
02-10-2009, 03:28 AM
67-95 I could see them winning more. But they lack the talent right now. Maholm is awesome.

Jerimyaustin6
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
A hole lot of LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 's

dsecosky1
02-12-2009, 10:50 AM
63 - 99. All I do know is I'm sick of Bob Nutting and the Pirates front office trying to blow smoke up the fans ***** every year about how they are "trying" to win. Let's see, trade away Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, and Damaso Marte for a bunch of prospects THAT NOT ONE OF THEM IS GUARANTEED A ROSTER SPOT to start the season ? Does that sound like trying ? Year in and year out all we hear is " if 3 or 4 of our guys have bounce back years, and 2 or 3 of the young guys step up, we might be able to win ". Well, Bob Nutting and company, if you have hope in one hand, and a pile of crap in the other, and you rub them together, what do you have ? The Pirates ownership and 2009 season. CRAP !!! I didn't go to any games last year, and if they don't do something signifcant by either trade or free agent signing by the end of spring training, I'm not wasting my money on them this year either. I'm a lifelong Pirates fan, and I hate to feel this way, but they leave me no choice. If Bob Nutting won't spend ATLEAST what Cincinnati and Milwaukee do in payroll, the Pirates will never win. Do us fans a favor Bob, sell the team to someone who really does want to win. Remember what promise was made when you asked for a new stadium ? That the profits would go to building a winning team ? Hmmm....? You have the best stadium in baseball, and we have the laughing stock of a team in baseball. It's pretty bad when Jay Leno and David Letterman joke about how bad your team is.

odatdude
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
This is pathetic. Instead of arguing over how many wins we anticipate we are debating over how many losses - and enjoying it. Damn you Sid Bream for rounding the bases and dashing my hopes of ever seeing the Pirates in the World Series during my lifetime.

Ragation
02-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I'd like to think they will win 80 games. Maybe 'pie in the sky' thinking but... I'm just glad the season is almost here... XM radio, enough with the steroid talk!!!!! Talk about the game and the up-coming season.

I'm excited about Nyjer Morgan. I hope he gets a chance to play regularly.

burgh_fan66
02-15-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd like to think they will win 80 games. Maybe 'pie in the sky' thinking but... I'm just glad the season is almost here... XM radio, enough with the steroid talk!!!!! Talk about the game and the up-coming season.

I'm excited about Nyjer Morgan. I hope he gets a chance to play regularly.

Welcome aboard. Please help me try to make this forum a more active place. I have been trying to educate anyone who might come across this board with just some basic knowledge of our players and hoping that would make it more active but alas it really hasnt worked out as I had hoped. Baseball is around the corner and I couldnt be more happy.

I dont see 80 wins but who knows. Im not as high on Morgan but there are a few players I am looking forward to seeing. I think the LaRoche brothers will do great this year playing on the same team. I think Moss will be a slow starter but eventually establish himslef as a solid major leaguer. And I have very high hopes for the McCutchens I'm kind of hoping both of them make the team out of spring training.

MooseWithFleas
02-15-2009, 03:07 PM
^^ Try advertising on other sports forums or tell your friends to join. I admire your efforts to try to raise a board from the dead; however, it only takes consistent activity from 4-5 members to attact others.

burgh_fan66
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
^^ Try advertising on other sports forums or tell your friends to join. I admire your efforts to try to raise a board from the dead; however, it only takes consistent activity from 4-5 members to attact others.

none of my friends are pirate fans. my generation is nearly completely lost. but ill try the advertising idea.

marlinsfan24
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I see the Pirates making a surprising run next season. I think they'll end up at 78-84

MooseWithFleas
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
none of my friends are pirate fans. my generation is nearly completely lost. but ill try the advertising idea.

Just make sure you do it in a non spamming way. Say what the site has to offer and how its a fun, interactive community. Don't just throw a link and sign up! like some people do on our forums

Jrizzle
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey guys.....first time writing on here although I check this site out every day. I'm 20 years old and am a Junior at Penn State. I'm writing now to say that this year is the pirates year. I know I may sound foolish right now to everyone but this is our year fella's. I'm an avid Miami Dolphins fan and have been since i've been a pirates fan. The dolphins year was a huge turnaround and I'm getting the same feelings about our Bucco's that I did with the Dolphins when everyone said they'd suck. Im gonna go on a limb and say the Pirates will go 83-81.

burgh_fan66
02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey guys.....first time writing on here although I check this site out every day. I'm 20 years old and am a Junior at Penn State. I'm writing now to say that this year is the pirates year. I know I may sound foolish right now to everyone but this is our year fella's. I'm an avid Miami Dolphins fan and have been since i've been a pirates fan. The dolphins year was a huge turnaround and I'm getting the same feelings about our Bucco's that I did with the Dolphins when everyone said they'd suck. Im gonna go on a limb and say the Pirates will go 83-81.

Welcome to the board! I like your optimism but i dont share it plus you have 2 too many games. Please post here often. By the way I'm a junior at Pitt so we have a little in common.

Jrizzle
02-17-2009, 12:37 PM
haha yeah, i noticed that I had 2 more games a few hours after I wrote it. Honest mistake. Well maybe if everyone felt the way I do around Pittsburgh that'd equal more fans, more money and each and every game would be more exciting for the players but I do know it's hard with so many years of losing. I just wish it truely was "the year" me and you were 4 when the bucco's had their last winning season, this generation deserves it for sticking around as long as we have.

burgh_fan66
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
we definately do deserve a winner. i have said before I am from a town about an hour and a half out of Pittsburgh and there is next to no interest in the Pirates especially with people around our age. Im always looked at strangley when I wear my Pirates jersey and my hat but I dont care they will win again someday.

We do have the 97 Freak Show I can recall that team at least a little but I know its not the same. This team has the potential to approach 500 this year but more realistic expections I believe are 70-75 wins and good production from a few key player. That would include Snell and Gorzy bouncing back and McCutchen establishing himself in the outfield. I also believe Moss and Andy LaRoche have to prove themselves to be at least very solid regulars. If all that happened I would be happy and excited for 2010.

sep11ie
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
88-74

Sprtsfan500
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
88-74

:eyebrow:

NYMetros
02-21-2009, 10:07 PM
88 wins SHOCK THE WORLD

That would be pretty awesome if we do get 88 wins. I think we're a couple years away from doing that. But I'm definitely looking forward to pulling a 'Rays' and sneaking up on everyone eventually. I think a good goal for us this year is 75 wins though. Maybe we can even get up to .500.

nickster16301
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
no no no they will be a bad bad team this year, until they realize duke, gorzellany, and karstens will never be a part of a winning teams pitching staff they will lose for more years and years. what they need to do is trade in a year or two one of their top prospect for a cant miss pitching prospect that is about ready and that can throw harder than 89 miles an hour. until we get a legit ace we will always lose

another thing do you guys notice a trend with are starting pitchers?
every time one has a good year he follows it up with a terrible year (ex. duke gorzo snell go back further and say perez) and what is their excuse? "i dont know what happen i didnt change a thing" well of course num nuts if hitters change their approach towards you then you sure as hell should also... i get so worked up over this team its not even funny...

one more thing... the other day when russel got an extension and huntington said he met or exceeded our expectations is absolutely ridiculous. how can they say that when they come out that year and say we expect to win

record prediction 60 wins

MooseWithFleas
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
no no no they will be a bad bad team this year, until they realize duke, gorzellany, and karstens will never be a part of a winning teams pitching staff they will lose for more years and years. what they need to do is trade in a year or two one of their top prospect for a cant miss pitching prospect that is about ready and that can throw harder than 89 miles an hour. until we get a legit ace we will always lose

another thing do you guys notice a trend with are starting pitchers?
every time one has a good year he follows it up with a terrible year (ex. duke gorzo snell go back further and say perez) and what is their excuse? "i dont know what happen i didnt change a thing" well of course num nuts if hitters change their approach towards you then you sure as hell should also... i get so worked up over this team its not even funny...

one more thing... the other day when russel got an extension and huntington said he met or exceeded our expectations is absolutely ridiculous. how can they say that when they come out that year and say we expect to win

record prediction 60 wins

I guess I won't be getting Maholm on my fantasy team this year :(

Lennonssun
02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi. This is my first post as a member of this site so howdy to all my fellow Pirate fans(what's left of us anyway). So I figured this would be a good thread to talk on first. I am overly pessimistic when it comes to this season but I'm starting to believe more and more in the talent picked up over the last five years. The pitching should be better(how much worse can it be from last year?), they have some lefty power hitters which is good considering most pitchers are right handed,and if they keep everyone they have now I.E. Jack Wilson the defense will be good, almost above average even. Therefore my prediction may surprise some but I'm calling in 85 wins at most, 80 at the least, a decent year by their and our standards.

MooseWithFleas
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Good to see a new poster on the Pirates forum. Remain active! The farm system definitely has started to replenish itself after a few bad drafts. Imagine Wieters in a Pirates uniform... I think the offense could be a good offense in a year or two, but the management NEEDS to put every ounce of effort into improving the pitching. The first 5 picks in next years draft should be starters, and any FA they sign should be a starter.

burgh_fan66
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I must agree with Moose. Good to have another poster on board. Check out my position break downs and let me know what you think.

Jimmy Shine
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I only come here rarely because of the inactivity. But 66, Ill try to come more often. Got your back, brother.

Now, given our circumstance, Im less interested in our win-loss numbers than in seeing real development from our core of young guys, and not just at the ML level. That said, let me return to the question asked...

I see 70 wins, 75 being the ceiling. And it all starts with the impact Kerrigan will have on Snell and Gorzo. If he can turn them around and we have 3 bonafide starters who can keep us in games, thats almost half the battle right there. I expect good solid seasons from Moss and Andy, especially in the power area. If Freddy is healthy he will return to .320/40 doubles form. I see McLouth duplicating his '08 and Doumit building on it. As for Nyjer, Ill give him a .265 BA with 30 steals. Good enough.

On the negative side I think Adam wont show up til June again. What can I say? Theres a tough precedent here to be broken. I also think Duke and our #5 candidates are worthless, even for back of the rotation guys.

If Im even close to being right, and our farm studs show progress, Ill put '09 down in the Win column, despite what our record is.