PDA

View Full Version : The NBA...Where Inconsistency Happens

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
This afternoon the NBA removed one of the rebounds that Lebron had against the Knicks, thus taking away his triple-double that night. If the NBA is willing to review the tape and acknowledge a potential mistake, and in the process change previous statistics, then why is that they were unwilling to do the same with game-changing blunders. In this case, im referring to the two games where the Raptors were screwed in Atlanta, first where a point was held off the board which would have drastically altered the game in crunch time, and secondly when the clock started earlier then it should have. My question is, shouldnt they be more concerned with the integrity of an actual games outcome rather then a flawed statistic which had no bearing in the win-loss column? something is fishy...

Living Legend
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Kobe wins

DrDEADalready
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Very good point

IndyRealist
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Because the NBA (aka David Stern) wants the Lakers and Celtics back in the Finals, not the small market Cavaliers. It's one reason Ray Allen was chosen to replace Jameer Nelson instead of Mo Williams (not the only reason, but hey). Lakers-Celtics is good for the NBA viewership.

lakerboy
02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Lakers - Celtics. Yeeah.

Go to Celtic forums,. and they're all saying the NBA wants a Kobe-LBJ.

MadeInDade3589
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Its true especially with the officials we dont expect them to be perfect but some are cant miss fouls and yet no call is made.

MTone8788
02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I bet if he had 11 rebounds, they would not review it and say he had only 10.

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I bet if he had 11 rebounds, they would not review it and say he had only 10.

Exactly, which is part of my point...the NBA released the statement saying they always review games to check for accurate statistics, which sounds like BS to me...how many rebounds get pulled down in a given week by every player? So they check everything? lol...i think not...the fact they would be more concerned with an individual stat then with mistakes that drastically changed games outcomes, looks very bad.

WadeCounty
02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I liked the black mambas performance anyways

HOZ THE KNICK
02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
This afternoon the NBA removed one of the rebounds that Lebron had against the Knicks, thus taking away his triple-double that night. If the NBA is willing to review the tape and acknowledge a potential mistake, and in the process change previous statistics, then why is that they were unwilling to do the same with game-changing blunders. In this case, im referring to the two games where the Raptors were screwed in Atlanta, first where a point was held off the board which would have drastically altered the game in crunch time, and secondly when the clock started earlier then it should have. My question is, shouldnt they be more concerned with the integrity of an actual games outcome rather then a flawed statistic which had no bearing in the win-loss column? something is fishy...that's a very good post.

nbaballer
02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
NBA Where Setup Happens!

LBJ23
02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Those 2 games in Atlanta were cheap.

And why review a rebound? They should be reviewing game changing plays.

stawka
02-06-2009, 06:45 PM
52-9-11>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>61-0-3.

Laker fans can sleep knowing Kareem is still the last guy to have a 50-point triple double, while Kobe fans still have sleepless night's knowing LeBron's performance was a hell of a lot better

Lakers4ItAll
02-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Everyone needs to stop *****ing about this. This isn't the 1st time they have went back and fixed a mistake in statistics.

And them reviewing other things isn't very possible because they are never going to replay a game because of a mistake by an official at the end of a game.

Refs are only human they can not always get the right call. Yes they do mess up ALOT but I'm sure there job is not easy.

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Laker fans can sleep knowing Kareem is still the last guy to have a 50-point triple double, while Kobe fans still have sleepless night's knowing LeBron's performance was a hell of a lot better

Thats not the point im trying to make though, they were both amazing performances regardless of whether he got the triple double or not...imo 61 points sounds better, but to each their own...the fact is, the NBA went and reviewed a useless play that didnt affect the final score, and stated they review plays for statistical accuracy? Really??? Is that so?? Cause i could have sworn the statistic that needs to be most accurate is wins and losses lol

MTone8788
02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
LMAO I love when these Laker's fans get SOOOOO DEFENSIVE.

They won't win the championship :)

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Everyone needs to stop *****ing about this. This isn't the 1st time they have went back and fixed a mistake in statistics.

And them reviewing other things isn't very possible because they are never going to replay a game because of a mistake by an official at the end of a game.

Refs are only human they can not always get the right call. Yes they do mess up ALOT but I'm sure there job is not easy.

so if you're David Stern, the commissioner of the NBA, would you be more concerned about getting 1 players statline correct? or getting a games outcome correct? Which review/change looks better on the league?

JimBrown
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
after reviewing the play myself, it still seems like to me the rebound goes to lebron. at worst its a judgement call either way, nothing obvious to overturn the decision. not a simple mistake of marking it for the wrong player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNmDcLwM4IQ

what do you think?

madiaz3
02-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Exactly, which is part of my point...the NBA released the statement saying they always review games to check for accurate statistics, which sounds like BS to me...how many rebounds get pulled down in a given week by every player? So they check everything? lol...i think not...the fact they would be more concerned with an individual stat then with mistakes that drastically changed games outcomes, looks very bad.

They probably do all of the time, you just don't notice it because there are only a handful of performances every year that are apart of a milestone or record breaking performance.

Are you saying you would know if David Lee recorded 12 rebounds during a game and later got marked down for 11? No, you wouldn't and you sure as hell wouldn't know if it did happen.

madiaz3
02-06-2009, 07:06 PM
so if you're David Stern, the commissioner of the NBA, would you be more concerned about getting 1 players statline correct? or getting a games outcome correct? Which review/change looks better on the league?

You're acting as if it's not an easy thing to change and correct stat-lines. Do you realize how many teams would feel upset or cheated or how cities would react if game results were able to be overturned a day or more later? It's far too complicated a process to even think about, one team being rewarded is another team's being screwed. You can't let subjectivity linger.
Get real.

Living Legend
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Kobe played 11 less minutes

KeithLBC
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
What's funny is there's a thread pointing this error out, and it just happened to be a Lakers fan that created it. All of you narrow minded people couldn't say anything else other than "you're a hater", "you're jealous of Lebron", etc...

:laugh2: :laugh2:

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Do you realize how many teams would feel upset or cheated or how cities would react if game results were able to be overturned a day or more later? It's far too complicated a process to even think about, one team being rewarded is another team's being screwed.
Get real.

So what are you saying? That if a blatant and incorrect call is made we should let it slide because we dont want to hurt that city/its fans feelings the next day? LOL...Or that a team who benefits from their own wrong doing should not be punished??...think next time before you post...The review process obviously cant be as hard as you claim it to be since 1 rebound in question was overturned 2 days later

MTone8788
02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
after reviewing the play myself, it still seems like to me the rebound goes to lebron. at worst its a judgement call either way, nothing obvious to overturn the decision. not a simple mistake of marking it for the wrong player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNmDcLwM4IQ

what do you think?

I watched it a few times, it almost looks as if Ben Wallace is fumbling to hold it and then it winds up in Lebron's hands.

And now that I watched it again, its looks like Wallace maybe tapped it with his hand to lebron.

stawka
02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Kobe played 11 less minutes

Yeah true my bad. I didn't realize that Kobe is that good that he could rack up another 9 rebounds and 8 assists in 11 minutes. Sorry to look so stupid :rolleyes:

homestarunner93
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Those 2 games in Atlanta were cheap.

And why review a rebound? They should be reviewing game changing plays.

You aren't LBJCleBrowns23, are you?

madiaz3
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
So what are you saying? That if a blatant and incorrect call is made we should let it slide because we dont want to hurt that city/its fans feelings the next day? LOL...Or that a team who benefits from their own wrong doing should not be punished??...think next time before you post...The review process obviously cant be as hard as you claim it to be since 1 rebound in question was overturned 2 days later

Marking down one rebound is completely incomparable to what you're suggesting. I don't know if you're aware of how many games exist but there would be at least 30-40 games overturned or held in a pending position during the course of one season. If someone reviews and sees that a player fouled out, they cannot simply mark it down, they have to redo it as they already attempted to do last season with the Heat and Hawks game. That became such a complicated mess to redo 51 seconds because players on the roster had been traded since then. Imagine having to redo parts of games for 40 games and to have these played out up to 3 or 4 months later (original game december, redo in march)? So if an error happens in april you must finish regular season games in June? Maybe that one team will suddenly rise from the 3 seed to the 2 seed. You have to be realistic, and you're not.

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Marking down one rebound is completely incomparable to what you're suggesting. I don't know if you're aware of how many games exist but there would be at least 30-40 games overturned or held in a pending position during the course of one season. If someone reviews and sees that a player fouled out, they cannot simply mark it down, they have to redo it as they already attempted to do last season with the Heat and Hawks game. That became such a complicated mess to redo 51 seconds because players on the roster had been traded since then. Imagine having to redo parts of games for 40 games and to have these played out up to 3 or 4 months later (original game december, redo in march)? So if an error happens in april you must finish regular season games in June? Maybe that one team will suddenly rise from the 3 seed to the 2 seed. You have to be realistic, and you're not.

How many times in one year do you hear about the home team forgetting or just not marking down 1 point for the visiting team? I havent heard of that since that game in Atlanta...once again though, my point is, the league did nothing about it yet went and ensured that the Lebron was given one less rebound...so again i reiterate...what looks better on the league? a blown call which affected the games outcome? or a single rebound?

madiaz3
02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
How many times in one year do you hear about the home team forgetting or just not marking down 1 point for the visiting team? I havent heard of that since that game in Atlanta...once again though, my point is, the league did nothing about it yet went and ensured that the Lebron was given one less rebound...so again i reiterate...what looks better on the league? a blown call which affected the games outcome? or a single rebound?

It happens all of the time, unless you have League Pass and watch every game religiously, you don't know about it. It won't get any major publicity either if it is in the opinion that it did not affect the final outcome AND/OR more commonly it is a game between lesser known and "unimportant" teams.
Even if it only ACTUALLY happens in about 8 games a year you know that teams won't hesitate to use their disputes ala football frequently. Regardless of a dispute being wrong, they will still have to take time to review it.

cambovenzi
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
This afternoon the NBA removed one of the rebounds that Lebron had against the Knicks, thus taking away his triple-double that night. If the NBA is willing to review the tape and acknowledge a potential mistake, and in the process change previous statistics, then why is that they were unwilling to do the same with game-changing blunders. In this case, im referring to the two games where the Raptors were screwed in Atlanta, first where a point was held off the board which would have drastically altered the game in crunch time, and secondly when the clock started earlier then it should have. My question is, shouldnt they be more concerned with the integrity of an actual games outcome rather then a flawed statistic which had no bearing in the win-loss column? something is fishy...

who they credit with a rebound has no effect on the outcome of a game.
it is just official scoring.

no one knows what would have happened in a game if a point here or there is changed. you cant go around changing those on a whim.

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
no one knows what would have happened in a game if a point here or there is changed. you cant go around changing those on a whim.

Do you realize how bad that sounds? If a point is changed "here or there" with no repercussions from the league then that throws the integrity of the entire league into the gutter...don't you think?

Missing56&33
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM

I agree with you, if he had not got the triple double say he had 6 rebs instead of 10 would they had gone back and taken the reb away???? No, so I think its ridiculous that league officials are paying attention to the media and ESPN more than the bad officiating that cause the outcomes of games. I dont agree with taking it away from him. The NBA has some serious issues.

cambovenzi
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Do you realize how bad that sounds? If a point is changed "here or there" with no repercussions from the league then that throws the integrity of the entire league into the gutter...don't you think?

what do you want them to do?
go back and change a missed call that would possibly change the outcome of the game?
unless its obvious and blatant, its not going to happen.

you cant assume the game would have finished in the same manner it did.

in this specific case, they saw a scoring error and fixed it.
it didnt change the score or anything. just who the credit was given to.

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
what do you want them to do?
go back and change a missed call that would possibly change the outcome of the game?
unless its obvious and blatant, its not going to happen.

you cant assume the game would have finished in the same manner it did.

in this specific case, they saw a scoring error and fixed it.
it didnt change the score or anything. just who the credit was given to.

Its an entire missed point!!! lol of course thats going to affect the outcome of the game considering the hawks won by 4(i think)...that changes the entire dynamic of what you would need to do in the final few possessions.

Randy West
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
because they really don't give a F if the right thing is done or not

just as long as the ratings are hi and the dollars keep flowing in

Stern and officials could care less about the supposed integrity of the game imo

GodsSon
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Stern and officials could care less about the supposed integrity of the game imo

:clap: couldnt have said it better

madiaz3
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
:clap: couldnt have said it better

What you should worry less about is the NBA's correcting mistakes and more about the NBA committing game changing mistakes in the first place.

cambovenzi
02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Its an entire missed point!!! lol of course thats going to affect the outcome of the game considering the hawks won by 4(i think)...that changes the entire dynamic of what you would need to do in the final few possessions.

in any pro league its very rare to see officials go back and change the outcome of the game.

a fixed stat is something they can change w/o altering the result game.

claiming they dont care about the integrity of the game is childish and libel at best.

Randy West
02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
in any pro league its very rare to see officials go back and change the outcome of the game.

a fixed stat is something they can change w/o altering the result game.

claiming they dont care about the integrity of the game is childish and libel at best.

and acting like they care and doing nothing is what exactly??

I guess that is caring about the game in your opinion

nBaLivEchamP
02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
heeyyyy....good for me that lebron got 1 less rebound.....it helps me on my fantasy lineup and its pretty close in reb...im goin against lebron lmao......seee good job nba!!!! =)

KB24PG16
02-07-2009, 02:26 AM
NBA Where Setup Happens!

:pity:

LakerzDQ
02-07-2009, 06:55 AM
do you guys actually think that the NBA likes Kobe more than Lebron?

haha

stawka
02-07-2009, 07:04 AM
heeyyyy....good for me that lebron got 1 less rebound.....it helps me on my fantasy lineup and its pretty close in reb...im goin against lebron lmao......seee good job nba!!!! =)

A prime example of why 13 year old's shouldn't have the internet, let alone cable TV in mental hospitals.

Do you even live in LA? Or do you only follow the Lakers because of Kobe? Has to be the case, because even guys that follow the Lakers would look at your comment and think you're a complete IDIOT! :clap:

mike_noodles
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Yes they do, Atlanta vs Miami last season, Shaq was inadvertantly given his 6th foul, they replayed the last two minutes of the game.

LanceUpperCut
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes they do, Atlanta vs Miami last season, Shaq was inadvertantly given his 6th foul, they replayed the last two minutes of the game.

Ya that's Shaq on an American team.The NBA ,ref's and David Stern hate the Raptors because there from Canada.

mvp24crp
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Lau ! Lbj played 46mins KB played 37 thats 9 extra mins get real kobe could have broke his 81 if he wanted to be lol kobe 2nd 2 no 1 !!!!

AntwanN21
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Back to who you thinks performance was better id like to point out that no onw but lebron did anything in that game while kobe had pau gasol who had 30 plus points.Also Lebron was the second leading rebounder other then wally which doesnt say much.

Not that im a fan of either of them but nonetheless they were two extrodinary performances.

JJ81
02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Kobe wins

:)

TmacBryant
02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
lakers already beat celtics twice ( once without bynum)

But if cavs some how dominate lakers this sunday.... then i am sure that stern would rather have LBJ and kobe go against each other instead of the celtics

what54!?
02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
lakers already beat celtics twice ( once without bynum)

But if cavs some how dominate lakers this sunday.... then i am sure that stern would rather have LBJ and kobe go against each other instead of the celticsno stern would rather have the C's and Lakers in the finals for a rematch. Those two games this year between them were the highest rated games and it be more fitting ratings to see the lakers and C's have finals rematches like in the 80's.

cambovenzi
02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
A prime example of why 13 year old's shouldn't have the internet, let alone cable TV in mental hospitals.

Do you even live in LA? Or do you only follow the Lakers because of Kobe? Has to be the case, because even guys that follow the Lakers would look at your comment and think you're a complete IDIOT! :clap:
nice baiting.
he is semi-jokeing.
hes not acting like its national news, but he does have a fantasy team.
it is good for him.

pull the stick out of your butt.

Chronz
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Your really stretching it, and yes the NBA has people reviewing the stats, they just dont make it public. Remember when Dreams quadruple double was taken away.