PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin O'neill still in the NBA?

raptor25rs
02-06-2009, 04:59 AM
I would like to see BC get him back as an assistant coach, he's a good defensive minded coach, not a good head coach but definitely would be a great assistant to whoever we get in the offseason.

The season he was head coach of the raps, our defence was good, but really lacked in the offensive end, so if we could find a good offensive minded head coach and sign O'neill as an assistant and get rid of the garbage on the roster would be a huge improvement

mike_noodles
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes he is, not sure where but I've seen him around this season.

Bob_at_york
02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I think he was in Memphis but he might have left when their head coach got fired.

Frank Costanza
02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
still in memphis the last time we played them post coaching change, liked his stuff, wasnt his fault vince and jalen went down after the all star game that yr, team was in 6th most of the way and bosh was a rook and still had impact

ramz.n
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
i thought he was with the Pacer's organization...hes not a bad coach..he just didn't have much to work with...and hes the one who brought bosh off the bench in his first few games instead of pushing him into the starting lineup which was pretty bold but im a way helped Bosh adjust slowly to the league..and from then on Bosh just took off.

ink
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Grizzlies reassign Kevin O’Neill to new role of Special Assistant to the General Manager

Memphis, January 26, 2009 – The Memphis Grizzlies have reassigned Kevin O’Neill to the new role of special assistant to the general manager, Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace announced today.

“Kevin O’Neill was instrumental in our draft preparations last year, which resulted in bringing O.J. Mayo and Darrell Arthur to the Grizzlies,” Wallace said. “Kevin is a very valuable resource for us. He has the rare combination of college coaching experience, as he was recently a head collegiate coach for a NCAA Tournament-caliber team, and he has a perspective of a NBA coach. We are eager to have Kevin’s input in our draft evaluation process again this year.”

nba.com (http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizzlies_reassign_kevin_oneill-090126.html)

This happened when the Grizzlies named Lionel Hollins Head Coach (for the second or third time ...)

LD V2.0
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I think Kevin O'Neil would be a better head coach for this team then Jay but neither is the answer. As for him coming back here as an assistant or in any other way shape or form, never going to happen. He threw MLSE under the bus(Suggesting that MLSE didn't care about winning) and got axed the very next day for it. Colangelo is smart enough to recognize this and not even consider the idea of bringing him in.

Frank Costanza
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
i thought jay stole his play book on defence, hasnt showed yet

raptor25rs
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I think Kevin O'Neil would be a better head coach for this team then Jay but neither is the answer. As for him coming back here as an assistant or in any other way shape or form, never going to happen. He threw MLSE under the bus(Suggesting that MLSE didn't care about winning) and got axed the very next day for it. Colangelo is smart enough to recognize this and not even consider the idea of bringing him in.

I agree, but i think that if the opportunity was there to bring him back as an assistant and the MLSE wouldn't want him back cause of the past would be really stupid, and would show me that they didn't care about winning, which Kevin O'neill was absolutely correct on, or else they wouldn't of hired Rob Babcock

Gup
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
haha what a cat he was

LD V2.0
02-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree, but i think that if the opportunity was there to bring him back as an assistant and the MLSE wouldn't want him back cause of the past would be really stupid, and would show me that they didn't care about winning, which Kevin O'neill was absolutely correct on, or else they wouldn't of hired Rob Babcock

I liked him but I understand why he got axed. The guy threw his bosses under the bus. You don't do that in any job, in any industry if you value your position. For them not to consider the guy in the future would say nothing other than that they don't want anything to do with loose cannons. The fact that he was right or wrong has nothing to do with it. It should not have been said period. Life is all all about diplomacy and picking your fights. You don't pick a fight with your boss in front of the national media, sorry he was a complete dumb *** to do it.

Jacob K.
02-06-2009, 05:58 PM
i always liked him aha