PDA

View Full Version : Do you cheer for ex-Patriots once they're on another team?

torrance
02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Of course, I don't expect any of us to cheer for them when they're playing the Patriots, but otherwise...? And if you do or don't, give reasons.

Examples:
I loved Vinatieri when he was here, but I find when he misses for the Colts now, a little smirk comes over my face. My therapist says this is natural, but still prescribes the shock treatment, but that's another topic.

And when Branch was traded to Seattle after the contract dispute, I was glad to see he didn't do too well. Now, I don't care so much.

Now, Willie McGinnest I've always cheered for.

If/when Cassel is traded, will you cheer for him (as long as he's not on the Jets), and not playing the Pats?

poppa12645
02-06-2009, 01:38 AM
yes I cheer except for adam V. The colts really?

bagwell368
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
If they are cut or traded, and find homes elsewhere then I'm for them - but not that much.

If they leave over a contract, and even hint that the offer is an insult, then I hate them to my dying day and wish only bad things to befall them on the field. AV? Bastard! Samuel? Evil incarnate. Curtis Martin? Scum. Terry Glenn? Don't even ask about "she"

How could I forget?? (old age)

I have voodoo dolls of ex Pats (and Red Sox too) and I stick rusty pins in them..... hahahhahahaha!!!

ERLynx
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
i agree with Bagwell 100%. I loved Branch but he hasn't been the same player without TB, and for that, I am happy. I also laughed my bawlls off when Philly lost in the NFC championship game. Again. Peace out, Asante.

Haha I love how you brought up Martin and Glenn too.

holywack17
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Some guys i cheer for, some i dont. I dont cheer for Branch, adam v, or ty law.....well at least when hes on the jets. But i still like asante, daniel graham...neva shoulda let him go. I also still like milloy and mcginest.

Crickr
02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Mildly put once they are gone I tend not to cheer for them .

The Intimidator
02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I will always appreciate what Vinatieri did for us, but he is essentially as good as dead to me now. He left because the Colts offered him more money, money that he probably didn't need. So therefore, whenever I see Vinatieri miss a field goal, I have a big smile on my face.

Deion Branch is someone who I will despise for a long time. I fully appreciate his struggles, as well as the struggles of his new team. Although I believe that the Patriots overplayed their hand by giving him permission to find a deal with another team, I still support their decision to trade him. I feel that he wanted to be the man, and that wasn't going to happen here. So now he can enjoy his fat contract while losing.

Asante is another person who I can't stand. How long did it take for him to sign with the Eagles? About 5 minutes after the free agency period began? He has a tattoo on his arm that says "Get Paid" for god sakes! I didn't expect the Patriots to re-sign him, but let's be honest: they wouldn't have had a chance to do so if it was their main goal last offseason. I was steadfastly rooting against the Eagles this season (except when they played the Giants), and I was overjoyed when they lost to Arizona. Asante, just like Branch, will be filling the hole in his heart with a boatload of cash.

Other players, such as Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinnest, etc. are players I still respect and still root for. When the team moves on from you, I don't hold it against you, you know? Other guys, like the players listed above, will be despised forever in my mind.

superius
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
For me it depends on the player and it depends on the team.

If you go to the Jets, Dolphins, Colts, Steelers, Cowboys or Eagles I cheer against them having any further success. It's a matter of principle for me.

If the guy was a good guy and is on another team then those listed I'll cheer for them unless they tried to force their way out of town (Deon Branch).

ERLynx
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
asante's tattoo says "get rich to this". he says it is a celebration of being successful at whatever you do. in reality he is a greedy overpaid primadonna with bad ink.

DaaBoTownSox
02-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Of course, I don't expect any of us to cheer for them when they're playing the Patriots, but otherwise...? And if you do or don't, give reasons.

Examples:
I loved Vinatieri when he was here, but I find when he misses for the Colts now, a little smirk comes over my face. My therapist says this is natural, but still prescribes the shock treatment, but that's another topic.

And when Branch was traded to Seattle after the contract dispute, I was glad to see he didn't do too well. Now, I don't care so much.

Now, Willie McGinnest I've always cheered for.

If/when Cassel is traded, will you cheer for him (as long as he's not on the Jets), and not playing the Pats?

For me, it depends on the manner in which they left the team.

Vinatieri, Branch...I don't cheer for them. McGinest? Well, I don't cheer for him, nor do I cheer against him.

But, when & if Cassel ever leaves, I will most definitely cheer for him.

Sportfan
02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
It depends on how they leave

JMF
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Nope. I honestly don't care about anything to do with the NFL unless it involves the Pats. i.e. me not watching the Super Bowl this season because I could care less about either team or who wins.

Patsfan56
02-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I will always appreciate what Vinatieri did for us, but he is essentially as good as dead to me now. He left because the Colts offered him more money, money that he probably didn't need. So therefore, whenever I see Vinatieri miss a field goal, I have a big smile on my face.

Deion Branch is someone who I will despise for a long time. I fully appreciate his struggles, as well as the struggles of his new team. Although I believe that the Patriots overplayed their hand by giving him permission to find a deal with another team, I still support their decision to trade him. I feel that he wanted to be the man, and that wasn't going to happen here. So now he can enjoy his fat contract while losing.

Asante is another person who I can't stand. How long did it take for him to sign with the Eagles? About 5 minutes after the free agency period began? He has a tattoo on his arm that says "Get Paid" for god sakes! I didn't expect the Patriots to re-sign him, but let's be honest: they wouldn't have had a chance to do so if it was their main goal last offseason. I was steadfastly rooting against the Eagles this season (except when they played the Giants), and I was overjoyed when they lost to Arizona. Asante, just like Branch, will be filling the hole in his heart with a boatload of cash.

Other players, such as Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinnest, etc. are players I still respect and still root for. When the team moves on from you, I don't hold it against you, you know? Other guys, like the players listed above, will be despised forever in my mind.

I agree except for Milloy. There was something on the news that stuck out to me years ago, when some kid asked him for an autograph and he basically acted like an *** and crushed te little kids heart. No, I don't have a link, but that's how I remember it. I remember my Dad saying "What a dick.", and we never rooted for him again, even while he played for the Pats.

For me, if the guy shows some class and humility as a human being, then I will root for them (passively). If they act like an jerk, then I basically hoppe for them to end up on a 1-15 team.

One last clarification- I don't care who it is- if they go to the Jets, it's over. I root for their absolute failure.

bagwell368
02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
yeah, the Jets and Colts are the top of the enemy list.

Miami, Dallas (Americas team if you a druggie or cheat on your wife), Oakland, Giants (cause its NY, cause I was forced to watch NFC games in the 60's by TV exec's that thought it was my home team) would be the next tier.

I respect Pittsburgh and Denver - but I still hate anyone that goes there.

All the other teams suck eggs either way.

Crickr
02-14-2009, 11:13 PM
yeah, the Jets and Colts are the top of the enemy list.

Miami, Dallas (Americas team if you a druggie or cheat on your wife), Oakland, Giants (cause its NY, cause I was forced to watch NFC games in the 60's by TV exec's that thought it was my home team) would be the next tier.

I respect Pittsburgh and Denver - but I still hate anyone that goes there.

All the other teams suck eggs either way.

couldn't agree more

krazedvike
02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm a Viking fan and I have became a "some what" Pats fan(NE is my 2nd favorite team). The main reason is Moss. After he joined the team I watched a lot more NE games until I started to root for them(not just Moss). I hope you guys win another one with Moss so he can get a ring.

I wished he could have got one in Minny. But since he didn't, getting one with NE is the next best thing.

J-E-T-S
02-15-2009, 04:19 AM
What about Curtis Martin?

I mean Curtis Martin was a class act throughout his entire career, on and off the field. I think he would have been a Patriot if Parcells didnt become coach of the NYJ along with BB and the gang.

poppa12645
02-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I always liked Curtis Martin even with the Jets

ERLynx
02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
i loved curtis martin. i had a curtis martin jersey. i think i still have one in my bedroom in my parents house.

then he went with tuna to NYJ. and they went on to be such a hysterical joke.

and we got BB...

congratulations, jets transfers!

ill take 3x championships over NOTHING every day.

MilledgeGomez
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I cheer for a few like Willie and Graham

kbjohnson26
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Don't really "cheer" for them. But I still like Willie Mac. I still followed Drew B. Thats really about it for me.

DieHardColtsfan
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Any love for Venateri?

The Intimidator
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Any love for Venateri?

No, none whatsoever. He's dead to me, for all intents and purposes. See post #7 for further testament to this.

poppa12645
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Yup Dead!!