PDA

View Full Version : Patriots tag Cassel

griff141
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
The Patriots have assigned the franchise tag to QB Matt Cassel, as expected.
The franchise number for Cassel is $14.65 million, which is similar to Tom Brady's salary. If the Pats are comfortable with Brady's rehab and the development of last year's third-rounder Kevin O'Connell, they can dangle Cassel for an early round pick. The other options include working out a deal with Cassel to act as insurance against a possible Brady setback, or letting him play out the season on a one-year deal.

Rotoworld

Crickr
02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
As expected now lets see what the Pats decide to do with him.

chomaru
02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I could see the Vikes (22) or the Lions (20) giving up a 1st rounder for Cassel

JerseyBrave
02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
^ I agree especially the lions since they have 2 first rounders, and will be able to keep the number 1 overall pick, by trading for cassel, and maybe could use the #1 overall pick to build a offensive line

holywack17
02-05-2009, 09:00 PM
What do you guys think of this....Cassel to the Chiefs for Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Both guys want out of KC....the chiefs get their quarterback of the future...we get a tight end who can catch(we still keep watson for blocking)and the perfect type of running back for the pats running system(one cut then get downfeild...opposite of maroney). Then we could focus solely on defense in the draft.

TURBOGOD
02-05-2009, 09:34 PM
What do you guys think of this....Cassel to the Chiefs for Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Both guys want out of KC....the chiefs get their quarterback of the future...we get a tight end who can catch(we still keep watson for blocking)and the perfect type of running back for the pats running system(one cut then get downfeild...opposite of maroney). Then we could focus solely on defense in the draft.

No

Patsfreak1776
02-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Gonzalez and Johnson are both on the downside of their careers. And whether people like it or not, Brady may not be the same and I hate to say it but ever since he started doing the whole celebrity thing his mind seems to be on other things besides football.

WhiteWesWelker
02-06-2009, 03:01 AM
No way that happens. Cassel is getting traded with the deal being centered around 1st round draft picks. I could see picks combined with a player, but I feel the deal will be centered around picks. Also...at this point...I would almost guarantee that cassel gets traded. The pats will be banking on brady being healthy for next year, and worst comes to worst, they have 3rd rounder o'connel ready to go. they are committing way to much money to those 2 QBs, and there is no way brady is going anywhere...thats how i see it

JerseyBrave
02-06-2009, 03:43 AM
^ I agree 100%

JoeSchroeduh
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Gonzalez and Johnson are both on the downside of their careers. And whether people like it or not, Brady may not be the same and I hate to say it but ever since he started doing the whole celebrity thing his mind seems to be on other things besides football.

How can you say this??? Besides 8 minutes last season the last time he was able to play football was the best season a QB has ever had. Ever since his "celebrity thing" he's been down with injury, so he hasn't been able to do "football things".

bagwell368
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Cassel is not worth multiple #1's, too many questions about him, and the fact he has a few years on him, and will cost a deal that looks very much like a high #1 (5 years for $60M with a lot up front). After a team goes through that expense you expect two #1's - how are they supposed to build?

Rob Johnson got dealt for way too much a few years back, I think teams are off of that. I'll take Detroits 20th and be happy with that - or maybe there #2 (33?) and #3 (65?), #4 (97?) which in the draft formula might come up higher then the 20th. The combination of that stuff along with what they have could lead to rolling forward more gem picks for next year (like that 3rd for this years SD #2 - stupid of SD), and a serious haul this year. Not bad for a guy that everyone thought should get cut during camp.

Gonzalez the Pats could use since Watson blows dead turtles, but he has a big yap, and would have a lesser role here, not sure he is the guy. The Pats generally need the blocking more then pass catching if they can only have one. Or both - the next Ben Coats would be nice to have about now - and god knows Gonzalez isn't that.

Johnson would appear to have little tread left on the tires, he could get cut, why assume a big contract when you might get him at .28 on the dollar later - assuming you want his yap in town.

mc6796
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I think the landing spot that makes the most sense is Detriot. With two picks in the first round they can get Cassel, draft the best Tackle in the draft to protect him. I think that dispite the pathic season the Lions just had, it may be the best situation for Cassel. If he is in Detriot will have a solid RB in Kevin Jones and one of the most productive WR in Calvin Johnson to throw to. I really think that a quaterback like Cassel could greatly improve that team. The Lions have alot of good young players in place and if they can draft a true LT and are able to move Gosder Cherilus back to his natural RT spot they will have really good tackles to protect Matt.

bagwell368
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I think the landing spot that makes the most sense is Detriot. With two picks in the first round they can get Cassel, draft the best Tackle in the draft to protect him.

Great minds... that's what Holley was saying yesterday on EEI.

I agree, I can see KC as well, and maybe a sneaky team like the Bears. It's good for the Pats to have more then one team rumored to be involved....

mc6796
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I have always thought, just based on the picks, it was the best trade for the Pats, they're great with picks in the low 20's, and Calvin Johnson helps to make it a decent spot for Cassel. If Johnson can have the year he had with the QBs he had last year, Cassel-Johnson combo could be great. But after hearing the comments on WEEI about the possible line improvements, I can't see a situation where both parties in the trade will be happier with the outcome.
I'm also beginning to think a Ray Lewis signing might be more likely. In the PFT article the only team not mentioned was NE. The same thing happened when they signed Adalius, every team was going to sign him to big money, but out of the blue he signs for allittle less to NE. The Lewis stuff is starting sound very similar.

bagwell368
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I have always thought, just based on the picks, it was the best trade for the Pats, they're great with picks in the low 20's, and Calvin Johnson helps to make it a decent spot for Cassel. If Johnson can have the year he had with the QBs he had last year, Cassel-Johnson combo could be great. But after hearing the comments on WEEI about the possible line improvements, I can't see a situation where both parties in the trade will be happier with the outcome.
I'm also beginning to think a Ray Lewis signing might be more likely. In the PFT article the only team not mentioned was NE. The same thing happened when they signed Adalius, every team was going to sign him to big money, but out of the blue he signs for allittle less to NE. The Lewis stuff is starting sound very similar.

Lewis... man.. if he would only bring Ed Reed with him, and the Pats could fit them in the cap, buy the tickets for the next coupld of SB's.....

Ewagner
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
i would love to see tony gonzalez here. it would help are all around team and would help brady coming back from injury. teams would not be able pin there ears back and come after brady. with the threat of gonzalez, welker, and moss it would be very difficult to blitz this team. brady could throw it up to gonzalez or moss and they could come down with it in single coverage. i beleive no matter what happens you will see the pats come away with a solid TE. if we get the 20th pick from detroit they will select pettigrew.

mc6796
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Gonzalez is a great TE I just don't really see a match for him in NE. First off he talks to much, secondly, he doesn't block, he is a big reciever, third, he catches alot of the same routes that Welker catches, and finally he isn't a long term fit, I think it is more likely that the Pats take a TE in the 2nd or 3rd, they have tried and failed to the big play TE two, maybe three times, Dave Thomas still could pan out to be a Dallas Clark type. I think it is time to take a step back and get a solid all around TE.

Ewagner
02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Gonzalez is a great TE I just don't really see a match for him in NE. First off he talks to much, secondly, he doesn't block, he is a big reciever, third, he catches alot of the same routes that Welker catches, and finally he isn't a long term fit, I think it is more likely that the Pats take a TE in the 2nd or 3rd, they have tried and failed to the big play TE two, maybe three times, Dave Thomas still could pan out to be a Dallas Clark type. I think it is time to take a step back and get a solid all around TE.

you know you might have changed my mind. i had the thought before the thought of gonzalez crossed my mind that the patriots would go after a solid blocking TE. i may be back leaning that way.

bagwell368
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
according to ESPN the Pats are firm on two #1's. If they ever pull that off, its the rip off of the year.

mc6796
02-06-2009, 05:28 PM
according to ESPN the Pats are firm on two #1's. If they ever pull that off, its the rip off of the year.

I just can't believe that at all, no one would do that, it's either 100% speculation or the Pats are just taking a shot in the dark. Although it could be Pioli really wanting to get Cassel so he's throwin the two 1st's out there to scare off other teams.

The Intimidator
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Good stuff. I would be ecstatic if the Pats were able to pry a pair of #1's away from a team. I think the Vikings are the most likely to do something like that.

PatsFan2481
02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Trade cassel for larry Johson, all u patriots fans picture Brady, Moss, welker, Larry Johnson that would be Beast

JoeSchroeduh
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Trade cassel for larry Johson, all u patriots fans picture Brady, Moss, welker, Larry Johnson that would be Beast

We don't need more offense...

ERLynx
02-07-2009, 04:12 PM
if you remember, they were "firm" on two first rounders for Branch a couple years ago. They settled for one, as they will do here. Hopefully it happens sooner than later.

JMDTM
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
a lions fan. yes we suck. j/w, would you guys take a future 2nd and our 18th pick in the 3rd. maybe throw in a 5th. would you guys consider that trade?

or a future 3rd as well instead of the 5th

The Intimidator
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
a lions fan. yes we suck. j/w, would you guys take a future 2nd and our 18th pick in the 3rd. maybe throw in a 5th. would you guys consider that trade?

No offense, but that's a joke. The #20 pick would have to be included in a trade, along with something else. I think the #20 pick and your 3rd round pick would get it done. I know that the Lions want as many picks as possible, but Cassel is probably a safer bet than Stafford, even though he has a great deal of potential.

If the Lions trade us the #20 pick, then they can either take Andre Smith at #1 or trade out of the #1 pick to acquire more picks. This would allow them to build up that offensive line. Just think: Cassel at QB, Smith at RB, Johnson as your #1 WR, and a young, talented offensive line to protect the QB. Sounds like a much improved team to me.

JMDTM
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
No offense, but that's a joke. The #20 pick would have to be included in a trade, along with something else. I think the #20 pick and your 3rd round pick would get it done. I know that the Lions want as many picks as possible, but Cassel is probably a safer bet than Stafford, even though he has a great deal of potential.

If the Lions trade us the #20 pick, then they can either take Andre Smith at #1 or trade out of the #1 pick to acquire more picks. This would allow them to build up that offensive line. Just think: Cassel at QB, Smith at RB, Johnson as your #1 WR, and a young, talented offensive line to protect the QB. Sounds like a much improved team to me.

yeah but we dont want a QB in the draft, and we dont need a LT, and i know Backus is a joke, but we cant just ditch him. hes got a big contract still and we are stuck with him for now, so we are focused on holes rather than areas to improve.

The Intimidator
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
yeah but we dont want a QB in the draft, and we dont need a LT, and i know Backus is a joke, but we cant just ditch him. hes got a big contract still and we are stuck with him for now, so we are focused on holes rather than areas to improve.

The Lions don't want a QB in the draft? Where are you hearing that? 99.9 percent of experts have the Lions taking Stafford with the #1 selection. I know that mock drafts aren't always that reliable, but it almost seems obvious that Stafford is the #1 pick, barring a trade of course.

Fade to Black
02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't see the lions parting ways with picks.....I think there's a greater chance of someone like the Bears or Vikings making a play.

Shaiza
02-08-2009, 02:33 AM
If we get Ray Lewis in an offseason signing, I'll literally mail everyone on the Patriots PSD forum hot pockets for the rest of their lives.

The Intimidator
02-08-2009, 02:58 AM
I like hot pockets...

JMDTM
02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
The Lions don't want a QB in the draft? Where are you hearing that? 99.9 percent of experts have the Lions taking Stafford with the #1 selection. I know that mock drafts aren't always that reliable, but it almost seems obvious that Stafford is the #1 pick, barring a trade of course.

almost all of the quote information being put in our forum is saying that we will go with the top defensive player. we dont need a QB number 1 if we cant protect him. we dont want to ruin another young QBs career by doing this. all of the recent posts are sayin we wont take one, and Schwartz said we wont.

also i wanted to add that im from michigan and have followed Brady his whole career, therefore love the Pats! and i hope they can do this in the offseason.
This is what i would like to see them do, without my thinking of the lions.

Trade Matt Cassell for the Detroit Lions 20th overall pick.

FA: Ray Lewis ILB, Nnamdi Asomugha CB.

Draft:

1(#20). Aaron Maybin OLB.
1(#23). Brandon Pettigrew TE.
2(#47). William Moore SS.
2(#58). Devin Moore RB.
3(#89). Andy Levitre RG.

wow. can you say superbowl roster (including what we already have)

torrance
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Assuming, of course, Brady is back and healthy, I would be very surprised if the Pats didn't trade Cassel in the off-season. This is when his value will be the highest and I can't see them making a blunder like the Browns did with Derek Anderson--who they should have traded in the off-season last year, when his value was higher.

Having said that, even if the Patriots only received a 2nd round pick (and maybe a 3rd), I'd be more than satisfied. You can get some great talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Practically anything is a bonus when you consider Cassel was drafted in the 7th round and certainly wasn't expected to play as well as he did.

griff141
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
According to NFL.com's Adam Schefter "some around the league" believe there's a 95% chance that the Patriots will hold onto Matt Cassel in 2009.
There are several factors working against a trade, like Tom Brady's shaky knee and the massive amount of compensation it will take to get Cassel. A trade could definitely happen, but it won't go down for at least a few months.

NFL.com

Rotoworld

griff141
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
A Patriots beat writer recently phoned a Bucs beat writer to gauge his thoughts on Tampa's interest in franchise player Matt Cassel.
We'd guess the Pats beat writer was Mike Reiss (Boston Globe). The Bucs' beat writer, Stephen Holder, admits this is all speculation, but came away from the talk feeling that the New England reporter "definitely" thinks the Pats want to trade Cassel. Beat writer-to-beat writer phone calls don't usually qualify as news, but no one has a better idea of the teams' thinking.

Rotoworld

MVPedroia
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm going to be ****ing pissed if we keep Cassel. I'm perfectly fine with have O'Connell as the backup. I don't see any reason why this kid couldn't be a productive QB behind Brady

bagwell368
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
According to NFL.com's Adam Schefter "some around the league" believe there's a 95% chance that the Patriots will hold onto Matt Cassel in 2009.
There are several factors working against a trade, like Tom Brady's shaky knee and the massive amount of compensation it will take to get Cassel. A trade could definitely happen, but it won't go down for at least a few months.

NFL.com

He's a moron.

The choices are:

trade cassel in a sign and trade

trade cassel for a one year usage

trade brady

trade both

keep both

In that order of liklihood. These "some" have excrement in their ears, brains, and mouths. Idiots.

The Intimidator
02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
He's a moron.

The choices are:

trade cassel in a sign and trade

trade cassel for a one year usage

trade brady

trade both

keep both

In that order of liklihood. These "some" have excrement in their ears, brains, and mouths. Idiots.

I couldn't agree more. The Patriots realize that this guy's stock will never be higher. Why would they hold onto him and then lose him for nothing next offseason, regardless of the fact that Brady may or may not be healthy? IMO there is a 95% chance that we DO trade Cassel, not that we don't. And if he isn't traded, it won't be because they don't want to. It'll be because they don't get an offer they find suitable.

thebusnotjerome
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm going to just throw this out there, but the Chicago Bears are said to be in the mix to get Cassel and if I'm not mistaking, a month ago Brian Urlacher said he wanted out of Chicago. So I will ask you this, would you do a Matt Cassel for Brian Urlacher deal?

Crickr
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm going to just throw this out there, but the Chicago Bears are said to be in the mix to get Cassel and if I'm not mistaking, a month ago Brian Urlacher said he wanted out of Chicago. So I will ask you this, would you do a Matt Cassel for Brian Urlacher deal?

Not sure but I think that Urlacher is a 4 3 player not a 3 4 player. I don't think that would work. I may however be mistaken .

pacofunk64
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Do you guys happen to have a link that writes about his strengths & weaknesses. I thought I watched/read someone stating he has a good, not great, arm & good make all the throws on the field. I for one is a Cassel backer & would love for the Vikes to make a trade for him. I seem to be the only one though & people are telling me his arm is weak. Any help would be great, thanks.

The Intimidator
02-09-2009, 06:27 PM

No, I want a first rounder for Cassel, or possibly more picks as well. Youth is what this team needs, and even though Urlacher is a great LB, I would rather go young.

bagwell368
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Do you guys happen to have a link that writes about his strengths & weaknesses. I thought I watched/read someone stating he has a good, not great, arm & good make all the throws on the field. I for one is a Cassel backer & would love for the Vikes to make a trade for him. I seem to be the only one though & people are telling me his arm is weak. Any help would be great, thanks.

He was hard to watch at times last year. His first sin was short and wobbly. Later he threw a few great ones, but more that were off target, and even long. I think in the entire season he threw ~25 balls past 22.5 yards - and maybe s6 of them were first rate.

There could be reasons, but if I am a GM, the only fit I see for him is in a ball control/short yardage offense - at most the SF offense with nothing over 25, and at the least the Peterson offense.

AuSox
02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I think the Chiefs would probably be the best trading partner for Cassel with Pioli the GM. But the Pats want a first rounder and #3 is to high for BB. A trade for the Chiefs 2010 first rounder could make sense. The Chiefs should improve and move out of the big money in the top 5, while they would still have a good enough pick to get the Patriots a top player. The 2010 draft has a few top players the patriots could be interested in, especially the 2 elite safety's in Mays from USC and Berry from Tennessee.