PDA

View Full Version : Lack of depth is killing us

carruthers32
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Its definatley not our starters fault that we have such a bad record. It is obviously our lack of depth that is killing us. BC needs to add more depth this summer if he wants the team to improve and keep Bosh.

Our past strength is now our biggest weakness.

ramz.n
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Its definatley not our starters fault that we have such a bad record. It is obviously our lack of depth that is killing us. BC needs to add more depth this summer if he wants the team to improve and keep Bosh.

our past strength??maybe if u go back to the VC, T-mac days..but if u talk about the past 2-3 years..rebounding has been our issue..and still today its still rebounding..teams are getting 2nd chance pts ..and the raptors simply can't defend the wing, a bit upgrade there would help this ball club alot.

AFlagRules
02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
There are so many problems with the Raptors, It's not even funny.

It's not just rebounding or lack of depth or the starters or any one thing. It's a bunch of things together bringing the ship down.

posterized
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Raptors play with a lack of intensity. They wear their frustrations on their faces, and look like a depressed squad of high school ballers. I watched a couple Thunder games and though they have a worse record they never stop. Toronto needs that intensity, they need a player to come in and turn it on for them, clearly Bosh is a great player but he lacks that intensity to dig HIS team out of the ditch that they have landed themselves in. This season is officially a write off. Either make a trade and make a desperate push for that final spot(after all it is the east) or wait until the summer and see what happens. I dont see Bosh in a Raps uni much longer, sadly.

ramz.n
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
well its obviously not good..when u have Ukic..new to the league..solomon..a guy who was ok overseas....moon..a street ball player..joey g..guy with low bball iq..voshkul..who just plays physical...hump who isnt consistent your going to expect an amazing bunch..kinda like misfits.

dtmagnet
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes the bench is weak, rebounding is weak. The reasons being we have 20 mil tied up in JO, and we have no real rebounders on the team. Rebounding isn't always something you can teach, its just a talent that some players are good at. Hopefully we can strengthen the bench and bring in one or two really good rebounding players in the offseason.

HoopsMachine
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Poor rebounding is a function of a poor defensive team. It's hard to get into position to rebound when bigs are always having to come off and provide help defense or scramble out to the perimeter to chase the shooter off the 3pt line. A big part of rebounding is boxing out, but it's harder to do this when you have to leave your man to help out on D. When you limit penetration and force teams to shoot over the top your defense, players will be in position to box out and the rebounding will improve.

Kaptain Kanada
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Our starters aren't hurting us?????

Does that include Parker/Moon/Graham in the 2 and 3????

I'd say that is hurting us a hell of a lot.

Bricklayer
02-06-2009, 12:17 AM
To be fair, for the most part we asked for this. If you check last years threads after we lost to Orlando, people said we needed to trade some of our depth for help in the starting line-up. This wasn't just a few people, it was the concencus. (including me)

Unfortunately the plan doesn't always work the way it was supposed to. What kills me is that everyone could see we needed a better back -up point guard but B.C failed to pull the trigger. Nelson goes down with an injury in Orlando....2 days later they make a move for a point guard. Why was Colangelo so reluctant to fix a relatively simple problem?

Bob_at_york
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
To be fair, for the most part we asked for this. If you check last years threads after we lost to Orlando, people said we needed to trade some of our depth for help in the starting line-up. This wasn't just a few people, it was the concencus. (including me)

Unfortunately the plan doesn't always work the way it was supposed to. What kills me is that everyone could see we needed a better back -up point guard but B.C failed to pull the trigger. Nelson goes down with an injury in Orlando....2 days later they make a move for a point guard. Why was Colangelo so reluctant to fix a relatively simple problem?

One way the plan didn't work... I think a lot of us assumed that the team was going to go over the cap and they didn't. If they had used the MLE and such then they would have had more depth.

Gup
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
TJ Ford where are you? haha

Big Game Son
02-06-2009, 01:11 AM

Respect your opinion but I don't think thats true at all. Our starting 5 is garbage. Jamario and Parker are NOT likely starters on any other NBA team. Our depth would be good if we had starters, which we dont.

B2theRY
02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
raps lack a killer instinct.
raps lack a back up PG
I like parker there and it should remain that way.

HoopsDrive
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh... this is not the only thing that is killing the Raptors. This team has many flaws, most eye-popping as of now: wing defense.

LD V2.0
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM

It all comes back to TJ Ford. When he started Jose Calderon came off the bench and hid weaknesses on the bench. When Jose Calderon started TJ Ford came off the bench and hid weaknesses on the bench. When TJ was moved nothing was done to adequately compensate for it. This team has no second unit floor general and so Colangelo cannot get away with issues his teams had in the past on the bench.

Frank Costanza
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
i miss the days when in the post game show wed highlight our bench taking the other benches to school , we did have to give up some to get some but it clearly didnt work , agree with all those who say a shake up is needed at the wing, what i really really miss from that magical 47 win season where we won the divison after starting 2-8 was the look in the players eyes when they were fighting to get out of a hole, the second this yrs squad blows a couple points giving the other team a run they panic sulk and watch the team lose in the most dramatic of way night after night, did that team have more talent yes, but no one can excuse the way these guys have been playing, with no heart no determination, bright spots so far have been bargs joey and JO of late, frank thinks we can still make a late run but it starts with tonight or its over

bartron_44
02-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I said this is another thread, but I say we should let Jose go back to running the second unit...at least for now until his leg is 100%..

right now with the way they are playing, I would start:

Parker
Graham
Bosh
Barg
O'neal

And let jose be the floor general of the second unit and play less minutes on his obviously still injured leg. If we want to make a push to get back into it I say we need to ride these guys all 35+ minutes if they can take it. start playing playoff type rotations of our 7 or 8 top players (unless absolutely necassry like people fouling out etc).

mavwar53
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
To address many problems your team has I think this is a great trade

Tor gets: Jackson Crawford and Wright

GS: Gets: Amare, Tucker

Pheonix gets: Bosh and Humphries

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=165~378~3242~1727~3238~1977~24 33&teams=28~28~28~9~9~21~21&te=&cash=

or maybe just bosh to GS and maybe even throw in belinelli or azibuikie

You get depth and address your wing problems as well as letting bargnani develop and maybe you could get haslem and marion for oneal and moon or solomon.

Bob_at_york
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I hate Crawford's game.

mavwar53
02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Ehh at least you would have someone that can play the point since calderon is injured all the time, I know it isn't pretty but it get you depth and player that your team needs (wing players) and a decent PF that could really become something.

ramz.n
02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
To address many problems your team has I think this is a great trade

Tor gets: Jackson Crawford and Wright

GS: Gets: Amare, Tucker

Pheonix gets: Bosh and Humphries

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=165~378~3242~1727~3238~1977~24 33&teams=28~28~28~9~9~21~21&te=&cash=

or maybe just bosh to GS and maybe even throw in belinelli or azibuikie

You get depth and address your wing problems as well as letting bargnani develop and maybe you could get haslem and marion for oneal and moon or solomon.

i don't see how this would be a good trade for the Raptors, Jackson is a great player but he needs his touches in order to be effective..Crawford plays no defense and Wright is a good bench player..so let me get this straight...we trade a cornerstone player and dont get back any or borderline allstar players??..if raptors want to be a part w than Biedrins has to be a part of the deal in order for the raptors..warriors and suns to agree in any deal heres a proposal

Toronto Gets:
Jackson
Biedrins
Belinelli

Phoenix gets:
Bosh
Humphries

GS gets:
Stoudemire
whoever else to make it work.