PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant could be with the Raptors this summer

alutips_89
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31841.aspx

He has said that he'd like to remain with the Lakers, but wants to test the open market. This is why I think we should definitely trade JO for Marion, then let marion go this summer, and go all in on Kobe. If we signed Kobe, Bosh would be so happy and perform tons better. I'd think he'd want to stay here if we signed Kobe as we would be instant contenders with Kobe and Bosh. Ideas??

LD V2.0
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I think that's a pipe dream but most definitely worth trying.

aman_13
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Its not gonna happen.

Bob_at_york
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think it is possible for us to have enough cap space to sign him and if we did, I don't think he would come here.

deaner
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Its not gonna happen.

Kobe? Is this you?... I'm always amazed at how guys can talk out of their *** with such confidence.

LanceUpperCut
02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I like the postive thinking.

Kaptain Kanada
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
haha.. that would be sweet... don't see it happening though.

B2theRY
to sign kobe we'd have to dump JO and BOSh to afford kobe,

DaoudS
lol yeah, and mandy moore will give me a tug job on the go bus.

king4day
It would certainly be great for basketball if he did.

LD V2.0
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Kobe? Is this you?... I'm always amazed at how guys can talk out of their *** with such confidence.

Hmmm, he was probably basing his opinion on the fact that Raptors organization have sucked royally for almost its entire life, this season included.

deaner
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Instant Atlantic divison rivalry.

Jose
Kobe
Joey
Bosh
Bargnani

Wow.. If BC could talk Kobe into it... MLSE would be crazy not to spend the tax.

Absolsute perfect team except not proven rebounding. But I don't think rebounding would be terrible.

DaoudS
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
kobe has an ideal rebuilding process happening in LA. They have a star in Pau and a rising player in Bynum. It is just too bad for them that he is always injured during critical stretches.

Jonathan2323
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM

:laugh2:

Canadian hemi
02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Hahaha...all but a dream, and nothing more

Musical Tempo
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
For all you people you say it definitely wont happen this post is for you.

If Raptors/Fans are able to dish our more money at Kobe then any other team Kobe will become a Raptor. We already know he is money hungry, Im pretty sure he was the one saying if Italy paid him $50 million he would go there in a minutes.

So dont sleep on Kobe if the price is right.

_Sn1P3r_
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
That would be great, but I too don't see it happening. We would be contenders if that were to happen.

deaner
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
cue the rocky theme...

Raps08-09 Champ
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I think he'd like to stay on a good team

RapToronto95
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I think he'd like to stay on a good team

Well we'd be a great team if he came to the raptors :pray:

LD V2.0
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Ha, ha, any team would. The real question would be why? Why would he want to come play for a franchise with a pathetic history?

RapToronto95
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
So he can make history for the Raptors :pray:

lol, but still i'd rather stay in California in the warm warm weather, rather than the -28 we had today in toronto.

jrice9
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
He would be considered a legend if he took us to a championship. Bosh would be his best teamate since Shaq, calderon would allow him to not work as hard on offense so he can be even better on defense and bargnani would stretch the floor and be basically his bynum. Kobe on the raptors + our draft pick= kobe on the lakers imo at least

LD V2.0
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
He already is going to be considered a legend and he has a greater chance to add to his legacy by going to a good ball club or staying where he is.

Macedonian
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Sweet...
Just imagine, Will Solomon for Kobe...
And JO for Marion!

Jose Calderon
Kobe Bryant
Shawn Marion
Chris Bosh
Andrea Bargnani

viveet
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
OMG if this were to happen, the raps would be one the toughest teams in the NBA. Teaming up with Jose Calderon, Chris Bosh, Il Mago and Joey G.....crazy lineup....one can only dream...he would put Toronto back on the map....like Vince...If only BC could convince him to come here...hey...maybe Bosh talks to him in the offseason...they seem like good friends...I would go all out for him...PAY HIM TOP DOLLAR

JermanJaysFan
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet...
Just imagine, Will Solomon for Kobe...
And JO for Marion!

Jose Calderon
Kobe Bryant
Shawn Marion
Chris Bosh
Andrea Bargnani

Impossible money-wise. The only way it could work is a) a sign-and-trade with JO's contract to b)trading JO for Marion, letting Marion expire and signing Kobe.

deaner
02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Impossible money-wise. The only way it could work is a) a sign-and-trade with JO's contract to b)trading JO for Marion, letting Marion expire and signing Kobe.

If it was remotely possible that Kobe would come... there's better trades than Marion & Banks.... why would we want Banks on the books? The better long term option would be a full expiring like AI or Starbury wouldn't it? If that's the case I would be trying to deal Kapono and JO to detroit or NY. If a deal went down with NY we could get Lee (or a pick) back and sign him if things didn't work out with Kobe. The difference in not taking Banks and getting rid of Kapono would be an extra 10 Million off our books to make a run at Kobe.

BluejaysFan08
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
As if we had that much money?

jrice9
02-05-2009, 07:08 PM
This is possible money wise your wrong just not the way he said it. Look marion expires raptors sign kobe to the max and are at the cap and then use bird years to resign marion

JermanJaysFan
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
This is possible money wise your wrong just not the way he said it. Look marion expires raptors sign kobe to the max and are at the cap and then use bird years to resign marion

I was under the impression (since he was suggesting a TRADE for Kobe and a TRADE for Marion), that the acquisition should happen this year, because trading in the offseason for two FAs doesn't make much sense. In that case, which I am sure is what he meant, it would be impossible because Solomon's and Kobe's contracts don't nearly match, and the Raptors would be wayyy over the cap if taking on both Marion and Kobe's contract.

WaterBoy24
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
This thread is laughable...like joey graham...common ppl..the guy is playing for a contract and there out of the playoffs...no pressure..
I see someone put joey as our starting sf...omg..just stop...
And as for Kobe...not gonna happend..NEVER.....his a LAKER for Life...:mad:

posterized
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM

LMAO.....Yeah Kobe's never going to throw on a Raps Jersey. And for those who think he will I admire your imagination.:clap:

Nadhi1
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
city news dont kno nothing hes not gonna come.

SammyJ
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Not gonna happen....He is the face of the NBA. He won't get all the hype, ad contracts in Tdat. He won't play for some damm rookie coach that raps will sign (looking at the coach history raps had). I'd take my odds of wining 649 jackpot over this.

ramz.n
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
LMAO.....Yeah Kobe's never going to throw on a Raps Jersey. And for those who think he will I admire your imagination.:clap:

maybe we can get Cabbie to sweet talk Kobe like he always does :p

dtmagnet
02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
maybe we can get Cabbie to sweet talk Kobe like he always does :p

Yeah cus Kobe's a big fan of Cabbie :D

thomas1
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31841.aspx

He has said that he'd like to remain with the Lakers, but wants to test the open market. This is why I think we should definitely trade JO for Marion, then let marion go this summer, and go all in on Kobe. If we signed Kobe, Bosh would be so happy and perform tons better. I'd think he'd want to stay here if we signed Kobe as we would be instant contenders with Kobe and Bosh. Ideas??

Hey forget about those wankers who always make fun of fresh, original ideas. Do you think we could sign Pau Gasol too.:rolleyes:

Haran
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
i doubt kobe will ever come here, but i dont doubt LBJ coming to Toronto. If Bosh wasn't such a pansy at heart, we could get LBJ here, because LBJ and bosh are like best friends IRL. This will be more plausible of LBJ wins this year and loses next year in semis. He would want to carry Toronto franchise.

dgilbert
02-05-2009, 10:34 PM
The day I see an athlete walk away from 20+ million, will be a day I'm shocked. The only reason Kobe would opt out is to get even more money from the lakers. It's like this whole 2010 thing, mark my words out of the top tier guys I guarantee they almost to a man re-sign with there teams. With the collective agreement due to end in 2011 everyone of these max guys is gonna do the smart thing and take the extra year, and 20-30 million to stay right were they are, and all these teams that haved cleared all this space will be left paying non max guys, max contracts.

lakersrock
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Kobe would have to leave 24.8M on the table to opt out. I don't see that happening. He'll take that huge chunk and then sign around a 5 year deal and retire a Laker.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
ya i agree with the laker fan

LanceUpperCut
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Ha, ha, any team would. The real question would be why? Why would he want to come play for a franchise with a pathetic history?

Come on man it's not that pethedic really expansion team is oviously going to be bad for a good 4 to 5 years then we had a pretty good run and then not not and ten a run.It's really been average but not horrible

LanceUpperCut
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM
This just i Stephen A Smith is reporting A strait up trade Kobe and cash for Moon.

tkshy
02-06-2009, 12:47 AM
First off let me say the chances are 1 in 100000000000000000000000000.

For argument sake here is why he would come.
1.He would truly be an international star with out going to far from the US.
2.He and Bosh would play off each other very well since Bosh is a #2 guy.
3.Having a true pass first point guard would make his life easier.
4.He speaks Italian and would be a great way for him to practise speaking with Bargs.
5.BC also Italian...Kobe loves his Italians.

The down side. It is far more likely the Lakers trade Odom and make space to sign CB4 in 2010. Kobe, Gasol, Bosh...Bynum off the bench perhaps...sick.

Gup
02-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Wake me if this comes true

lorenz00
02-06-2009, 01:08 AM
dream on buddy haha

greg_ory_2005
02-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Never will this happen.

mike_noodles
02-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Why not take a run at him? Calderon, Bargs, Bosh and Kobe could easily get us into the Eastern Conference finals.

I could see Kobe coming to the east to get more heads up matches with the C's and Cavs.

HoopsDrive
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
He didn't say anything that could possibly mean him coming to TO and fans already take what he said as response to some questions as signs that he could come to TO. He only refused to give any answer to the question of him possibly coming to TO so as not to stir up any rumors AND here we are, stirring up rumors.

I don't see him coming to TO for a championship because, frankly, a Lakers team with Kobe >>> a Raptors team with Kobe. They have a more capable bench, players that can actually defend the perimeter AND clog the lane (remember we can't sign Kobe without giving up JO so our inside defense with Kobe on our team would be royally sucking). Gasol and Bosh, similar players only Gasol is a better defender and low post scorer and Bosh can operate more from the outside and score more points. Bynum is a better C than Bargnani. Odom is a much better SF than any one we can throw in there on the court. Only overall upgrade he gets from Raps is at starting PG where Calderon is better than an aged Fisher but not on defense. Oh, and defense wins championships and sadly, even with Kobe in our team, the team would still be bad on defense.

The only way I can... see this happening is if we offer an absurd amount of cash for his years. What's max we can offer him if he decides to test the market and we dump JO's contract for a bunch of expirings? 20-30 million? He already earns 21 million dollars. We can theoretically offer him more than 30 million but at what cost? Your whole bench? You still have to resign Parker and if we sign Kobe we will have very little salary cap available to sign anything other than our own free agents (Moon, Voshkul and... Solomon) assuming they accept something similar to their contract right now (less than 1 million each).

LD V2.0
02-06-2009, 11:35 AM

LOL, Mace was being sarcastic. He does that form time to time. ;)

Why not take a run at him? Calderon, Bargs, Bosh and Kobe could easily get us into the Eastern Conference finals.

I could see Kobe coming to the east to get more heads up matches with the C's and Cavs.

I'm sure Colangelo will is he clears Jermaine O'Neal contract.

RapsJunkie
02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
First off let me say the chances are 1 in 100000000000000000000000000.
For argument sake here is why he would come.
1.He would truly be an international star with out going to far from the US.
2.He and Bosh would play off each other very well since Bosh is a #2 guy.
3.Having a true pass first point guard would make his life easier.
4.He speaks Italian and would be a great way for him to practise speaking with Bargs.
5.BC also Italian...Kobe loves his Italians.

The down side. It is far more likely the Lakers trade Odom and make space to sign CB4 in 2010. Kobe, Gasol, Bosh...Bynum off the bench perhaps...sick.

You forgot a bunch of zero's dude

More shats!
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
If he sign with us it would be one of the shoking moments in NBA history and it would take the franchise to a whole new level and could break the preception tha American superstars dont want to play here.I would love to have him on a Raps jersey but i dont see it happening.

aman_13
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

I talk with such confidence because it doesn't make sense at all for Kobe to leave LA where he could be winning multiple rings before he ends his career. Do you honestly think the Lakers are going let the best player in the game walk away? It doesn't take sources to figure that out.

La11
02-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Is this from Nba live 2009? I bet it is

rapswin98
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
lol what a dream

deaner
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I talk with such confidence because it doesn't make sense at all for Kobe to leave LA where he could be winning multiple rings before he ends his career. Do you honestly think the Lakers are going let the best player in the game walk away? It doesn't take sources to figure that out.

it's more about economics than you care to realize. Tell me this, do the Lakers have an open checkbook for tax dollars if they need it? I don't know the answer to that. I personally think the raptors have more dollars to offer Kobe than LA does...

You know that Kobe would walk from not only the Lakers but the entire NBA for money right...

Kobe also was very impressed with Joey last game... add Bosh, Jose, Bargs to a starting 5 and you do have a contender in that starting group... yes the bench is not as deep as LA...

I'm not saying it will happen... trust me... I just don't think there's as many zeros in the odds as some have stated here... and you blindly stated the odds were nill.

deaner
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
aman_13

just do me a favor and look at their books... everyone is signed next year but Odom, Mihm, Ariza... you would think 2 of the 3 they will want to keep and will need to substantially step up to the plate for Ariza. Bynum takes another 10 million next year... even if you let Mihm walk... you are still talking about 20 million extra on their books next year... that's significant. The raps on the other hand could conceivably clear 30 million or more...

mike_noodles
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
He didn't say anything that could possibly mean him coming to TO and fans already take what he said as response to some questions as signs that he could come to TO. He only refused to give any answer to the question of him possibly coming to TO so as not to stir up any rumors AND here we are, stirring up rumors.

I didn't say he was coming, and I don't think anyone really is, but you have to believe that IF Kobe doesn't re-sign with LA that EVERY GM that has enough cap room would take a run at the best player in the league, if not your GM isn't doing his job.

shep33
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
LA is gonna be a contender for years with Bynum, Gasol, and Kobe. I agree that we have the money to get him... but c'mon... would you rather play infront of Tie Domi or Jack Nicholson?

Storch
02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
There is no way that kobe would leave the lakers. As proven in the past, the lakers organization would trade away ALL of ther players before they would let kobe go.

deaner
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
There is no way that kobe would leave the lakers. As proven in the past, the lakers organization would trade away ALL of ther players before they would let kobe go.

Yes, but even that is not a lock down argument... if Kobe wanted to go... he could. A lot is riding on this years post season run I would think.

HoopsDrive
02-07-2009, 02:54 AM
I didn't say he was coming, and I don't think anyone really is, but you have to believe that IF Kobe doesn't re-sign with LA that EVERY GM that has enough cap room would take a run at the best player in the league, if not your GM isn't doing his job.

What's the point of this thread then... the whole idea surrounding this... "rumor" is that Kobe has somehow shown signs that he wants to play with the Raps next season. He hasn't, all he did was refuse to answer the question about possibly playing with the Raps next season. From the live interview there's absolutely no signs that he's hinting a possible move to TO.

This thread's meaning is just as same if I put one that had an interview with AI, Sheed or Bibby and had a reporter asking each of them if there was any chance of them playing with the Raps next season.

And the title of this thread: Kobe could be with the Raps this summer? He could be with a LOT of teams this summer. Hey, the Hawks and Pistons have a bunch of salaries coming off the books after this season so why not claim that Kobe could be with them as well?

Misleading title and a "rumor" that has almost completely 0 claim validity. And as I've already pointed out, IF this miracle happens (oh and there are a lot of IFs and ORs in here), if Kobe decides to sign with the Raps for a whopping 35+ million salary, that leaves us extremely handicapped. In short, we are going to have an even thinner bench than what we have right now... not to forget that Kobe is NOT going to solve either our rebounding or overall defensive problems. He's an incredible scorer and clutch player but he's not going to have the same effect as KG coming to Boston did and changing the whole defensive philosophy of the team.

mike_noodles
02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
What's the point of this thread then... the whole idea surrounding this... "rumor" is that Kobe has somehow shown signs that he wants to play with the Raps next season. He hasn't, all he did was refuse to answer the question about possibly playing with the Raps next season. From the live interview there's absolutely no signs that he's hinting a possible move to TO.

This thread's meaning is just as same if I put one that had an interview with AI, Sheed or Bibby and had a reporter asking each of them if there was any chance of them playing with the Raps next season.

And the title of this thread: Kobe could be with the Raps this summer? He could be with a LOT of teams this summer. Hey, the Hawks and Pistons have a bunch of salaries coming off the books after this season so why not claim that Kobe could be with them as well?

Misleading title and a "rumor" that has almost completely 0 claim validity. And as I've already pointed out, IF this miracle happens (oh and there are a lot of IFs and ORs in here), if Kobe decides to sign with the Raps for a whopping 35+ million salary, that leaves us extremely handicapped. In short, we are going to have an even thinner bench than what we have right now... not to forget that Kobe is NOT going to solve either our rebounding or overall defensive problems. He's an incredible scorer and clutch player but he's not going to have the same effect as KG coming to Boston did and changing the whole defensive philosophy of the team.

I didn't start the thread. Sheed, AI and Bibby aren't Kobe. And like I said before, IF you have the cap room to afford Kobe and don't take a run at him, you shouldn't be a GM in the NBA!

mike_noodles
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
You know that Kobe would walk from not only the Lakers but the entire NBA for money right...

Don't be surprised if he gets a huge offer from Europe, most likely an Italian team since he did spend alot of time there growing up. And since pro atheletes don't income tax there like they do here, the dollars might be worth it for him to go there. I'm not saying he will leave the best league in the world, but it is a real possibility.

HoopsDrive
02-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I didn't start the thread. Sheed, AI and Bibby aren't Kobe. And like I said before, IF you have the cap room to afford Kobe and don't take a run at him, you shouldn't be a GM in the NBA!

I wasn't firing at you only, more to the fans that think that through this interview that the chances of Kobe coming to the Raps has suddenly increased or something and that he has given some hints that he will be leaving the Lakers and coming to TO this summer. The interview from the OP didn't show any signs regarding the main claim of this rumor.

You'd sacrifice your whole bench for Kobe Bryant? He's an extremely talented player and arguably the best in the league but he ALONE is not going to solve our most glaring problems: overall defense and rebounding (both of which will become extremely weakened because we HAVE to give up JO to even make a run at Kobe). Then comes the main problem: once we sign him for an absurd amount of cash (say 32 million) that leaves us handicapped. There are players in our team that become free agents this summer: AP, Moon, Voshkul and Solomon. They too, seek lucrative deals this summer, don't think that they will just sacrifice half their salary only to have Kobe in their team. And if you thought that we couldn't get any worse than Solomon and Voshkul just wait until our available cap to sign role players is around 2-3 million after the signing of Kobe.