PDA

View Full Version : Who will step up?

mattd24
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
We know Granderson, Magglio, Cabrera and Guillen will have solid years...but who will surprise? What young player do you see having the biggest impact on this team this year?

Nikolishin
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Joel Zumaya

drewstantontime
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree, Zumaya will have a rebound year and believe it or not, now that Rodney isnt our closer now I think he will come back with a solid year. And Brandon Lyon and Bonderman

Bondomania
02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
hahah, i like the optimism. I think Zoom will need to spend a season in Toledo to be quite honest. He needs to learn to control his stuff, as well as not rely on just his fastball to blow people away. He needs to work on his changeup and curveball and learn to control them better.

I think the youngster to look out for will be Jeff Larish. I think if Inge struggles at the plate early, he could find himself lossing playing time to Larish to find out if Larish can be a guy that can play everyday at 3B.

I think we need pitchers to step up the most. We know we have an offense that can mash most nights of the week. I think that the BP will have to stepup too. I expect Dolsi to make decent strides this year and become a solid middle-relief guy. I think Fien could be also be another youngster that contributes. He has an aggressive mentality and he throws strikes. I think if Zoom has to go to Toledo or start the season in extended spring training then Fien could step in and do a decent job. I also expect Lyon to have a good year with Everett and Inge guarding the left side of the infield. They will play just as big of a role with the 9th as Lyon due to Lyon's heavy sinkerball.

mark1125
02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
hahah, i like the optimism. I think Zoom will need to spend a season in Toledo to be quite honest. He needs to learn to control his stuff, as well as not rely on just his fastball to blow people away. He needs to work on his changeup and curveball and learn to control them better.

I think the youngster to look out for will be Jeff Larish. I think if Inge struggles at the plate early, he could find himself lossing playing time to Larish to find out if Larish can be a guy that can play everyday at 3B.
I think we need pitchers to step up the most. We know we have an offense that can mash most nights of the week. I think that the BP will have to stepup too. I expect Dolsi to make decent strides this year and become a solid middle-relief guy. I think Fien could be also be another youngster that contributes. He has an aggressive mentality and he throws strikes. I think if Zoom has to go to Toledo or start the season in extended spring training then Fien could step in and do a decent job. I also expect Lyon to have a good year with Everett and Inge guarding the left side of the infield. They will play just as big of a role with the 9th as Lyon due to Lyon's heavy sinkerball.

I was thinking the same. If/when Inge flops, Larish could suprise. I wasn't a big fan of him originally, but he has grown on me.

I can see Bonderman making an impressive comeback as well.

drewstantontime
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking the same. If/when Inge flops, Larish could suprise. I wasn't a big fan of him originally, but he has grown on me.

I can see Bonderman making an impressive comeback as well.

seeing that DD focused on defense this offseason, if inge sucks at the plate but plays 3rd base the way he usually does, i dont think he will lose much playing time. Especially with Cabrera, Ordonez, Granderson, Guillen, polonco, and Sheff in the lineup, inges bat might get more leeway then any other player on the team.

One Nut Kruk
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Alexis Gomez !!!

mattd24
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Guess what folks - Brandon Inge isn't going anywhere...he's not gonna hit .300 but he never has and you can't expect him to...he's a great defensive 3B - remember, he's only played there for part of one season. He's got the best 3B arm in the AL and maybe in baseball.

Larish could definately surprise...I think the one that steps up and has a big year on the pitching staff is Dolsi. He's got a live arm and will be a nice compliment to the bullpen.

dddtfan
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I think both Fien and Ryan Perry could surprise us at the bigs this year.

I could see where Larish and Inge could maybe end up in a Quasi Platoon with Inge still being a defensive replacement at the end of a game on days Larish starts.

But I think in the end, if I had to put safe money down on something, I think it will be a healthy Sheffield in a contract year.

Epic89
02-06-2009, 05:27 PM
In the minors or among the offseason additions, there isn't a single solitary impact player (a la Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Quentin) who gives the team needed spunk and swagger, and this is why the team will not be much better next year.

JackB
02-06-2009, 11:46 PM
There are still a few free agents out there . Its still possible we could get Beimel.Cruz is also unsigned I believe.

Rodney Stuckey
02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Galarga will have a solid seaon many have him flopping

RicoSteel
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Ryan Perry will solidify the back-end of the bullpen. He will make the team right out of spring training.

Rodney Stuckey
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Ryan Perry will solidify the back-end of the bullpen. He will make the team right out of spring training.

+1 lets hope

RicoSteel
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Galarga will have a solid seaon many have him flopping

Agree...13-15 wins