Randall Delgado
Concepcion Rodriguez

Canada:
Scott Diamond
Bryan Dumesnil

Australia:
Phil Stockman
Mathew Kennelly

Now, these are "provisional" rosters. These numbers are likely to go down, as the final rosters are finalized on the 24th of February.

Link:http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090119&content_id=3749724&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

jdiddy24
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Id prefer our stars (JJ, Chipper, McCann, Vaz, and even Campillo) not to participate in these games... I feel McCann would be better off at ST getting to know Vaz, KK, and Lowe more since they are new and continuing to work with JJ.... not to mention I dont like the injury risks and fatigue factors

A_Brave_Pack
01-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but you can't blame these guys on a Nationalistic level.

Country Pride should supersede Team Pride.

An interesting note in this is that Kawakami declined an invitation to pitch for the Japanese team.

With McCann playing in the WBC, I could easily see Ross working almost exclusively with Kawakami during ST, and become his personal catcher during the season. I do not think that is a bad thing at all either. Ross will have more time on his hands than McCann and can brush up on his Japanese, and develop a strong bond with Kawakami.

jdiddy24
01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but you can't blame these guys on a Nationalistic level.

Country Pride should supersede Team Pride.

An interesting note in this is that Kawakami declined an invitation to pitch for the Japanese team.

With McCann playing in the WBC, I could easily see Ross working almost exclusively with Kawakami during ST, and become his personal catcher during the season. I do not think that is a bad thing at all either. Ross will have more time on his hands than McCann and can brush up on his Japanese, and develop a strong bond with Kawakami.

No I cant blame them... I am just saying Id prefer them not... David Ross and KK could be fine together... but what about Lowe and Vaz? They both are new and need to get acclimated with their catcher before the season starts

A_Brave_Pack
01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
That's a very good point. The only thing with Lowe and Vazquez is that they are proven MLB players, who have had to deal with catching changes before. You are right though, I'd much prefer to see McCann work with all of our pitchers.

Drucifer
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Acosta, Manny PAN
Blanco, Gregor VEN
Camarena, Jose PAN
Campillo, Jorge MEX
Castro, Yeliar PAN
Delgado, Dimaster PAN
Delgado, Randall PAN
Diamond, Scott CAN
Dumesnil, Bryan CAN
Jones, Chipper USA
Jurrjens, Jair NED
Kennelly, Mathew AUS
McCann, Brian USA
Rodriguez, Concepcion PAN
Stockman, Phil AUS
Vazquez, Javier PUR

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/wbc_09/roster.jsp?sort=mlbclub

CrippledRam
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
At least we aren't the Cubs. Their ticking timebomb Rich Harden is pitching.

rtgthree
01-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't worry about our hitters, but I do worry about the pitchers, particularly some of the younger arms like Jurrjens, Diamond and the Delgado boys (who are both just 18). The extra innings can really hurt them, especially since they haven't had spring training to get their arms loose. However, I am sure that the organization gave all those guys the A-OK to play, and I am sure the team doesn't give approval lightly.

jdiddy24
01-20-2009, 04:31 AM
At least we aren't the Cubs. Their ticking timebomb Rich Harden is pitching.

I dont see him making it a full season... let alone extra PT in the WBC

BravoFan3736
01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
I dont see him making it a full season... let alone extra PT in the WBC

Yeah you figure that his elbow is a ticking time bomb about to explode midway to the 2nd half of the season....

jdiddy24
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah you figure that his elbow is a ticking time bomb about to explode midway to the 2nd half of the season....

....or his shoulder or forearm or whatever...

... that being said... Chipper Jones played 110 games in the season of the first WBC and that was the 2nd fewest of his career... was it because of the WBC? I could only speculate... but it begs the question, why not do it after the MLB season so there is still an offseason to rest before the real games begin?

I just really dont like the thought of possibly losing a star to injury that could cost a team a shot at the playoffs.... Imagine MVP of their respective teams.... If Chipper, Johan, Hanley, etc got injured and had to miss significant time during the season?.... their respective teams would suffer greatly. I wish it would be more like the olympics and have college and minor leaguers play and field an exciting team with young players

My 2009 WBC Dream Team (dont know if all are American):
C Matt Wieters
1B Lars Anderson
2B Elvis Andrus
SS Mike Moustakas
3B Josh Vitters
LF Matt Laporta
CF Jorden Shafer
RF Jason Heyward

BN Buster Posey
BN Eric Hosmer
BN Tim Beckham
BN Colby Rasmus

SP Tommy Hanson
SP Michael Bowden
SP Nick Adenhart
SP Wade Davis
CL Chris Tillman

BRAVE KID
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
we can only hope our players don't get hurt, I am still a believer in karma and since we got killed last year with all kinds of injuries, I don't think we will get punished again. And anyway it seems we have developed more of a humble (or pessimistic) view in here so we are not all cocky like last year (at least I was) so that should help...I hope.

Jacob10
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Really don't like that we have so many players in this.

wolfman2
01-20-2009, 02:15 PM
i don't want to see Chipper play, as he has gotten older, he has become more prone to injury, lets not waste his games on this

rtgthree
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
....or his shoulder or forearm or whatever...

... that being said... Chipper Jones played 110 games in the season of the first WBC and that was the 2nd fewest of his career... was it because of the WBC? I could only speculate... but it begs the question, why not do it after the MLB season so there is still an offseason to rest before the real games begin?

I just really dont like the thought of possibly losing a star to injury that could cost a team a shot at the playoffs.... Imagine MVP of their respective teams.... If Chipper, Johan, Hanley, etc got injured and had to miss significant time during the season?.... their respective teams would suffer greatly. I wish it would be more like the olympics and have college and minor leaguers play and field an exciting team with young players

Playing the WBC with minor leaguers would defeat the entire purpose of playing. The intent is to represent the best possible talent from each country, and to make money. Most baseball fans have never heard of all but maybe one of the guys you mentioned, so no one would watch a minor-league WBC.

If a team is worried about losing its star player(s) to injury, the team can simply tell the player not to play. If the player is worried about missing time, he can choose not to participate. The Braves could block Jones from playing if they were fearful for his health.

Also, keep in mind that these rosters are merely provisional. The teams have yet to be narrowed down to their final form. Jair Jurrjens is reportedly planning to decline the invitation to play. Guys like Randall and Dimaster Delgado probably aren't all that likely to make the Panamanian team. I'm not denying the risks of playing, but I do feel confident that player and team alike have assessed those risks beforehand.

GLASSMAN
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
The Braves will be well represented in the WBC but there is some concern about our guys missing substantial ST time.

Comments!?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/04/braves_chipper_usa.html

hawksd911
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
we already have threads about that.

GLASSMAN
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Looked before I posted but couldn't find one. Delete if necessary.

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Jurrjens opts not to pitch in Classic
Netherlands native forgoes opportunity to prepare for season

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Coming off the busiest season of his young professional career, Jair Jurrjens has decided to decline the opportunity to pitch for The Netherlands in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
Jurrjens never seemed fully committed to pitch in the Classic, and his decision was made when the Braves told him that they would want him to return to Spring Training after making his first-round start for The Netherlands in Puerto Rico.

"I don't want to just go there for one game and come back," said Jurrjens, who completed a professional career-high 188 innings last year. "If I go, I want to go and spend the time there. The Classic is going to come back anyway. I've got to think about my future before fun."

Had Jurrjens opted to pitch for The Netherlands, there's a chance he might have been pitted against Puerto Rico's Javier Vazquez, who is the only candidate for Atlanta's starting rotation who has committed to pitch in this year's Classic.

Jorge Campillo hasn't decided whether he'll pitch for Mexico, and when he signed in January, Kenshin Kawakami said that he wouldn't be pitching for Japan.

"If [Jurrjens] had gone, it wouldn't have been much time probably," said Braves manager Bobby Cox, noting that The Netherlands isn't expected to advance to the second round. "But it's an honor to play for your country. If they wish to, it's fine with us."

Because he's competing in the Classic, Chipper Jones was given permission to participate when the Braves held their first workout of the season for pitchers and catchers on Sunday morning at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex.

Jones and All-Star catcher Brian McCann are the only Braves players who will compete for the United States team. If Team USA advances to the finals on March 22, McCann would be away from camp for three weeks.

With three new pitchers (Derek Lowe, Vazquez and Kawakami) in his rotation, Cox isn't excited about the fact that McCann's extended absence will erase the opportunity for him to gain a greater comfort level with these new hurlers.

The Braves will play five Grapefruit League games before McCann leaves on March 1 to prepare for a mini-camp with the U.S. team in Clearwater, Fla.

"I'd hate to see him be gone for three weeks, but it will work," Cox said. "We'll get him in to catch them. We've got three new starters in there and possibly four. You have to get a feel for what they like to throw, locations and what they're thinking. It will be fine. It will work out." braves.com

While I am all for representing your country, this is good news for the braves. Need JJ throughout spring training.

rtgthree
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
braves.com

While I am all for representing your country, this is good news for the braves. Need JJ throughout spring training.

I think it's less that they need him for spring training than that it just wouldn't be smart to put extra innings on a 23-year-old arm that clearly wore out at the end of last season. He doesn't need the extra work. I'll bet we can thank Scott Boras for helping to convince the young hurler that there's no money involved in the WBC, but if he gets hurt, the potential cost is enormous.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Hopefully Mac won't have to do all the heavy lifting. I'd like to see him do well but not at the expense of his health. I've always thought this to be an ill conceived venue. More of a post season pro bowl type affair IMO.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I kinda agree with you Glassman, but ever since the miracle on ice in 1980 there has been a renewed patriotism behind being the best at a sport. Baseball is our pastime and I think we need to show the world who is the best, so we send the best. I agree the players should not go all out and get hurt but I think this game is far more than a pro-bowl type exhibition game, I think its pride. The phils and mets could loose players just as easily so I think everyone has to be careful.... well maybe except for the aforementioned teams...:up:

USA USA USA:rock::flag:

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I share your zeal for country and would like to be able to prove our ability to defeat the rest of the world's best. I guess I'm not over last years onslaught of injuries and the unending frustration of last years season. Mac's my guy and it would be difficult to overcome an injury especially if it came preseason and lasted any length of time. It's a great honor for Mac to be considered but he's fast becoming the linchpin of our offense. Without him it would be another tough year.
:9/11:

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
wait do pitchers hit or is it a dh rule?

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
DH as far as I can remember. The WBC has some 'interesting' rules. I kind of am a fan of their extra-inning, extra-runners rule. Unique, if nothing else.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Yea it is. because I read the article at the top of the post and it says Chipper and Wright will be splitting DH duties, IMO since Wright is the Gold Glover "Ahem" let him play 3rd and have Chipper Dh exclusively.

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 05:51 PM
^^^ That's not a bad idea either. Though, I'd almost hope that McCann does the DHing, though I do not think the United States has another 'good' catcher on their roster, do they?

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
^^^ That's not a bad idea either. Though, I'd almost hope that McCann does the DHing, though I do not think the United States has another 'good' catcher on their roster, do they?

They have 3 other catchers AJ from the sox, Ianetta from the Rockies and Schnider from the Muts.

As far as good maybe Ianetta. 18 homers last year .264 clip .390 OBP.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Maybe Davey Johnson will take some revenge on the Mets and play Wright and Schneider every inning. They say its best served cold. (Like 18+ years cold) LOL

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh...If We could only be so lucky:cheers: