PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Corner Outfielders

burgh_fan66
02-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Im combining left and right field as the players are going to be basically the same. I need to this a little differently. First Ill talk about potential starters and then Ill mention some others who may see playing time and finally Ill talk about a couple of prospects.

Potential Starters: Steve Pearce, Brandon Moss, Eric Hinske, Nyjer Morgan

Pearce was discussed at 1st Base so ill just briefly mention him. He is a right handed power hitter whose natural position is 1st base. He was moved to the putfield in an atempt to get more at bats. His range is limited, so he is only suited for RF in PNC park. He has little speed and as stated his defense is limited but he does a good job making the plays he should. He will be given every chance to start in the outfield because of his power potential, if Adam LaRoche struggles early he could also see time at 1st.

Morgan will be discussed more at center fielders, his natural position. Morgan plays excellent defense and has great speed. He struggles with his batting average but in my opinion a good instruction on hitting the ball into the ground could sizeably raise his average, as he would be out a lot of plays. Morgan also has a problem with oversliding second base when he tries steals or stretching a single into a double. He will likely be the backup CF but will also be given a chance to win the left field job (or center field if the Pirates decide in this situation to move McLouth to left)

Moss: He was acquired in the Bay trade from the Red Sox. There are varying views on his ability, some see him as no more than a 4th outfielder while others, including me, see him as a Xavier Nady type player. Remember last year was a career year for Nady so think about 270 average and 15 home runs. Moss has more gap power than home run power and is on the slow side. His defense is average but he has a strong arm. He walks a good bit but also strikes out more than his type of player should. Throughout his proffesional baseball career he has always kept a good average (except for his stint with the Pirates last year). His power is straight away but he seems to hit lefties as well as he does righties (in fact he hit lefties better last year) He would be a better fit in RF than LF but the Pirates may be forced to play him in left if Pearce wins a starting job. His line last year was 246/304/436. With just the Pirates it was 222/288/424. Moss had to have knee surgery at the end of last year and ut was thought he was going to miss 4-6 months but a lesser surgery was able to be done and he is expected to be ready for SPring Training. Moss is considered the favorite to win one of the corner outfield jobs.

Hinske: The newest Pirate, and I must admit one I know little about. He has versitility and can play both corner infield and outfield positions. The Pirates signed him to a one year - 1.5 million dollar deal and are planning to use him primarily as the 4th outfield and top pinch hitter. However Hinske's good numbers against righties makes it very likely that he will at least force a platoon somewhere and see more playing time than he would in a bench role. Hinske has horrible numbers against lefties. Against righties however he shows good power and the ability to hit for a decent average. He also plays all 4 of his postions well (about average), has a good arm and has a little a base stealing ability (last year he stole 10). Neither his strikeout or walk rates are particually good or bad they are just normal. For his career Hinske has a line of 264/347/458 against righties and a 219/293/365 against lefties. Last year he hit 262/344/500 (against righties) and 143/263/224 against lefties. From those numbers it is clear he is suited to a platoon rule but because of so many uncertanities on the Pirates roster he may be forced into a starting role. His total line last year was 247/333/465. The Pirates plan to use hm as a bench player but he will be given a chance to win a starting job in one of the corner outfield spots (or less likely but not totally out of the question : 3rd base).

Others who could see playing time are:

Nate McLouth, Andrew McCutchen (McCutchen will be given a chance to make the team and may see time in left instead of center and McLouth might be moved to left if Morgan or McCutchen proves themselves worthy of starting) Both of these players will be discussed later.

Craig Monroe, Jeff Salazar, Brad Corley: These three will be given a chance to make the Pirates but will likely just fill out the AAA outfield after McCutchen and Tabata take thier spots. Monroe is the biggest name on this list but at this point is really no more than a bench player (his numbers have declined over the last few years). He had a line of 202/274/405 last year. Of the three Salazar seems to have the most upside, he posted a line of 364/439/606 in limited playing time for Arizona's AAA team last year. His time in the majors wasnt as successful, 211/331/344. In his two previous major leagues stints he did fair decent 283/409/415 and 277/340/394. He has shown good plate discipline and good gap power in the minors and could potentially be a nice minor league signing by the Pirates (he is 28 by the way). Corley was once considered a top prospect in college but suffered a thumb injury in his last year of college and hasnt been the same since. He has been with the Pirates his entire career and last year posted a 262/309/390 line with thier AA team. He is no longer viewed as a prospect and if he makes the majors at all it will probably be a no more than a bench player.

Prospects: The top one is undoubtly Jose Tabata and another high ranking one would be Jamie Romak. Both of these outfielders were acquired via trade (Tabata for Nady. Romak was aquired in the Mike Gonzalez for Adam LaRoche trade).

Jose Tabata is only 20 years old. He was considered a top prospect in the Yankees organization but that reputaion was soured with a poor showing last year. He was once considered a five tool player but his speed has decreased as his lower body has increased in size. However he was able to show a little speed last year in a short stint with the Pirates AA team (8 SB). He has shown power potential as a well as a good bat and an above average arm. His defense has been solid as well. Much like another prospect in the Pirates organization (Alvarez) Tabata was bothered by a hammate bone injury last year. He also had a hamstring injury last year at the time of the trade. His stats last uyear with the NYY AA werent impressive, 248/320/310 however his stats with the Pirates were much better, 348/402/562. Granted that line with the Pirates was only over 89 at bats. He is projected to start the year in AAA but it is not out of the question for him to return to AA.

Jamie Romak: Just a quick note he was moved to st base lat year but is still viewed as a potential corner OF. He is a typical power hitter. He hits a good bit of home runs but has a low averge, good OBP, and a lot of strike outs. Romak was able to hit for a decent average at high A last year but struggled at AA. Romak also has little speed plays below average defense in the outfiled but he does have a good arm. Overall Romak is not a great outfiled prospect so I wont say much more about him but he was woth mentioning because he is probaly the second best one in the Pirates organization. Last year he hit 279/360/552 in high A and 208/312/433 in AA. He was eligible for thr Rule 5 draft this offseason but wasnt selected. He will likely start the season out in AA playing RF or possibly 1st base again.

Organization Depth Chart:
MLB: Moss, Hinske (Pearce, Morgan)
AAA: Tabata, Monroe, Salazar, Corley
AA: Romak, Pacheco, Keel
A+: Durham, Huber, Loyola, Laboy
A: Davis, Biela, Morgan, Munoz
Short Season: Garcia, Parry
Rookie: Canal

*Once again leave any additional information you would like. Sorry this one differed slightly form the rest but it was the best way i could think of.

33nfnhl
02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Where is Andrew McCutch??

burgh_fan66
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Where is Andrew McCutch??

I mentioned him briefly but he is more of a center fielder than a corner outfileder so he will be discussed later.

MooseWithFleas
02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
A future of McLouth, McCutchen, Pearce looks real solid. Especially in about 2-3 years. Moss would be a great 4th OF, or he could possibly start and have Pearce move to 1st.

33nfnhl
02-05-2009, 11:34 PM
My bad!!! He def is!!

sep11ie
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I think Hinske will end up starting at third and put up numbers comparable to Ty Wigginton's in Houston last year. In the 270/25/65 area. The outfield seems to be in good shape for the future, so I would look to trade Adam LaRoach for some young pitching and put Pearce at 1st.

trevhipp7
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
The Pirates look like a good team in two or three years with McCutchen, Alvarez, McClouth, Tabata, Moss, and Pearce. They should trade Wilson for a young first basemen or pitcher, and both Laroaches for a pitcher or middle infielder. Laroches for Brent Lillibridge SS White Sox and another prospect. Wilson to NY Mets for Ike Davis 1B, and Luis Castillo?

Sprtsfan500
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Through all of the hopes of a nice outfield in 2-3 years, referenced in these posts, I think everyone fails to realize that McClouth won't be a Pirate in 2-3 years. He'll be lucky to still be wearing the Pirates uniform July 31 of this year. Tabata is a year or two away, if he even continues to improve. Moss will be a career .230 hitter with bad knees. Pearce overachieved in the minors and has done little in the majors. McCutchen is only real prospect and thats if he lives up to the hype. Morgan is nothing more than a 4th outfielder with decent speed if he can learn to use it properly. I do envy the optimism of a good team in 2-3 years. However at that point it'll be over two decades since this organization fielded a winning product.

burgh_fan66
02-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I think Hinske will end up starting at third and put up numbers comparable to Ty Wigginton's in Houston last year. In the 270/25/65 area. The outfield seems to be in good shape for the future, so I would look to trade Adam LaRoach for some young pitching and put Pearce at 1st.

That might be but I think Andy laRoche and then Niel Walker will get the first shots. And I believe Hinske is here for his play in the outfield more than anything else so I think if those two falter it is likely Vazquez will start at 3rd.

sep11ie
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Through all of the hopes of a nice outfield in 2-3 years, referenced in these posts, I think everyone fails to realize that McClouth won't be a Pirate in 2-3 years. He'll be lucky to still be wearing the Pirates uniform July 31 of this year. Tabata is a year or two away, if he even continues to improve. Moss will be a career .230 hitter with bad knees. Pearce overachieved in the minors and has done little in the majors. McCutchen is only real prospect and thats if he lives up to the hype. Morgan is nothing more than a 4th outfielder with decent speed if he can learn to use it properly. I do envy the optimism of a good team in 2-3 years. However at that point it'll be over two decades since this organization fielded a winning product.

:down:
Be optimistic. Its the only time of the year everyone is in first place. Don't come in here and piss on our parade man.

Jerimyaustin6
02-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Would it be to Corly's benefit to move to pitching? I know I saw somewhere that he has a rocket arm, and did pitch some in the past.