PDA

View Full Version : Miller rips MSG crowd for cheering Kobe

Torque
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
New York Knicks fans loved to hate Reggie Miller. Now Miller is taking them to task for showing love to Kobe Bryant.

Fans in Madison Square Garden chanted "MVP" as Bryant torched the Knicks for 61 points the most ever scored in an NBA game at MSG Monday night. Watching on television, Miller was so appalled that he texted his old nemesis, Spike Lee, throughout the game.

"I was texting Spike as the game was going on, saying how disappointed I was in the fans chanting "MVP!" for Kobe," Miller said Tuesday, speaking on a TNT pre-All-Star conference call. "I was like, 'How the mighty have fallen.'

"Because I remember in times past, I never got cheered. I'm sure Jordan never got cheered. And now they are chanting "MVP!" for Kobe? And all (Lee) kept doing was texting back and going, 'Look, times have changed. The climate has changed.'"

Miller, of course, is remembered in New York, and not fondly, for his clutch performances at MSG. He scored eight points in 8.9 seconds to beat the Knicks in Game 1 of the 1995 conference semifinals. A year earlier, he had 25 points in the fourth quarter of Game 5 of the conference finals.

He seemed to enjoy the abuse he got from Knicks fans, especially Lee, and he tormented the Knicks right back.

"I wish I would've gotten the red carpet treatment when I went to the Garden," Miller said. "That would've been nice."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9177254/Miller-rips-MSG-crowd-for-cheering-Kobe

Chronz
02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Different era, the NYK fans havent had **** to cheer about in so long that they have to cheer on other players. Showmanism has taken priority, winning teams dont cheer on other players.

Look at Boston, when Pierce was injured and they were sucking the Boston Garden chanted MVP for Kobe, one year later that same fan base boo's the hell out of him.

Lakersfan2483
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
I have to agree with Chronz, it's a different era nowadays and the Knicks have not had much to cheer about.

Duncan = Donkey
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM
man the nba has changed, seriousley fans cheering for the other team's star player after they just beat your team. the nba isnt a proper league anymore like it used to be, every year its heading more and more towards entertainment and its becoming a gimmick.

infamous
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't know what is wrong with the Knicks fans. Cheering their enemy (not just Kobe), and by that putting their team in a really awkward and shameful position. No more sense of loyalty, what a shame.

soundjunkies2
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Their not the first though to chant MVP for kobe.It happens in almost every arena.

boms-4
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Knicks got nothing to cheer for a while now. Why not chant MVP when the visiting team torches you for 61 points. Let them have some fun

Duncan = Donkey
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Their not the first though to chant MVP for kobe.It happens in almost every arena.

who else has done it? just curious

aman_13
02-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Your right, the Lakers were playing the Raptors tonight and there were MVP chants for Kobe in Toronto.

Torque
02-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Boston

Duncan = Donkey
02-04-2009, 11:33 PM
is that it boston..anymore

thephoenixson28
02-04-2009, 11:35 PM
They were either a lot of lakers fans or those knicks fans just suck. Root for your team not the other way around.

S.J.Basketball
02-04-2009, 11:37 PM

Every arena in the league man. It's awesome. Pau..when he first was traded...was in awe how the Lakers got so much love in opposing teams arenas.

S.J.Basketball
02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
They were either a lot of lakers fans or those knicks fans just suck. Root for your team not the other way around.

You obviously don't watch Lakers games. This happens all the time in opposing teams arenas. Especially last year.

NYMetros
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Miller is only pointing out the obvious.
This is news simply because it was Reggie who said it.

still1ballin
02-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Kobe is special

thephoenixson28
02-04-2009, 11:45 PM
You obviously don't watch Lakers games. This happens all the time in opposing teams arenas. Especially last year. it never happened in phoenix

soundjunkies2
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

Utah,Atlanta,chicago,toronto,philly,thats all that comes to mind.Is that enough for you?

soundjunkies2
02-04-2009, 11:48 PM
it never happened in phoenix

True,Kobe would never get mvp chants in phoenix.

LanceUpperCut
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Your right, the Lakers were playing the Raptors tonight and there were MVP chants for Kobe in Toronto.

Maybe the laker fan's

S.J.Basketball
02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Maybe the laker fan's

Not when they drown out the home stadium fans. just people who respect Kobe's game.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
it sickens me when i think of our fans chanting MVP back in 06. i sat through those awful losses watching them on tv while doing hw and when i heard those chants, it disgusts me.

that doesnt mean i dont respect his game. but u dont cheer for the other team in your court!

but thats sports. every fan sees it differently.

GO BOSTON CELTICS!!!! BEAT LA!

LAcowBOMBER
02-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Of course Reggie wasn't gona get cheered, he beat them in the playoffs. The Knick fans know their team sucks and so they cheered Kobe after a historic performance. It was a classy move and they shouldn't be ridiculed. Maybe the Knicks should become relevant agan and it won't happen.

hotpotato1092
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Knicks fans are knowledgable about the game, we respect a great player of Kobe's caliber. Naturally if it were one of our biggest rivals and we were contenders we wouldn't be cheering him on. When LeBron spurns us in 2010 to resign with the Cavs you think we'll be cheering for him then? No because we'll have Bosh and JJ and will be contenders so we'll just want to win. By the way if you haven't been to MSG you have to go at some point. There's nothing like a game against a great team at MSG, I was at the Celtics game on January 4th and it was ridiculous.

MAC10TIZZY
02-05-2009, 12:14 AM

that nonsense will NOT happen here, ever

soundjunkies2
02-05-2009, 12:23 AM
that nonsense will NOT happen here, ever

I never said it would.I just said it has happened in almost every arena.

NYstateofMinD
02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm a Knicks fan and I have never really hated players for beating us, not even Reggie. I'm a fan of the Knicks forever, but I love basketball in general, something a lot of us don't even appreciate anymore.

Draco
02-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Different era, the NYK fans havent had **** to cheer about in so long that they have to cheer on other players. Showmanism has taken priority, winning teams dont cheer on other players.

Look at Boston, when Pierce was injured and they were sucking the Boston Garden chanted MVP for Kobe, one year later that same fan base boo's the hell out of him.

Yeah.. but i think it's kind of funny and ironic that fans at the Garden are cheering oppossing players for lighting them up. Shredding through paper thin defense doesn't help build a case for attracting FA's. Lebron already took note of that the first time they played. Now it's like they're using MSG as a platform for their game of the season.

LakersOrNothing
02-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm a Knicks fan and I have never really hated players for beating us, not even Reggie. I'm a fan of the Knicks forever, but I love basketball in general, something a lot of us don't even appreciate anymore.

I'm with you brotha. But then again, you also have to come to conclusion about the age group we have to deal with on these forums. I'm pretty sure 94% of them are either in junior high school, or maybe high school, or just really stupid.

I'm a die-hard Lakers fan, and I rarely ever get upset over a lost if the opposing team exposed the team I cheer for. Hell, what can I do? They can't read what I type, hear what I scream, nor know who the hell I am... and quite frankly, i'm sure they don't give a crap how you feel towards them.

In all, I love watching basketball. If the Lakers aren't playing, i'll tune into another game i'm able to see.

still1ballin
02-05-2009, 12:49 AM
it sickens me when i think of our fans chanting MVP back in 06. i sat through those awful losses watching them on tv while doing hw and when i heard those chants, it disgusts me.

that doesnt mean i dont respect his game. but u dont cheer for the other team in your court!

but thats sports. every fan sees it differently.

GO BOSTON CELTICS!!!! BEAT LA!

Your fans are bandwagoners.

GunFactor187
02-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I think the cause of this is that how much the sport of basketball is globalized now, even Euroleagues are starting to turn their arenas into NBA-type arenas and NBA-styles of play. The CBA is also starting to get a lot more physical in defense too. And the fact that the game has changed so drastically throughout the years. LOL I'm just waiting on "The Next Bill Laimbeer" to show up so that we'll get some authentic, old school, go medieval on your behind, NBA feuds again.

Duncan = Donkey
02-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Utah,Atlanta,chicago,toronto,philly,thats all that comes to mind.Is that enough for you?

relax, i was just curious becasue i only watch suns games and have never seen kobe cheered at the us airways before or the lakers for that matter.

chisox..YES!
02-05-2009, 01:02 AM

I can't talk for the other cities, but it doesn't happen in Chicago. I have no idea what you're talking about.

blacknell
02-05-2009, 01:05 AM
knick fans are losers now plain and simple

madiaz3
02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah.. but i think it's kind of funny and ironic that fans at the Garden are cheering oppossing players for lighting them up. Shredding through paper thin defense doesn't help build a case for attracting FA's. Lebron already took note of that the first time they played. Now it's like they're using MSG as a platform for their game of the season.

No, the Garden appreciates great performances whenever they come. This year isn't a showcase year for FA, there is a year between this one and the Free Agency year if you did not know. Thanks.

Draco
02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
No, the Garden appreciates great performances whenever they come. This year isn't a showcase year for FA, there is a year between this one and the Free Agency year if you did not know. Thanks.

That's not what I meant. Lebron doesn't need to audition for teams vying for his services in 2010. He secured his choice of teams under the salary cap a long time ago. I meant that Kobe and Lebron seem to be having fun at the Garden because they can. And the fans are cheering. I just find the role resveral kinda ironic. It's usually the case where home court fans cheer the home team.

soundjunkies2
02-05-2009, 01:22 AM
I can't talk for the other cities, but it doesn't happen in Chicago. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah your right,my fault.They were chanting "KOBE KOBE KOBE".

Draco
02-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah your right,my fault.They were chanting "KOBE KOBE KOBE".

When was that?

Googled it.. apparently around Nov 12 2007.. fresh off the off season rumors of Kobe being traded to Chicago. Yeah, there's a segment of pathetic Bull's fans just like for any other team.

NFLNBA
02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
Ive never seen anything like it, Kobe gets MVP chants everywhere! Only places i havent heard it is in Kings,Suns,Spurs arena's. Boston doesnt anymore but before last year they did like krazy!

tonight in Toronto they chanted MVP and KOBE....KOBE.....KOBE......they just want to see him put on a show i guess

Living Legend
02-05-2009, 04:21 AM
game recognize game.

er I think the kids say something like that nowadays.

S.J.Basketball
02-05-2009, 06:28 AM

Sorry to rain on your parade here, but yes it has. Last year when Kobe was MVP even Chicago fans chanted it. I watched it.

sp1derm00
02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Ive never seen anything like it, Kobe gets MVP chants everywhere! Only places i havent heard it is in Kings,Suns,Spurs arena's. Boston doesnt anymore but before last year they did like krazy!

tonight in Toronto they chanted MVP and KOBE....KOBE.....KOBE......they just want to see him put on a show i guess

Kobe has gotten chants of MVP at Arco Arena (Sac Kings)... a step up from cowbells huh?

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_B_lakers_05.9bae0a.html

Duncan = Donkey
02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
to be honest i dont think they were actual knicks fans cherring for kobe, they are just fair weather fans. Real knicks fans would never be cheering for kobe MVP.

JJ81
02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I really can't stand Miller any more, he always has something bad to say about Kobe! Has anyone else noticed this? He's probably bitter because of that little fight they had... or when LA beat Pacers in the finals... who that he never put up 60+. I dunno, I'm just sick of him, he should go do something else with the rest of his life.

BLOMETSFAN
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree wtih Reggie, it is classless to cheer the opponent on, no matter how bad your team is. A lot of my favorite players on on other teams, and I will cheer for them throughout the year, but the minute they step up against my team, they are just another player on the wrong team.

prodigy
02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I Agree with miller. I can see at the end of the game, cheer for about 10 sec because kobe scored 61. But to cheer the whole game, chant MVP the whole game, it was just so disrespecting.

Which is why new york fans are not in the top 10 best fans anymore.

Testaverde16
02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Reggie should stop crying.... if they cheered for him he may have not been so great against them. Nobody should care what he has to say about it.

Don Starks
02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I Agree with miller. I can see at the end of the game, cheer for about 10 sec because kobe scored 61. But to cheer the whole game, chant MVP the whole game, it was just so disrespecting.

Which is why new york fans are not in the top 10 best fans anymore.

Where is this list of the top 10 best fans? i would love to see it. i bet the attendance at msg was better than at the celtics arena prior to the kg and ray allen getting there. at least knicks fans don't cheer for rivals when they are bad, sort of like celtic fans rooting for Kobe when he came to town in 07. the knicks have never had a rivalry with the lakers or the cavs, nor have we been able to compete with lebron since he has been in the league. all of a sudden the "loyal" celtic fans come out of the woodwork to claim they have always been around. Bandwagon nation.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Your fans are bandwagoners.

go find me a fanbase that isnt.

at least our bandwagoners make some noise in the finals, unlike your movie stars just looken to be seen.

people love winners. i can prove it: look at the number of people on this site who rep Duke, yanks/sox, lakers, colts,

for watever reason: i keep seeing fans who like the yankess, colts, lakers...now thats bandwagoning at its finest.

king4day
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

I had a friend that went there tell me the bulk of the fans chanting MVP were LA fans.

jimbobjarree
02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
I suppose credit where credits due, I mean you follow your team to the end, but if they have been bested by a crazy individual effort like Kobe's I suppose its only natural to applaud him.

I think the Jazz crowd applauded Lebron James when he got 50 at our place a few years back, he deserved it

kntresistheheat
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I think those fans are crying for a superstar and letting the knicks know that they want somebody of their own to chant MVP!!!!

#24 Lakerland
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I remember last year where the Lakers where on the road for 4 games where they played the Celtics and he got MVP chants. Same with the Knicks.

Kaptain Kanada
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
The Lakers were in Toronto playing the Raptors last night.... I was at the game and there were MVP chants for Kobe the whole time. Not cool.

nyybronxborn
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
go find me a fanbase that isnt.

at least our bandwagoners make some noise in the finals, unlike your movie stars just looken to be seen.

people love winners. i can prove it: look at the number of people on this site who rep Duke, yanks/sox, lakers, colts,

for watever reason: i keep seeing fans who like the yankess, colts, lakers...now thats bandwagoning at its finest.

im a jets fan how am i a bandwagon jumper
yes im also a yankee fan , but im also a third generation yankee fan
i was a yankee fan in the 80's when we sucked , had there gear on all the time , now i dont disagree that most fans are but not all , there are many of us that stick to are team thew think and thin

NYstateofMinD
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I had a friend that went there tell me the bulk of the fans chanting MVP were LA fans.

If you watched the game on MSG, they actually said that at the beginning of the Knicks Cavs games. The LA fans were chanting and it was addressed and noticed.

GREATNESS ONE
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Boston before Garnett and Allen came.

thephoenixson28
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
There is a line to be drawn to cheering a different player on the opposing team and if that's if he is going to get traded to your team. I wouldn't want kobe scoring 81 or lebron scoring 50 I will boo him every time he got the ball. Don't get me wrong I would love to have kobe or lebron on my team but I aint going to cheer for him.

colinskik
02-05-2009, 11:56 AM
If you can't recognize the prolific performances of Kobe or LBJ at the Garden then you're just plain dumb (I think Kobe's was waaaay better btw). Chanting MVP, I think that's a different story and I wouldn't partake in that type of tomfoolery.

But honestly, Kobe was putting the ball in the bucket in ALL types of ways - crazy ways. That's just impressive.

Another point -- I watched the Knicks/Lakers game in a bar, so I couldn't hear the crowd, but during the Knicks/Cavs game, when the Knicks took the lead or when they were close, the fans were chanting "Defense" and supporting out team. We still want to see a win above all. However, as many have already said, we, as a fanbase, have had little to cheer about recently. If the Knicks were a top tier team, continually contending for the title (soon, soon) then there would be nothing but cheering for the Knicks. Still, I'm sure there would be applause for a 61 POINT PERFORMANCE!! C'mon, that's incredible!

07MVPPatBurrell
02-05-2009, 12:22 PM
new york fans are garbage. this never would happen in a real sports town(philadelphia)

nd4T.O.
02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
this is bc philly has nothing to cheer about eagles suck, 76ers suck, Philies are ok but its baseball Cmon...i hate Philly and New York but NY is by far a better sports town and they cheer when they see greatness nothing wrong with that

thephoenixson28
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
new york fans are garbage. this never would happen in a real sports town(philadelphia) I know they just boo there own people mcnabb,rollins, elton brand. They don't give other people respect but they also don't give there own team respect.

thephoenixson28
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't believe in that cheering for greatness stuff. Would boston fans want kobe scoring 101 points on them. I don't want history saying that kobe scored 81 points on my team, I wonder how raptors fan feel everytime he plays them or that comes up. Shoot I was pissed when brandon roy hit 52 on us I wasn't cheering for him. Cheer for greatness in the allstar game or the olympics don't cheer on the other teams player when there pounding your team to the ground.

DABEARS23
02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Yea that was wrong on many levels they never did it for Jordan...should of never happened especially when James calls New York the Mecca for basketball I dont know about that anymore ....

kbaxter34
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
new york fans are garbage. this never would happen in a real sports town(philadelphia)

Yeah Philly fans are the greatest. Booing Santa, throwing batteries at JD Drew, the beat down on old man Chief Zee which left him hospitalized, booing Jeff Garcia because he got up from a hard hit and wasn't hurt, cheering Michael Irvins injury, booing the Philly native Kobe at an All-star game, booing McNabb on draft day because they wanted Akili Smith and then continue to boo McNabb with every lost even though he is the best QB the Iggles have ever had. Yeah philly is a real sports town alright.

laker1000
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
If they don't cheer for other, it would be the most silent crowd ever.

SDBearsFan
02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
man the nba has changed, seriousley fans cheering for the other team's star player after they just beat your team. the nba isnt a proper league anymore like it used to be, every year its heading more and more towards entertainment and its becoming a gimmick.

**** the Knicks fans. In Chicago, we NEVER cheer for anybody else. I remember when we had Jordan, going to MSG was scary because of the booing and tension in the building. Now it's some theater for a show, not a game.

SDBearsFan
02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade here, but yes it has. Last year when Kobe was MVP even Chicago fans chanted it. I watched it.

Yeah because of the trader rumor that was going around that he was coming to Chicago.

pippsux
02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder what would have happened if a member of the Knicks gave Kobe or Le Bron a hard foul to send a message, would the knicks fans have booed the knick player?

I agree with Miller, but reality is time has changed, sad days.

thephoenixson28
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Those fans that say they are just cheering on greatness, are probably one of those fans cheering for kobe and lebron. When shaq goes to MSG I want to hear MVP to.

TheChosenOne88
02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I never liked Reggie Miller. The fans can cheer for whoever they want to cheer for, thats part of the fun and freedom of being a fan. This isn't communist China where you get a finger cut off for rooting against your home team.

DirtyThirty
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
i agree with Miller, thats not right

what54!?
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
spike lee was right though. Times have changed. There isn't has much rivalary in the game as there used to be.

MTone8788
02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Kobe is loved all over the world, and the Knicks are not particularly good, so I can see the fans doing that.

I love the Sixers, but I am also a fan of the NBA in general. I've cheered opposing team's players at Sixer's games before when they made a good play, but I wouldn't go as far as chanting for them or anything like that. But times definitely have changed...

magichatnumber9
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
wow when some idiot Boston fans did this they were labeled by Michael Bibby as bandwagon fans. So if the knicks have a good team after 2010, they start filling the garden, well that would make them bandwagon fans. Any way it is stupid to cheer for another teams player, unless they are from that city, or went to college there. Thats it.. and then its a quick round of applause.

carruthers32
02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I was at the ACC for the Raptors vs Lakers game lasntight and I think Kobe was getting more cheers than anyone.

thephoenixson28
02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I would cheer for lebron and kobe, but I wouldn't cheer them when there playing my team. I understand that overall people in the world like these players such as wade,lebron, and kobe but when your a true fan you never cheer for another player no matter how much points he is putting up. I will cheer for those guys in the all star game, olympics, and against teams I don't like but I will never cheer for a guy that drops 61 and 50 on my team.

Gup
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I was at the ACC for the Raptors vs Lakers game lasntight and I think Kobe was getting more cheers than anyone.

Who else would deserve them? no one on the raps do!

kbaxter34
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
^^ how bout Chris Bosh. He is a beast. Cheer him

redhorse
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
wow when some idiot Boston fans did this they were labeled by Michael Bibby as bandwagon fans. So if the knicks have a good team after 2010, they start filling the garden, well that would make them bandwagon fans. Any way it is stupid to cheer for another teams player, unless they are from that city, or went to college there. Thats it.. and then its a quick round of applause.

you shouldnt be talking...boston fans are the poster boys for bandwagon fans..... see by the end of the day its just a game and a sport... see i love to see my team win but if you are expierencing greatness in front of you..you shouldnt take it for granted.... give the man his due...

we are not like philly or boston fans where we take it to another level... where they chant " wife beater" in front of a players son.. elbow a player a baseball player just getting a ball in the corner.... or attacking the opposing bullpen...

knicks fans are the most loyal in the game... as bad as its been we still show up to games and hope that somehow they will turn it around...you cant even tell how bad the team is by looking at the attendance you would think we are contenders... there is a reason why jordan says nyc is the mecca of basketball...

_Sn1P3r_
02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
^^ how bout Chris Bosh. He is a beast. Cheer him

But Bosh got injured. O'neal was the beast. 9 blocks!

kbaxter34
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
O'neal did have a sick stat line