PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe:Best Rookie Class Ever?

Hawkeye15
02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-090204

Thorpe considers 7 players from this draft future all stars. Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Love, Lopez, Oden, and Westbrook, with many other potential players. Agree/Disagree?

FaceDown91
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
greg oden is not in that rookie class.

but dont forget eric gordon either. anyway i think it might. it really depends on if most of the players u listed live up to their hype like lebron, wade, melo and bosh did.

GunFactor187
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah def CANNOT forget about Eric Gordon. I think all of them will be All-Stars sometime in their respective careers, but I still think the 2003 Draft is the best in this modern day; and this is coming from a guy who lives in the city that brought Bust-o Milicic into the NBA.

JAZZNC
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
They could be but it's entirely too early to tell. Are these guys winners or stat stuffers? I think that's going to be the main point of emphasis when deciding who's the better draft class. Can these guys lead a team to the next level.

Taimarv
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Thorpe's right on about this class, but the 84 draft is still the best. Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, Stockton, four of the all time greats.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
If you read the article from espn, he lists Gordon, Bayless, and a number of others as well. And Oden is considered a rookie this year. NBA rules dictate so

FaceDown91
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
If you read the article from espn, he lists Gordon, Bayless, and a number of others as well. And Oden is considered a rookie this year. NBA rules dictate so

i know. but i was just saying he's not in the 2008 draft class. at least that's what i thought u meant.

hotpotato1092
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
LeBron, Melo, Wade and Bosh didn't meet their expectations, they VASTLY exceeded them. LeBron was suppose to be a franchise player, he's now the best player in the league. Melo was suppose to be the nuggets savior, and since he's gotten there they haven't missed the playoffs and are looking like contenders now. Wade was suppose to be a decent to above average point guard, now some could argue he's a better shooting guard than Kobe. Bosh was suppose to be a decent to above average power forward, he's now a franchise player. Can any of those players other than Rose and maybe Mayo live up to those legacies?

td0tsfinest
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
They are good and all are having a great season. As rookies, you can argue they are having the better seasons (statistically) than any other rookie class.

The question is can the continue and become better? Look at a guy like Keith Van Horn, statistically he had a better rookie season than Mayo has right now but he never became an allstar, not to mention is career went downhill after his 2nd season.

chicagowhitesox
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
i disagree for sure. the '03 draft class is untouchable.

Chronz
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I agree with him, the Rookies better smash on the Sophomores though. You know its a stacked squad when a guy like Love gets passed up, hes actually been playing better than Westbrook and EG but doesnt get the minutes for people to notice. Definitely a stacked class.

jkiddvc20
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
The rookie class is definetly a great one I will leave it at that.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie classes should never be measured until the last player is retired.

Because a very good start of a career may turn into a hell of a deception.

For example 96 is always considered as VERY strong Draft one of the greatest etc etc.

Ok KObe is great and so is iverson or nash , Camby is a nice D player and peja is an ok starter for SF but now lets take a look at some other of the "greatS" of that draft today.

Stephon Marbury: A decadent starlett who makes every team he joins worse while previous team goes better.

Ray Allen: Nice stats but needed to be THiRD banana to win a ring.

Antonie Walker, Semi retired Bust that has been sucking for half a decade.

Lorenzen wright, Roster Filler

Kerry Kitles, never a hhge thing long time retired.

Samaki Walker, one of the worst playere ever to actually play time in a Laker uniform.

Eric Dampier: Ask dallas fans about it.

Fuller and potapenko: no need to say anything.

Delk, still alive????

JO: injure prone player .

Jhon Wallace? Walter Mcarthy? long time no league play dudes.

Malick rose!!!! Mark pope!!!! Otella Harrington!!!!! Nice stuff
the only other decent thing is Ilgauskas.

Of course many of this players were considered GREAT 5 years ago but right now i think we should recognise the stock of this draft should be lower than as initianly planed.

mtgphenom
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
what happens with this class also depends on what their teams put around the players. If you look at the blazers rude and batum have a lot of good young talent that will make their devolving time easier on them because they don't have to worry about be a major part of the team just yet. I think the nets scored big in this draft getting lopez and anderson, allowing those guys to develop alongside d. harris and who ever they draft this year and possible get from the carter trade, they'll be a force in the east for many years to come

Hawkeye15
02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Rookie classes should never be measured until the last player is retired.

Because a very good start of a career may turn into a hell of a deception.

For example 96 is always considered as VERY strong Draft one of the greatest etc etc.

Ok KObe is great and so is iverson or nash , Camby is a nice D player and peja is an ok starter for SF but now lets take a look at some other of the "greatS" of that draft today.

Stephon Marbury: A decadent starlett who makes every team he joins worse while previous team goes better.

Ray Allen: Nice stats but needed to be THiRD banana to win a ring.

Antonie Walker, Semi retired Bust that has been sucking for half a decade.

Lorenzen wright, Roster Filler

Kerry Kitles, never a hhge thing long time retired.

Samaki Walker, one of the worst playere ever to actually play time in a Laker uniform.

Eric Dampier: Ask dallas fans about it.

Fuller and potapenko: no need to say anything.

Delk, still alive????

JO: injure prone player .

Jhon Wallace? Walter Mcarthy? long time no league play dudes.

Malick rose!!!! Mark pope!!!! Otella Harrington!!!!! Nice stuff
the only other decent thing is Ilgauskas.

Of course many of this players were considered GREAT 5 years ago but right now i think we should recognise the stock of this draft should be lower than as initianly planed.

all true, but you are asking too much of any draft to put out more than a handful of greats over time. THere will then be a bunch of good starters, maybe with a few all star seasons in there, some role players, and a lot of nobodies. Name me a draft that had more than 6 HOF players. There may be one or two, but my point is, it aint common. 03' had the star power, no doubt, but not a ton else

Iron24th
02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
i disagree for sure. the '03 draft class is untouchable.

Yes and I think the '96 draft class is second.

jrodmesche
02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
i agree with what he said but its not the best ever 03 was a lock for the best ever

cali72888
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
what about Anthony Randolph, he is only 20 and has all the tools to be an all star in the future. he just isnt mentioned because Nelson refuses to play him because his talents are so raw.

JordansBulls
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
It has a chance to be up there with some of the great classes.

Lakers09
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
too early to judge with injuries and all

TheChosenOne88
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
2003 Draft class

FaceDown91
02-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes and I think the '96 draft class is second.

84 draft 3rd? :eyebrow:

montazingmvp
02-05-2009, 02:35 AM
ummmm...maybe we should wait until one of them actually do something. they're some pretty good talents in this one, but how can you even say its better than the 84 draft, yet. i mean jordan and olajuwon alone beat every single player in this draft combined until they prove me wrong

Hellcrooner
02-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Someone should pay respect to some other rookie classes beyond t84 96 and 03

1960, Robertson, West, Wilkens,Attles.

1967 , Monroe,j Walker, Frazier, Mel Daniels, and curious thing this year they were drafted two hall of famers who were role players, P Riley and P Jackson :P)

1970 Lanier, Tomjanovic, Lacey, Cowens, Petrie, Calvin Murphy , Nate archibald, ****ing WOW!!!

1977, Bernad King, Sikma, Walter Davis, Cedric Maxwell , Otis birdsong, Ray Williams, Norm Nixon, Tr Dunn, eddie Johnson, You could make quite a case for this year, tons of all stars and HOF.

1979 Larry Bird*(arent we considering Rudy and Oden in this years class?) Magic Johnson, Baiey, Moncrief, Cartwright, V Johnson, Calvin Natt, , Having Both Magic and Bird being rookies the same year should be enough of a reason to consider this rookie class as VERy VERY HIHG.

1981, Aguirre, Thomas, Blackman, Chambers, Woolridge, tripucka, nance, Talking bout all stars and champions...

1982, Nique, Worthy, cummings, Fat lever, hodges, r pierce, Sleepy floid, holy crap, WHat IF lakers took Wikins instead of Worthy?????????

1985, ewing, schrmepf, tisdale, oakley, mcdaniel, Ac green, terry porter, M adams, manute bol, Sabonis, Spud webb, Michael phelps ????????? ha ha, talking about DEEP!!

1986 DOOM draft.

1987 !!! D Robinson, Pippen, Kevin Johnson, D mckey,Horace grant, reggie miller, Marc Jackson, Marciulonis, come on crazy!!!!!!!

2001l CHander, gasol, richardson, battier, joe johnson, dalembert, parker, arenas, okur, how many in the allstar this year?????

2003, please take a good look at the "talent" 8th pick down....

So , dont buy into espn and sports center and look at the career of the aforementioned players, almost all of them HOF or at least all stars.

See 96 wont be remembered so much 20 years on from now for the reason of my first post, too many nice start way downard spiral players., 03 MAYBE , deppends on how they do.