PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would like an Official World Championship.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:33 AM
1 Weekend around February March (So no one can make, "im in preseason" Excuses)

1 Seed to the tourney ( Rotatory 1 year in each continent)

March Madnes style Friday Quarter finals Saturday Semifinals Sunday the Great Final

Participants.

Nba previous year Champion

Euroleague Previous year Champion

Ncaa Champion

Uleb Champion

South America Champion

Africa Champion

Asia Champion

Oceania Champion

oly24
02-04-2009, 06:01 AM
i like the concept just dont know if it would work i mean how fair would it be for the ncaa champs to have to guard Kevin Garnett or some of these skilled european players lol

JayW_1023
02-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm all for it. I would love to see the NBA Champion and Euroleague champion match up in a game for a world cup of sorts.

The problem is, will it be played under FIBA rules or NBA rules? Anyway, I never liked how people called the NBA champion 'world champion'.

You should at least be able to play for that title. Including the NCAA is utterly ridiculous though.

bostncelts34
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm all for it. I would love to see the NBA Champion and Euroleague champion match up in a game for a world cup of sorts.

The problem is, will it be played under FIBA rules or NBA rules? Anyway, I never liked how people called the NBA champion 'world champion'.

You should at least be able to play for that title. Including the NCAA is utterly ridiculous though.

i completely dissagree. The NBA champs are world champions. All the best players from around the world come to the NBA to play. Therefore, when a team wins the chip, they have beaten the worlds best players/teams. I dont think this tournament would be good for the NBA at all. heres why..

1.Adds more games and injury risk to a season

2. Would make the season extend past June.

3.I dont think those teams would compete with the NBA champs. IF theese euro players were good, they would come to the NBA. Especially th NCAA champs would be screwed. The celtics would kiill them by like 80 points.

07MVPPatBurrell
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
dumb idea. african league ? oceanic league ? there are like 5 people in "the oceanic" who play basketball.

lakers4sho
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm all for it. It would be nice to see league champions going against each other.

And please don't underestimate other leagues. Please.

DrDEADalready
02-04-2009, 11:20 AM
No. Something our players shouldn't have to worry about.

BoognishMN
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Europe and the NBA champ would be an interesting matchup but thats about it.

DrDEADalready
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
What do you think the olympics are for?

magichatnumber9
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
a playoff with the worlds greatest floppers. no thanks

Frrrrank!!!
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Bad Idea.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
none of the above.
an additional single elim tourney doesnt prove much.
especially not against such crappy competitors.

also we should reserve the right to bring along a college or high school team not to make believe they can beat the NBA team, but to serve as a buffer to beat all these crap teams you want to bother our NBA champs with.

also why should the NBA talent get diluted much more than other leagues? (instead of bringing over an all-world USA team like we did to barnstorm everyone)
we have 30 teams, while many others have very few teams in comparison.
or if they do have more teams, they are often from different countries.
it will cheapen the event that a foreign team somehow pulls off a single elimination win over the NBA team.

if anything i would like to see some series being played.
maybe at least a 2 of 3 or 3 of 5 in the playoffs. just one win means very little overall. even the best teams ever lose games.

WSU Tony
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I've always hated the term "world championship" when only American teams play. It just seems stupid to me. I realize it's assumed other teams assembled around the world wouldn't keep up but regardless, it's dumb.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I've always hated the term "world championship" when only American teams play. It just seems stupid to me. I realize it's assumed other teams assembled around the world wouldn't keep up but regardless, it's dumb.

no, it really isnt "dumb".
its much catchier, and most american leagues that have a "world championship" deserve the right to call themselves that. they are easily the best league in the world to their respective sport.
(NBA, NFL, etc)

with your thinking, the NFL teams have no right to be called world champions as long as they dont play the arena league or canadian league winners:rolleyes:

JayW_1023
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Still, the NBA is an American league...even if it's the best league in the world...'World Champions' sounds so f-ing opportunistic.

When a Kenyan runner beats every other Kenyan runner in a marathon...should he be the world champ as well?

still1ballin
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I voted no simply because you can't spell "CHAMPIONSHIP" right.

Gilbert>TheRest
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
i dont think its that bad for the nba to be called world champions becuase we have/had canada teams and other people across the world play basketball. But the nfl shouldnt be called world champions

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
1 Nfl CAn be called world championship because there is NO pro league outside usa.

2 the olympics meet NaTIONS not clubs.

3 Should we call the soccer champions league Wolrd Champion? NO, is english or spanish or italain league better than all leagues in Asia/Africa and South america ? OF COURSE but still a world championship is playede every year in Tokyo, till now 0 North american winner, 0 Africans, 0 Asians or Oceanics, 9 of each ten Europes club wins, but man 1 of each 10 South american team wins.

4 Did i say this idea would bring in a lot of "greens" in Tv and league and owners pockets?

Wilson
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
dumb idea. african league ? oceanic league ? there are like 5 people in "the oceanic" who play basketball.

I don't think there were much more than five people playing basketball in Spain until the USA started using pro players in the olympics. Now look at the amount of players coming from there...

I think real competition between the NBA and other leagues around the world can only make basketball a better sport. Seeing the worlds best players play in other countries will indroduce the sport to more people, hence more people will play, hence the level of play will improve.

There will definately be some obsticals, but I think it's an excellent idea, and can be pulled off.

mfb_lt1birdman
02-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I would only go so far as to offer an invitation to any legitimate proffesional teams to challenge the previous title winners to a game (maybe series) under NBA rules.

None of this take the best players from any country or region. They have to be an assembled proffessional league team.

YankeeFan89
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
World cup for basketballl!

josh81589
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I would like it to be all the champions of this year to go compete that way its like you have to win your own league to continue on. the next year thing i dont really like because the team might not be as good and they change so its not the same team. I also would not want to include college basketball. I think its a great idea but its never gonna happen because its more basketball and most of the nba players are not going to want to play more basketball after a long season. I like it though cause its just like the olympics but its not about the country its about the team.
Great idea though in my opinion.

Kaptain Kanada
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm all for it. It would be nice to see league champions going against each other.

And please don't underestimate other leagues. Please.

It's not underestimating them.... it is just a known fact that all the world's best players are in the NBA. I'm a Raptors fan, and ask me how well Will Solomon is playing this year in the NBA after 'starring' in Europe.

JayW_1023
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
The NBA champ being declared as World champion is just not very logical, especially the last time Team USA lost in international comp it was against a Greece team consisting of NO NBA players whatsoever.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
The NBA champ being declared as World champion is just not very logical, especially the last time Team USA lost in international comp it was against a Greece team consisting of NO NBA players whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

its a joke if you honestly think any pro basketball league comes even remotely close to being as good as the NBA.
its THE best basketball league, by far.
using a catchy name like "world champs" for their winner is deserved.

a single elim tourney a few years ago with a bunch of players thrown together does not prove anything negative about the NBA.

JayW_1023
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Still it proves even lesser talented teams can win if they play great team basketball.

I think it's possible for a top Euroleague team to beat a bottomdwelling NBA team yes. So I think it's not unthinkable to have the Euroleague and NBA champ face off.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Still it proves even lesser talented teams can win if they play great team basketball.
no it proves that they can win a single game or two against a team that was thrown together at the last minute w/o most of their best stars.

its basketball, the best team doesn't always win.
especially if the team is not well represented with enough talent from their country.

I think it's possible for a top Euroleague team to beat a bottomdwelling NBA team yes. So I think it's not unthinkable to have the Euroleague and NBA champ face off.

if they put something together, then fine.
but until then i dont think we should be discrediting the world champs of the best basketball league in the world by far on a small hunch that a clearly inferior team, from a clearly inferior league could beat them.

they have castoffs and backups from the NBA as some of their best players.

by that thinking the steelers shouldn't be world champs either.
Philadelphia soul from the arena league, and calgary from the CFL should be considered co-world champs.:rolleyes:

bostncelts34
02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Still, the NBA is an American league...even if it's the best league in the world...'World Champions' sounds so f-ing opportunistic.

When a Kenyan runner beats every other Kenyan runner in a marathon...should he be the world champ as well?

1. All the best players in the WORLD compete against eachother in the NBA.

2. IF runners had a season of marathongs or something, and americans, euro's ect. are able to compete. Then yes, they would be beating the ebst in the world, and therefor, be world champs

Hawkeye15
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
The NBA Champion is the World Champion. The NBA has the best players from all the different leagues around the world. And if you sent the Celtics or Lakers to play the Euroleague winner, the Celtics or Lakers would destroy them, end of story. The best players in the world are in the NBA. Therefore, they are the World Champions. I would like to see the same rules for every league in the world, not sure if that is possible.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Not ALL of the best players are on the nba.

If you Count LOTTERY picks still uneligible like Rubio or Jennings.

And count at least 15 - Players that COULD very well be playing 30 minutes a game in the Nba but for whatever reason they decided to be in europe ( Delfino, CHILDRESS, Garbajosa, BONZI WELLS etc etc)

And those who COULD REALLY be there and where there at a wrong time because they where not still ready ( i mean the next anthony parker or Charlie Bell or Raja Bell or Pj Brown, or John starks kind of dudes)

Then not All of the talent is in Nba.

Oh and Ncaa always has at least 20-25 guys who will be Nba first rounders the folowing year

chicagowhitesox
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
no, not at all. if some awful euroleague team actually pulled off a win against us somehow, they would all think they're better than us and everything. it would just be a lose-lose situation.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think there were much more than five people playing basketball in Spain until the USA started using pro players in the olympics. Now look at the amount of players coming from there...

I think real competition between the NBA and other leagues around the world can only make basketball a better sport. Seeing the worlds best players play in other countries will indroduce the sport to more people, hence more people will play, hence the level of play will improve.

There will definately be some obsticals, but I think it's an excellent idea, and can be pulled off.

In fact te TurNING point for BB in spain was getting the BRONZE on Moscow 1980 and then the Silver against Jordan and Ewing in LA 84.

The fact that right after that they started airing the Nba on our tv in 86 after the world championship was held here in spain ( Robinson and Bgues where on Usa team) `+ Dream team in Barcelona 92 just SOLIFIEd the trend.

Pau getting there and being a star has make 3 tims the children to choos basket, so spain can only GROW in talent.
Next names to make a splas in nba, Rubio, Lull, Claver and Antelo.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
no, not at all. if some awful euroleague team actually pulled off a win against us somehow, they would all think they're better than us and everything. it would just be a lose-lose situation.

Afraid?

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Afraid?

you and i both know that the NBA champs would have a cakewalk the vast majority of the time.

we dont necessarily need to give you euro-homers a lottery shot to beat the NBA champs in a single elim match every year.

Wilson
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM

That's a pretty bad logic, to say "If they beat us, then they might think they're better than us". Then what's the point of being a sports fan?

I just think that having NBA teams compete with teams from other parts of the world will make basketball a more competitive sport worldwide, which can only be a good thing for the game.

GunFactor187
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I would love to watch the Celtics faceoff against Olympiakos.

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
well following the logic boxers wouldnt accept any more fights once they got their belts.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 05:39 PM
well following the logic boxers wouldnt accept any more fights once they got their belts.

they certainly wouldn't go fight amateurs after they win their belt..

Hellcrooner
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
^cowardy at its highest

Iron24th
02-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm all for it,NBA is the best league,but many european players are way better than americans native.

IndyRealist
02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe once the NBA and other leagues play under the same rules. That puts an undue amount of strain on the NBA champs though, who by far play more games in a season than in any other basketball league. The NBA would have to shorten the season to make it happen, and that'd cut into everyone's pocketbooks. So overall, I like the idea but I doubt it'll ever happen.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 06:22 PM
^cowardy at its highest

haha.
grow up dude, and get real.
i am not scared of your minor league European teams at all.

the Nba champs would smash the euro champs the vast majority of the time.
its not debatable. they are 2nd class.
the Nba team would be massive favorites.

albertc86
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Personally, I've always liked the idea of United States born All-Stars vs. International All-Stars.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Personally, I've always liked the idea of United States born All-Stars vs. International All-Stars.

its called the Olympics, pretty much.

montazingmvp
02-05-2009, 02:49 AM
it would be sick if it'd work. but it wouldn't. africa doesn't have a very organized basketball league, it is also not popular there at all, not enough to generate interest from fans, and the teams would be straight garbage. there are only about 5 players from africa in the nba. maybe a few more but thats it. besides china basketball isn't popular at all in asia. as for oceania, you've got one country that really plays basketball there and thats australia. the rest of the league's could work, there just isn't enough interest in basketball throughout the world yet, to generate enough interest outside america, china, and small parts of europe. it just shows that basketball is nowhere close to being as popular as soccer to pull something off like this.

lakers4sho
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
haha.
grow up dude, and get real.
i am not scared of your minor league European teams at all.

the Nba champs would smash the euro champs the vast majority of the time.
its not debatable. they are 2nd class.
the Nba team would be massive favorites.

I bet you don't even watch international ball. I bet you can't even name actual leagues outside the U.S. without looking it up on Google.

You just jumped on that "international ball is inferior and teh usa is teh pwnzz" bandwagon...

:pity:

Wilson
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
it would be sick if it'd work. but it wouldn't. africa doesn't have a very organized basketball league, it is also not popular there at all, not enough to generate interest from fans, and the teams would be straight garbage. there are only about 5 players from africa in the nba. maybe a few more but thats it. besides china basketball isn't popular at all in asia. as for oceania, you've got one country that really plays basketball there and thats australia. the rest of the league's could work, there just isn't enough interest in basketball throughout the world yet, to generate enough interest outside america, china, and small parts of europe. it just shows that basketball is nowhere close to being as popular as soccer to pull something off like this.

Well the only way the rest of the world is going to get better at basketball is if the best players are introduced to it.

If foreign teams need to be full of world class players to be deemed worthy enough to face NBA competition, there will never be an organized competition between the NBA and the rest of the world. It's just unrealistic to expect these other nations to catch up with the NBA's level of play in a short amount of time.

If the NBA introduces itself to other leagues around the world though, and different nations get to experience real NBA competition (instead of pre-season games), the interest will grow, and the talent pool will increase greatly.

Even if a competition was created, and the NBA teams just steamrolled through all the competition (which I don't think is necessarily a sure thing), then it'd still create enough interest to where the talent pool will start to grow, creating better competition in the future, and an overall better sport.

The question of rules is one that will need to be answered, but I'm sure the NBA and FIBA could work out any problems for the better of the sport.

Hellcrooner
02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
The rules thing is arranging itself, Fiba is going to chance some rules next year to make the game more nba style, and nba some time ago decided to allow zone defense for example, im sure that we are close to a fiba nba reunion that will bring an intermediate rules being applied.

It would be very good if all pro basket in the world had just one set of rules.

PutMeInCoach
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I wouldnt do this with the NBA players.. however, I think it would be interesting to have it with the DLeague All Stars.

JNore151
02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
not dat this therad is kinda stupid but adding NCAA champs into the mix mos def takes away any credabilty this theard wouldve had....

pippsux
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I think it would be a great idea. It has always troubled me that the NBA, NFL and MLB use the term world champions. Maybe 20 years ago, but in basketball the US just won it's first gold medal since 2000 after being dominated by the likes of Argentina, Spain and Peuto Rico. There is no proof that America is still the best at baseball, maybe even ever. NFL can lay claim to that title, partially because nobody else is playing American Football at that level or playing period (no offense to Canada or any Euro Leagues).

For the NBA, reduce the season to 50 -60 games and play a mini tourney or don't call yourself NBA Champions.

JNore151
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I think it would be a great idea. It has always troubled me that the NBA, NFL and MLB use the term world champions. Maybe 20 years ago, but in basketball the US just won it's first gold medal since 2000 after being dominated by the likes of Argentina, Spain and Peuto Rico. There is no proof that America is still the best at baseball, maybe even ever. NFL can lay claim to that title, partially because nobody else is playing American Football at that level or playing period (no offense to Canada or any Euro Leagues).

For the NBA, reduce the season to 50 -60 games and play a mini tourney or don't call yourself NBA Champions.

has to be by far the stupidest thing ive read in 2009

pippsux
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
has to be by far the stupidest thing ive read in 2009

You took time to read it, I am honored!:eyebrow:

Hellcrooner
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
im also for reducing the number of games a season.

what do you preffer 82 games in wich Paul, Parker, Bynum, Nelson, Bogut etc are forced to miss more than half the season because of injuries.

or a 50 Game season with more relaxed schedules with more resting time for players and less injuries.

cambovenzi
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I bet you don't even watch international ball. I bet you can't even name actual leagues outside the U.S. without looking it up on Google.
the euroleague, Russian basketball super league, spanish acb, IBBA(israeli), adriatic league, and various other countries have leagues named after their country.

You just jumped on that "international ball is inferior and teh usa is teh pwnzz" bandwagon...

:pity:
show me something, anything, that would suggest a foreign league even approaches the overall talent in the NBA.
id love to hear it.

its not the US claming to be the best at each sport, but the specific leagues mostly inside of the US.

in baseball, for example, many of the best players come from the DR, venezuela, PR, cuba, or the US. the vast majority of those great players, play in the MLB, which is the best pro baseball league in the world.

the NFL its obviously the best football league. and most of the best players are american too. not really any competition.

The Nba has some elite foreign players from various nations.
china, germany, etc.
but like i said, they play in the NBA...
yes, the US has the best players of any country, but that is not even the issue here. the NBA has the vast majority of all of the best players in the world.
no league approaches the amount of talent the NBA has.
it is w/o a doubt the best BBall league in the world.

again, id love to hear some kind of counter argument with some type of proof stating otherwise.

im also for reducing the number of games a season.

what do you preffer 82 games in wich Paul, Parker, Bynum, Nelson, Bogut etc are forced to miss more than half the season because of injuries.

or a 50 Game season with more relaxed schedules with more resting time for players and less injuries.
its a business.
82 games brings in more revenue, while still not packing in the schedule too much.