PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

clarkfn2284
02-04-2009, 04:15 AM
hey Reds faithful im a Giants fan with a personal intrest in one of your recently signed minor leaguers. me and my lady are friends with recently signed LHRP Ron Flores and i was wondering what the word was around the area. i see that more than likely he would be behind Bill Bray and Arthur Rhodes. what are the odds of Ron making the team out of camp and if not does he need to climb over any other lefty prospects before getting back up to the show? thanks

jlohm1
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I wont be easy for him to considering that he has bray, rhodes, and herrara in front of him. but if someone goes down he might have a good chance of being called up.

Kinsm
02-05-2009, 01:40 AM
A late round draft pick who will be turning 30 this season and is still in AAA? The fact that he isn't on the 40 man roster and was brought in primarily as filler for Louisville's squad, the chances are slim. Like Jlohm said he would be fourth in line within lefthanded relievers maybe even fifth if they thought Maloney would be better suited as a reliever. But if a lefty went down it doesn't mean they'd necessarily call up a lefty they might call up Roenicke, Fisher, or Manuel (all RHRP's) first because they are on the roster. If your not on that 40 man it's tough unless their are a bunch of injuries, Pettyjohn and Adkins managed to make it up late last September...he'll be in the same boat. I know Jocketty signed his brother Randy in STL and his replacement signed Ron to a minor league deal there just before Walt came to Cincy...so he at least has the attention of the GM? IF he cuts down on all the walks he has posted the last few seasons (Whip near 1.6 last 2 years) it's a possibility.

clarkfn2284
02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
A late round draft pick who will be turning 30 this season and is still in AAA? The fact that he isn't on the 40 man roster and was brought in primarily as filler for Louisville's squad, the chances are slim. Like Jlohm said he would be fourth in line within lefthanded relievers maybe even fifth if they thought Maloney would be better suited as a reliever. But if a lefty went down it doesn't mean they'd necessarily call up a lefty they might call up Roenicke, Fisher, or Manuel (all RHRP's) first because they are on the roster. If your not on that 40 man it's tough unless their are a bunch of injuries, Pettyjohn and Adkins managed to make it up late last September...he'll be in the same boat. I know Jocketty signed his brother Randy in STL and his replacement signed Ron to a minor league deal there just before Walt came to Cincy...so he at least has the attention of the GM? IF he cuts down on all the walks he has posted the last few seasons (Whip near 1.6 last 2 years) it's a possibility.

the main problem that he had in Oakland was the surplus of young arms in their system. he never really got a real shot. he was up and down until they had to get rid of him. while he has been up hes been good, but it seems as though last year the second half killed him. he was lights out in the first half. also i was told he has his fastball up to around 92 from the 88-90 it was at. here is hoping eh?

jlohm1
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
the main problem that he had in Oakland was the surplus of young arms in their system. he never really got a real shot. he was up and down until they had to get rid of him. while he has been up hes been good, but it seems as though last year the second half killed him. he was lights out in the first half. also i was told he has his fastball up to around 92 from the 88-90 it was at. here is hoping eh?

we have a lot of good, young arms too.

Freel for prez
02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't see him making the team...if the team falls apart early we may see him a bit.