PDA

View Full Version : More important come playoff time: home court advantage or rest and bench experience?

hotpotato1092
02-04-2009, 03:07 AM
After Popovich decided to rest his big three in a potentially crucial game against Denver, it brought up the question of what is more important come playoff time: having home court advantage against some really good teams or having your star players rested and fresh while your bench has good experience? Personally I'd go with the latter, While home court advantage is important if your team is exhausted and your bench doesn't know what to do once in a game how can you beat anybody let alone a playoff team?

Lakersfan2483
02-04-2009, 03:48 AM
After Popovich decided to rest his big three in a potentially crucial game against Denver, it brought up the question of what is more important come playoff time: having home court advantage against some really good teams or having your star players rested and fresh while your bench has good experience? Personally I'd go with the latter, While home court advantage is important if your team is exhausted and your bench doesn't know what to do once in a game how can you beat anybody let alone a playoff team?

Pop has a veteran team who knows how to win on the road and most of the guys on his team have won titles, so it's in the team's best interest to develop their bench and rest some of their starters.

Personally, I understand the importance of homecourt advantage for a team like LA who is trying to win a title, so it's important to gain homecourt throughout the playoffs. Phil Jackson also understands the importance of homecourt advantage for his team and also does a good job of balancing minutes and resting guys. I would rather see LA get homecourt advantage rather then resting their stars, but LA has a younger team and Pop knows his team....

DaaBoTownSox
02-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Well, based on last year's champs, i'm going to have to go with Home Court Advantage.

Sox Appeal
02-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Well, based on last year's champs, i'm going to have to go with Home Court Advantage.

I think the Celtics would have won the championship without home-court advantage last season. I'm not sure if they could have won the title without their veteran bench. James Posey, PJ Brown, and Sam Cassell all where key contributors for the Celtics last season. And all 3 of those players are considered veterans.

ARMIN12NBA
02-04-2009, 04:08 AM
I think the Celtics would have won the championship without home-court advantage last season. I'm not sure if they could have won the title without their veteran bench. James Posey, PJ Brown, and Sam Cassell all where key contributors for the Celtics last season. And all 3 of those players are considered veterans.

No. They couldn't even win a game on the road until the Pistons series. If they did not have any HCA last season then they would have even lost to the Hawks...

DenButsu
02-04-2009, 04:38 AM
It's not only homecourt advantage. It's higher playoff seeding which directly results in an easier path to a deep playoff run.

And there are ways to get the bench more experience and the stars more rest (which I agree are both important, esp. the bench) without sitting your top 3 players for an entire game.

GspLAL
02-04-2009, 05:00 AM
It's not only homecourt advantage. It's higher playoff seeding which directly results in an easier path to a deep playoff run.

And there are ways to get the bench more experience and the stars more rest (which I agree are both important, esp. the bench) without sitting your top 3 players for an entire game.

I think the Mavs might say something about that..playoffs is all about matchups.

clehmun
02-04-2009, 05:03 AM
I think the Mavs might say something about that..playoffs is all about matchups.

a better way to say it would be: playoffs is all about HOW you matchup.

holocaust227
02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
It depends on the makeup of your team. I'd rather develop my bench early in the season, balance some minutes and then warmup my starting players going into the playoffs. The character of the players also plays a big role in home court being an advantage.

JJ81
02-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Due to the possible difference in strength of each conference, HCA during the finals should be determined by why which of the two teams has less playoff losses up to that point.

bostncelts34
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Bench, HCA then rest...why..

1. A bench is what carries you through the playoffs (brown,cassell,posey) without our bench, we definitly dont win a championship last year

2. Yea, i know. We needed HCA last year to win the first few rounds. But i beleive the celtics knew they had HCA and didnt work as hard on the road for wins, knowing they were coming back to boston. I beleive any team can beat any other team, anywhere, any given night. Its an ADVANTAGE, not a game decider.

3. rest. Seriously, give me a break lol. Playoff time. Players are pumped up. Not tired. IF your tired, thats sad IMO.

JordansBulls
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
HCA easily. With HCA it means you have the better record than the other team which means you should be better. Now if two top seeds meet up then it might not be as much needed, but still HCA means a lot.

I will say that for teams that have won the title, that HCA isn't as important as it is for teams that haven't won a title.

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
its not just one or the other.
you have to have a combination of both.
if your stars are all tired and beat up, then it will be much harder to win not only playoff games, but regular season games later in the season.

so not only will teams who rest their stars at times be more healthy for the playoffs, they might win more regular season games then they would have as well, and end up with a possibly even better seed.

Like i said, you have to have a combination of both rest and wins.

DrDEADalready
02-04-2009, 12:07 PM
For the Jazz def Homecourt advantage is important for us.

JordansBulls
02-06-2009, 01:15 AM
its not just one or the other.
you have to have a combination of both.
if your stars are all tired and beat up, then it will be much harder to win not only playoff games, but regular season games later in the season.

so not only will teams who rest their stars at times be more healthy for the playoffs, they might win more regular season games then they would have as well, and end up with a possibly even better seed.

Like i said, you have to have a combination of both rest and wins.

I think rest is overrated. Celtics didn't have any rest between series last year.

hotpotato1092
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Not always true, I remember a few years back teams were fighting for a lower seed so they'd get Denver in round one instead of Dallas.