PDA

View Full Version : What's More Important? Rebounds or Blocks?

FaceDown91
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
If BigMan A had a great rebounding skill but no blocking what so ever but BigMan B had a great blocking skill but no rebounding skill what so ever, which one would u choose?

Hawkeye15
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I choose rebounds.

JJ81
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Rebounding 100% 15 rebounds a game are far better than 3 blocks.

The rebounder can still alter shots.

rapswin98
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
all bigmen should be able to rebound. blocking isnt that important, playing proper defence is more important

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I really hate certain stats. Like rebounds. A center can get 4 rebounds a game just by being given the position in front of the basket on a free throw. Another 4 or 5 can just bounce right to you. Any big man with enough minutes can grab 10 rebounds. Very few players went to go get the boards and earn the high stat numbers.

If a guy gets a lot of blocks, it not only affects the shot he blocked, but the mindset of the opponent. They are likely to attempt a jumper instead of taking it to the hole. The shot blocker is likely to alter a lot of shots as well. I would go with a shot blocker that controls the paint. Seeing how he is probably tall lets me know he will get his fare share of boards.

Wilson
02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Rebounding 100% 15 rebounds a game are far better than 3 blocks.

The rebounder can still alter shots.

all bigmen should be able to rebound. blocking isnt that important, playing proper defence is more important

I agree. Altered shots can be just as valuable as blocks, they just aren't tracked.

Rebounds also equal axtra possesions. If the offensive team recovers the ball after a blocked shot, it can be easy to score since the defense will be a bit un-organized. Fifteen rebounds give you fifteen definate opportunities to set up and run your offense, which is extremely valuable.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I really hate certain stats. Like rebounds. A center can get 4 rebounds a game just by being given the position in front of the basket on a free throw. Another 4 or 5 can just bounce right to you. Any big man with enough minutes can grab 10 rebounds. Very few players went to go get the boards and earn the high stat numbers.

If a guy gets a lot of blocks, it not only affects the shot he blocked, but the mindset of the opponent. They are likely to attempt a jumper instead of taking it to the hole. The shot blocker is likely to alter a lot of shots as well. I would go with a shot blocker that controls the paint. Seeing how he is probably tall lets me know he will get his fare share of boards.

so how many players get 10 rpg? 7,8? A blocked shot doesn't effect D1 or NBA players like it does in high school or at your local gym. When you drive into the land of 6'9"+, you expect to get some shots blocked. It doesn't bother pros. Rebounding takes opportunities away from them, or gives your team another one. Far more important. Shoot, I would say intimidating shots is far more important than actually blocking them

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
so how many players get 10 rpg? 7,8? A blocked shot doesn't effect D1 or NBA players like it does in high school or at your local gym. When you drive into the land of 6'9"+, you expect to get some shots blocked. It doesn't bother pros. Rebounding takes opportunities away from them, or gives your team another one. Far more important. Shoot, I would say intimidating shots is far more important than actually blocking them

Well that was kind of my point. A shot blocker is not going to block all the shots, but most likely he contest a high number of them. And I do think the threat of a shot blocker/guy who alters shots, does prevent guys from going to the basket for a layup or dunk. You watched the finals last year right? There was no player on the Lakers that was known as being a shot blocker or a guy that challenges a high number of attempts. And we all seen what happened, it was a lay up line. Both the Lakers big men got their share of rebounds. But they did not deter anyone from driving to the lane

QUICKTRADE
02-03-2009, 07:59 PM
rebounds bec its a sure ball possesion.

Hawkeye15
02-03-2009, 08:01 PM
[/B]

Well that was kind of my point. A shot blocker is not going to block all the shots, but most likely he contest a high number of them. And I do think the threat of a shot blocker/guy who alters shots, does prevent guys from going to the basket for a layup or dunk. You watched the finals last year right? There was no player on the Lakers that was known as being a shot blocker or a guy that challenges a high number of attempts. And we all seen what happened, it was a lay up line. Both the Lakers big men got their share of rebounds. But they did not deter anyone from driving to the lane

I will agree that having a presence back there is important, especially to deter opponents from the lane, but I just think great rebounding teams are better. The Cavs dont have a shotblocker, yet they kill in rebounding, and are the best defensive team. Oh, I watched the finals. Bynum is a 10 rpg guy, Gasol, not so much.

ink
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Rebounds also equal axtra possesions. If the offensive team recovers the ball after a blocked shot and score since the defense will be a bit un-organized. Fifteen rebounds give you fifteen definate opportunities to set up and run your offense, which is extremely valuable.

I was going to say that. Beat me to it. Key point IMO.

Master Mind
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Rebounds

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I will agree that having a presence back there is important, especially to deter opponents from the lane, but I just think great rebounding teams are better. The Cavs dont have a shotblocker, yet they kill in rebounding, and are the best defensive team. Oh, I watched the finals. Bynum is a 10 rpg guy, Gasol, not so much.

I agree that great rebounding teams are the best option to have. But the thread asked if you would want a great individual rebounder or a great individual shot blocker. I just picked a great shot blocker because that is a skill set not many players have perfected.

And I honestly see a player grabbing a rebound as something that just comes by happen chance. If your tall, you park your big but in front of the rim, make sure the other tall guy does not go around you and grab the ball if it bounces to you. Or you get to stand in front of the line right across from your teammate and wait to see if the opposing player misses his free throw. That is not a skill in my opinion.

But having the timing, and athleticism to be able to go up and get a block or alter shots is a skill in my opinion.

But of course I will admit, there are not too many great rebounder's that were not at least decent shot blockers, and vice versa.

Wilson
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I was going to say that. Beat me to it. Key point IMO.

:bow:

Young2Kinsler
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Rebounds give your team possesion of the ball, blocks don't always do that. No doubt, rebounds mean much more.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Definitely rebounds.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-03-2009, 08:59 PM

my gosh can anybody in this forum spell defenSe

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
rebounds

aman_13
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Obviously rebounding.

JAZZNC
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Exactly when in the hell have you ever seen a great shot blocker who couldn't rebound the basketball?? It just doesn't happen. To block shots you have to be tall/long and therefor you will get rebounds as well. It doesn't work the other way around though. You can be a great rebounder and have no defensive ability whatsoever (Boozer, Randolph, Curry, Amare, ect.)

Wilson
02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
my gosh can anybody in this forum spell defenSe

It's actually spelt defence in the UK and some other parts of the world...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=defence&meta=

bahama0811
02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Rebounding is huge, blocks are just an added plus. If you lose the rebounding battle in any given game you'll most likely lose.

FaceDown91
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Exactly when in the hell have you ever seen a great shot blocker who couldn't rebound the basketball?? It just doesn't happen. To block shots you have to be tall/long and therefor you will get rebounds as well. It doesn't work the other way around though. You can be a great rebounder and have no defensive ability whatsoever (Boozer, Randolph, Curry, Amare, ect.)

its a hypothetical question, whether it makes sense or not lol.

Lakers4ItAll
02-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Stipid question REBOUNDS is the answer.

ink
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
It's actually spelt defence in the UK and some other parts of the world...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=defence&meta=

Here too.

Chronz
02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Offensive Rebounds > Defensive Rebounds for the reasons DnL gave, if you dont rebound a shot chances are one of your teammates will, on the other hand shotblocking has no value unless you get the rebound so it depends on the player. I will say that Id rather have a dominant offensive rebounder above either of these. There are guys who can rebound and block shots but be horrible defenders (Raef in his prime) so it just depends on the player.

Ever heard of Ronny Turiaf?

sfgs558
02-03-2009, 10:51 PM
as a warriors fan i definitly 100% have to pick a rebounder. It creates possessions and a big can still be a great defensive player without blocks. also blocks can still go back to the offensive team.

JJ81
02-04-2009, 06:09 AM
I agree. Altered shots can be just as valuable as blocks, they just aren't tracked.

Rebounds also equal axtra possesions. If the offensive team recovers the ball after a blocked shot and score since the defense will be a bit un-organized. Fifteen rebounds give you fifteen definate opportunities to set up and run your offense, which is extremely valuable.

Exactly. Blocks often end up as another chance for the offensive team

holocaust227
02-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Rebounds NQA. =D More possesions = More chances of winning. Rebounding is definitely easier than blocking in getting possesions. Changing shots is better than shot blocking IMO but I'd still want a block or so from my big men just to send a message to the other team and to fire up the team as well.

Skin&Bones
02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Rebounds

Jeter_3
02-04-2009, 07:39 AM
this is a stupid thread.... because blocks do not matter at all! I mean if you block the ball 8/10 ten times it will go out of bounds. so the team gets the ball right back! rebounds are really important!

rawz
02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I think it depends. I would rather have 10 blocks then 10 rebounds. I think rebounds are easier to come by then blocks. Are we trading 1 for 1, or 10 for 3? yeah, 10 rebounds is better then 3 blocks.

but id much rather have 12 blocks then 12 rebounds.

santana88
02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
rebounding the ball.... both on O and on D.... blocking shots is a craft if you rebound there will a guy close to you to box you out and that takes him out of the play... you can even change shots if you dont get the block

gr824
02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Offensive Rebounds > Defensive Rebounds for the reasons DnL gave, if you dont rebound a shot chances are one of your teammates will, on the other hand shotblocking has no value unless you get the rebound so it depends on the player. I will say that Id rather have a dominant offensive rebounder above either of these. There are guys who can rebound and block shots but be horrible defenders (Raef in his prime) so it just depends on the player.

Ever heard of Ronny Turiaf?

... or Manute Bol ?