PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Team Theme

SnoStorm
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Alright guys I need some help! In my sports marketing class my group was assigned the Pirates to play a sort of mock marketing project. We need to develop a theme to base the season on. (like last year the Yankees were all about the final year in the stadium, the Red Sox had cowboy up as theme a few years back.)

We just need some idea on a yearly theme for the team. I know a little about the Pirates background but not enough. The only thing we can come up with so far is the 100 year anniversary of your first World Series Championship. So again any idea are great ideas and I'll take as many as I can get.

Thanks!

wjpirates
02-03-2009, 10:29 PM
You could base the season on the premise of the broken record that is about to occur. You could say "We lose with the best of them" or "17 years of showing the world how to lose" as this will be the season that the pirates break the record for consecutive losing seasons. If you can't cheer for a winning season, you might as well cheer for the pirates to put the record out of reach.

MooseWithFleas
02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
You could do a "Restoring Greatness" theme and compare past players with future players... Like on a commercial have a picture of Roberto Clemente throwing a runner out from the outfield, and then show a play made by Andrew McCutchen (Future of the Bucs). Then Have a defensive play by Bill Mazeroski clip followed by a defensive play by Freddy Sanchez. Then have Stargell hit a home run, followed by a home run by a new young Pirates player. Obviously none of the current pirates will ever touch any of those Pittsburgh legends (unless McCutchen lives up to the hype) but it will generate excitement

sep11ie
02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
2009 Pirates---"Infested with LaRoaches!"

Maz60
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
2009 Pirates---"Infested with LaRoaches!"

I cant top that. Sheer genius. :clap:

burgh_fan66
02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Ill list a few:

1) as you said its the 100th anniversaary of our 1st WS as well as the 30th of our 5th and last
2) this is the year we can break the consecutive losing season streak
3) 2009 might be our year. follow me here 2007 season Pens make championship, 2008 season Steelers win Super Bowl, 2009 Pirates ????
4) Come see the ballpark, the best in the country
5) The young future. McCutchen and possibly Alvarez might come up this year
6) As of right now come watch a possibly historically bad pirching staff
7) This years Rays with half the wins :eyebrow:
8) NEW UNIFORMS!!!!!!
9) you could play off the Steelers success. They play by the Pirates and the win the title near a pirate ship. hmmm very interesting
10) The WS champs currently reside in our state
11) First year after the Huntingdon purge of Littlefields people
12) Finally .... WE WILL :p

tooch
02-05-2009, 12:45 AM
"the family"