PDA

View Full Version : Ty Wigginton

DolphinsOrioles
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
The Orioles have signed free-agent Ty Wigginton to a two-year contract, according to a major-league source.

Wigginton hit .285 with 23 home runs and 58 RBIs with the Astros last season.
Wigginton likely will serve as a right-handed hitting first baseman and DH, replacing free agent Kevin Millar.

He also will back up Melvin Mora at third base.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9173224/Source:-Orioles,-Wigginton-reach-two-year-deal

bmurphy28
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

Billy Griffin
02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
This is a great signing.

Ty Wiggington serves as an equal talent @ DH, 1stbase and 3rd.
Giving all three players that start at those positions some real competition.
Last year Melvin Mora could act any way he pleased.....
pounting and sitting out games if he had a headache.
Now he's gonna play.
We should see Mora, Huff, Scott and Wiggington tear the cover off the ball.

bigity b
02-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I like the signing a lot (and he's cheap = bonus). Besides his on-field production, it's another asset we've collected letting us dangle him or Huff or Scott for a trade later on. (i gotta believe a trade involving huff or scott will happen before the season). Outside of a trade happening, are the O's done with signings? What does the roster look like?

C: Zaun / Quiroz.... Weiters
1B: Wigginton / Huff
2B: Roberts / Freel / Gomez
SS: Izturis / Freel / Gomez
3B: Mora / Wigginton / Freel / Gomez
LF: Pie / Freel / Scott / Montanez
CF: Jones / Pie
RF: Markakis / Montanez
DH: Huff / Scott

Darn good defensively, not bad offensively.

Arenas519
02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
damn mcpahil just keeps getting it done!

MemphisOsFan
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Good move by the Orioles.

Eicholtz
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
If luke was unhappy before than I am sure he is pissed now. Here is another person that may take at bats from him. Oh well.

As far as the deal I like it. It is a good insurance policy for Mora and Huff if either of them are dealt. The lineup could be different every night with as many options as they have. I don't know how many wins are coming but it should be interesting this year.

Driven
02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
This move really doesn't do much for the O's. Hopefully he doesn't get a lot of playing time, unless they trade Scott.

The only way this makes much sense is if someone is traded.

Dashtary
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
good signing but not somebody has to go... whether its scott,huff,or mora

O's Boy15
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Great move, MacPhail is turning into an MacMVP with all the great moves he's been makin, keep doin it MAcPhail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wizind33
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice move...rh power hitter we need...maybe we can package scott/another player
perferably a pitcher( like penn/baez/walker) and get a 3B/SS so we'll have 1 ready
for 2010/11 season

rkelly7
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Nice move, but someone will have to go.

Who????

Mora? doubt it, he has a partial NTC, and his salary is ridiculous
Scott? Why would we? he's young, wouldn't fetch us much anyway

So that leaves Huff

Sure, he had a monster 2008, but what happens if he doesn't repeat? He will have no trade value and he won't be considered a type A FA, so if we keep him, he has to have a good year or we are screwed.

McPhail needs to take us out of this position completely by trading him while he has value, his contract is affordable and he would get us a few good prospects, maybe we should shoot for a 3B/1B and a 2B prospect

We can keep Roberts, I don't care as long as we don't resign him, I'll take the first rounder when he signs with another team, it's probably more than we would get out of a trade unless McPhail pulls some voodoo BS like in the Tejada and Bedard trade, do it McPhail! We don't need Huff anyway, we can put Wiggy there and still have a good offense.

bmurphy28
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
huff isn't going anywhere

kmoneyjuice
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Huff to SF for Lowry or sanchez

tymonic1
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
:confused:IMO some potential suitors for a HufF trade-angels,twins,redsox(if they'll trade within division) more than likely i see huff staying and a package of scott and prospects to a team like seattle or atlanta

Driven
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
huff isn't going anywhere
If he tears it up the first few months, it would be pointless to keep him. Hell, it would be pointless not to shop him now.

vetoedbyangelos
02-04-2009, 02:16 AM
I like what MacPhail is doing, at least, I think so. He's paved the way to trade away our expiring contracts without hurting the club in the short-term. I think Aubrey Huff, Luke Scott, and Brian Roberts are officially on the trade block. Think about it.

Scott doesn't like being a DH, Huff is coming off a career year (at a discount price), and Roberts is their biggest trade chip (assuming there's a market for him). Wigginton could play 1st base this year and slide over to third in 2010 - when Mora is no longer with the team. This opens up the DH slot for Montanez and possibly Reimold. Freel could play second base, and Chris Gomez would be the super utility player. This is MacPhail keeping his options open.

The Dodgers need offensive help, and the situation with Manny Ramirez has to be getting under their skin. Is it a coincidence that MacPhail picked up Wigginton at the same time Ramirez rejected his latest offer? I'm not sure. The Dodgers need a second baseman, but since Orlando Cabrera is still out there, I don't think they'd be interested in Roberts. Huff, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. Yes, they have James Loney, but he hasn't developed into a power hitter like they hoped. He's still young, and he can hit, so maybe a straight-up swap could happen?

The Orioles could then ship Roberts to the White Sox for Gavin Floyd, along with one of Hayden Penn, David Pauley, or Brian Burres. The Orioles get rid of a pitcher who is out of options, pick up a legitimate starter, and then slide Wigginton in at second. Assuming Justin Turner starts the year in AAA, they might be viewing him as Roberts' eventual successor (maybe for 2010).

The Orioles could then trade Luke Scott, along with a veteran reliever (like Walker perhaps), to pick up a young shortstop or third baseman (depending on how the draft develops). Option B would be to package Scott in the Huff deal and pick up Blake DeWitt, a third base prospect who is currently blocked by Casey Blake (who re-upped during the winter).

I know, it's ridiculously speculative, but I think it makes sense. Besides, look at the team we could field:

LF - Felix Pie
CF - Adam Jones
RF - Nick Markakis
3B - Melvin Mora
SS - Cesar Izturis
2B - Ty Wigginton
1B - James Loney
C - Gregg Zaun/Matt Wieters
DH - Lou Montanez/Nolan Reimold

SP - Jeremy Guthrie
SP - Gavin Floyd
SP - Koji Uehara
SP - Mark Hendrickson
SP - Radhames Liz

We get younger, substantially cheaper, and we don't hurt our club in the short-term. Losing Roberts would be tough to get over, and his production will be hard to replace, but that pitching needs an upgrade - badly. The move makes sense. Roberts for Floyd might not be realistic, especially since the White Sox have Chris Getz. On the other hand, Scott might offer more production at this stage in his career than Abreu - so if the White Sox move Jermaine Dye, that could be in the cards.

Whatever happens, I know this much. Andy MacPhail isn't done yet, and honestly, I really like what I'm seeing. If we get a solid pitcher for the rotation, maybe we can finish ahead of the Blue Jays - who look they're on the verge of holding a fire sale (they have to trim their payroll to $85 million). Small consolation, I know...

bigity b
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
^^^Per all your explanation on the flexibility of the players McPhail has acquired, I believe he isnt done either. There will be a trade (or two) before the season to move either Scott or Huff. Whether we get pitching prospects or infield prospects is another story - it all depends on what the acquiring team has. I imagine Huff would be better/more desired in the NL because his versatility in the field.

Driven
02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I like what MacPhail has done as well, but only if he continues in this direction. He needs to keep going in this direction and make moves. No big contracts to borderline players. Giving Roberts 4 years is too much (somewhat understandable, but too much), and giving Looper more than 2 years would be crazy. He needs to shop Huff, Roberts, Scott and Sherrill.

bmurphy28
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I dont' think anyone big is going to be moved

tymonic1
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
This move really doesn't do much for the O's. Hopefully he doesn't get a lot of playing time, unless they trade Scott.

The only way this makes much sense is if someone is traded.

i don't think anyone goes..wiggy will play 1b 2b 3b ss(o's plan to get him alot of ss in st)plus he can play of dh...i see no reason huff scott pie and wig get 500 ab a piece

tymonic1
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I like what MacPhail is doing, at least, I think so. He's paved the way to trade away our expiring contracts without hurting the club in the short-term. I think Aubrey Huff, Luke Scott, and Brian Roberts are officially on the trade block. Think about it.

Scott doesn't like being a DH, Huff is coming off a career year (at a discount price), and Roberts is their biggest trade chip (assuming there's a market for him). Wigginton could play 1st base this year and slide over to third in 2010 - when Mora is no longer with the team. This opens up the DH slot for Montanez and possibly Reimold. Freel could play second base, and Chris Gomez would be the super utility player. This is MacPhail keeping his options open.

The Dodgers need offensive help, and the situation with Manny Ramirez has to be getting under their skin. Is it a coincidence that MacPhail picked up Wigginton at the same time Ramirez rejected his latest offer? I'm not sure. The Dodgers need a second baseman, but since Orlando Cabrera is still out there, I don't think they'd be interested in Roberts. Huff, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. Yes, they have James Loney, but he hasn't developed into a power hitter like they hoped. He's still young, and he can hit, so maybe a straight-up swap could happen?

The Orioles could then ship Roberts to the White Sox for Gavin Floyd, along with one of Hayden Penn, David Pauley, or Brian Burres. The Orioles get rid of a pitcher who is out of options, pick up a legitimate starter, and then slide Wigginton in at second. Assuming Justin Turner starts the year in AAA, they might be viewing him as Roberts' eventual successor (maybe for 2010).

The Orioles could then trade Luke Scott, along with a veteran reliever (like Walker perhaps), to pick up a young shortstop or third baseman (depending on how the draft develops). Option B would be to package Scott in the Huff deal and pick up Blake DeWitt, a third base prospect who is currently blocked by Casey Blake (who re-upped during the winter).

I know, it's ridiculously speculative, but I think it makes sense. Besides, look at the team we could field:

LF - Felix Pie
CF - Adam Jones
RF - Nick Markakis
3B - Melvin Mora
SS - Cesar Izturis
2B - Ty Wigginton
1B - James Loney
C - Gregg Zaun/Matt Wieters
DH - Lou Montanez/Nolan Reimold

SP - Jeremy Guthrie
SP - Gavin Floyd
SP - Koji Uehara
SP - Mark Hendrickson
SP - Radhames Liz

We get younger, substantially cheaper, and we don't hurt our club in the short-term. Losing Roberts would be tough to get over, and his production will be hard to replace, but that pitching needs an upgrade - badly. The move makes sense. Roberts for Floyd might not be realistic, especially since the White Sox have Chris Getz. On the other hand, Scott might offer more production at this stage in his career than Abreu - so if the White Sox move Jermaine Dye, that could be in the cards.

Whatever happens, I know this much. Andy MacPhail isn't done yet, and honestly, I really like what I'm seeing. If we get a solid pitcher for the rotation, maybe we can finish ahead of the Blue Jays - who look they're on the verge of holding a fire sale (they have to trim their payroll to $85 million). Small consolation, I know...

scott more productive than abreu...ummm no:confused::D

vetoedbyangelos
02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not saying Luke Scott is better than Bobby Abreu, I'm saying he's a more cost-effective solution. I guess I wasn't clear about that. That being said, let's take a look at some numbers and see how much more valuable Abreu is than Scott - and whether it justifies their difference in salary.

Abreu hit 51 home runs over the last three seasons (approximately 1,700 ABs), averaging 40 doubles per year. He's had three straight 100 RBI seasons, and his batting average is sitting comfortably around .290. On the surface, it seems like a no-brainer.

Scott, however, is no slouch. In less than 1,200 career ABs, he has 51 home runs and 170 RBI - in addition to 80 doubles. He also hit 15 triples (compared to 11 for Abreu) during that span and carried a .497 slugging percentage (Abreu's hasn't broken .474 since 2004). His career OPS is 119, one point below Abreu's three-year average. His .266 average is his biggest weakness, along with speed - but he is four years younger and probably less than half Abreu's price.

Maybe Scott is the better player at this point. Especially if you project out his averages to reach Abreu's sample size of 1,700+ at-bats. RBI aren't necessarily indicative of performance, namely because Scott was a platoon player who often batted in the lower-third of the line-up - compared with Abreu, who was often slotted in the heart of his batting order.

It might seem ridiculous, but if I was building a team, I'd rather have Scott - even if Abreu is the more rounded player (which I won't argue). That being said, I completely understand why people groan when I produce this argument. Abreu is a star player with name recognition - Scott isn't. He has a reputation (deservedly) as a run-producing machine, and his all-around game is great. Just don't devalue Scott because he isn't Abreu. People fall into that trap all the time, and it's why a lot of GMs sign broken-down veterans instead of modestly priced run producers who carry their load. If you follow the Orioles, I'm sure you're familiar with that practice. Abreu isn't going to get better, and Scott still can. Anyway, to each their own.

tymonic1
02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
not a dig on scott at all, nor you for that matter,scott is a good player and one of my favorite o's.for the money sure scott is a cheaper option, but imo he's no bobby abreu.thanks for the rebuttal though enjoyed reading it

vetoedbyangelos
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
not a dig on scott at all, nor you for that matter,scott is a good player and one of my favorite o's.for the money sure scott is a cheaper option, but imo he's no bobby abreu.thanks for the rebuttal though enjoyed reading it

No worries, but you have to admit, the numbers are surprisingly comparable. It shocked me when I saw it. Abreu, no question, was the better player during his peak years - and he's probably still the better player. I wasn't commenting on your opinion as much as people who are infatuated with big name players.

Scott is a product of conservative and intelligent use, and if he had to consistently face left-handers I don't think his numbers would be nearly as good. Personally, I believe that certain players bring intangibles to the game that can't really be measured - and Abreu is one of them.

For example, speed gets statistically devalued all the time. Defensive players with good range tend to commit more errors because they get more opportunities and put themselves in position to make more plays. Steals, according to a lot of stat junkies, are immensely overrated. I disagree - speed is a huge (and largely immeasurable) part of the game.

It's the same reason that Aubrey Huff and Ty Wigginton are underrated. Versatility isn't conveyed in statistics. People say that they're mediocre defenders (at best), but how many players are able to man multiple positions? It's more than catching a ball. It's understanding your role within the defense and knowing where you are supposed to be at any given time.

People get hung up on star players, but for me, it's the guys who excel in specialized roles and display versatility that excite me. I've read so many comments by so-called fans who call Luke Scott nothing more than a role player, or they say Brian Roberts is a below-average defender - too many Oriole fans think our players are categorically bad, and it's just not the case. People who think Aubrey Huff is a stop-gap player need to do their homework. Wigginton is another one of those guys, and that's why his salary is so low. I'm really excited to see him in Baltimore, and I'm excited that (for once) fans aren't comparing our free agent additions to guys like Teixeira.