PDA

View Full Version : Manny has ripped the Dodgers' contract offer out of Colletti's hands and pissed on it

bcransom
02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Dunn, Sheets, Wolf please.

LA Times reports.

mexican dodger
02-03-2009, 03:44 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-manny-ramirez3-2009feb03,0,3789499.story

THINKBLUE15
02-03-2009, 03:50 AM
lol. What do you expect? That was a crap contract. Show Manny respect, and give him 3/65 or 3/72 and he's a Dodger. 1/25??? Please.

We knew he would reject the contract, it was just a matter of when.

bcransom
02-03-2009, 03:54 AM
3/65, 4th year option for 23

DodgerLove
02-03-2009, 03:57 AM
He's pissed, i really dont think he has any desire to even consider coming back to the dodgers now. Another job well done by NedCo and company, give me a break.

CubsRule08
02-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Man he needs to stop being greedy with offers...

DodgerLove
02-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Dunn, Sheets, Wolf please.

LA Times reports.

If we signed all three of them I wouldnt be too upset, but NedCo has said that the Dodgers have no interest in Sheets, I hope that changes.

theproof
02-03-2009, 04:03 AM
That was faster than I thought.

bcransom
02-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Depressingly fast.

kmoneyjuice
02-03-2009, 04:13 AM
Dunn and Wolf are garbage...Sheets mabe

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 04:16 AM
That sounds like one soggy contract...

downsos
02-03-2009, 04:19 AM
I haven't been this surprised since the report about Bonds taking steroids last week.;)

bcransom
02-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah well, Boras squirted it with his pale hose.

SDBearsFan
02-03-2009, 04:26 AM
I haven't been this surprised since the report about Bonds taking steroids last week.;)

:laugh:

downsos
02-03-2009, 04:34 AM
"Manny has ripped the Dodgers' contract offer out of Colletti's hands and pissed on it."

Wait, this took place inside the Green Monster?

JHG722
02-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Imagine someone holding a contract for $25,000,000 and ripping it up...

Ouch.

brandonwarne52
02-03-2009, 04:51 AM

Dunn is garbage? Wow, welcome to PSD J.P. Ricciardi

SouljahPhil...
02-03-2009, 05:25 AM
As expected......

FWBrodie
02-03-2009, 05:25 AM

How do you figure that?

FWBrodie
02-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Imagine someone holding a contract for $25,000,000 and ripping it up...

Ouch.

Yeah no kidding... pretty insane when you think about it like that.

SouljahPhil...
02-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Good for him........

Giants-49ers-Ws
02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Come on Giants--strike NOW!

Benny Eggs
02-03-2009, 06:16 AM
^the giants don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw in out of..
and not only did manny reject the dodgers offer he said that if a team gave him a respectable offer he wouldn't give the dodgers a chance to match.. Looks like hes sick of playing games with LA I'm guessing manny will be with the NYM or Nationals in 09

Allabouthephils
02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Will people please stop saying that Adam Dunn is garbage ... :rolleyes: .... Learn a thing or two about baseball and then realize that Adam Dunn will be the best valued player in baseball next year outside of arb and 1st 3 guys....

Adam Dunn on a 1 yr 5MM or 2 yr 10MM deal is the best value in baseball for free agents... period... Tell me another guy that will get you his production for that cost on the open market...

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
he is NOT going to get a better offer.....he is fortunate to get a 25 million offer when Abreu and Dunn are going to settle for 7-9 million

Tragedy
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Can someone explain to me why the Dodgers are being ignorant enough to continue working their offseason as a Manny-fest?

They gave a nice effort to sign him, and they've wasted a ton of time. Why don't they move on?

jcphik
02-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow. Maybe the Yankees will get him :smoking:

Badluck33
02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I dont think manny could get a better deal. Seriously.

He might have to settle for that because I dont think anyone else will want to give him that much money.

I dont even think he's worth it.

johnnylee722
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
1:33am: Ramirez has turned down the Dodgers' one-year offer, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Hernandez lists the New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Washington Nationals as teams that are monitoring Ramirez' market.

The Dodgers could find themselves in a bind if Ramirez receives a multi-year offer from another club. If Ramirez is offered what he considers a fair deal, sources close to him say that he wouldn't grant the Dodgers a chance to match it, forcing the Dodgers to go into Spring Training without their only star attraction and reliable run producer.

Hernandez believes the Dodgers could possibly pursue free agent outfielders Adam Dunn or Bobby Abreu if they don't re-sign Ramirez.

9:11pm Monday: ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports that Ramirez and agent Scott Boras were given a 48-hour deadline to either accept or reject the offer.

7:40pm Monday: According to Tony Jackson of the Los Angeles Daily News, the Dodgers have made another offer to Manny Ramirez. This time it's a one-year deal worth $25MM.

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti confirmed that the offer was made last night. "We are still trying to sign Manny, and we hope that this will make him happy,'' Colletti said. The team's first offer was two years, $45 million with a club option for 2011. As Jackson notes, these are the only known offers extended to Ramirez since he filed for free agency last fall.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/dodgers-make-se.html

Probably end up with the Giants if I had to guess. I mean the Mets could sign him but that would mean they could be the best team in the NL... I don't know if the Wilpon's want that.

koldjerky
02-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Can someone explain to me why the Dodgers are being ignorant enough to continue working their offseason as a Manny-fest?

They gave a nice effort to sign him, and they've wasted a ton of time. Why don't they move on?

They probably figured no one else was going to bite on Manny. If they were going to offer this deal then they should've waited till basically the day before the season started because that'd be when he'd be more likely to take it.

johnnylee722
02-03-2009, 08:55 AM
If the Yankees sign him it would just be funny...

misterd
02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Good. Hope his *** lands in Montreal.

Gigantes4Life
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Good. Hope his *** lands in Montreal.

That would definitely be interesting, since there's no baseball team there.

EricU812
02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
"Nobody wants to sign me."--Manny

The country is in economic depression. Go back to the Dominican and tell your community you just "pissed" on a 25 million dollar contract.

If I'm Manny I'm taking the deal, ripping up the league (especially in that division) and then demanding more the next year. You hustled for 2 months, got kicked off a team because apparently your own teamates said you weren't worth the headache.

I'd be willing to bet Boras told him during his dominating second half/playoffs that he was going to get rich...now you've got an player who thinks he's better than what he is. I'm sick of the act.

poodski
02-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Will people please stop saying that Adam Dunn is garbage ... :rolleyes: .... Learn a thing or two about baseball and then realize that Adam Dunn will be the best valued player in baseball next year outside of arb and 1st 3 guys....

Adam Dunn on a 1 yr 5MM or 2 yr 10MM deal is the best value in baseball for free agents... period... Tell me another guy that will get you his production for that cost on the open market...

Still available or was available this offseason?

I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find 5 or 6. Cesar Izturis comes to mind first off.

Gunzito22
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah, ummmmmmm

someone give me a $25M check, so I can pretend I am underrated too. Thanks to Boras Inc for boning Manny too... he will NOT make the money in this contract that he would have made if he played it out in Boston...

time for a "dark horse" to come out of the woodwork... I pick Baltimore... 3/63 to play DH and he has no choice but to take it b/c there are no other suiters

BleedinBlue
02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Let me start by saying I love what Manny did for us last year, but repeating it is unrealistic. Second, $25 mil is not garbage and the dodgers need to stop bidding against themselves. I would take that $25 and buy Dunn($8 mil), who is indeed the best FA value out there, Wolf ($8 mil) and Hudson ($7mil). Dewitt can be a lefty alternative at third and give beard some time off and fill in for Hudson at 2b. Yes we would lose a pick for Hudson, but we would gain it for Manny. We then have a lineup that looks like this:

Fookie
O Dawg
Either
Dunn
Kemp
Loney
Martin
Blake

I think the Hudson upgrade over Dewitt at least makes up partially for the downgrade of Dunn over Manny.

Ultimately, no matter what we give Manny it appears he is not going to be happy. And we all know what headaches that brings. Not worth it to me.

leiasgoldbikini
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Not sure that a pissed off Manny is worth any contract that he'd be willing to sign.

felixthecat011
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
manny's going to the yankees in the end... you can see it coming a mile away...

IU Hoosiers 3
02-03-2009, 11:07 AM
imagine turning down $25 million dollars to play baseball for a year. I can see him going to the mets out of that list of them, the giants and nationals.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
lol at the people who tthought he would accept it last night

thefeckcampaign
02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
That would definitely be interesting, since there's no baseball team there.Boy, you have the thought process equal to that of Pavlov's dog. ;)

Joe505
02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
He is going to the Giants... He is already in talks with them I bet. Giants in 09! Manny and Crede=BEST IN THE WEST!

gcoll
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
His demands have been consistent. He wants a longer contract. A one year deal isn't gonna cut it.

He didn't force his way out of Boston for a 5 million dollar raise, and a 1 year deal.

manny's going to the yankees in the end... you can see it coming a mile away...
Yeah. I fear that may be the case.

During the Tex dealings I always had that feeling that the Yanks were hanging around. I got the same feeling again.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
With the offer being 2 years with an option for the 3rd, I didnt think the Yankees were in it. But now with no deal on the table, I am fairly positive the Yankees will get in on this

gcoll
02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
With the offer being 2 years with an option for the 3rd, I didnt think the Yankees were in it. But now with no deal on the table, I am fairly positive the Yankees will get in on this

If you can get Manny with a 3 year deal, I don't see why you wouldn't want to do it.

In the 4-5-6 year range, I'd be a bit more wary. But 3 years. Why not? That's why I think the Yanks are gonna jump in. They can get a decent deal. Everyone else is low balling him.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I just dont think the Yankees wanted to get n a bidding war which is why the stayed away.

I love how people are crying "But, But, But, the Yankees said they were done with free agents"

Well they also said the same thing after getting Sabathia and Burnett lol

thefeckcampaign
02-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I really hope he doesn't get an offer at all at this point.

bagwell368
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
lol. What do you expect? That was a crap contract. Show Manny respect, and give him 3/65 or 3/72 and he's a Dodger. 1/25??? Please.

We knew he would reject the contract, it was just a matter of when.

an aging hitter with his reputation for complaining and going his own way? In this economy? 2 for $44M with an option/buyout for 3rd season, and that's if you want him really bad.

LADanks
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
If the Dodgers back out, the Yankees would be the only ones who could possibly prevent Boras from being embarassed. If the Yankees don't sign him, his and Manny's outlook would be pretty grim... SF wont go anywhere near LAs offer, neither would DC. The Mets are money strapped, right?

25 mil for one year is not bad for Manny in this situation. Next years off-season might have more AL teams in on him willing to sign him into his 40's. I think a big part of it is Manny just doesn't want to play hard again. He knows that if he signs a one year deal he'll have to play for a contract again and he'd rather just coast through the rest of his career and retire fat and lazy. 4/100 is a flat out joke though. I have as good a chance as Manny to be signed to a 100 mil contract this off-season... 0%.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I honestly think the Yankees and Mets are the best options at this point unless a surprise team emerges like the Cards or Nats

DOdgers - Offer rejected

Giants - Dont want their payroll to reach over 100M

Yankees - Say they are "done" but how much can you believe that Cashman says?

Mets - Could very much use his bat in their lineup

HOZ THE KNICK
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
he will be a met for some strange reason.

redsox12
02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
If the yanks sign him they will have to trade Nady then, and also with Melky out of options they will have to trade him to.

Sport
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
He is going to the Giants... He is already in talks with them I bet. Giants in 09! Manny and Crede=BEST IN THE WEST!

Yeah a guy that only plays when he wants to and a guy who will only play 40 games with his bad back:rolleyes:

How do you turn down a 25 million dollar offer? for one year? This could come backto haunt him, but Im guessing he is in discussions with some other team to be able to turn down that offer.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
If the yanks sign him they will have to trade Nady then, and also with Melky out of options they will have to trade him to.

lol oh no, if the Yankees got Manny they would have to trade a guy they are already trying to trade and Melky?

whitesoxfan83
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
:sigh:

i didnt want to believe it when i posted it last night, but now i really am sure hes going to end up a yankee.

and they still dont even need swisher :mad: give him back!!!!

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Nah Swisher would probably stay

1. Damon LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Rodriguez 3B
4. Ramirez DH
5. Teixeira 1B
6. Posada C
7. Cano 2B
8. Swisher RF
9. Gardner/Melky CF

Muttman73
02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
How do you spell stupid....Manny

$25 Million for one year...what an insult

nyybronxborn
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
:sigh:

i didnt want to believe it when i posted it last night, but now i really am sure hes going to end up a yankee.

and they still dont even need swisher :mad: give him back!!!!

yes we do rf or cf , if we sign manny and dont trade matsui , there outfield will be damon in cf , swisher in rf and manny in lf
good by to melky and nady , I DIDNT LIKE EITHER OF YOU ANYWAY:D

nyybronxborn
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM

1. Damon LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Rodriguez 3B
4. Ramirez DH
5. Teixeira 1B
6. Posada C
7. Cano 2B
8. Swisher RF
9. Gardner/Melky CF

were is matsui , he is there dh right now and he is not going in the field and they are going to start him , unless they trade him ( he does have a no trade clause)?

whitesoxfan83
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
you guys should know swisher cant play RF for ****...

NYSPORTS4LIFE
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM

1. Damon LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Rodriguez 3B
4. Ramirez DH
5. Teixeira 1B
6. Posada C
7. Cano 2B
8. Swisher RF
9. Gardner/Melky CF

And What about MATSUI??? $13M down the drain?

The only way they get Manny is if they trade Matsui and Nady/Swisher. The only way you can trade Matsui is for him to prove he's heathly and productive. So unless they deal Matsui in Spring Training (very unlikely) and Manny is still unsigned at that point (even more unlikely), Manny Ramirez will not be in pinstripes next season.

YankeesR#2
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
As a Red Sox fan I find this news really depressing.

The Dodgers could sign both Dunn and Abreau for 25 million a year.

The only team that needs Manny more than the Dodgers is the Yankees and they are too dumb to realize it. Right now they have a 200 million dollar payroll and an outfield of Damon, Cabrera and Nady - the worst in the division.

Too bad the Red Sox can't make a deal with the Mets and offer to pay some of Manny's salary if they would sign him.

EricU812
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm having a hard time believing Manny will be a Yankee as well.

goldglove212
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
wow..

play one year get paid 25 million. Rake like he did in the second half of last year, hit FA again get a 3 year deal for big money, then at the end of that ride off into the sunset for 5 years then get inducted into cooperstown..

stupid call on Manny's part

nyybronxborn
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
you guys should know swisher cant play RF for ****...

dont believe that for a second

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
11:39am: Espn's buster olney says the dodgers are considering their manny alternatives, including going after hudson and dunn.

mlbtr

S.P.
02-03-2009, 01:56 PM
The whole thing is Manny wanted a 4 year deal. So the Dodgers offer one year, less than the previous offer of two? I thought they'd offer 3 and meet in the middle.

There is no way Manny would accept one, and LAD knew it. They want to portray as if they are making an effort.

I'm not defending Mannys decision, but if he said 2 years was not enough, then you come back and offer him one.......well......

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
11:39am: Espn's buster olney says the dodgers are considering their manny alternatives, including going after hudson and dunn.

mlbtr

Living Legend
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I have a strange feeling that this is it.

He will not be a Dodger.

That was the Final offer.

They will get Adam Dunn + SP + RP instead

Manny and Boras are just floundering right now

Living Legend
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah a guy that only plays when he wants to and a guy who will only play 40 games with his bad back:rolleyes:

How do you turn down a 25 million dollar offer? for one year? This could come backto haunt him, but Im guessing he is in discussions with some other team to be able to turn down that offer.

Yea Maybe.

FWBrodie
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Because Scott Boras has them by the balls.

Gigantes4Life
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Dodgers don't get him, I'm happy.

Giants don't get him, I'm still happy.

THINKBLUE15
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Because Scott Boras has them by the balls.

You are joking right? If anything, we have Boras by the balls. Nobody else has offered him a contract, and we put this offer out as a slap in the face to their party. We can get Dunn, Hudson, and a starter for less/equal money, and still win the division. We don't mind moving on. Manny is the one in a tough situation. Not us. Boras has Zero leverage, as much as he likes to claim he does.

We won't offer him 3 years unless we have to. The Giants stated that they will offer 2 years MAX. We will top that. The Mets don't want him for more than 1 year, maybe two if the price is right. We will top that. The Yankees are always a possibility, but at this point, they need to deal an OF or two to bring Manny in.

The Dodgers are still the favorite. At this point, I don't really care. In this division, I wouldn't mind getting more bang for our buck with Hudson, Dunn, and a 1-2 starters.

buckeye
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Based on the MLB agreement the Yanks can't sign another A or B level FA. Something about percentage of available FAs that limits the Yanks to 3 and that ship has sailed. So unless there is some special ruling by Selig which is highly doubtful its over.

leiasgoldbikini
02-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Based on the MLB agreement the Yanks can't sign another A or B level FA. Something about percentage of available FAs that limits the Yanks to 3 and that ship has sailed. So unless there is some special ruling by Selig which is highly doubtful its over.

No, it's like 7 or something. They can sign whoever they want still.

misterd
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
That would definitely be interesting, since there's no baseball team there.

Your point?

This f*cktard had one the games biggest stages to strut on, a chance to shine in one of its brightest lights, and he pissed all over it in a display of immaturity that is remarkable even for a player of his reputation. He deserves to spend a year in the graveyard of the most forsaken team ever to take the field.

Let him rot in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a bunch of hockey lovers, and maybe he'll learn to appreciate what he had.

This son of a ***** bailed on his team in the middle of a f*cking pennant race, all because he decided he didn't like the contract that: a) he agreed to, b) made him richer than any number of small countries, and c) earned him two world series rings and a guaranteed spot in Cooperstown.

I agree with Gammons (?) - what he did was worse than the 'roid users. Those guys, at least, did what they did to remain competitive and win. They did it WRONG, maybe, but they never deliberately betrayed their team on the field.

Screw him. Screw his contract. He deserves nothing.

dre1990
02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
They need to understand without manny theirs no playoffs, the dodgers just need to pay the price

laxtonto
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
There is no way Manny gets 25M per for multiple years. He has turned down 2/45M, 1/25M and arbitration. If the Dodgers drop out he will be lucky to get more than 17M per for 2 years from anybody.

From the Dodgers perspective I would sign Dunn, Hudson and Wolf and trade both Hu and Dewitt for another younger starter.

With Dunn in the OF and Hudson in the IF, the defense would stay roughly the same, if not slightly improved. The rotation would get an added boost and the team would still remain around if not under budget.

The real question would be who to send Hu and Dewit to. Balt might be an option for Hu, and the Twins a possible destination for Dewit at 3B. Would the return from those 2 players plus another prospect from the Dodger be enough to acquire a mid tier SP?

PaleHose
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Peeing on contracts is just Manny being Manny. Duh!

Rampage132
02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
That's a great way to put it...

The L Train
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
manny deserves AT A MINIMUM 2/60, and i mean thats the absolute rock bottom he should accept... he has proven he is worth as much as any player in the game today, and the dodgers and red sox are both ridiculous organizations for letting him get away...

1 year 25 mil is a slap in the face to manny, and to anyone who has ever seen the guy play, especially after what he did for the dodgers...

boston and LA arent going anywhere without manny

07MVPPatBurrell
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
wow. pissed on the contract. sounds like something moises alou would do.

brandonwarne52
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah. It's now parchment.

brandonwarne52
02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
manny deserves AT A MINIMUM 2/60, and i mean thats the absolute rock bottom he should accept... he has proven he is worth as much as any player in the game today, and the dodgers and red sox are both ridiculous organizations for letting him get away...

1 year 25 mil is a slap in the face to manny, and to anyone who has ever seen the guy play, especially after what he did for the dodgers...

I'm about as liberal as they come when it comes to how much players 'deserve', but I'm not buying this.

THINKBLUE15
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM

Joking right? Boston is one of the best teams in the league, and actually even better now than they were with Manny.

The Dodgers not going far without Manny is realistic. They would probobly squeek into the playoffs only to be sweped in the first round.

The L Train
02-04-2009, 12:43 AM
boston is in no way better than they were with manny... they have 0 RINGS before or after manny... jason bay will NEVER bring a championship to boston, quote me...

DodgerLove
02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
hahaha 2 years 60 million?

tooch
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM
the red sox will be just fine with out manny, they made it to the playoffs with out him.
as for the dodgers if they dont get manny they will prob get dunn and hudson and they will also do good

zambo4president
02-04-2009, 01:08 AM
"Manny has ripped the Dodgers' contract offer out of Colletti's hands and pissed on it."

Wait, this took place inside the Green Monster?

Hahaha maybe Manny was the one who pissed on Matt Cassell! :laugh:

The L Train
02-04-2009, 02:53 AM
the red sox will be just fine with out manny, they made it to the playoffs with out him.
as for the dodgers if they dont get manny they will prob get dunn and hudson and they will also do good

neither the red sox or the dodgers will win a world series without manny... maybe someday, but not during manny's career...

Living Legend
02-04-2009, 02:57 AM
There is one thing we have all learned from this situation.

Manny is too good for everybody.

JHG722
02-04-2009, 03:10 AM
nevermind

DeadMemories
02-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Boras says they'll continue talks on Wednesday.