PDA

View Full Version : Do the O's have the best OF in baseball?

bmurphy28
02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Call me a homer, but I don't see a better outfield in baseball.

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

The jury is still out on Pie but Jones is on his way to something special and Markakis is incredible. If nothing else we will have the best defensive OF in basebal.

bartoron
02-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd say no. Adam Jones has been terrible in the majors so far and wasn't exactly a stud in the minors. Felix Pie is... bad.

TheShock45
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
there like barely in 10th sooo they really dont even deserve a thread asking this
i would see maybe if they were top 3 you asking this question but there not even close its not even funny

sacgiants1213
02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
maybe best future outfield, but currently not even close. This is if Pie and Jones both pan out.

bmurphy28
02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd say no. Adam Jones has been terrible in the majors so far and wasn't exactly a stud in the minors. Felix Pie is... bad.

i wouldn't go that far

IRUAM #21
02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe in a couple years, that outfield definitely has potential.

TheShock45
02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
haha i like how you said call you a homer hahaha i think this is andy macphail posting on this site ahaha

CarniifeX
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Maybe best young outfield, but certainly not the best outfield.

JHG722
Um, we (Phillies) have a better OF by a good amount, and ours is probably top 10 at best...

07MVPPatBurrell
no way. boston owns them with ellsbury bay and drew. tampa with upton crawford and anyone. at best they are 3rd in their divison

yahmez88
02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
no, there are better.

Dauber4MVP
02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
hell id say there 4th in the divsion... lind, rios and wells are even better, I think this thread is pointless...

Epic89
02-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Best outfield presently is Bay, Ellsbury, Drew.

Tom Servo
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Defensively, quite possibly, but I think you're expecting a hell of a lot offensively from two thirds of the outfield.

Pie and Jones both have negative offensive value career-wise, as well as last year.

MooseWithFleas
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
If the Dodgers retain Manny, then its definetley Manny/Kemp/Ethier

bcransom
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
The Dodgers definitely if they keep Manny. Same with the Gigantes.

bartoron
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
If the Dodgers retain Manny, then its definetley Manny/Kemp/Ethier

Even if the retain Manny, I'd rather have the Red Sox outfield. It's close, but I still believe in Bay. :(

One Nut Kruk
02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Time to take off the orange and black goggles dude.

Bo Sox Fan
02-02-2009, 10:00 PM
are you kidding me? the orioles are the worst team in baseball, there outfield isn't even in the same league with teams such as the red sox, angels, dodgers (with manny) lol, there really must be nothing to talk about these days

ThisIsTheYear
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Maybe the outfield with the most potential. Not the best.

Muttman73
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Are you serious?

mark1125
02-02-2009, 10:31 PM
If defense isn't factored in, Detroit's 2009 OF looks good.

Guillen, Granderson, Ordonez.

Boston, TB, Philly, and others are better.

You said it yourself: "The jury is still out" and "on his way". How often is it that potential goes unfulfilled? I love Markakis, but I think Pie is EXTREMELY over rated as a prospect.

DirtyThirty
02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
come on bmurph i thought you were a smart man, just convert and be a red sox fan.... and you wouldnt have to post threads like these.

bartoron
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
If defense isn't factored in, Detroit's 2009 OF looks good.

Guillen, Granderson, Ordonez.

Boston, TB, Philly, and others are better.

You said it yourself: "The jury is still out" and "on his way". How often is it that potential goes unfulfilled? I love Markakis, but I think Pie is EXTREMELY over rated as a prospect.

I agree with the Tigers having a good outfield. Granderson and Ordonez are both very good hitters. I'm wondering, though, what makes you think that Guillen will be in the outfield? He's only played 2 games in the outfield in his entire career.

tsb77
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
not even the best OF in the east

mark1125
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I agree with the Tigers having a good outfield. Granderson and Ordonez are both very good hitters. I'm wondering, though, what makes you think that Guillen will be in the outfield? He's only played 2 games in the outfield in his entire career.

The Tigers have this train wreck in waiting idea of playing Guillen in LF this year. They want Inge's glove at 3B and Cabrera is at first. With the trade of Matt Joyce to TB, Guillen is the LF by default. Unfortunately, he WILL get hurt out there. He is a DH at this point, and the Tigers will not dump Sheffield.

whitesoxfan83
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
yanks have a better outfield matsui/swisher damon nady
rays have a better outfield crawford upton joyce/perez
red sox have a better outfield bay ellsbury drew
toronto has a better outfield lind wells rios

the o's argubly dont even have the best potential outfield.

sooo

NO

they dont

Testaverde16
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Maybe a top notch prospect/ minor league OF, but that is a homer pick.

Markakis is great, but Jones sucked last year and Pie has done nothing credible. It is possible that it will be in like 2011, though. As for now, however, it looks like you should've kept Luke Scott.

Twitchy
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
You mean the DeJesus/Guillen/Crisp OF isn't the best :rolleyes:?

You could probably make the argument that a Ludwick/Ankiel/Rasmus OF is one of the better ones. I personally like the CC/Upton/Joyce OF.

bloodhawk
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
maybe in 3 years...maybe...

donnie23
02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Even if the retain Manny, I'd rather have the Red Sox outfield. It's close, but I still believe in Bay. :(

Manny is better than Bay, Kemp is better than Ellsbury and Ethier better than Drew. The Dodgers would have the best OF if you overweight offense. Most OFs have 2 solid players and a question mark. I don't know why it just seems that way. The Yankees have the best infield running away. Phillies are a distant second!

JHG722
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I dont even think the Yankees' infield is better...

mnrlgry
02-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Ludwick-Ankeil and possibly Ramus who is a top 10 prospect will be one of the best in 09

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Call me a homer

OK... HOMER!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jmb8311
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
I bet that outfield will be freakin sweet in the sixth year of my MLB 2K9 dynasty...

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I dont even think the Yankees' infield is better...

Arod, Teixeira, Cano, Jeter is probably tops in the league all around

Arod - Great offense / Above Average Defense

Jeter - Average offense / below average defense

Cano - Above average offense / Average defense

Teixiera - Above average offense / Great defense

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-03-2009, 01:01 AM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

The jury is still out on Pie but Jones is on his way to something special and Markakis is incredible. If nothing else we will have the best defensive OF in basebal.

Honestly, it's good to see Baltimore fans excited, but it's not even a top five. Markakis is one of the best up and coming Right fielders in the game though easily. Not to be boasting but even Bay, Ellsbury, Drew put up better numbers as an outfield. Shrugs I'm sure there's a few better than that as well.

Rodney Stuckey
02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
hell id say there 4th in the divsion... Lind, rios and wells are even better, i think this thread is pointless...

+1

Sport
02-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I dont like to bash guys, but really? I would take every outfield in there division over them.

Pie is garbage and Adam Jones hasnt been nearly as good as expected.

For me, its the Angels/Red Sox/Dodgers in no particular order.

JHG722
02-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Arod, Teixeira, Cano, Jeter is probably tops in the league all around

Arod - Great offense / Above Average Defense

Jeter - Average offense / below average defense

Cano - Above average offense / Average defense

Teixiera - Above average offense / Great defense

Yes, but the Phillies' infield is entirely comparable, and isn't blown out by the Yankees'.

hawk88
02-03-2009, 01:13 AM
no one mentioned the cubs i dont think with soriano, johnson and bradley

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Yes, but the Phillies' infield is entirely comparable, and isn't blown out by the Yankees'.

Ill take the Yankees over the Phillies. But its just about equal.

JHG722
02-03-2009, 01:15 AM

It's pretty sad you dont know your own team's OF...

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Fukudome is the CF in Chitown

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM

Really?

... there's a reason that no one mentioned the Cubs in this conversation

hawk88
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
It's pretty sad you dont know your own team's OF...

its funny cuz i do know my teams outfield. lemme know who gets more starts in CF in 09. wont be fuku.

Kyle916
02-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Crawford
Upton
Joyce

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 01:22 AM

I'm definitely not a Cubs fan, however their CF situation is currently a platoon of Kosuke Fukudome, Reed Johnson, and Joey Gathright. If you follow Chicago sports, then you know that a large portion of the Cubs fan base currently views Fukudome as a bust.

JHG722
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
its funny cuz i do know my teams outfield. lemme know who gets more starts in CF in 09. wont be fuku.

Oh okay, so he's being paid $7,000,000 to be a back up outfielder, right. He's still the 'starter'.

Run Gardner Run
02-03-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm definitely not a Cubs fan, however their CF situation is currently a platoon of Kosuke Fukudome, Reed Johnson, and Joey Gathright. If you follow Chicago sports, then you know that a large portion of the Cubs fan base currently views Fukudome as a bust.

Cubs fans can hate him all they want. Wont restructure his contract to make him a backup though

hawk88
02-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Oh okay, so he's being paid $7,000,000 to be a back up outfielder, right. He's still the 'starter'.

7 mil to bat .257 with an ops of .738. that wont last long no matter what hes getting paid. lou's not gonna deal with .257 for another year, he will move on. like i said, johnson will have more games played and AB's in CF and will be the starter

JHG722
02-03-2009, 01:30 AM
7 mil to bat .257 with an ops of .738. that wont last long no matter what hes getting paid. lou's not gonna deal with .257 for another year, he will move on. like i said, johnson will have more games played and AB's in CF and will be the starter

Yes, but as of now, Fukudome is the starter, and regardless if it's him or RJ, I dont think the Cubs have the best OF.

hawk88
02-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Yes, but as of now, Fukudome is the starter, and regardless if it's him or RJ, I dont think the Cubs have the best OF.

alright, its at least the 6th best. soriano and bradley arent slouches.

RockStrongo
02-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe the best outfield in fantasy land. Pie will be lucky to be above the Mendoza line in the pitching rich AL east. Did you intend this thread to read "Does Baltimore have the best defensive OF in baseball?"

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 01:40 AM
alright, its at least the 6th best. soriano and bradley arent slouches.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Based on your reasoning I should feel warranted to throw the White Sox outfield into the mix with Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, and a similar giant question mark in CF... but I won't because I know better.

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Maybe the best outfield in fantasy land. Pie will be lucky to be above the Mendoza line in the pitching rich AL east. Did you intend this thread to read "Does Baltimore have the best defensive OF in baseball?"

That would've made A LOT more sense...

bmurphy28
02-03-2009, 01:52 AM

honestly thast waswhat I meant and i am getting bashed now lol

bmurphy28
02-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Maybe a top notch prospect/ minor league OF, but that is a homer pick.

Markakis is great, but Jones sucked last year and Pie has done nothing credible. It is possible that it will be in like 2011, though. As for now, however, it looks like you should've kept Luke Scott.

Luke is still there

ShinobiNYC
02-03-2009, 01:54 AM
The Tigers have the best OF, Ordonez-Granderson-Guillen.

THINKBLUE15
02-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Who are the 6 that said yes?

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Who are the 6 that said yes?

All Orioles fans... or actual Orioles players themselves.

Sport
02-03-2009, 03:15 AM
The Tigers have the best OF, Ordonez-Granderson-Guillen.

2 out of 3 aint bad.

I mean, I would love to have a former 3rd, SS, 2nd and 1st baseman play left field on my team.

Guillen sucks more balls than Paris Hilton at Ludacris concert.

CY24
02-03-2009, 03:19 AM
not even best young outfield. I'd take Jackson, Young, Upton over that and I'd take Upton, Crawford, Burrel.

downsos
02-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Red Sox with Bay, Ellsbury, and Drew(when healthy) is the best OF.

PaleHose
02-03-2009, 03:35 AM
not even best young outfield. I'd take Jackson, Young, Upton over that and I'd take Upton, Crawford, Burrel.

*Upton, Crawford, and either Matt Joyce or Gabe Gross

Burrell will be the Rays DH...

kmoneyjuice
02-03-2009, 03:59 AM
They might have the best OF in the city of Baltimore...when not playing another pro team.

stipe1280
02-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Yep, I wouldn't say the O's have the best OF in baseball at all.

While my Rangers probably don't have the #1 OF in baseball, I'd put ours in the top 5. Obviously, everyone knows about Josh Hamilton, but David Murphy was on a tear before being injured (led the league in doubles, had a .300+ BA, and was in double digit HR's before all-star break) last season, and Nelson Cruz finally matured a bit at the end of the season (ending up hitting .330/7HR in just 115 AB's). Add in Marlon Byrd (a .298 hitter) a very young, promising Brandon Boggs, and two top OF prospects in Beltre and Bourbon and I'd say we look very good.

YankeesR#2
02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
hell id say there 4th in the divsion... lind, rios and wells are even better, I think this thread is pointless...

I agree which would make the Yankees the fifth best outfield in the division.

It's incredible that a team can have a 200 million payroll and end up with an outfield of Damon, Cabrera, and Nady.

Which is why I think they will sign Manny. They have to just like they had to sign Texeira. They could end up signing both Manny and Rodriguez if Posada can't catch anymore.

On the other hand they might have one of the best infields of all time. They could have three hall of famers with the fourth, Cano, with hall of fame ability.

Ten years from now you might look back on the Orioles outfield and say they had the best in the division but they are all potential now, they really haven't accomplished anything yet.

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 07:56 AM
hell no, you are a homer obvs.

in 3 years, they MIGHT have a top 3 outfield.

teams with better Of's: Toronto, Dodgers, Rays, Cubs, and some others.....

vermilion53
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
NO this is a ridiculious statement. If their outfield is so good why aren't they putting up numbers? Felix Pie ended up getting replaced by Adam Scott by the end of the year anyways. Adam Jones was overhyped. And probably never will produce. An outfield that is worth looking at is the Twins. They are young and at least in the top five for outfields in the MLB.

CF. Carlos Gomez
LF. Delmon Young
RF. Denard Span

In a couple years look out MLB.

redwhitenblue
02-03-2009, 08:10 AM
They're platooning actually, Johnson vs LHP and Fukudome vs RHP
Really?

... there's a reason that no one mentioned the Cubs in this conversation Considering some of the OF's mentioned so far, Johnson isn't close to the worst CF in the bunch.

redwhitenblue
02-03-2009, 08:12 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Based on your reasoning I should feel warranted to throw the White Sox outfield into the mix with Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, and a similar giant question mark in CF... but I won't because I know better.
There isn't nearly the question mark though, the Cubs can be sure of a .750+ OPS from CF and spectacular defense from Fukudome...who was IIRC the best defensive RF in all of baseball last year.

The Cubs aren't the best, but they're certainly in the 2nd tier just below the exceptional few.

redwhitenblue
02-03-2009, 08:14 AM
2 out of 3 aint bad.

I mean, I would love to have a former 3rd, SS, 2nd and 1st baseman play left field on my team.

The same Carlos Guillen with a career .360/.450 OBP/SLG?

THAT sucks? If that sucks then SD's OF is the equivalent of a junior high tee-ball league.

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
NO this is a ridiculious statement. If their outfield is so good why aren't they putting up numbers? Felix Pie ended up getting replaced by Adam Scott by the end of the year anyways. Adam Jones was overhyped. And probably never will produce. An outfield that is worth looking at is the Twins. They are young and at least in the top five for outfields in the MLB.

CF. Carlos Gomez
LF. Delmon Young
RF. Denard Span

In a couple years look out MLB.

i aree, they will be so amazing in 2 years....lets just hope the Twins hold onto them

Gunzito22
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Boston and NY have better offensive outfield, and TB and possibly Boston have better defensive outfields...

I would say that Washington (Milledge, Dukes, Willingham) has a better defensive outfield than Baltimore... so no, the O's do not even have the best outfield in their own market...

phila_gorilla
02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Useless thread. Did you really expect anyone to say yes? Let's see who has a better OF:

Just about every team in the MLB. O's are sorry.

terp12354
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Best outfield? hell no.....best potential outfield maybe. Best defensive outfield probably. Despite all the un proven guys, jones and pie, they can both fly and cover tons of space. And so can Markakis as well as lead the league in fielding percentage and outfield assists. How he didn't get a gold glove is absurd. And all these people knocking adam jones.....i'm not sure why. Last year was his offical rookie year...at 23 yrs old and he hit .270 with 57 RBI and 10 homeruns in 130 games, hitting in the botto mof a crappy lienu with lousi hernandex to protect him. I'll take that any day of the week from a 23 yr old rookie. Plus, if you take out the first 2 months when he was gettign adjusted he hit, .323 in june, .280 in july,.455 in august before going down with injury. Through in soem awesome range and good arm in center and he looks like he will be pretty good

poodski
02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I think the three best are the Red Sox, Devil Rays and my personal favorite the Seattle Mariners.

Ian.
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Best outfield? hell no.....best potential outfield maybe. Best defensive outfield probably. Despite all the un proven guys, jones and pie, they can both fly and cover tons of space. And so can Markakis as well as lead the league in fielding percentage and outfield assists. How he didn't get a gold glove is absurd. And all these people knocking adam jones.....i'm not sure why. Last year was his offical rookie year...at 23 yrs old and he hit .270 with 57 RBI and 10 homeruns in 130 games, hitting in the botto mof a crappy lienu with lousi hernandex to protect him. I'll take that any day of the week from a 23 yr old rookie. Plus, if you take out the first 2 months when he was gettign adjusted he hit, .323 in june, .280 in july,.455 in august before going down with injury. Through in soem awesome range and good arm in center and he looks like he will be pretty good

Not even the best defensive OF. I know I'm picking my own team, but how can you argue them being better than Ichiro, Gutierrez and Endy Chavez?

I guess I can understand. You referred to Markakis' high fielding percentage and assists as the reason he's a good defender. Nevermind the range factoring in this at all.

Here's a few comparisons:

Nick Markakis: 162 G, .991 FP, 17 Assists, 3.6 UZR
Franklin Gutierrez: 97 G, .991 FP, 4 Assists, 17.4 UZR
Jacoby Ellsbury: 160 G, 1.00 FP, 4 Assists, 17.5 UZR
Carl Crawford: 109 G, .983, 2 Assists, 21.5 UZR

None of these guys won the GG for the OF in 2008. Markakis' range isn't comparable to any of these guys. I am more than positive I could continue.....

Who'd you rather have in your OF.....A guy who can get to any fly ball within a 40 (just using these numbers figuratively) foot radius and have a high fielding percentage or a guy who can get to any fly ball in a 60 foot radius and have a slightly lower fielding percentage?

Please, give it some thought and get back to us.

I think the three best are the Red Sox, Devil Rays and my personal favorite the Seattle Mariners.

:clap:

The guy's not even a Mariner's fan......

Teufelshunde4
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Pie isnt all that he is cracked up to be. He has got a load of talent but doesnt do much with that talent. But we have seen his type many a time before.

Pie has been the most overhyped Cubs prospect for the last decade. He bumped the future HOF Bobby Hill out of the spot last season.
For 4 long years Cubs fans were telling everyone how close to the Big Leagues this kid was.
You know this kid is a bust when the Cubs blow 48 million on Fukudome.

Ian.
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Pie isnt all that he is cracked up to be. He has got a load of talent but doesnt do much with that talent. But we have seen his type many a time before.

Pie has been the most overhyped Cubs prospect for the last decade. He bumped the future HOF Bobby Hill out of the spot last season.
For 4 long years Cubs fans were telling everyone how close to the Big Leagues this kid was.

Or just how bad the Cubs FO is.

poodski
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Cubs signed Fukudome to play RF, not CF. Fukudome's contract has nothing to do with Pie.

Or just how bad the Cubs FO is.

Meh, Pie is at best a platoon OF with plus defense. To me he has shown no promise at the MLB level, and I doubt will ever be able to hit LHP for any sort of production.

donnie23
02-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Offensively

A-Rod > Utley
Teixeira > Howard
Rollins > Jeter
Cano > Feliz

So your third best offensive infielder is better than our third best offensive infielder. Howard is great but strikes out way too much! Utley is amazing but A-Rod is a little more amazing. Defensively you have a better SS, 3B, and 2B so you get the nod there but I think we were talking offense (hence Manny).

harborboy
02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
haha i like how you said call you a homer hahaha i think this is andy macphail posting on this site ahaha

in chicago its spelled McFail...

Billy Griffin
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Best outfield presently is Bay, Ellsbury, Drew.

Elsberry, Bay and Drew maybe great hitters...and the Phillies have a great infield and pitching staff...
not an exceptional outfield.
but neither can touch the Orioles' new speed deamons and those cannon arms of Pie, Jones and Markakis......priceless!!

hammerinhank
02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I cant believe nobody has even mentioned the Brewers or Astros

Braun/Cameron/Hart or Lee/Bourn/Pence (even though Bourn does suck)

ShinobiNYC
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
2 out of 3 aint bad.

Well I was talking offensively here. He did average a 125 OPS+ the last 3 years.

ShinobiNYC
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Why so many are mentioning Boston? Ellsbury had a 87 OPS+ last year.

hammerinhank
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
As mentioned in my previous post here is my selection for best OF

Braun – 37hr/106rbi/14sb/.285/.335/.553/128ops+
Cameron – 25hr/70rbi/17sb/.243/.331/.477/110ops+
Hart – 20hr/91rbi/23sb/.268/.300/.459/96ops+

82 combined hr
54 combined sb

Thats a pretty nice combo of speed and power.

bartoron
02-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Because Jason Bay and J.D. Drew are both very good. Also, Ellsbury is very fast and was pretty good in the minors.

Bronxbombers182
02-03-2009, 01:57 PM
No way you can sat they have the best OF. The Rays have a better OF in my eyes.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-03-2009, 02:17 PM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

The jury is still out on Pie. Wait here they come back in with the verdict. Yep he sucks now, has potential, but still sucks now.

R. Johnson#3
02-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Jays outfield absolutely kills that outfield, that's about the only thing we got going for us.

LF:Lind/Snider
CF:Wells
RF:Rios

donnie23
02-03-2009, 02:34 PM

And he lost his job to Coco Crisp! Coco Crisp, he lost his job to a cereal!

The Intimidator
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow, 95 % voted no, 5 % voted yes. Can't say I didn't see that coming...:eyebrow:

Driven
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh God, no. The O's don't have anywhere close to the best outfield. Defensively, maybe.

But with Pie and Jones, you've got nothing but potential. Markakis is a stud but that's it.

Saltinuts40
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
no way. boston owns them with ellsbury bay and drew. tampa with upton crawford and anyone. at best they are 3rd in their divison

The Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Devil Rays all have a better outfield currently. The Orioles, if they re-sign all 3, could someday be the envy of the league, but that might take 4-5 years.

northsider
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow, 95 % voted no, 5 % voted yes. Can't say I didn't see that coming...:eyebrow:

Yeah I thought 1% was pushing it.

Kyle916
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
1) Tampa Bay

2) Toronto (if Wells get's to back to form; and Rios gets to the potential)

3) Minnesota

sboy2012
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

aww man, I wish you wouldn't have made this poll. You should know that besides Markakis no one is going to have anything good to say about the Orioles outfield. It's just not time for this poll. What have they done as a unit? They have never taken the field together. Myself, i think sky is the limit for these three young guys, but it is premature to rank them as anything. Pie isn't even a 100% lock to start in left. Jones has showed some skill, and has bulked up this offseason, but time will tell if he will reach potential.

bo2183
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
sorry man but I would have to disagree, altough markakis is a stud.. Felix pie will never be a good hitter. Great arm and speed but unable to use it cause he strikes out all the time. I dont know much bout adam jones but i did have him on my fantasy team last year and dropped him halfway thru season.. Go Cubs!!

SidTheKid
02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
No chance.

BowDown32
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
hahahaha

BowDown32
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Has anyone mentioned Anaheim yet... last year was not the best for all of them but both offensively and defensively these guys kill it. Who else compares (not O's, not Jay's, not even the BoSox can match this)

Torri, Vlady and Matthews Jr.

FloridaFrank
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Not close. Maybe the best OF within a 200 or 300 mile radius.

Super.
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
not really even close

not even the best OF in the AL East.....

Ian.
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Cubs signed Fukudome to play RF, not CF. Fukudome's contract has nothing to do with Pie.

Meh, Pie is at best a platoon OF with plus defense. To me he has shown no promise at the MLB level, and I doubt will ever be able to hit LHP for any sort of production.

I was referring to the fukudome signing, not Pie being moved.

scarletknight12
02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
felix pie is trash...(corey patterson repeat)

steamydumplings
02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
in a couple years maybe but not now

SnoopRock
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
How did this thread even get this far?????

whitesoxfan83
02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
this is most lopsided poll in the mlb forum history. id really like to know who voted O's tho. i still think they have the worst OF in the AL East.

keithm320
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Not in any particular order just all better then the O's

Red Sox, Blue Jays, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland, Phillies, Cubs, Brewers, Pittsburg, Dodgers

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
HAHAHHAAH 162 = NO.................8=YES

that is priceless

the O's only have the 3rd or 4th best OF in the Al East for god's sake

cambovenzi
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
hahahaa. poll is 8 to 163.
he might be on to something here guys:rolleyes:

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
i wish the poll was public so i could see who voted YES

EAGLES3658
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
No way.

bal_ravens
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Best defensively yes. And whoever said Adam Jones has been terrible in the majors is really an idiot. He played gold glove defense all year.

PhillyOwnsAll
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
orioles arent top 10 in anything haahahah

Young2Kinsler
02-03-2009, 09:01 PM
The Rangers OF is the best right now... Hamilton, Murphy, Cruz, Byrd

NYY NYJ NYK
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
No way.
But it has potential

Ian.
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Wrong

Young2Kinsler
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Wrong

Good arguement, tell me who matches their production offensively, not to mention they are one of the best defensive OF in baseball.

Ballah0liC1
02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
ankiel, ludwick, skip -got power, average, and D

Driven
02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Good arguement, tell me who matches their production offensively, not to mention they are one of the best defensive OF in baseball.
Going on last season, quite a few match them offensively. And Hell, I might say that even the O's have a better OF in 2009. Actually, I would take the O's OF over the Rangers.

Telios9
02-03-2009, 11:15 PM
no way

js0bel25
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
..is this a serious thread?

js0bel25
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
you should also create this one - do the O's have the best rotation in baseball as well

bartoron
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM

God, all this homerism really ticks me off.

Josh Hamilton is amazing, but Marlon Byrd is pretty average. Nelson Cruz has only played 176 games in his career, and David Murphy hasn't proved anything yet.

Matt-the-great
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM

hell no.....next you will say that Young and Kinsler were the best Ss-2b duo....

finally Young has been moved out of SS where i can't believe he has been alowed to play for so long....and his gold glove is a joke...it just shows how pathetic and idiotic the Gold Glove award is....

Driven
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
God, all this homerism really ticks me off.

Josh Hamilton is amazing, but Marlon Byrd is pretty average. Nelson Cruz has only played 176 games in his career, and David Murphy hasn't proved anything yet.
Byrd has sucked his entire career besides last season.

Young2Kinsler
02-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Byrd has sucked his entire career besides last season.

Wrong... that seems to be a good argument. While I know we probably don't have THE best, and I was making a homerish statement, we by far have a top 5 OF.

Matt-the-great
02-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Wrong... that seems to be a good argument. While I know we probably don't have THE best, and I was making a homerish statement, we by far have a top 5 OF.

i'm not trying to argue with you, i just have to point out the better Outfield's:

in no particular order:

Angels: Vlad, Hunter, Rivera
Rays: Upton, Joyce/Kapler, Crawford
Jays: Rios, Wells, Lind
Red Sox: Bay, Drew, Ellsbury
Twins: Span, Gomez, Young
Cubs: Bradley, Soriano, Fukudome/Johnson
Nationals: Dukes, Willingham, Milledge/Hopper

probably a couple more too

Ian.
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
i'm not trying to argue with you, i just have to point out the better Outfield's:

in no particular order:

Angels: Vlad, Hunter, Rivera
Rays: Upton, Joyce/Kapler, Crawford
Jays: Rios, Wells, Lind
Red Sox: Bay, Drew, Ellsbury
Twins: Span, Gomez, Young
Cubs: Bradley, Soriano, Fukudome/Johnson
Nationals: Dukes, Willingham, Milledge/Hopper

probably a couple more too

I'd easily take any of these teams over the Ranger's OF. Also the Dodgers (Manny signing or not,) Maybe Phillies.

Driven
02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Wrong what? Byrd has certainly been awful every single season he's played in except for the last two seasons. Hell, his road stats two years ago sucked as well, and last year they were acceptable at best.

Young2Kinsler
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Wrong what? Byrd has certainly been awful every single season he's played in except for the last two seasons. Hell, his road stats two years ago sucked as well, and last year they were acceptable at best.

NOW you say last two seasons, your first post said last season, which was wrong.

Driven
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
He had a .710 OPS on the road in 2007, it's not like he was great that year. He's a product of Arlington.

prodigy
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
my indians right now have a way better outfield then the o's.

WindyCitySox
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

These 3 were all top prospects and still have a lot of potential left in them. Sadly, Pie and Jones haven't come close to what they are capable of. They can be great players eventually.

That stated, HELL no the O's don't have the best OF.

WindyCitySox
02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, and I personally think the Rays, Twins and Angel's outfields are tops. Rays and Twins are the most intriguing because of their collective youth.

I'd love to be a homer here and say my White Sox, but we don't even know who's going to be in CF this year. Still, the power output from Quetin LF and Dye RF is probably unmatched by any other teams RF and LF.

Padres Son
02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
More importantly, do the Padres have the worst OF in baseball -- Headley/Gerut/Giles?

Is there a worse 3-some than that?

MelkyNYY
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
The O's Have one impact player in that outfield, Nick Markakis.

Grecs422
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Boston has the best

1Yankee4ever
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I hate to admit this but Boston's outfielders are better than the Orioles. Pie has to prove that he belongs to the MLB.

BRADY4MVP
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

NO..........NOT AT ALL..........red sox, rays and blue jays are all better

i know you're a homer, but c'mon

hammerinhank
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Im sticking with my vote of the Brewers.

Braun 37hr/106rbi/14sb/.285/.335/.553/128ops+
Cameron 25hr/70rbi/17sb/.243/.331/.477/110ops+
Hart 20hr/91rbi/23sb/.268/.300/.459/96ops+

cambovenzi
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Im sticking with my vote of the Brewers.

Braun 37hr/106rbi/14sb/.285/.335/.553/128ops+
Cameron 25hr/70rbi/17sb/.243/.331/.477/110ops+
Hart 20hr/91rbi/23sb/.268/.300/.459/96ops+

thats pretty weak actually, IMO.

even my team, the mets, match up favorably with that.
and im not going to walk around saying we have THE best OF.

both beltran and murphy had a better OPS+ than braun(your top guy).
tatis had a 123 OPS+,and church was above average at 106 OPS+ despite being busted up most of the year.

pinstripes27
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Worthless posting...Baltimore is not close to the best outfield. I came up with these better outfields without even researching it. Baltimore is the third best outfield in thier own division AT BEST!

Rays (Crawford, Upton, Joyce)
Jays (Wells, Rios, Snider/Lind)
D-Backs (Young, Upton, Byrnes)
Cubs (Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome)

You were right, you are a homer!

Gup
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
the O's definitely dont have the best OF

Gup
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I'd go with the Jays, hopefully Snider will come alive this year!

Adalbjorg
02-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Manny is better than Bay, Kemp is better than Ellsbury and Ethier better than Drew. The Dodgers would have the best OF if you overweight offense. Most OFs have 2 solid players and a question mark. I don't know why it just seems that way. The Yankees have the best infield running away. Phillies are a distant second!

Ethier is not better than Drew. Drew had a 137 OPS+ last year, 129 OPS+ over his career. Ethier had a 130 OPS+ last year, 116 OPS+ career.

And the Phillies infield is pretty close to the Yankees. They're much better up the middle, the Yankees are better at the corners.

degnor
02-04-2009, 02:02 PM
intelligent thread fail

Freel for prez
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Maybe best young outfield, but certainly not the best outfield.

exactly...

B2theRY
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
if healthy the jays have a better OF

LIND, WELLS, RIOS.

tymonic1
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
defensively i'd say top 3 at least...figure in the offensive numbers to date...not even close.potentially they could develope into one of the best OF but currently not even close.GO O"S

nyybronxborn
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
come on 195 to 9
thats bad

con_artist
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
:laugh:

Those results are hilarious

ai3theanswer
02-05-2009, 12:30 AM

LF- Felix Pie
CF- Adam Jones
RF- Nick Markakis

ok I will call you a homer. Pie sucks, Jones was an absolut disappointment, and Markakis is an above average player, far from incredible. The Royals have a better OF. Dejesus > Markakis

Grenadine
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say no. Off the top of my head I'd go with the Red Sox. Their outfielders had a combined OPS+ of 119 last year. The O's had a combined OPS+ of 94 last year.

Grenadine
02-05-2009, 12:42 AM
ok I will call you a homer. Pie sucks, Jones was an absolut disappointment, and Markakis is an above average player, far from incredible. The Royals have a better OF. Dejesus > Markakis

No, he really isn't.

Markakis 134 OPS+ > Dejesus 119 OPS+

BT601
02-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I would say they have the potential to be but not now cause jones and pie are still young and havent ever put up eye popping numbers...

I think adam jones can be great some day i'm also bias cause i was a mariners fan and really like him than bill bavasi the worst gm in the history of baseball tradded him and shereil and 2 prospects and 1 GOOD one for bedard who has done nothing

Driven
02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Rays (Crawford, Upton, Joyce)

I'm really curious why those three make a great OF. Crawford and Upton have potential, but I don't see either being great players.

Ian.
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm really curious why those three make a great OF. Crawford and Upton have potential, but I don't see either being great players.

I'm a huge fan of Crawford.

Crazy speed, crazy defense = winner.

todu82
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
No-Top 10-15 maybe but not #1.

hammerinhank
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
thats pretty weak actually, IMO.

even my team, the mets, match up favorably with that.
and im not going to walk around saying we have THE best OF.

both beltran and murphy had a better OPS+ than braun(your top guy).
tatis had a 123 OPS+,and church was above average at 106 OPS+ despite being busted up most of the year.

Thats great but besides Beltran not one of those guys played over 100 games. And Murphy played in less then 50 games so he should not even be mentioned in this argument. Thats like saying David Price is the best pitcher in the league beacuse he had a 230era+ last season.

Driven
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm a huge fan of Crawford.

Crazy speed, crazy defense = winner.
Crawford uses his speed well, but I don't really care about speed.

Crawford's just never been a great offensive player. He's put up a couple of really good years, but I wouldn't say that he's one of the league's best players... or anywhere close to that, really. He's a nice guy to have on your team, but not much more.

Joba Rules!!
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
The Royals have a better OF. Dejesus > Markakis

:laugh2:

Someone sig this please.

donnie23
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Ethier is not better than Drew. Drew had a 137 OPS+ last year, 129 OPS+ over his career. Ethier had a 130 OPS+ last year, 116 OPS+ career.

And the Phillies infield is pretty close to the Yankees. They're much better up the middle, the Yankees are better at the corners.

Yeah I wasn't going to say Ethier over Drew because I knew you would stat me. But ethier's health and age do make hime more desirable. Strictly offensively and assuming perfect health Drew is better, my bad. But the other two are better.

tymonic1
02-05-2009, 09:55 PM

jones was not a disappointment

SnoopRock
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Why is this still going on? Move this to the Orioles forum.

MJ-BULLS
02-05-2009, 10:10 PM
best outfield in baseball ? no

rpagz3
02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
The Astros have a pretty good outfield.. Lee, Bourn, Pence

Matt-the-great
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Crawford is over-rated, but still a pretty great player with the tools he has and Upton is and will be amazing.....not to mention how promising Joyce is....he had a Slg around .490 in his rookie year...

Matt-the-great
02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
The Astros have a pretty good outfield.. Lee, Bourn, Pence

not when it comes to getting on-base....

mikeman0000
02-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Offensively

A-Rod > Utley
Teixeira > Howard
Rollins > Jeter
Cano > Feliz

So your third best offensive infielder is better than our third best offensive infielder. Howard is great but strikes out way too much! Utley is amazing but A-Rod is a little more amazing. Defensively you have a better SS, 3B, and 2B so you get the nod there but I think we were talking offense (hence Manny).

Um..no.

How about you go Position by position?

1B- Ryan Howard or Mark Teixeria.

Considering the fact that one guy is the absolute most Prolific power hitter in the game, and when he bats .250 he'll still finish in the top 2 for MVP voting, the edge goes to Howard. Plus he's got a ring, where Tex doesn't.

2B- Chase Utley vs. Robinson Cano

Ok. Easy here, Cano compared to Utley isn't close.

3B- A-Rod vs Feliz

A-Rod's the best player in the game and Pedro isn't...sooo.

SS- Rollins vs. Jeter

The Edge goes to JRoll here, based on what he brings to the table outside of experience and leadership ( which he does have a good amount of)

Phils win this one.

johnnylee722
02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Phillies: Ibanez/Vic/Werth
Angels: Matthews/Hunter/Vald
Tigers: Guillen/Granderson/Maggs
D-Backs: Jackson/Young/Upton

Not in that order, but they are all better

Dcup
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I would take Braun, Cameron, and Hart over these 3 (orioles) any day.

cubsfanfw
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Why is this still going on? Move this to the Orioles forum.

x2...its time to move on.

Matt-the-great
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Um..no.

How about you go Position by position?

1B- Ryan Howard or Mark Teixeria.

Considering the fact that one guy is the absolute most Prolific power hitter in the game, and when he bats .250 he'll still finish in the top 2 for MVP voting, the edge goes to Howard. Plus he's got a ring, where Tex doesn't.

2B- Chase Utley vs. Robinson Cano

Ok. Easy here, Cano compared to Utley isn't close.

3B- A-Rod vs Feliz

A-Rod's the best player in the game and Pedro isn't...sooo.

SS- Rollins vs. Jeter

The Edge goes to JRoll here, based on what he brings to the table outside of experience and leadership ( which he does have a good amount of)

Phils win this one.

i give the edge to Tex.

he brings better overall offensive ability and much better defense.

Tex:
07- .306/.400/.563/ 150 ops+
08- .308/.410/.552/ 151 ops+

Howard:
07- .268/.392/.584/ 144 ops+
08- .251/.339/.543/ 124 ops+

Texeira is superiour, and will be for the rest of their careers.

ishouldbeagm
02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
phillies have the best outfield.......... but really ryan howard is better than mark teixira ya ok and lance bass is straight

rstwrt24
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I read about 6 pages and i didnt see anyone showing the Brewers any love. Braun, Cameron and Hart is solid

bartoron
02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I read about 6 pages and i didnt see anyone showing the Brewers any love. Braun, Cameron and Hart is solid

Then you missed the numerous posts mentioning the Brewers.