PDA

View Full Version : Pens in Need of a Playoff Push

SidTheKid
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Just when it appeared the Pittsburgh Penguins were about to resolve their inconsistent play, losses to the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs to close out the week have coach Michel Therrien and his boys back at the drawing board.

The defending Eastern Conference champions, 4-5-1 over their last 10 games, are currently 10th in East with 24 wins and 53 points. That's a far cry from the team that took the eventual Stanley Cup champion Red Wings to six games last spring.

The Pens, who have lost 204 man-games to injury this season, rank a disappointing 23rd in the League with a 3.02 goals against average. The team was 10th last season at 2.58. The combined 83 games missed by defensemen Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney certainly hasn't helped, but Whitney -- who leads the team with over 25 minutes of ice time per contest -- has 11 points and 10 assists in 19 games since returning on Dec. 23.

Gonchar, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, was just cleared today for contact and there is hope of a return in 2-3 weeks.

"We understand the purpose of the playoff push that we're facing all together," Therrien said. "The guys are very excited."

The Pens have an opportunity to recapture some of that old magic this week with four games on the docket, including a pretty intriguing tussle with the Red Wings on Sunday in the NBC Game of the Week. The Penguins will also visit Montreal on Tuesday, play home to Tampa Bay on Wednesday and host the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday.

"The next one is the most important one," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "It's gonna be like that all the way down the stretch here and it just gets tougher."

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=407354&page=NewsPage&service=page

nstachowski
02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Yea, we're not too far out, we just need to really pick it up.

ShaunRiching9
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
hopefully the return of Gonchar will spark us

t2a2e9j12
02-14-2009, 10:53 PM
I have and Idea rebuild for next year and get some gritt and leadership. GET PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY 60 MINUTES AND BACK CHECK AND PLAY DEFENSE OUT THIER. I have been a pens fan since 1984 I have seen some great teams and some horrible teams. The second was from lack of talent, never have I seen a team play with so little heart, energy, or gritt. I have seen the pens play 25 to 30 games this year and must say they act like they should win just because they have MALKIN and CROSBY. You can put the blame where ever you want the coach, lack of wingers, or even injuries. THE FACT IS THEY DON'T PLAY 60 MINUTES OR DEFENSE OR WITH THE HEART TO WIN MOST GAMES THEY JUST QUIT. I am and always will be a pens fan and will not give but I am very upset with the effort nite in and nite out. They need to out work thier opponents.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

t2a2e9j12
02-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I have and Idea rebuild for next year and get some gritt and leadership. GET PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY 60 MINUTES AND BACK CHECK AND PLAY DEFENSE OUT THIER. I have been a pens fan since 1984 I have seen some great teams and some horrible teams. The second was from lack of talent, never have I seen a team play with so little heart, energy, or gritt. I have seen the pens play 25 to 30 games this year and must say they act like they should win just because they have MALKIN and CROSBY. You can put the blame where ever you want the coach, lack of wingers, or even injuries. THE FACT IS THEY DON'T PLAY 60 MINUTES OR DEFENSE OR WITH THE HEART TO WIN MOST GAMES THEY JUST QUIT. I am and always will be a pens fan and will not give but I am very upset with the effort nite in and nite out. They need to out work thier opponents.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

yankees_boi
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
the penguins are terrible this year. if they make the playoffs they will just get swept by the bruins. they need to add some more offense to crosby and malkin because the offense is inconsistent and maybe get a better goalie, becuase fleury is also too inconsistent. and the way they blew the 2-0 lead tonite was just stupid. they cant do things like that if they will make the playoffs

statquo
02-14-2009, 11:26 PM
^^Fleury had like 40+ shots tonight. He played amazing, especially that save on Blake. The team tonight looked like they just wanted to go home. It was honestly one of the most obvious displays of quit I've seen in the show.

nstachowski
02-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Staal also needs to really pick it up and live up to his contract he just signed

SidTheKid
02-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Staal also needs to really pick it up and live up to his contract he just signed

Give him time.

Fletchman03
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
everyone is writing Staal off like he's a 10 year veteran and should be scoring 100 pts a season. Guys, hes only 20 years old!!! He's still got alot of growing up to do and will clearly get better as he gets older, no need to jump all over him. I agree, at this point of the season he should have more than 31 points, but lets face it, 99% of the team is in a funk, and who knows what is going to break us out of it. Whatever it is, lets hope they find it SOON

SidTheKid
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
everyone is writing Staal off like he's a 10 year veteran and should be scoring 100 pts a season. Guys, hes only 20 years old!!! He's still got alot of growing up to do and will clearly get better as he gets older, no need to jump all over him.

Thank you.