PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson's mindset

MoBASS
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, A.I. is in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career, and is actually being humbled quite a bit with the success of Denver and the lack thereof in Detroit.

It's abundantly clear to all observers (but is it to A.I. himself?) that his shot-first mentality is a detriment to the Pistons, especially with their style of play. In recent interviews A.I. doesn't seem to understand why the Pistons are losing games (4 in a row at home? c'mon now..), and thinks that they'll get it together by the Playoffs.

The way he is playing, they won't.

So my question is, why is it so difficult for a guy like A.I. to change his style of play? Why can't he focus on distributing the ball to his teammates, following the mold of a Chauncey Billups? It's not like he doesn't have the quickness and ball handling abilities to draw defenders and pass the ball to open teammates.

Is it an ego thing, or is he genuinely unable to play team-first basketball?

prash
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Unless he pull's a G.P. I don't think Iverson is going to be winning any Championships anytime soon.

JordansBulls
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Source: Freep (http://www.freep.com/article/20090202/SPORTS03/902020343/1051/SPORTS03/Iverson+seeks+to+be++focal+point+)

"I would love to be a focal part on the offensive end," he said. "That's where I've been all my career. And that's why I play the game. That's the type of competitor I am. In crucial situations, I want the ball in my hands. But like I've been saying all along: The calls they make, I trust my teammates and the coaching staff to be able to get us over the hump."

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok well the reason Detroit isn't winning ball games is cuz AI is trying to hard to fill that Chauncey Billups void, and that's not AI's game. Detroit needed that superstar and go-to guy in crunch time so he was braught to Detroit to be "Allen Iverson" *arguably the most prolific scorer in History* but, like I said he's trying to hard to fit in and that's why I beleive Detroit isn't winning right now.

AI has been playing good... he hasn't been playing like the AI we know but, he's still productive. IDK if I'm the only one who noticed but when Rip and Sheed were injured a few weeks ago, Detroit won 8 of 9 games. Detroit is now 3-9 since Rip and Sheed have returned

AI ISN'T THE PROBLEM

Drunk Kosar 19
02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
i hope the Piss-tons make the playoffs so lebron can spank them 4 and out

nyybronxborn
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
i hope the piston make the playoff so lebron can GET spanked BY them 4 and out

Chronz
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
He never took the time to develop his all-around game, people talk about LeBrons shooting but AI has been in the league forever and still hasnt learned to expand his range.

Missing56&33
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
This is AI's mindset in a nutshell. He was considered a franchise player in Philly. He played his heart out but felt he wasn't appreciated. He started to hate the game and city he once loved then he was traded. Once he got to Denver he felt the pressure just fall off his shoulders from the stress in Philly and was reborn again, so to speak. I felt he was happy and enjoyed playing basketball again out in Denver. I think he had no idea he was getting traded from Denver until the last minute. You move your family out there and your happy for once, then they tell you that its time to go your services are no longer needed(we cant win with you) another slap in the face.

AI is a great player but three teams possible more takes away from his legacy as being a franchise player, hes not in the same topic as Lebron, Wade, Carmello,Kobe anymore.

Hell, he may even land in NY for Marbury. :pity:

Lone Maverick
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
This is a pretty good question tbh. My guess would be that it is a confidence thing, maybe ego as well. Like he has so much confidence in his game that he thinks he can win anywhere playing his style doing it his way. I imagine that being 32 (I believe) makes him even more stuck in his ways.

MossIsBoss
02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
His ego does get in the way of him and the team. The Pistons would be so much better off if he got injured. He ruins chemistry, being able to work together is what wins. Talent is important but teams like the Spurs prove working as a team is more important.

Lakers4ItAll
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't that be a hit to the NBA

i hope the piston make the playoff so lebron can GET spanked BY them 4 and out

IndyRealist
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
AI is a master offensive player, a hall of famer. But he has to have a team built around his skills. In the Cavs/Pistons game, the commentators even said it. The rest of the team never knows when to expect a pass, because AI dribbles, and dribbles, and dribbles some more. He only passes the ball only when he thinks he's not going to get a shot, often with only 10 seconds or so left in the clock, leaving no time to run a play and forcing someone else to go isolation instead of playing team ball. Who's going to expend effort cutting to the basket when the ball handler isn't going to get you the ball?

He needs to be surrounded by defenders, rebounders, and 3pt shooters to succeed.

Lakers4ItAll
02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
AI has always been a great passer IMO

Lakersfan2483
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
AI is a master offensive player, a hall of famer. But he has to have a team built around his skills. In the Cavs/Pistons game, the commentators even said it. The rest of the team never knows when to expect a pass, because AI dribbles, and dribbles, and dribbles some more. He only passes the ball only when he thinks he's not going to get a shot, often with only 10 seconds or so left in the clock, leaving no time to run a play and forcing someone else to go isolation instead of playing team ball. Who's going to expend effort cutting to the basket when the ball handler isn't going to get you the ball?

He needs to be surrounded by defenders, rebounders, and 3pt shooters to succeed.

I definitely agree with everything you said, you summed up what type of player Iverson is and what type of team he needs to play on. His best years were in Philly where he was surrounded by role players and the offense was fit for his style of play...

*As far as why he can't adapt to a more team-oriented type of game, I think that is because he has never developed that type of game and he's not that type of player. He's better when he has a point guard who can bring the ball up and set him up and or the ball is in his hands and he can attack. He's strictly a shoot first type of player. He's one of the best scorers of all-time, but his style of play is not fit for a team with various all star caliber players.

ink
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
He just isn't wired to play team-first basketball. He can't do it just like you and I couldn't beat Usain Bolt over 10 metres, 20 metres, or 100 metres. He's not equipped.

Lakersfan2483
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
He never took the time to develop his all-around game, people talk about LeBrons shooting but AI has been in the league forever and still hasnt learned to expand his range.

Agreed, it's obvious he has not expanded his game, he's never developed the type of all-around game he should have at his current age.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Wat do you mean? what is he supposed to do better?

He plays his heart out on defense, he averaged a8 assists in his last years in Phili... no one player STILL cannot stop him on offense. you want him to grab 8 rebs a game?? Sorry but he's 6'0" tall, leBron even has trouble getting 8 bourds.

LA_cabals
02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Iverson is the type of player who needs a team that is built around him...

I wonder what Dumars was thinking when he decided to trade the one player on the team who was arguably the most important player in their system, Chauncey Billups. You just do NOT trade your floor general for another player with a COMPLETELY different set of skills. I just don't get it.

Anyhow, It is not Iverson's fault for playing any other way than he is playing now. This is what he knows. This is what made him the player he is today. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. And you know what? He's good at it. He can't follow the mold of Billups, because HE IS NOT BILLUPS.

The point guard, in most cases, controls the flow of the game for a team. With Billups gone they now need to adjust their game plan to match point guards' style of play.

Chronz
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Iverson is another Pistol Pete, great scorers but not a true winner like Billups.

Trouble87
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
This is AI's mindset in a nutshell. He was considered a franchise player in Philly. He played his heart out but felt he wasn't appreciated. He started to hate the game and city he once loved then he was traded. Once he got to Denver he felt the pressure just fall off his shoulders from the stress in Philly and was reborn again, so to speak. I felt he was happy and enjoyed playing basketball again out in Denver. I think he had no idea he was getting traded from Denver until the last minute. You move your family out there and your happy for once, then they tell you that its time to go your services are no longer needed(we cant win with you) another slap in the face.

AI is a great player but three teams possible more takes away from his legacy as being a franchise player, hes not in the same topic as Lebron, Wade, Carmello,Kobe anymore.

Hell, he may even land in NY for Marbury. :pity:

would that be a good or bad thing :confused:

JayW_1023
02-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Wat do you mean? what is he supposed to do better?

He plays his heart out on defense, he averaged a8 assists in his last years in Phili... no one player STILL cannot stop him on offense. you want him to grab 8 rebs a game?? Sorry but he's 6'0" tall, leBron even has trouble getting 8 bourds.

Baron Davis also averages lots of assists. Assists average is a poor barometer for how unselfish a player is.

AI only passes when he is denied opportunity to score or when it' counts as a direct assist. He isn't a willing passer.

07MVPPatBurrell
02-03-2009, 08:10 AM
ai isn't the problem

+1.

JJ81
02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
He's done