PDA

View Full Version : Players Out of Options - Who Do You Think May Become Available?

elephants
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/02/01/captain_caught_no_interest/?page=1

Interesting article, listing players out of options. Those I put in bold could be options for the Mets.

summed up:

With around 100 free agents vying for less than 20 remaining roster spots, things become more interesting with 227 players on big-league rosters who are out of options. If a player is out of options and is not rostered, he has to either be traded or designated for assignment. If designated, that player has to clear waivers. This could affect remaining free agent signings. Cafardo makes note of a few who are out of options and may wind up as trade fodder or designated for assignment before the season begins:

Red Sox: George Kottaras
Yankees: Melky Cabrera
Cubs: Chad Gaudin, Rich Hill (possibly heading to Baltimore?)
Brewers: Tony Gwynn Jr.
Indians: Anthony Reyes, Andy Marte
Twins: Boof Bonser, Philip Humber
Rays: Jeff Niemann
Orioles: David Pauley

Wrightw/Reyes19
02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
always loved the Melkman.

bobthemetsfan
02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Phil Humber is out of options and the Twins have a tough decision to make about whether he makes it up with the club. They are LOADED with starters.

Do you think he'd be a good choice for the Mets ...maybe to compete with Niese for that fifth spot?

He might be worth trading for (he was part of last year's Santana trade and has pitched well in the minors). :p

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/02/01/captain_caught_no_interest/?page=3

sportzboy5252
02-01-2009, 02:01 PM
haha... we should sign Humber to a minor-league contract, and then package him with F-Mart and some other mid-level prospects for Peavy... then sign Manny & Hudson, and this is what our team looks like:

1. Reyes, SS
2. Hudson, 2B
3. Wright, 3B
4. Manny, LF
5. Beltran, CF
6. Delgado, 1B
7. Church, RF
8. Schneider, C

and our rotation:
1. Johan
2. Peavy
3. Pelfrey
4. Maine
5. Redding/Garcia

That is championship quality! :drool:

I know its NEVER gonna happen, but still, Humber would go down in the Mets history books, for helping us bring in arguably the leagues two best pitchers!!

DieHardColtsfan
02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
haha... we should sign Humber to a minor-league contract, and then package him with F-Mart and some other mid-level prospects for Peavy... then sign Manny & Hudson, and this is what our team looks like:

1. Reyes, SS
2. Hudson, 2B
3. Wright, 3B
4. Manny, LF
5. Beltran, CF
6. Delgado, 1B
7. Church, RF
8. Schneider, C

and our rotation:
1. Johan
2. Peavy
3. Pelfrey
4. Maine
5. Redding/Garcia

That is championship quality! :drool:

I know its NEVER gonna happen, but still, Humber would go down in the Mets history books, for helping us bring in arguably the leagues two best pitchers!!

No Carlos Gomez Will, when and if you guys win a Championship

bobthemetsfan
02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
It seems somebody beat me to the tread. You can kill this one or combine it with the other one. I'd do it but I'm not sure how. Thanks, Bob

PC
02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing Humber back:p

jetsfan89
02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
i think omar would love to bring humber back if only to soften the loss of the prospects that were dealt. not neccessarily cause he's been good.

championmets
02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Actually at the end of the season humber showed some promise and it seemed like he was getting better. Remember it takes about a year to come back from his surgery and at about a year and a half later he started to show improvement, I could see him being a bullpen option

Santana4Prez'08
02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
haha... We should sign humber to a minor-league contract, and then package him with f-mart and some other mid-level prospects for peavy... Then sign manny & hudson, and this is what our team looks like:

1. Reyes, ss
2. Hudson, 2b
3. Wright, 3b
4. Manny, lf
5. Beltran, cf
6. Delgado, 1b
7. Church, rf
8. Schneider, c

and our rotation:
1. Johan
2. Peavy
3. Pelfrey
4. Maine
5. Redding/garcia

that is championship quality! :drool:

I know its never gonna happen, but still, humber would go down in the mets history books, for helping us bring in arguably the leagues two best pitchers!!

yes

Drucifer
02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Out Of Options 2009

by TIM DIERKES, MLB Trade Rumors

Our list of players who are out of options for 2009 (and who have less than five years service time). Out of options means these players have to clear waivers before being sent to the minors. Please let me know if you have additions for the list (a link is required).

Braves

Josh Anderson, Blaine Boyer, Anthony Lerew, Phil Stockman
Brewers

Tony Gwynn Jr.
Cubs

Angel Guzman, Chad Gaudin
Indians

Andy Marte, Anthony Reyes
Mariners

Ronny Cedeno, Franklin Gutierrez
Marlins

Robert Andino
Orioles

David Pauley, Hayden Penn, Dennis Sarfate, Scott Moore, Felix Pie, Jeremy Guthrie, Rich Hill
Pirates

Phil Dumatrait, Sean Burnett, Craig Hansen, Tyler Yates, Andy LaRoche, Brandon Moss
Rays

Jeff Niemann, Jason Hammel, Lance Cormier, Grant Balfour, Gabe Gross, Willy Aybar
Red Sox

Javier Lopez, Ramon Ramirez, Manny Delcarmen, Wes Littleton, George Kottaras
Tigers

Bobby Seay, Edwin Jackson, Macay McBride, Ramon Santiago, Mike Hessman, Marcus Thames
Twins

Boof Bonser, Philip Humber
White Sox

Jerry Owens
Yankees

Melky Cabrera

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/out-of-options.html

HOJO
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Niemann is very intriguing as a former #1 pick. But like the full article says, a lot of teams will probably be looking into him.

Drucifer
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
How many of those above aren't already on their team 25?

Sport
02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I really cant see us keeping Humber, unless we cook up a trade here in the next couple weeks.

JHG722
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I'd love the Phillies to get Niemann, Balfour, Ramirez and/or Thames.

Highcheese4U
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Melky is lucky he wasn't dealt already!.. esp after his dismal play last year...he'll be real lucky to pull that stunt again this year all the while hoping he's still in pinstripes! The only advantage he has is he's still fairly young and might still have some potential left..

WSU Tony
02-03-2009, 03:42 PM
And to think at one point Melky and Hughes was supposed to bring back Santana in return. Yikes. I'm surprised the Twins haven't traded Blackburn/Perkins AND Bonser/Humber for a 3b man this year. That would have gotten them a 3rd baseman and room to keep the odd man out of the Bonser/Humber deal.

I don't think the Twins will simply let Bonser or Humber walk, maybe they'll be traded for a promissing (but not spectacular) 'A' baller.

Cub_StuckinSTL
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I dont see Gaudin leaving the cubs

DJYankee
02-03-2009, 03:48 PM
NOT the melkman please don't take him away!!!

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I absolutely am a fan of Rich Hill, and Jeff Niemann, good to see that Hill went to a team that can use him. Why is Guthrie listed he's obviously their ace as of now. If someone can snag Niemann he's easily at least a great reliever in the near fuure.

Frank Costanza
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
is this the biggest yr for retirement? cause these are big name guys who will not report to a minor league team

Madtown343
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Would their be any interest in Tony Gwynn around the league if he doesnt have a spot in Milw?

dodgersuck
02-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Andy Marte->Giants

dodgersuck
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
haha no that was supposed to be an arrow, as in i want him to be traded to the giants

Lastcall
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/02/01/captain_caught_no_interest/?page=1

Interesting article, listing players out of options. Those I put in bold could be options for the Mets.

summed up:

With around 100 free agents vying for less than 20 remaining roster spots, things become more interesting with 227 players on big-league rosters who are out of options. If a player is out of options and is not rostered, he has to either be traded or designated for assignment. If designated, that player has to clear waivers. This could affect remaining free agent signings. Cafardo makes note of a few who are out of options and may wind up as trade fodder or designated for assignment before the season begins:

Red Sox: George Kottaras
Yankees: Melky Cabrera
Cubs: Chad Gaudin, Rich Hill (possibly heading to Baltimore?)
Brewers: Tony Gwynn Jr.
Indians: Anthony Reyes, Andy Marte
Twins: Boof Bonser, Philip Humber
Rays: Jeff Niemann
Orioles: David Pauley

Chad Gaudin of the Cubs will not be traded, at least not becasue he is out of options. He is a a mainstay in the bullpen and also a part time starter, he is assured a roster spot so take him out of this equation.

Lastcall
02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Would their be any interest in Tony Gwynn around the league if he doesnt have a spot in Milw?

For sure...he's the son of a Hall of Famer and he's still young..The Brewers more than likely will keep him on the roster no matter what...then trade him if necassary later, which I doubt they'll do. Too bad they trade LaPorta and didn't even get a 1st round compensation pick for Sabathia, then they probably would have used him as trade bait for someone other than Sabathia last year while still keeping LaPorta...baseball can be a funny game.