View Full Version : February's Forecast

LD V2.0
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
TORONTO RAPTORS (19-29), L10 (3-7)

Overall Ranking
Division: Last
Conference: 13th
League: 21st

Last place in the division, 3.5 games out of 8th seed and walking down court with a rookie coach at the helm, the Raptors are in waters that no one could have predicted. They stumble into February still with hope of a playoff spot, however, the schedule has a design which looks to be warming up the season’s final knockout punch.

* 6 Home: Magic, Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Knicks and T-Wolves
With an overall home record of 9-13 and four of the top five teams in the league coming to town things look gloomy. Home game wins are vital to all teams, especially those trying to claw back into the playoff picture. There is potential here for the Raptors to get shutout in all six as the Knicks and T-Wolves are finding their stride; 7-3 and 6-4 respectively in their last ten.
Best Case: 3-3
LD’s Prediction: 1-5

* 6 Away: Cavs, Hornets, T-Wolves, Knicks and Suns
With a road record of 10-16 and two top five teams on the schedule, the Raptors can wait to get on the road again...

Record for February: 2-10
I sense some hostile responses to this but things are tough in Raptorland and suddenly they’ve become even more difficult. Jay Triano and the boys face the Magic, Cavs, Lakers and Hornets in their next four games which I believe will set the tone for the rest of the month...A tone which will infuriate legions of Raptors fans and cause many to start paying attention to top fives in recent mock drafts.

stothek
02-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Agreed. On the bright side we'll have a top pick in the draft. I'm hoping we are able to pick up a wing that will have 15ppg potential.

ink
02-01-2009, 01:31 PM
We could make it to 4-8 if a few things go our way, but basically your post is bang on LD. It's just the way this year is shaping up. I agree that the draft pick and long-term future is the most important thing now. No short term fixes to salvage the season PLEASE. I can live with weak teams while we're rebuilding, but I can't stomach bad trades made in desperation. It's clear the roster needs a lot more than one or two trades can achieve.

I'm going with 4-8.

edit in: with a trade for a decent perimeter player, things change:

Then we could see the Raptors be competitive with teams like the Suns and Hornets. That means we could see a 6-6 record for the month, possibly better. But still, that should reinforce the idea that a season-saving trade attempt is not worth it this year. Giving up the trade assets we have so we can reach .500 for the month of February doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

jasondrobinson
02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
TORONTO RAPTORS (19-29), L10 (3-7)

Overall Ranking
Division: Last
Conference: 13th
League: 21st

Last place in the division, 3.5 games out of 8th seed and walking down court with a rookie coach at the helm, the Raptors are in waters that no one could have predicted. They stumble into February still with hope of a playoff spot, however, the schedule has a design which looks to be warming up the season’s final knockout punch.

* 6 Home: Magic, Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Knicks and T-Wolves
With an overall home record of 9-13 and four of the top five teams in the league coming to town things look gloomy. Home game wins are vital to all teams, especially those trying to claw back into the playoff picture. There is potential here for the Raptors to get shutout in all six as the Knicks and T-Wolves are finding their stride; 7-3 and 6-4 respectively in their last ten.

* 6 Away: Cavs, Hornets, T-Wolves, Knicks and Suns
With a road record of 10-16 and two top five teams on the schedule, the Raptors can wait to get on the road again...

Record for February: 2-10
I sense some hostile responses to this but things are tough in Raptorland and suddenly they’ve become even more difficult. Jay Triano and the boys face the Magic, Cavs, Lakers and Hornets in their next four games which I believe will set the tone for the rest of the month...A tone which will infuriate legions of Raptors fans and cause many to start paying attention to top fives in recent mock drafts.

i need a beer

stothek
02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
We could make it to 4-8 if a few things go our way, but basically your post is bang on LD. It's just the way this year is shaping up. I agree that the draft pick and long-term future is the most important thing now. No short term fixes to salvage the season PLEASE. I can live with weak teams while we're rebuilding, but I can't stomach bad trades made in desperation. It's clear the roster needs a lot more than one or two trades can achieve.

I'm going with 4-8.

edit in: with a trade for a decent perimeter player, things change:

Then we could see the Raptors be competitive with teams like the Suns and Hornets. That means we could see a 6-6 record for the month, possibly better. But still, that should reinforce the idea that a season-saving trade attempt is not worth it this year. Giving up the trade assets we have so we can reach .500 for the month of February doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Agreed.

We need to built through the draft. A lottery pick gives us a best shot at doing that.

JO will have more value in the offseason. We do not want to take on bad contracts for him now. (Banks)

That should really shape up how our 2009 season is going to be, and whether Bosh stays or not. And, if he doesn't we need to win without him. Bargnani has 20ppg potential. We need to surround that with a good draft pick, a good return for Oneal and a nice FA acquisition or two(do not need a star, just a starter).

HoopsDrive
02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
A bit negative but I couldn't agree more the way this season's been doing to the Raps. My prediction is just a bit better: 3-4 wins max and if we are LUCKY, 5-6 wins but that's a huge stretch to be honest. I don't think we can go .500 this month.

BALLER R
02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
also depends on wat kinda trades me make we might be worst or win a couple more games

kidfury
02-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I think it's going to be a LONG painful remainder to the season. Even with a trade, you have to account for time to mesh with new team mates. If we do squeak into the playoffs it'll will most likely be a quick exit.

The offseason should be an exciting one where all of us can once again have high hopes for our team.

Goon.Weezy
02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
i need a beer

make it 2 :cheers:

tyberrius
02-01-2009, 04:59 PM
If BC wants someone with guts. Get Stoudemire. I would rather go to war with him than Bosh. Amare plays more intensely than Bosh. Is stronger in the post and intimidates people. Everyone on the Raptors team is afraid of contact and doing any hard nosed work or taking contact in the lane. The only exceptions are Hump and Graham. That being said, it is clear that Bosh is mailing in the rest of the season. From everything that I have read in the last little while, the fans of TO are growing tired of him. So.... the relationship with the team, city and such is souring. Pull the plug, call it a day and get something in return for a guy that is not coming back. Let's face it Bosh is looking around at his peers and seeing what they are doing and the kind of players they are surrounded by. The only issue is that Bosh IS NOT as good as his peers and in fact plays a completely different role than Melo, LeBron, and D-Wade. They are all wings that have the ability of creating their own shots, breaking down there opponents and are able to make clutch shots. That unfortunately is not Bosh's game and probably never will be. He is strong when he is around other strong people but not a leader (case in point is the Olympics) Plays well but only because he has better players around him. IMO - he is done and we should accept it and move on.

LD V2.0
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's going to be a LONG painful remainder to the season. Even with a trade, you have to account for time to mesh with new team mates. If we do squeak into the playoffs it'll will most likely be a quick exit.

The offseason should be an exciting one where all of us can once again have high hopes for our team.

I think the playoffs is the worst case scenario now. I say that from the point of view that the playoffs doesn't help this team that much as the only players who may be here in a couple seasons are Bargnani, Calderon and maybe Bosh. The higher the lotto pick now at this point, the better for this team's future. I don't want or expect them to tank games because its dishonorable BUT as ink said, any and all trades this season should be made with the future in mind and not for the sake of salvaging a season for a team who cannot hope to compete against top tier teams. If dealing Jermaine for a prospect or a pick and a salary dump tanks this season completely then so be it but I expect the boys to play and play hard as long as it doesn't jeopardize their long term health.

The_905
02-01-2009, 05:47 PM
After witnessing today’s game I think we should just shut down Calderon until he is 100% again(could require the rest of the season). No point in worsening his hammy for an 8th seed (extreme long shot) and quick first round exit. Sad to admit but should be done. This will help us with our lottery pick hopes and will help in the development of Ukic this season. By next season if Ukic can learn from his stupid mistakes and find some sort of jumper then we can have pretty good depth at the 1 next year.

And i agree with shopping Bosh, just to see what is out there..

BALLER R
02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
the end of this month is when i think BC will determine how the rest of the season goes.

_Sn1P3r_
02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
i need a beer

:laugh: We'll all do once February is over. It'll be a loong month.

td0tsfinest
02-01-2009, 06:21 PM
why does it seem like we have such a hard schedule. January was our easiest month thus far but we didn't capitalize. The way we're playing and the energy in the locker room, it would be great if we can win 2. Cavs, Lakers, Spurs, Suns, Hornets are elite teams in the nba; beating them is going to take some serious play. T-wolves have been playing great under Kevin Mchale and the knicks have been up and down, but i think their high octane basketball is one that we can't keep up with.

Losing definitely makes you think negatively. If we had a winning record, i would say we could win every game.

BALLER R
02-01-2009, 06:25 PM
the way the knicks and t-wolves have been playing lately it wouldn't shock me if we went 0-12

Dragan
02-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Home: 1-5
win vs T-Wolves

Away: 0-5

February:

1-11

I think tonight's games vs The Magic, ended all season aspirations. Nobody on this team seems capable to go on a 10-2.

i need a few kegs not a single beer.

_Sn1P3r_
02-01-2009, 07:04 PM
the way the knicks and t-wolves have been playing lately it wouldn't shock me if we went 0-12

Good point, Wolves have been hot since the new year.

Crap..

dooodo
02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
why does it seem like we have such a hard schedule. January was our easiest month thus far but we didn't capitalize. The way we're playing and the energy in the locker room, it would be great if we can win 2. Cavs, Lakers, Spurs, Suns, Hornets are elite teams in the nba; beating them is going to take some serious play. T-wolves have been playing great under Kevin Mchale and the knicks have been up and down, but i think their high octane basketball is one that we can't keep up with.

Losing definitely makes you think negatively. If we had a winning record, i would say we could win every game.

It's a hard schedule when the team you're routing for sucks. They struggle against teams under .500 and get blown out by winning teams, its simple.

dooodo
02-01-2009, 07:08 PM
On the bright side, we should draft DeRozan. He's from Compton and won't take SH%T from anyone. I could see a rookie like him getting in everyone else's face. READ THIS COLANGELO, DRAFT DEROZAN.

BALLER R
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
i can't remember the last time i doubted this team as much as i am now

Dragan
02-01-2009, 07:21 PM
i honestly hope we loose all our remaining games, not because we drop them on purpose, but because we suck. we can get a nice pic and trade it or keep it. I know this sounds very cowardly, but I have lost all faith in this roster to make it to the post season. We have officially become bottom feeders.

_Sn1P3r_
02-01-2009, 07:26 PM
On the bright side, we should draft DeRozan. He's from Compton and won't take SH%T from anyone. I could see a rookie like him getting in everyone else's face. READ THIS COLANGELO, DRAFT DEROZAN.

Haha, I like Derozan too. He was compared to VC/Gerald Green by some website I forgot. Maybe he could be a nice add.

BALLER R
02-01-2009, 07:32 PM
gerald green im not sure i want him...vince carter ok draft that guy

ink
02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't know how many of you were around last season, but LD started this prediction thread so that people would predict the record for the upcoming month. The opinions are great too, but mainly the question is how many W's and L's will we have in the month of February? What's your estimate?

0-12?
6-6?
3-9?

??

The_905
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
2-10

Dragan
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know how many of you were around last season, but LD started this prediction thread so that people would predict the record for the upcoming month. The opinions are great too, but mainly the question is how many W's and L's will we have in the month of February? What's your estimate?

0-12?
6-6?
3-9?

??

Like I said:

eater 2-10 or 0-12

lorenz00
02-01-2009, 10:09 PM
no playoffs i guess this year

Bob_at_york
02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
First I want to say, it is great having this thread back, thanks LD, I always loved these things.

Record for February: 2-10[/B]

I actually just looked at the schedule and I saw a much different picture. I see 5-7. I think they can take NY and the T-Wolves (and yes I know how good they were in January) and surprise a couple of other teams.

LD V2.0
02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you'll be wrong...

Bob_at_york
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I think you'll be wrong...

I know you do, I also think you will be wrong but I thought with our predictions that goes without saying. It is always fun to see how close our predictions are. I remember being pretty close last year to a bunch of them. Course injuries and trades could always **** them up.

LD V2.0
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah, goes without saying I guess...