PDA

View Full Version : Luuuke Not Happy as DH

bmurphy28
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Luke Scott admitted during a radio appearance Friday that he's not totally comfortable with being the team's primary DH this season.

"I do take pride in my defense," said Scott. "I really don't want to consider myself a designated hitter." He doesn't really have much of a choice. The O's seem to like Felix Pie and Ryan Freel in left field with Aubrey Huff at first base. If Scott wants at-bats, the designated hitter slot will be the best place to find them.

Source: MASN Online

bmurphy28
01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't like that Luke is unhappy. He is such a good clubhouse guy and I don't like that he may become a distraction

bal_ravens
02-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, i'd like to see them make Luke happy. :(

bigity b
02-01-2009, 01:04 AM
well, he either learns to be happy as the primary DH or he just might be dangled/packaged for something else. He still is an asset.

Eicholtz
02-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh well. I can think of million$ of reasons why he will be okay. I don't know him but he seems like a good guy so IMO I don't think this will be a big overall team problem. If they did move him at least the young guys like Reimold and Montanez could then get a shot at some at bats. If I feel bad about anything is that our young guys are being blocked i.e. Reimold. If he has a good year in AAA (or whereever he plays) then there will be no excuse to block him any further. They are going to have to do something eventually with this log jam in the OF.

EricU812
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Then beat out the guys in front of you. Be a better 1st Baseman, be a better 3rd baseman...don't complain..take pride in your defense, just like the other guys in front of you and beat them.

bmurphy28
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
When Luke Scott came to spring training camp this week to prepare for his second season with the Orioles, he came to play left field. Where he actually ends up in the Orioles' lineup on Opening Day might be another matter, but he wants to be clear about his intentions.

The team appears likely to move him into a regular designated hitter role, but Scott is still projecting himself as a regular outfielder.

"Absolutely, I don't see any reason not to ... any reason why I shouldn't," he said. "I don't mind doing a little DH-ing. If you're a DH once or twice a week, your legs stay fresher. It gives you a little bit of a break if you get a tweak somewhere. That's good. I will do whatever they ask me to do to the best of my ability, but my opinion: I don't want to DH for 130 games."

This is the point at which a lot of players might talk about playing somewhere else, but you're not going to hear Scott demanding a trade if he ends up as a full-time DH. He's not built that way. He just wants to make the point that he established himself in left field last year and wants the opportunity to stay there, though it's just as obvious that the Orioles have decided to give newly acquired outfielder Felix Pie every opportunity to play regularly.

Manager Dave Trembley said yesterday that he's not ready to commit to anything at this early stage of spring training. He expects to play Scott some in the outfield and could even ask him to begin taking ground balls at first base.

"It's way too early to start penciling guys into certain spots and saying, 'This is what they're going to be,'" Trembley said. "He's not coming into camp here thinking all he's going to do is be a DH. He will play in the outfield. That's why he's here."

Though he might end up being disappointed, Scott said he enjoys playing for Trembley and feels the team has always been honest with him, so he doesn't want to make any waves as the Orioles embark on a new season.

"If I believed I was getting the shaft, there might be a problem because anybody would have a problem with getting lied to or getting the runaround," Scott said. "But it's not like that here. Dave's door is always open. It's open communication."

Anything can happen in six weeks, but if the season opens with Scott in the DH role, he says he'll be on board.

"When the time comes to be a team player, you have to put your individual desires aside and do what's best for the team," he said."

baltimore sun

tymonic1
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Then beat out the guys in front of you. Be a better 1st Baseman, be a better 3rd baseman...don't complain..take pride in your defense, just like the other guys in front of you and beat them.

:clap:uh huh...heard today that like played hurt most of last year...said it (said injury)took away from his power...i said it before and i'll say it again luke is gonna lead the o's in HR this year..i just hope its more than 25

Oriole John
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

I don't post here much ....But you hit it right on the head !:clap:

SnakeEyes1967
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree. Beat Felix for a starting job because we know Adam and Nick will start. Even if he doesnt beat him out, there may be a chance where Felix is slumping so you put Luke in the outfield and DH with Ty or someone else.

Brave4life
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
What would it take to get luke scott via trade. I know that the braves would definitely be interested if the o's were open to trading him.
My proposal

braves get-Luke scott

orioles get-Gorkys hernandez, kris melden

O's Boy15
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Fine, bring in a couple of high profile prospects.

bal_ravens
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Not real sure of the Braves prospects. I really like Jason Heyward, but doubt the Braves would give him up. Same with Frederick Freeman. *drool*

ugafan
02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
ESPN's Jerry Crasnick talked to Braves GM Frank Wren, who says the Braves are more likely to try their young outfielders than acquire a veteran outfielder after failing to sign Ken Griffey Jr.

Crasnick adds that the Braves "aren't very excited" about Garret Anderson and have little to no interest in Jim Edmonds and Luis Gonzalez. He says the salaries of Xavier Nady or Nick Swisher might be prohibitive. Pure speculation on my part - the Braves could definitely afford Luke Scott if he's available for trade.

MLBTR

Just throwing it out there.

And about Heyward, I'm sure you could get him from us for Matt W. :)

IndiansFan337
02-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Huff never has been known for his glove. Maybe he'd be better off as the team's DH? :shrug:

bal_ravens
02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Haha UGAFan, is he really that good? I heard he was a Ken Griffey Jr type player.

BravoFan3736
02-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Haha UGAFan, is he really that good? I heard he was a Ken Griffey Jr type player.

Yes, this guy will be a stud though braves have no need for Weiters since they have a young all star catcher in a guy named MacCann. I would like to trade for Luke that could be a Hicks + PTNL (DeVall, Stovall, Spruill, or Thompson) though I can't see the braves trading away the only ML project MI that they have in their system right now. Unless they can address this in the up coming draft with the #7 pick but the braves usually pick the most talented/Sign able guy that is on the board (Tate/Jackson/Green/Givens/Gibson/Matzek) though the O's have the #5 pick which some project Green to be selected which it would hard to figure that he would fall that far which the braves would love to get at #7.

Another thought was a Medlen + Morton + Bjones for Luke but that might be a bit too much...

We will see...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8506
http://www.mlbdraftsite.com/