PDA

View Full Version : Purely hypothetical

elements1985
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
This is just about determining how much Brady could influence a team, not about possible or practical trade possibilities.

I've been debating with a co-worker for weeks about this: If Tom Brady went to the Detroit Lions next year, and they made no personnel moves (outside the draft), how many games would they win?

I said 6 MAX, while my co-worker said 9-12. Please, someone shed some reason on this guy. His number is insanity: no one player can impact a game like that in football.

The Intimidator
01-31-2009, 04:45 PM
With the state of the Lions defense and offensive line, I would say that winning 8-12 games is close to impossible, even with Brady. Brady throwing to Calvin Johnson would be pretty cool, considering how well Brady throws the deep ball, but he would get very few opportunities to throw it to him with the lack of protection he would receive. I would say that Brady would win 5-6 games with the current Lions, with 7 being a distant possibility.

Vincent33
01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Are you crazy? Football would be back in Detroit!!! 16-0 at the least with Brady!!! But seriously, Detroit would get to 6 wins at most.

Sportfan
01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
4-7 wins

Super.
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
id say 6-8 wins

with Brady back there throwing to Calvin, it would let the running game behind Kevin Jones flourish

it would also take some pressure off the defense too

The Intimidator
01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
id say 6-8 wins

with Brady back there throwing to Calvin, it would let the running game behind Kevin Jones flourish

it would also take some pressure off the defense too

You must have missed the part where the Lions have no offensive line...

ccugrad1
01-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I think a lot depended on how they did in the draft. But let's look back at their 2008 schedule and do a little predicting:

They lost week 6 @ Minnesota 12-10. Brady wins that game for there.
They lost week 7 @ Houston 28-21. Brady does enough there to get them the win
They lost week 8 to Washington 25-17. Brady does enough there to win them the game
They lost week 9 @ Chicago 27-23. I think Brady could have put them over the top there. They scored 0 in the 2nd half; I'd be willing to think that Brady at least scored 7 in the 2nd half.
Week 14 they lost to Minnesota 20-16. I think Brady could have put them over the top there.

And you could make some arguments in some other games where Brady makes a difference, like the Indy and Green Bay games in weeks 15 and 17. I'll bet having a healthy Tom Brady back there last year nets Detroit 6 or 7 wins easy. There were a lot of games that changed for Detroit on a dumb play by the QB that Brady would not have made.

Super.
01-31-2009, 11:48 PM
You must have missed the part where the Lions have no offensive line...

it wasnt worse than ours (pass blocking) this year

The Intimidator
02-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Our pass blocking was very good this season. I'm not sure why you think Detroit's was better than ours. We gave up 47 sacks this season, with the majority coming in the beginning of the season, when Cassel was constantly holding onto the ball too long. As Cassel became more comfortable with the offense, he was sacked fewer times (29 times in first 8 games, 18 times in final 8 games). The Lions, meanwhile, surrendered 52 sacks this season, the majority of which came in the second half.

Super.
02-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Our pass blocking was very good this season. I'm not sure why you think Detroit's was better than ours. We gave up 47 sacks this season, with the majority coming in the beginning of the season, when Cassel was constantly holding onto the ball too long. As Cassel became more comfortable with the offense, he was sacked fewer times (29 times in first 8 games, 18 times in final 8 games). The Lions, meanwhile, surrendered 52 sacks this season, the majority of which came in the second half.

really? i heard we gave up the most sacks? hmm guess i was wrong

but if the lions aquired brady im sure the front office would move people for lineman + picks

aka Kitna and others

The Intimidator
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
really? i heard we gave up the most sacks? hmm guess i was wrong

but if the lions aquired brady im sure the front office would move people for lineman + picks

aka Kitna and others

We were leading in sacks for a long time, but Detroit ended up passing us at the end of the season. Jon Kitna was sacked 15 times, Daunte Culpepper was sacked 14 times, Dan Orlovsky was sacked 14 times, Drew Stanton was sacked 6 times, and Drew Henson was sacked 3 times.

And you're right about the Lions making moves, but elements1985 said to exclude personnel moves, which is why I started on my tangent about Detroit's pass protection.