PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: 'I always did love Kobe'

S.J.Basketball
01-31-2009, 05:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3873700

Shaquille O'Neal , the newly minted All-Star for the Western Conference, has claimed Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson as new allies, saying the longtime rivalry between himself and the Lakers forward was simply a marketing gimmick.

"We helped you hype it up," the Suns center said late Thursday night in an interview with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "I know what I'm doing, brother. I'm the smartest player in the world."

O'Neal and Bryant have shared an off-the-court history of bickering through the media that was fueled during O'Neal's last season with the Lakers in 2004, when the duo jockeyed for position as the franchise's next cornerstone.

O'Neal said Thursday the feud with Bryant is nothing more than fodder for driving revenue.

"I always did love Kobe," O'Neal said. "It was all marketing."

O'Neal, 36, has said Jackson didn't help quell the drama, failing to bring the two together and perhaps even designing some of the conflict. His take was considerably different after a 114-104 loss to the Spurs on Thursday night. "He's the greatest coach ever." O'Neal said. "And he's done a lot for me. Phil's my guy. It's all marketing, baby."

O'Neal went so far as to stump for Bryant, who has helped lead the Lakers (36-9) to the best record in the West.

"He's probably the MVP this year," O'Neal said. "You know, he's a monster."

Bryant, averaging 26.6 points entering Friday, ranks third in the NBA in scoring behind Dwyane Wade at 28.5 and LeBron James at 27.8.

"I'm not comparing, I'm just saying that young man is a beast," O'Neal said of Bryant. "We all know he is a beast. LeBron is a beast also, but [Bryant's] playing excellent ball right now, he's got his team playing well. He's leading by example."

O'Neal said if he had stayed with the Lakers, the duo would have won another three or four NBA championships on top of the three titles from 2000 to 2002.

"We're still the greatest little-man, big-man 1-2 punch ever created in the history of the game," O'Neal said. "And hopefully we can get a couple of glimpses of what we used to do. But it's going to be fun."

O'Neal, averaging 18 points and nine rebounds, joined Bryant on the West's roster for this year's All-Star Game on Thursday night as a reserve. It will be his 15th All-Star appearance.

"It's going to bring back great memories," O'Neal said. "[That] weekend is all about having fun, so we're going to have fun, they're probably going to be a couple of give-and-goes, and bring back old memories."

The All-Star Game is Feb. 15 in Phoenix.

O'Neal said he looks back fondly on his run with the Lakers.

"It's always all about good thoughts," O'Neal said. "Everything that happened there happened for a reason. And I'm going to tell you why: It's all about winning. We won three out of four. Can't beat that, so nothing else matters."

Shaq reminiscing about the good old days. The link actually has the article and the video of Shaqs interview.

KG2TB
01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
It wasn't all hype. They had a legit beef. Shaq hated on Kobe cause he needed to be the main man and needed the spotlight. Shaq knows the Suns won't compete and he would have a great shot to win a title on the Lakers. He realizes it was a huge mistake that he left because they probably could have won a one or two more championships. Shaq is title hungry. He's looking to go anywhere where he can add more bling to his collection and LA is a great place for that. It's understandable, but to say their beef was all hype by the media is a lotta BS. The media didn't write a ****en rap diss or routinely make negative comment about KB. They both were guilty. I know there was always a deep respect the two shared, but there was also quite a bit of animosity. Maybe age and wisdom is prevailing now.

GoatMilk
01-31-2009, 05:39 AM
KG2TheBulls, very very well said. I dont think this thread needs any more comments. well done

still1ballin
01-31-2009, 01:28 PM
If all that bickering was fake then why did he leave after the 2004 Finals? Shaq simply wants to come to L.A. and win a couple of championships because he knows the window is closing on him fast. Remember how he said before he retired he wanted to win about 5 or 6 rings? He dissed the Lakers and Kobe after he left, and now he is being nice? Please.

DrDEADalready
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
There's no way all of that was for show...I mean it's not like you have to build anything up to get money. like Fighting sports. UFC, Wrestling,Boxing.

There's obviously something behind his words. He wants something.

arlubas
01-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Damn, thinking back about those Lakers teams leaves no question as to whether they were great. A modern day dynasty if I may say so (if a three peat can warrant the term dynasty).

NYstateofMinD
01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know if I necessarily believe him or not but it is a possibility. Phil Jackson did write a book that gained profits. Shaq leaving forced the Lakers to sign Kobe to the max offer(not saying he wasn't going to get it, just saying after the Lakers had no choice). The Heat-Lakers "rivalry" was always on ESPN and always headlined. More hype on both players = more marketing television wise and increased sales in merchandise. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't but if it was damn.

da wood
01-31-2009, 02:04 PM
shaq is just trying to open up the door to come back to L.A. thats all

KG2TB
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Yep. Shaq is basically saying I was an idiot and ****ed up, without actually saying he was an idiot and he ****ed up. I mean, he did win another title after leaving but that's only thanks to D. Wade and some help by the officials. The Lakers could have competed for a few more years and Shaq knows that now. Pride and ego can be a dangerous thing at times.

Drtino
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
He sounds too pretentious with his responses to the media saying that it was all about "marketing"... come on,

I don't buy it...

and then he makes and sings this rap song mocking Kobe last year and then he said that it was just some sort of joke and he loved and had respect for the guy...

Come on he's from Newark, NJ.

You could never know what goes on deep inside his mind, this sounds more like a "facade" to shield the media questions.

JJ81
01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
:)

Drtino
01-31-2009, 03:31 PM
shaq is just trying to open up the door to come back to L.A. thats all

You're probably right...

But still... don't think he's completely truthful.

brownruffryder
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Yep. Shaq is basically saying I was an idiot and ****ed up, without actually saying he was an idiot and he ****ed up. I mean, he did win another title after leaving but that's only thanks to D. Wade and some help by the officials. The Lakers could have competed for a few more years and Shaq knows that now. Pride and ego can be a dangerous thing at times.

WOW, ur completely stupid...kobe and wade wouldn't have won a championship without shaq...kobe without shaq=no championship...any team without a big man can't win unless ofcourse your jordan...u need players like duncan, shaq, chamerlain, bill russell, garnett to win championships. no big man=no championship....and don't tell me that bynum and gasol or the level of those players...cause if you do then your really stupid

Mets4Life101
01-31-2009, 06:16 PM
here we goooo

cubulls
01-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Bynum and Odom for Shaq! :D

ARMIN12NBA
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

:puke:

Raidaz4Life
01-31-2009, 08:52 PM

done but in the Lakers forum we're so crazy and condescending towards our players that you must refer to him as "Odumb" in order for us to know who you're talking about.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-31-2009, 09:03 PM

Deal! But the Suns are going to have to provide the time machine so we can go back and get Shaq in his prime.

bal_ravens
01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
And Shaq doesn't say a word about Wade.

carlo4444
01-31-2009, 09:36 PM

as if u would lol

KG2TB
02-02-2009, 04:55 AM
WOW, ur completely stupid...kobe and wade wouldn't have won a championship without shaq...kobe without shaq=no championship...any team without a big man can't win unless ofcourse your jordan...u need players like duncan, shaq, chamerlain, bill russell, garnett to win championships. no big man=no championship....and don't tell me that bynum and gasol or the level of those players...cause if you do then your really stupid

That's funny you say I'm not so bright because never did I say Kobe and Wade would have won a championship without Shaq. What I was getting at is Shaq and the Heat rode D. Wade more than Shaq ever rode any of his other side kicks before. And don't worry, I won't say that Gasol or Bynum are on the level of guys like Duncan, Russell, Chamberlain LOL I was always confused about that, but thanks for clarifying.