PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 post defense

Luv Da New Pack
01-31-2009, 12:20 AM
I was wondering why the Wolves do not use it. Teams use it on the Wolves to make entry passes more difficult but the Wolves don't use it at all. They just play behind the player in the post and let them get the ball easily. That would be one way to disrupt the offensive flow. From what I've seen it looks like a good strategy.

topdog
01-31-2009, 12:52 AM
GET IN FRONT! How are you gonna stop post players who are good with their back to the basket when you just stand behind them?! ...unless you actually commit to digging and rotating... Horrible strategy by the Wolves. I'd rather give an open jump shot than let Bynum back in.

IowaAJ
01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
the problem with fronting is its a lot harder to block out because you give the post player good position for offensive rebounds.

Luv Da New Pack
01-31-2009, 09:37 PM
It's about team defense. With the appropriate rotation you'd be covered IF you needed it. The reason I think it would be more useful is the post defender can 3 1/2 block the post player. Then, if he cannot intercept, he can still get back to defend and if not we have a weak side defender crashing in. It would have been called in the scheme but I think they should try something else because we are letting team enter the passed to easily.

Preuss-is-right
02-01-2009, 01:56 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing some zone thrown in once and a while. Or how about a sudden full court press to start off a game?

boeknows
02-01-2009, 02:53 AM
Another problem with that is that it is easier for the other team to do an alley-oop also. Like what Garnett and Rondo always do.

Luv Da New Pack
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Another problem with that is that it is easier for the other team to do an alley-oop also. Like what Garnett and Rondo always do.

Now that makes sense.......why don't the Wolves try that when they are defended 3 1/2?

WSU Tony
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
We have undersized big men, that's why.

boeknows
02-01-2009, 10:46 PM
We have undersized big men, that's why.

Garnett is a lot more athletic than our big men. Jefferson has nice footwork but isnt going to do a fast spin move around someone.

scion52
02-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Garnett is a lot more athletic than our big men. Jefferson has nice footwork but isnt going to do a fast spin move around someone.

yeah exactly. now that i think about it, nobody does that move off defenders better than Dwight (Howard).

silverson
02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Still the zone could help us in a couple of occasions IMO. When you have undersized talls isn't a zone a better way to defend?