PDA

View Full Version : What is Brady Worth

Super.
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL

Hypothetically speaking if we were to trade Brady what do you think we could get for him in return?

Jonathan2323
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
two first round picks. maybe not that much because hes injured.

TURBOGOD
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
2 1st round picks.

2 2nd round picks

A third rounder

an established player

Red_Sox_89
01-31-2009, 12:10 AM
No price on Brady. :D

poppa12645
01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Realistically

2 first rounders
2 2nd rounders
an elite player
yes even with the injury, he is worth that much

Valleyfella
01-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Until it's clear he's back to 100% I can't picture a team emptying the bank to get him. At the moment, Cassel might actually net a larger return. I'd say Brady would get a first and second rounder and a proven starter.

magichatnumber9
01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't know 3 super bowls this franchise never would have gotten with Drew B. Now if were talking about free agency contrary to his health..... one first round and a third.

futureheisman
01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
No price for Brady.

The Intimidator
01-31-2009, 02:10 PM
If the Patriots were to trade Brady, I believe that their asking price will be nothing less than 2 first round picks, and they very well could ask for more. Whether or not another team would be willing to comply with those demands is another story...

Jonathan2323
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Realistically

2 first rounders
2 2nd rounders
an elite player

no way.

bosox1899
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Realistically

2 first rounders
2 2nd rounders
an elite player

No he isn't, maybe 2 first rounders and an elite player or even throw 1 2nd rounder in there but that's pushing it.

Sportfan
01-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Realistically

2 first rounders
2 2nd rounders
an elite player

anyone that would do that is stupid

nep2008
01-31-2009, 09:49 PM
2 first round draft picks..... over 15 million a year
2 second round draft picks..... over 8-10 million a year
Losing tom brady, the best quaterback ever to a trade.... priceless.

Super.
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Remember its all hypothetical

i was just seeing what you guys thought of my random thoughts

The Intimidator
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
What else do you think about when you have time on your hands? ;)

Super.
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM
What else do you think about when you have time on your hands? ;)

umm

stuff

like what would happen if i could go back in time and assassinate Archie Manning....:D

bagwell368
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
OK to maximize return here is what needs to happen:

#1 Brady has to play in an exhibition or two, run around a bit, hit some longer passes

#2 You won't get any established players back because anyone that wants him thinks they have a 2-5 year window.

Also I would trade him to the NFC if at all possible. I would trade Cassel as well, and sign a solid vet, and groom the kid for a year or two and go with him.

For the two of them I would expect this haul:

#2, #3, #4 for Brady - '10
#2 #4 - '12
#5 - '13

#2, #3, #4 for Cassel in '11

total haul:

3 #2's
2 #3's
3 #4's
1 #5

combine them as BB sees fit to trade up, trade down, move to the following year, whatever.

heresy you say?

I say look at the Boston Celtics on July 1st 1987. The next few years they had offers to trade McHale, Bird, and others. They stood pat, and died on the vine, and were nothing for 20 years. BB would never let anything stand in the way of success.

Super.
02-01-2009, 01:14 AM
OK to maximize return here is what needs to happen:

#1 Brady has to play in an exhibition or two, run around a bit, hit some longer passes

#2 You won't get any established players back because anyone that wants him thinks they have a 2-5 year window.

Also I would trade him to the NFC if at all possible. I would trade Cassel as well, and sign a solid vet, and groom the kid for a year or two and go with him.

For the two of them I would expect this haul:

#2, #3, #4 for Brady - '10
#2 #4 - '12
#5 - '13

#2, #3, #4 for Cassel in '11

total haul:

3 #2's
2 #3's
3 #4's
1 #5

combine them as BB sees fit to trade up, trade down, move to the following year, whatever.

heresy you say?

I say look at the Boston Celtics on July 1st 1987. The next few years they had offers to trade McHale, Bird, and others. They stood pat, and died on the vine, and were nothing for 20 years. BB would never let anything stand in the way of success.

no first round draft picks?
i mean come on we got a first rounder for deion branch, you dont think we couldnt get at least one first rounder?

The Intimidator
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
i mean come on we got a first rounder for deion branch, you dont think we couldnt get at least one first rounder?

I have to agree here. If we were able to swindle Seattle and get a first rounder out of them for Deion, you would think they could get a first rounder for Brady or Cassel as well. I'm not sure the Patriots would settle for anything less, in fact.

Super.
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I have to agree here. If we were able to swindle Seattle and get a first rounder out of them for Deion, you would think they could get a first rounder for Brady or Cassel as well. I'm not sure the Patriots would settle for anything less, in fact.

i bet it would take a 1st rounder and a solid player (personally i would LOVE patrick willis. he is one of the hardest players in the entire league, and he never gets any love bc he's on the 49ers's

The Intimidator
02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
No, I would draw the line there if I were the 49ers. Including Willis in the trade would essentially be giving the Patriots 2 first rounders, and I'm not sure they would be willing to make that trade. The 49ers want to build their defense around Willis, so I think he's as off limits as anyone.

MilledgeGomez
02-01-2009, 03:59 PM
No price on Brady. :D

Exactly

chomaru
02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
the niners only got a 1st round pick (#18) for Joe and they had to give up a 3rd as well.

bagwell368
02-01-2009, 11:41 PM

sure, but they are expensive, loading up on 2's, 3's and 4's gives us a lot of ammo to fool around with.

But I do not think Cassel is worth a #1 by himself.

bagwell368
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
No, I would draw the line there if I were the 49ers. Including Willis in the trade would essentially be giving the Patriots 2 first rounders, and I'm not sure they would be willing to make that trade. The 49ers want to build their defense around Willis, so I think he's as off limits as anyone.

Like I said, any team that thinks it has a future is trading you nobody.

Cassel has to be signed using the transitional, not the franchise tag. That will allow his price to be sane.

steelcityroller
02-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Well let me just look at it this way. Lets take the Detroit Lions. You are talking about a team that has only won 1 playoff game in the last 50 years. You are talking about a team that is coming off a 0-16 season the worst in NFL history. A team that has long been in the gutter of the NFL. You are talking about a team that since 1988 has drafted Rodney Peete, Andre Ware, Charlie Batch, Mike McMahon, Joey Harrington, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton at QB. You are talking about a team that no longer has 7 of their last 10 1st round picks on its roster anymore.

If I were the GM of the Detroit Lions I would offer this year the #1, #20 and a 3rd rounder and then my 1st round picks for 2010 and 2011. Thats four 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder. All this assuming that he can pass a physical. Id do it in a heartbeat.

Hell the Tennessee Titans. They have a top 5 defense that aside from Haynesworth are all locked up. They have one of the best offensive lines in football and aside from Kevin Mawae all are gonna be there another 4-5 years. They have Chris Johnson thats a legit threat at running back. You put Tom Brady on that team and they are a SuperBowl contender for the next 4-5 years every year. Wouldnt you think they would consider trading multiple 1st rounders and other picks for Tom Brady?

J-E-T-S
02-02-2009, 03:11 AM
If any of you guys remember the Hershel Walker trade from the cowboys to the Vikins which included a slew of 3-1st round picks and 3-2nd round picks and a handful of other players?? Well trading Brady would much less demand that much. But they wont get it though. I say somewhere around 2-1st rounders and two 2nd rounders and some other conditional picks/players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

steelcityroller
02-02-2009, 03:30 AM
Well you also have to consider what teams have given up to take QBs in the draft. The Giants basically traded two 1sts and two 2nds to get Eli Manning.

Super.
02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
sure, but they are expensive, loading up on 2's, 3's and 4's gives us a lot of ammo to fool around with.

But I do not think Cassel is worth a #1 by himself.

then sir, you are an idiot

if we got a 1st rounder for deion branch you dont think we couldnt get one for cassel? really thats just dumb thinking of you

bagwell368
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
If any of you guys remember the Hershel Walker trade from the cowboys to the Vikins which included a slew of 3-1st round picks and 3-2nd round picks and a handful of other players?? Well trading Brady would much less demand that much. But they wont get it though. I say somewhere around 2-1st rounders and two 2nd rounders and some other conditional picks/players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Yeah, and it fueled the Cowboys Dynasty, and killed the Vikings for 6-8 years, which is why deals like this almost never happen anymore. That agruden deal was the last of that type IMO. There are too many guys on the field for one guy to have that value. Maybe 5 guys at any given time, and QB's coming off serious knee issues who is going to be 32 soon may no longer be one of them.

The Intimidator
02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Well let me just look at it this way. Lets take the Detroit Lions. You are talking about a team that has only won 1 playoff game in the last 50 years. You are talking about a team that is coming off a 0-16 season the worst in NFL history. A team that has long been in the gutter of the NFL. You are talking about a team that since 1988 has drafted Rodney Peete, Andre Ware, Charlie Batch, Mike McMahon, Joey Harrington, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton at QB. You are talking about a team that no longer has 7 of their last 10 1st round picks on its roster anymore.

If I were the GM of the Detroit Lions I would offer this year the #1, #20 and a 3rd rounder and then my 1st round picks for 2010 and 2011. Thats four 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder. All this assuming that he can pass a physical. Id do it in a heartbeat.

Hell the Tennessee Titans. They have a top 5 defense that aside from Haynesworth are all locked up. They have one of the best offensive lines in football and aside from Kevin Mawae all are gonna be there another 4-5 years. They have Chris Johnson thats a legit threat at running back. You put Tom Brady on that team and they are a SuperBowl contender for the next 4-5 years every year. Wouldnt you think they would consider trading multiple 1st rounders and other picks for Tom Brady?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Some people often forget that some first round picks are busts, or in the Lions' case, almost all first round picks are busts. When you have the opportunity to trade the rights to a talented but unproven player for an established future hall of famer, you pull the trigger. A guy like Brady could make a team like the Lions relevant, like you said, or put a team like the Titans over the top. It just seems like a no brainer to me. You give up potential for greatness 100 percent of the time, IMO.

bagwell368
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
then sir, you are an idiot

if we got a 1st rounder for deion branch you dont think we couldnt get one for cassel? really thats just dumb thinking of you

Excuse me?

#1. All fans, Boston fans in particular tend to overvalue what they have to trade.

#2. This isn't baseball where he could be signed for 4 years for short money. This is football and he is a FA, and has to be tagged to be held. That will represent a large amount of a teams budget. That's a huge negative and there is no way around it - unless the Pats can sign him long term and then spin him off - which is doubtful. Are you going to tell me Cassel is one of the five best QB's in the NFL, because that is what he will get paid if franchised.

#3. I was in Cassel's corner longer then most - but fell off for two weeks around the SD game. All any GM needs to do is put together all Cassel passes over 20 yards in '08, and run the tape, and the amount of misfires, short passes, long passes and general miscues is huge - when put against good passes. Warning!!

#4. He played on a great team he was groomed for. Let's see how he does for a crap team with a crap OL.

Why I should get insulted for having an opinion resting on reasonable logic such as above I am not sure.

p.s. I was thinking of picks #16 or higher in the 1st round. a later pick is a lot less worthwhile because you have to pay a lot of guaranteed money and years, but get probably a lot less of a player. This later round 1st rounder they could score for Cassel - but the difference between 27 and 37 is much greater then 14 an d 18.