PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that the Suns can't beat the Spurs, but the Mavs can?

JordansBulls
01-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Why is it that the Suns can't beat the Spurs, but the Mavs can?

You would think the Suns would be better off as they have more talent. This is has gone on for years now.

2004-2005 Spurs knock off the 62 win Suns team in 5.
2006-2007 Spurs knock off the 61 win Suns team in 6
2007-2008 Spurs knock off the 55 win Suns team in 5

Each time the Spurs end up winning games in Phoenix. It's like the Suns can never defend their homecourt against the Spurs.

Also this year the Spurs have already won both games in Phoenix.

I can understand if one team is far superior to the other, but when 2 two teams are that close to one another in talent and overall winning, how can one constantly dominate the other this much?

Just look at this squad.

PG Nash/Barbosa
SG Jrich/Dragic
SF Barnes/Hill/Dudley
PF Amare/Louis Amundson
C Shaq/Lopez

I would kill for the Bulls to have a team like that. If that were the Bulls team I would be expecting a championship in all seriousness.

Joshtd1
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
We just have their number.

All the games always seem to be pretty damn close, but the Spurs just end up pulling it out and the end most of the times.

aWiLL 20
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
because the mavs are better than the suns lol
jk jk it's prolly a toss up
but to answer the question...the mavs have better matchups against the spurs than the suns, produce more mismatches....

ink
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I would kill for the Bulls to have a team like that. If that were the Bulls team I would be expecting a championship in all seriousness.

I have no idea why the Suns can't beat the Spurs. I don't think they do either. They've tried it now with two completely different types of teams.

As for your comment about the calibre of their roster, you're absolutely right. For those Steve Kerr haters out there, look at the lineup he's put on the floor. Unbelievable talent and depth. Probably more talent than most other teams in the league. Admittedly they're getting a little old, but there should be enough talent and experience on that team, and their fitness level is excellent. So it's a bit of a mystery.

twoearl
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Can the Mavs really beat the SPURS? they only beat them that one year and that was some bs. ANd they still didnt want a ring.

Brooke
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
the Spurs just have their number each time they play

cambovenzi
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
matchups.
the spurs are a great defensive team, and they have their number.

innovator
01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
why is it that the lakers cant beat the bobcats, but the grizzlies can?

maybe the mavs strength is the spurs weakness???

Joshtd1
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
why is it that the lakers cant beat the bobcats, but the grizzlies can?

maybe the mavs strength is the spurs weakness???

The reason the Mavs beat us is because we have no one to put on Dirk. Dirk is a much bigger mismatch for us then anyone the Suns have. There is bench is pretty solid as well with Bass and Terry.

thedfactor
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Can the Mavs really beat the SPURS? they only beat them that one year and that was some bs. ANd they still didnt want a ring.
What about the Mavericks winning that series was BS? Nothing. The Mavs won because they had Dirk who was such a mismatch for any Spurs defender he could score at will mostly. Devin Harris was one of few PGs who actually gave Tony Parker headaches on both ends of the floor. Hard for me to say, but Diop played tough defense on Duncan at times. Terry was an X-factor as was Josh Howard. Dallas was deep enough to equal out the Spurs veteran bench. The Mavericks played defense that season.

JordansBulls
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
The reason the Mavs beat us is because we have no one to put on Dirk. Dirk is a much bigger mismatch for us then anyone the Suns have. There is bench is pretty solid as well with Bass and Terry.

So maybe the Suns would be better off trading Amare for Dirk and then they could beat the Spurs.

ink
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
So maybe the Suns would be better off trading Amare for Dirk and then they could beat the Spurs.

Dirk and Shaq would complement each other better.

Indi23
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Two words. Better Coaching.

Edit: We arent trading Amare... and we can't be thinking like that after every loss. We have the team, just need to fire porters hind.

Mile High Champ
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Dirk and Shaq would complement each other better.

I agree with this, I think Dirk makes the matchup more interesting against duncan and the spurs. I think just based on personel there is much reason to see why the mavs would play the spurs tougher than the suns.

cahawk
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Alot seems to have to do with the Suns have no way to stop Parker and the pick and roll with Duncan.
Shaq has been great against Duncan but is to slow to help with Parker.

Both teams get wide open 18' shots....
Suns for Amare & Spurs for Parker.
Parker will win that horse game. And even if it were a draw, the Suns loose because Amare's rebounding is lost 18' from the basket.

DoubleDragon
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Video cameras at the Sun's practice facility?

Seriously though. It's just all about match-ups. Alot of NBA teams (regardless of records) just seem to be able to pull off wins consistently on the better teams because of match-ups. (ie; Golden State/Dallas). Other than that, I have no idea : )

madiaz3
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I like Dirk for Amare.

I think both teams benefit, though the Suns become more of a contender.

albertc86
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
It comes down to match-ups.

Spurred1
01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Just one of those unfortunate matchups-Bucks beat the Spurs for whatever reason pretty consistently. Redd? Bogut?

JPHX
01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
because the suns play like a YMCA team.

stawka
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
For the same reason that the Bobcats beat the Lakers, while the Jazz always beat the Bobcats but lose to the Lakers. It's a matchup hell for the Suns.

JordansBulls
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
because the suns play like a YMCA team.

Not a 60 win team.

JayW_1023
01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Simple. In the NBA anyone can beat anybody on any given day. In the regular season at least.

ragee
01-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Because the Suns don't play defense...

pippsux
01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
The Spurs officially have the Suns number. Two reasons, I think...

1) Nash is forced to play defense, which is not his strong point because of Parker.

2) Suns lack a wing man. Spurs seem to struggle against wing players who penetrate.If they can run some iso plays for Richardson, then they might have a chance. He is too athletic not to be attacking the basket.

_Sn1P3r_
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Simple reasons.
a) Matchups
b) Sometimes, teams just have other teams' numbers.

WadeCounty
01-30-2009, 10:28 PM
i think by now it also becomes a psychological thing aswell

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I have no idea why the Suns can't beat the Spurs. I don't think they do either. They've tried it now with two completely different types of teams.

As for your comment about the calibre of their roster, you're absolutely right. For those Steve Kerr haters out there, look at the lineup he's put on the floor. Unbelievable talent and depth. Probably more talent than most other teams in the league. Admittedly they're getting a little old, but there should be enough talent and experience on that team, and their fitness level is excellent. So it's a bit of a mystery.

Unbelievable depth. They gave up their best stopper, and one of their best energy players for an offensive minded two guard best utilized under D'Antoni's system. No wonder they lost to the Knicks. They aren't a defensive team, yet Porter was brought in to do this. The Suns have talent, that doesn't mesh. They'll make the playoffs and be sent home ala first round TKO. As cohesive as water and oil.

JordansBulls
01-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Because the Suns don't play defense...

Mavs aren't much better.

stevefrancis
01-31-2009, 12:55 AM
why do the timberwolves always beat the suns.

Lizard King
01-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Defense. Spurs play it, and Suns don't.

Honestly, if the Suns step up defensively, they could win a championship with that squad. I just don't see how they're losing all those games. Something's wrong with that team, and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Defense. Spurs play it, and Suns don't.

Honestly, if the Suns step up defensively, they could win a championship with that squad. I just don't see how they're losing all those games. Something's wrong with that team, and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

The defense really hasn't been there recently. We're getting the healthy output offensively, but we're giving up between 98-100 pts per contest. So it's definitely time to get something done. Saw something in a rumor of a Collison add via trade. That'd be great for me. He's been scrappy and a hard vet that can come off the bench, next to Timmy D.

French Suns Fan
01-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Suns can t beat the spurs cause Parker is too fast for steve nash and Stat too small for duncan and Suns defence always let shoot Ginobili .