PDA

View Full Version : True/False - Devin Harris didn't have a chance to grow in Dallas?

JordansBulls
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Yesterday on TNT, Chris Webber, Gary Payton and Ernie interviewed Devin Harris and asked him if he had a chance to grow in Dallas and he said no because everything went thru Dirk or Howard or Terry. Do you agree with him on that?

I guess my question is, would Devin Harris had been an allstar in Dallas as well?

DrDEADalready
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Well I guess you have to take the word from the horses mouth. so yeah he probably didnt have enough room to grow.

Young2Kinsler
01-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Of course that's not true. Avery Johnson ruined Harris' career here. Harris was always scared of Avery, constantly looking over his shoulder. Harris could have been great here, thanks Avery you *******.

Nighthawk
01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
It boils down to this. HARRIS can score the basketball. In New Jersey there best scorer is and aging and declining Vince Carter. Harris HAS TO SCORE. On Dallas he was surrounded by play makers and had to distribute. Harris is a scoring point. I dont think he does a good job of setting up guys. If he was on Dallas, he would be asked to setup Dirk, Terry and Howard. On the Nets he has the green light to shoot and his numbers are high and now hes and all star

_Sn1P3r_
01-30-2009, 11:29 AM
No. Devin is right. The offense goes through mainly Dirk, Terry and Howard in Dallas. And in the 4th, it's mainly Dirk and Terry. In NJ, Devin got to showcase his skills by being allowed to run the offense through himself (or VC) and either make plays for others or take shots himself.

chicagowhitesox
01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
i think devin has a point. he didn't just all the sudden become a far better player when he left.

Spurred1
01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Devin has a point-those other three are the primary scorers, although Howard stopped being one of them later on. He wouldn't really have had a chance to display his scoring abilities; they weren't needed at the time in Dallas, I guess. He might have also been a bit unsure of his role because he looked like he wasn't really trusted to run plays for the Mavs. The Nets have given him the reins to do whatever he needs out there.
So unless the Mavs had let him do the same here, he probably wouldn't have made the All-Star team. Really hard to say,though.

JordansBulls
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Well they always seemed to start Terry over him.

GarlicStench
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Dallas has a proven track record of mismanaging point guards. Does the name Steve Nash ring a bell? They have the ability to get the best point gueards in the league and then they do not know what to do with them.

Morgan
01-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Devin Harris is the same player now as he was in Dallas. He wasn't asked to be a scorer in Dallas because they didn't need scoring. In New Jersey he has to score because besides him and Carter there's nobody else who can. If Harris played for the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, or Magic though he wouldn't be averaging anywhere near 22 ppg but, I guess it's nice to know that he can.

JAZZNC
01-30-2009, 11:56 PM
He was certainly better than he was allowed to be in the system in Dallas. He was always the same player. Kinda like the JO situation, he was just buried on a roster and then got traded to a team where he could showcase his talents and well.....

JordansBulls
01-31-2009, 12:56 AM
So is Devin as good as Vince now?

$KnicksAndKobe$
01-31-2009, 01:29 AM
Didn't he start in his rookie season?

SJSHARKIES
01-31-2009, 01:47 AM
No, he would not be an all-star in Dallas. Never got the chance to spread his wings and showcase his full potential and I bet Dallas his kicking themselves in the asss right now.

carter15
01-31-2009, 01:48 AM
So is Devin as good as Vince now?

there different players...in a year or two...i wud say yes...but right now..devin is still learning and still makes mistakes....i mite be biased cuz im a nets fan and my fav. player is VC but ive also watched almost every gm this year...devin is a very good player but hes only getting better...and lately is showing signs of growing pains as his numbers have gone down...so thats y i still think VC is better as of today...and also devin doesnt have that "flair for the dramatic" lik VC does in being able to hit game winners.

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 01:58 AM
He didn't get the green light in Dallas, and he wasn't the focal point of the offense. He was probably the 4th option behind Dirk, Jet, and Howard.

carlo4444
01-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Yesterday on TNT, Chris Webber, Gary Payton and Ernie interviewed Devin Harris and asked him if he had a chance to grow in Dallas and he said no because everything went thru Dirk or Howard or Terry. Do you agree with him on that?

i agree with this because he was needed more in new jersey to put up good numbers. so he has more chance to grow:eyebrow:

Chronz
01-31-2009, 03:15 AM
He couldve but they tried to raise him a PG instead of the next TP

Hellcrooner
01-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Its not unusual for this things to happen, you get drafted by the wrong team beause they ahve a OLDER and RENOWN all star like guy for your position, and no matter how good you are you are going to be that " energy guy" from the bench, for all your ****ing career unless you have the luck your team accidentaly trades you to a team where you can start and display your game.

Bottom line, wish Rudy Fernandez had the same luck.

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Its not unusual for this things to happen, you get drafted by the wrong team beause they ahve a OLDER and RENOWN all star like guy for your position, and no matter how good you are you are going to be that " energy guy" from the bench, for all your ****ing career unless you have the luck your team accidentaly trades you to a team where you can start and display your game.

Bottom line, wish Rudy Fernandez had the same luck.

I knew this was coming :laugh2:

Lone Maverick
01-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Like most said, he is essentially the same player he was in Dallas, maybe his game grew a bit but its not night and day. Two teams, two very different needs for the PG position, equates to the same guy with very different stats. =/

Also never underestimate the power of the almighty grudge. Dude was probably out to prove a point this year, and who could blame him?