PDA

View Full Version : Knee Wasn't an Issue for Crosby Against Rangers

SidTheKid
01-29-2009, 07:47 PM
The idea that Sidney Crosby was going to need some time to shake off the rust from not playing in eight days because of a knee injury and the All-Star Break was clearly dismissed Wednesday night in Pittsburgh's 6-2 defeat of the New York Rangers.

A knee injury suffered Jan. 14 had Crosby less than 100 percent leading into the All-Star Break -- even though he played in two of the next three games -- and Crosby skipped the on-ice portion of the All-Star festivities in Montreal.

He returned to the ice Monday for practice, practiced again Tuesday, and then felt good enough after Wednesday's morning skate to play Wednesday night.

Despite telling reporters he was only "80 percent" healthy, he had a goal and three assists, including setting up Kris Letang's game-winning goal at 6:18 of the third period. While Crosby drew the attention in the Rangers' zone, he was able to slip a pass to Letang.

"(Crosby) had three guys around him and they left me alone," Letang told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I had a good chance to take my time and pick my spot."

All four of Crosby's points came in Pittsburgh's five-goal third-period outburst, which started with Jordan Staal's goal that broke a 1-1 tie. After setting up Letang, he had the primary assist on Petr Sykora's power-play goal at 10:01 of the third, then helped Letang score his second of the game, at 16:21 of the third.

"We did a great job in the third," Crosby said. "Staalsy started it off, that was big for us. We wanted to make sure that we started the period well early and we got the next goal. Staalsy started all that and we built off it from there."

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=406787&page=NewsPage&service=page

jzelenda
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
5 days off he should be more than 80%. Perhaps a ploy to screw with the Ranger's minds? Probably a gross underestimate on his part, or just before game time he was replaced with a cyborg from the future sent to lead the Penguins to the cup this year...

SidTheKid
01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
5 days off he should be more than 80%. Perhaps a ploy to screw with the Ranger's minds? Probably a gross underestimate on his part, or just before game time he was replaced with a cyborg from the future sent to lead the Penguins to the cup this year...

That sounds about right.

ShaunRiching9
01-29-2009, 10:27 PM
i love letang, hopefully we will build ont his win and get something going

jzelenda
01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
i love letang, hopefully we will build ont his win and get something going

I read an article months ago that had me thinking about Letang's offense problem. They interviewed Sid, Fleury, and Talbot and all 3 said the same thing of Letang. After every practice, game, etc Letang comes up to them and asks "Did I do good? Was it a good effort? Am I doing things right?"

That doesn't smack of confidence in a young star. I'm not saying he needs to get all Terrell Owens on us, and build a monster over-confidence to the point that he's reaching into his jock and pulling out a cellphone for a mock call after every goal. But I do think he needs to get his chin up a bit more, and do what I did when I was younger in my career: Make mistakes, recognize the good and the bad, learn from them, avoid them.

It's times like this I wish there was a grizzled veteran, a Reggie Dunlop if you will, to pull the kid aside and explain to him that slumps happen, mistakes happen, and the best was to get passed them is to pepper the bejesus out of all goalies with a barrage of howitzer shots that'll will leave them with more bumps and bruises than the worst mixed martial arts fighter.

http://www.slap-shot.com/Reg3c.jpg