PDA

View Full Version : Red Eyeing Luis Gonzalez (Bench Bat)

DieHardColtsfan
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Reds Interested In Luis Gonzalez

By Tim Dierkes [January 29 at 9:25am CST]
According to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon, the Reds are interested in adding outfielder Luis Gonzalez as a bench bat. GM Walt Jocketty admitted to liking Gonzalez, and the interest is mutual. The Pirates were said to have an eye on Gonzalez before their Eric Hinske signing became likely.

mlbtraderumors.com

Freel for prez
01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
This would be a great veteran clubhouse guy for our young team.

justinf30
01-29-2009, 04:04 PM
yea i agree, i would sign him

DieHardColtsfan
01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
no doubt you guys can use the Vet, but with Jay Bruce, Willy Taveres, Norris Hopper, Chris Dickerson & even Jerry Hariston Jr. i dont see it making sense carrying all those OF's, unless using him as a backup 1B..

Kinsm
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
A 41 yr. old aging vet (who was on roids) whose numbers are on the rapid decline does not make sense for this team (even as a bench player). He would be used primarily as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch hitter, which is something he has never really had to do and when he has...he has failed like last year. If they want a good LH pinch hitter they should be looking at Doug Mientkiewicz, he's seven years younger and his stats as a PH are .286/.385/.377! Furthermore at Gonzo's age he would not be used as a defensive replacement. And they do need a backup firstbaseman before they need another backup outfielder.

Also, what many are forgetting here is that it's not just the money being spent on Gonzo but it's the roster spot. As of right now the 40 man is full and I know I'd rather keep all of them than take on Gonzo and lose one of them.

I don't understand the arguement for an experienced vet for the young'ens...that is why you have coaches. If you want that then hire L. Gonzalez as an assistant to GM and have him follow the team around like M. Soto. Let's not forget that Hernandez, Weathers, Rhodes, AGon, Lincoln, Hairston, and Arroyo are all seasoned vets.

jlohm1
01-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Idk. I guess sign, but with caution

IowaAJ
01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Jocketty said at this point the Reds are only talking about minor league contracts with invites to camp.

He downplayed the possibility of Luis Gonzalez being signed.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "But that was several weeks ago."

The Reds have had contact with Ty Wigginton's representative.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "They're getting close to desperate stage. But we're really only looking at bench help. I think that's the only type of guys we'll bring in -- if we do that."

One thing to keep in mind about Type A free agents: If you sign them now, you lose a draft pick. If you sign them after the June draft, there's no compensation.

"It's a possibility that you'll see guys go until then," Jocketty said.

Assistant GM Bob Miller is handling the negotiations with Edwin Encarnacion. "He hasn't talked to (Encarnacion's) agent in a few days," Jocketty said. "I still think we'll settle, but it will probably happen closer to the hearing date

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3Ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3A89115852-7b06-47c5-b35e-a775f1266772&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Freel for prez
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm basically at the point where ill take anyone. We barely shopped at all and we traded Grif, Dunn, and Freel away...Many fans expected some signings this off season and for the most part there haven't been any. Taveras, Gomes, Hernandez, and Rhodes are not that great of signings IMO.

Dark_Red_Sox
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't mind having him. I'd much rather have Kevin Millar as a bench guy though. A great guy to have in the clubhouse with some homerun pop.

tooch
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
oh man hes a great guy to have around for the young players because he is a great person for them to look up to

Red13Hollywood
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't think Gonzo is a good fit in Cincinnati....i also agree that we need a back up to my man Votto.....god forbid anything happen to him. im thinking Mientkiewicz too he is solid with the leather.